Welcome Guest!
 AV Media Matters
Time for a change  James Lindner
 Aug 06, 2005 12:32 PDT

Dear Members,
As many of you who have subscribed to this list for years have no doubt
noted - the list has gotten VERY quiet. I do not think that this is
because there are any less issues to discuss, but perhaps it is time for
a different type of forum. Toward that end - Media Matters has
introduced the first Blog in our field. We feel that it is time to try
something new - and see if a Blog can perhaps serve the needs of this
community in a way that has not been tried before. I will maintain this
list for a period of time to be determined - and if members feel that
the list should remain in place - will continue it indefinately. If
however the traffic remains low and people feel that the Blog format
offers new potential, then I will eventually shut down this list in
favor of the Blog. It may be that both of them can actually serve
different needs and together a new type of discussion can occur and a
different type of forum may evolve. So I have no foregone conclusions -
lets see what happens.

This is the "official" notice of the Blog - I look forward to hearing
your comments on it. There are over 900 subscribers to this list - I
hope to hear what people think about what we have done.
This week Media Matters launched DAVA, the Digital Audiovisual Archiving
blog. Updated weekly, this blog will feature news and announcements on
topics related to the digital transformation and preservation of
audiovisual materials.   The blog will also list upcoming conferences
and workshops pertinent to archives and digital libraries, as well as
links to metadata resource sites and other digital archiving resources.
The blog will be maintained by Media Matters, and is intended to help
librarians, archivists, technologists, and anyone else who needs to stay
on top of information relating to the intersection of digital media and
audiovisual archives. With technology changing so rapidly, and the
general shift to migrating analog media assets to digital files, this
blog is a timely and useful resource for anyone involved with media
collection management.

DAVA can be found at http://av-archive.blogspot.com.

For questions or comments about DAVA, please contact Gilad Rosner at
gil-@media-matters.net.

www.media-matters.net

James Lindner

Moderator: AV Media Matters Listserve
To subscribe to AV Media Matters Listserve send an email to:
AV-Media-Matt-@topica.com