Welcome Guest!
 ACEStalk
Copy-editing amusement  apark-@aol.com
 Apr 19, 2006 22:57 PDT

Copy-editing amusement on Gawker and kausfiles.

The title of the Gawker piece ("Please Do Not Annoy, Torment, Pester,
Molest, Badger, Harass, Heckle, Tease, or Copyedit the Bigshot New
Editor") can be seen in the URL:

http://www.gawker.com/news/businessweek/please-do-not-annoy-torment-peste
r-molest-badger-harass-heckle-tease-or-copyedit-the-bigshot-new-editor-16
8333.php

Slate's Mickey Kaus, to whom I owe the Gawker reference, sides with the
bigshot new editor (http://www.slate.com/id/2140131/?nav=fix):

kf Resumes Kamikaze-like Assault on Copy Editors: I'm with DuBow. In
the formula

Mistakes entrenched copy editors catch - (mistakes they introduce +
good language they kill + delay they introduce (including delay of
trying to stop them from killing good language) + their salaries) = X

X is usually a negative number. ... 5:40 P.M.

****

Kaus has always been a jerk. For more on Kaus and copy editors, see
http://www.testycopyeditors.org/phpBB2/search.php?mode=results.

Alison Parker
Springfield, Mo.