Welcome Guest!
 ACEStalk
RE: less vs. fewer  Bill Walsh
 Dec 05, 2003 08:05 PST

Full context: Peter's post appears to be a rebuttal to a little essay I
posted (http://www.theslot.com/than.html). Please read both arguments
before coming to a conclusion.

In short, I think "10 items or fewer" sounds ridiculous, and I explored
why that might be. I concluded that the "or less" part should be read as
"or less than that." It is not necessarily an ellipsis for "or less than
10 items."

If we were talking about "10 or less items," I would be making the same
argument as Peter -- it would have to be "10 or fewer items."

-- Bill Walsh
www.theslot.com