Welcome Guest!
 AV Media Matters
1" tape players  Douglas Bicknese
 Sep 14, 2004 05:33 PDT

We have recently acquired an old Ampex 1" tape player. We have a large
number of old 1" tapes, although I don't see us using the machine alot in
the near future. I mainly see it as a way to preview old tapes to help
decide which ones we really want to pay a vendor to migrate to new
formats.

The office that we received the machine from advised me that it is better
for the machine to keep it running all time. Given the age of the
machine and the fact that we will probably will not use it more than
several times a year, is it really better to keep it running all the
time?

Douglas A. Bicknese
University Archivist
University Library