Welcome Guest!
 ACEStalk
RE: Spell Check Ban  Chris Wienandt
 Feb 18, 2004 11:02 PST

I don't know what program Dow Jones uses for writing and editing, but
any place that uses Microsoft Word or a variation of it (as we do in CCI
at The Dallas Morning News) should be aware of a nasty "feature":

Word will automatically change spellings without your realizing it if
you have a certain option selected. Unfortunately, this option isn't
under the Spelling and Grammar section of Tools. It's called
"Automatically use suggestions from the spelling checker," and it's
under the Tools-AutoCorrect menu, cleverly hidden away under the list of
entries, away from all the other checkboxes. TURN IT OFF! It's very
dangerous.

Wayne Countryman wrote:

What next, the burning of dictionaries? Prohibiting use of the Internet
for fact checking? The melting down of company cars?

Any tool can create problems if used incorrectly. Yes, I've seen spell
checking programs introduce errors to stories, but careful use by
professional newsroom employees will catch far more errors than will be
created.