Welcome Guest!
 ACEStalk
Re: swift and sure?  James Franklin
 May 05, 2004 08:20 PDT

In Boston, we get more than our share of John Kerry stories, and the matter
of how to describe the boat he commanded in Vietnam does come up regularly.
I don't think anyone has bothered to set a style rule on it.

The last time I handled a story on it, I did some checking and was satisfied
that Swift was the US Navy's designation for the vessel. Frankly, I don't
see why that should not be treated as a proper name, as we would treat the
nickname of an Air Force plane (Falcon, Hornet, etc.).

That being said, a check of our clips shows we have been pretty consistent
about using it in lower-case. My reservation about that is that the patrol
boat was not merely fast, a boat that moved swiftly, but rather a particular
configuration of patrol boat, which the Navy named a Swift boat.

But I operate on the other side of the room, so I have not had the occasion
to make that argument in my own shop.

-- Jim Franklin

James L. Franklin
Metro Slot, Night Desk