Welcome Guest!
 ACEStalk
swift and sure?  Peter Fisk
 May 03, 2004 18:46 PDT

Anyone have reliable info on whether to cap "swift boat"? (Kerry's
combat vessel)

Snopes says it's a supposed acronym for "Shallow Water Inshore Fast
Tactical Craft." That sounds to me like a back-formed acronym, a la
“Patriot Act.” Even if it were a legitimate acronym, it would be in the
"radar" and "scuba” category, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm lowercasing it unless somebody proves it's named for a person named
Swift or other proper noun.