Welcome Guest!
 ACEStalk
RE: Overuse of word  Daniel Puckett
 Sep 28, 2001 03:12 PDT
Pam,

Thanks for making me laugh! As bad as the substitution of "loved ones"
for "relatives" (or the clunky "family members") is the use of "souls"
for "people," as in "the loss of 6,000 souls at the World Trade Center."
The effect is oddly 19th century and sort of contentious (maybe I think
so just because I'm an atheist).

As for "massive," our new stylebook at the Times counsels confining it
to things that can have weight and not applying it to such things as
fires or to actions. So far, though, I haven't seen that the advice has
done much good.

Pam Robinson wrote:

    what i find REALLY ANNOYING! is the substitution of the phrase "loved
ones" for relatives. it's bad enough when counselors use it; why
journalists use it as a synonym for relatives is beyond me. and i
know--maybe a "loved one" isn't a blood relative, but usually it's goofy

writing. and another pet peeve, done to death right now: MASSIVE!

Daniel Puckett
St. Petersburg Times
St. Petersburg, Fla.