Welcome Guest!
 BBKN
BBK Newsletter #58  Randy Hall
 Jul 03, 2002 08:35 PDT
Bring Back Kirk Newsletter – Issue #58 – July 2002
The OFFICIAL Newsletter of the Official Bring Back Kirk Movement
www.bringbackkirk.com | www.bringbackkirk.com/UK |
www.bringbackkirk.com/germany
Recognized as an Official Movement by: www.shatner.com
And Very Special Accolades to: stgn.strek.com | www.1701b.com

-----------
HAILING FREQUENCIES OPEN
-----------

Now that we’re well into those lazy, hazy, crazy days, I’ve been looking
for cool novels to read, and I’ve seen several on the book store shelves
that feature Captain Kirk and the crew from Classic Trek. Has anyone
read “The Eugenics Wars,” parts 1 and 2, by Greg Cox; “In the Name of
Honor,” the first Trek novel from Dayton Ward; the first two
installments of “The Janus Gate” trilogy by L.A. Graf; or “The Last
Roundup,” another take on the final adventure of the original crew, by
Christie Golden? If you have and would like to share your opinion with
your fellow BBKers, send a note my way by writing to the email address
below, and your recommendation on which book to read (or not read) could
be part of an upcoming edition of this online newsletter.

Also, let me apologize for not making some additions and deletions to
the newsletter mailing list. Little trifles like a flat tire on the
editor’s yacht ate up the time I’d intended to use in getting those
done, but I promise to get that shipshape by next month.

Have a great July 4 holiday (if you celebrate Independence Day), and I
hope to see some of you at the Shore Leave convention in Hunt Valley,
Maryland, July 12-14!

Randy Hall
BBKNE-@aol.com
Editor, Bring Back Kirk Newsletter
“Never give up, never surrender!”

-----------
ISSUE OVERVIEW
-----------

~ FEATURES ~
o Bring Back Kirk News
o Editor’s Log
o BBK Calendar
o Letter-Writing and Participation Information
o Notices
o From the Captain’s Chair

-----------
BRING BACK KIRK NEWS
-----------

~ BRING BACK KIRK WEBSITE GETS NEW LOOK ~

From Heron: For those who haven’t viewed our official website at
www.bringbackkirk.com
in a while, you might want to take a look!

Thanks to one of our officials, Jay (Phineasbg), along with some very
much appreciated cooperation from Joe Beaudoin, we have a GREAT new
look! The format is similar, but Jay has added a few changes to make
things run more smoothly PLUS some fantastic photos! BEST of all, we
have a new trailer for everyone to see!

While Jason and Jay are planning yet another cooperative effort in the
future, and their work together is always OUTSTANDING, the current
trailer is nothing less than fantastic, and the work, as well as the
fun, of producing this one was a solo effort on Jay’s part!! You don’t
want to miss it!

Enjoy the new look of the site and, should you have any suggestions or
comments, please contact us at: Offic-@bringbackkirk.com!

~ INFO RELEASED ON NEXT SHATNER ET AL NOVEL ~

From TrekToday.com: Details were released in June about the latest novel
written by William Shatner (James T. Kirk) and set in the Star Trek
universe.

“The Captain’s Peril” was written by Shatner, with contributions from
his regular collaborators, Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. Set
mostly in the time of the original Trek, the book will be published in
hardcover format.

Courtesy of PsiPhi.com, here’s a synopsis of the book:

“The Dominion War is over. The Federation is at peace. What better time
for two legendary starship captains to set aside the demands of duty?

“But Captain James T. Kirk, displaced in time, must deal with a future
not of his making when he and Captain Jean-Luc Picard decide to take
some well-deserved time off. Arriving on Bajor to dive among ruins of an
ancient sunken city, the captains join a group of scientists. Isolated
with no hope of rescue, the entire group finds themselves the victims of
a murderous stalker. Can Kirk save their lives and his own heart as he
falls into the welcoming arms of a seductive and deadly alien commander
who is intent on making Kirk her own?

“Now, with time running out for a dying child trapped in the scientists’
camp and Picard missing after a diving disaster, Kirk must search his
memories of the past to relive one of his earliest adventures. He is
propelled into a harrowing personal journey that reveals the beginning
of his path from young Starfleet officer to renowned legend ... and a
completely unsuspected threat to the existence of all life in the
universe.”

“The Captain’s Peril” will be the seventh time the three authors have
collaborated on a novel exploring the adventures of Captain James T.
Kirk. It is currently scheduled for an October release.

More details on the book can be found at www.PsiPhi.com.

~ BBK SUPPORTER FEATURED IN NEW BOOK ON “TREKKERS” ~

Star Trek fandom has been the subject of doctoral theses, documentaries
and many, many publications. The latest book to deal with this
“fascinating” subject is called “Trekkers: True Stories by Fans for
Fans,” which compiles a number of brief vignettes from people all across
the quadrant and was edited by Nikki Stafford for ECW Press.

Of particular interest to those involved in the Bring Back Kirk campaign
is a tale printed on page 44 of the volume. While this passage doesn’t
deal directly with BBK, it comes from an enthusiastic supporter of our
effort: Stephanie Smith (whose email address is LtColKi-@aol.com).
Her contribution to this interesting softcover edition is entitled
“Arresting Krull” and is reprinted here with permission:

I am a member of a local Klingon club called House K’ralvaj and Starfest
2001 in April was one that I don’t think many of us will forget. Some of
our members ran the Brig, an attraction where someone is “arrested” and
they try to raise enough money for “bail.” The money goes to charity,
and on Saturday someone got the bright idea to arrest Cary-Hiroyuki
Tagawa, a former Next Generation guest star who was there to promote his
new movie, Planet of the Apes. Cary took it all in stride, even going so
far as to do this funny ape imitation while sitting in The Brig, and not
only did he pose for pictures with members of the House when he got out,
he gave one of the younger members an “ape-back” ride around the
Activities Room. Now a lot of stars might not do that, but Mr. Tagawa
really had fun and so did the kid. I have to give him major points for
that.

If you’d like more information about “Trekkers” or have a story or
experience you’d like to see included in sequels to this book, turn your
World Wide Web browser to http://www.ecwpress.com or contact the author
via email to je-@ecwpress.com. And if you “happen” to mention BBK in
your missive, that would be great, too!

-----------
EDITOR’S LOG: WE ARE NOT ALONE
By: Randy Hall (BBKNE-@aol.com)
-----------

A few days ago, I saw the trailer for the upcoming film, “Star Trek:
Nemesis,” which is likely to be the last movie to feature the cast of
The Next Generation. (If you want to see it, too, just go to the
startrek.com site and follow the links.)

I was most interested to note that what I saw on the screen (computer
screen, actually) didn’t deviate in any serious way from the online
script I read a few months ago. My opinion thus far of the 10th Trek
movie? Think of it as “The Wrath of Khan” with a bigger FX budget. I
guess if you’re going to “borrow” from Trek, you might as well take from
the best.

Over the next several months, we’re going to be bombarded with ever more
commercials and other teasers enticing us to head to local theaters on
December 13 (Friday the 13th, interestingly enough) to see if TNG can
pull its batting average up to .500 with two good even-numbered films to
balance out “Generations” and “Insurrection.”

In the midst of all the hype and hoopla, we’re likely to see or hear
little about our favorite Trek captain. And if we’ve already finished
reading the next Shatner et al novel, “The Captain’s Peril,” by then,
we’re likely to wonder if we’re the only people in the world who still
remember James T. Kirk with such fondness.

Simply put, we are NOT alone!.

When TV Guide finally got around to celebrating Star Trek’s 35th
anniversary (only eight months late, but who’s counting?) with not one,
not two, but 35(!) different covers featuring everyone from Kirk to
Archer and even Khan, that extravagant exercise at extracting our
hard-earned quatloos wasn’t sufficient.

Not long afterwards, the same company produced a full-sized tribute to
the occasion with a shiny cover displaying three Trek captains. Which
captains, you ask? Well, the one with the biggest picture happened to be
... Kirk! That’s right, the old fat guy with the toop was given the most
exposure on the cover! And why? Because the folks at TV Guide figured
(and rightly so) that the best way to sell that publication was to put a
picture of James T. right in the middle!

Of course, Picard was also on every cover at Kirk’s right, and Sisko,
Janeway, and Archer alternated filling the spot to the Kirkster’s left,
but it wasn’t hard to figure out who was the main attraction!

And you only had to go four pages into the magazine to find a
double-page spread on the Kirkmeister. I found the lead paragraph very
interesting: “James Tiberius Kirk. The name alone suggests–in fact, it
COMMANDS–greatness. And he more than lived up to it. Commander of the
original Enterprise in its landmark five-year journey through space,
Kirk (played by a then-little-known Shakespearean actor from Canada
named William Shatner) became the superstar of captains with his mission
‘to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new
civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.’” Not too
shabby an assessment, if you ask me.

Let’s move to the final paragraph of the article: “Movie-star handsome,
the red-blooded Iowan had an insatiable appetite for the ladies. But
Kirk’s primary lust was for life itself. He was a remarkable leader, an
inspiring citizen, a true-blue pal and an audacious risk-taker who saved
Earth from destruction more times than we can count. It was Kirk who
went back in time and stopped the Nazis from developing the A-bomb. He
is–like Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett–a true
American folk hero.”

Kirk in the same category as Paul Bunyan and Daniel Boone? Yeah, I can
get into that!

But if that’s not enough, let’s turn to a magazine that deals almost
exclusively with science fiction and related areas. Cinescape #59 was a
special edition that provided “A Guide to DVD” with more than 100
“reviews of the best sci-fi, fantasy, horror, action, thriller, and
animated DVDs.”

On page 92, the magazine lists “The 50 Most Powerful Characters in Genre
Entertainment” for 2002. At first glance, this doesn’t provide us with
much to cheer about, since Kirk isn’t on the list while Picard is.
However, on page 107, there’s another list entitled “Five We Miss,” and
guess who’s at the top of that!

“James T. Kirk: Now and forever, the greatest captain of the starship
Enterprise who saved the universe from marauding aliens, killer doomsday
machines and cleavage-baring harlots. Can even talk a computer to death
in five minutes or less. Kept the Earth safe for future spinoffs.”

All of this comes our way more than 35 years after Captain Kirk first
made his way into the final frontier and our living rooms, not to
mention about a decade after that character was killed and supposed to
be gone for good.

We are definitely NOT alone in wanting him back for at least one more
glorious adventure! Let’s keep the faith and Bring Back Kirk!

Randy Hall
BBKNE-@aol.com
Editor, Bring Back Kirk Newsletter
“Never give up, never surrender!”

-----------
BBK CALENDAR
-----------

TV SCHEDULES

Sci-Fi Channel (Cable, USA)
Episodes air most weeknights at 6 p.m.

Monday, July 1
“Shore Leave”
Tuesday, July 2
“The Galileo Seven”
Wednesday, July 3
“The Squire of Gothos”

Monday, July 8
“Arena”
Tuesday, July 9
“Tomorrow Is Yesterday”
Wednesday, July 10
“Court Martial”
Thursday, July 11
“The Return of the Archons”
Friday, July 12
“Space Seed”

Monday, July 15
“A Taste of Armageddon”
Tuesday, July 16
“This Side of Paradise”
Wednesday, July 17
“The Devil in the Dark”
Thursday, July 18
“Errand of Mercy”
Friday, July 19
“The Alternative Factor”

Monday, July 22
“The City on the Edge of Forever”
Tuesday, July 23
“Operation: Annihilate”
Wednesday, July 24
“Amok Time”
Thursday, July 25
“Who Mourns for Adonais?”
Friday, July 26
“The Changeling”

Monday, July 29
“Mirror, Mirror”
Tuesday, July 30
“The Apple”
Wednesday, July 31
“The Doomsday Machine”

Space! Channel (Canada)

Tuesday, July 2
10 a.m.: “The Doomsday Machine”
2 p.m.: “The Return of the Archons”
Wednesday, July 3
10 a.m.: “Catspaw”
2 p.m.: “Space Seed”
Thursday, July 4
10 a.m.: “I, Mudd”
2 p.m.: “A Taste of Armageddon”
Friday, July 5
10 a.m.: “Metamorphosis”
(This episodes will be shown again at 10 a.m. Saturday.)
2 p.m.: “This Side of Paradise”

Monday, July 8
10 a.m.: “Journey to Babel”
2 p.m.: “Devil in the Dark”
Tuesday, July 9
10 a.m.: “Friday’s Child”
2 p.m.: “Errand of Mercy”
Wednesday, July 10
10 a.m.: “The Deadly Years”
2 p.m.: “The Alternative Factor”
Thursday, July 11
10 a.m.: “Obsession”
2 p.m.: “The City on the Edge of Forever”
Friday, July 12
10 a.m.: “Wolf in the Fold”
(This episode will be shown again at 10 a.m. Saturday.)
2 p.m.: “Operation: Annihilate”

Monday, July 15
10 a.m.: “The Trouble With Tribbles”
2 p.m.: “Amok Time”
Tuesday, July 16
10 a.m.: “The Gamesters of Triskelion”
2 p.m.: “Who Mourns for Adonais?”
Wednesday, July 17
10 a.m.: “A Piece of the Action”
2 p.m.: “The Changeling”
Thursday, July 18
10 a.m.: “The Immunity Syndrome”
2 p.m.: “Mirror, Mirror”
Friday, July 19
10 a.m.: “A Private Little War”
(This episode will be shown again at 10 a.m. Saturday.)
2 p.m.: “The Apple”

Monday, July 22
10 a.m.: “Return to Tomorrow”
2 a.m.: “The Doomsday Machine”
Tuesday, July 23
10 a.m.: “Patterns of Force”
2 p.m.: “Catspaw”
Wednesday, July 24
10 a.m.: “By Any Other Name”
2 p.m.: “I, Mudd”
Thursday, July 25
10 a.m.: “The Omega Glory”
2 p.m.: “Metamorphosis”
Friday, July 26
10 a.m.: “The Ultimate Computer”
(This episode will be shown again at 10 a.m. Saturday.)
2 p.m.: “Journey to Babel”

Monday, July 29
10 a.m.: “Bread and Circuses”
2 p.m.: “Friday’s Child”
Tuesday, July 30
10 a.m.: “Assignment: Earth”
2 p.m.: “The Deadly Years”
Wednesday, July 31
10 a.m.: “Spock’ Brain”
2 p.m.: “Obsession”

CONVENTION APPEARANCES

Sunday, July 14
William Shatner will join Leonard Nimoy as a guest at the Creation
convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota. For more information, check out
the Creation website at http://www.creationent.com.(If you plan on being
there and would be willing to take along some BBK flyers, drop ye editor
an email at BBKNE-@aol.com and join a group of terrific people
who’ve gotten our message out at other cons where Shatner was a guest.)

SPECIAL APPEARANCE

Thursday, July 4
“The Best Damn Sports Show Period:” Bill will be the recipient of the
award for the Best Damn Guest Instruction (how to slide across a police
car) at the First Annual Dammie Awards on Thursday, July 4th, on Fox
Sports Net. Check your local listings for time.

-----------
LETTER WRITING AND PARTICIPATION INFORMATION
-----------

Instead of including information in every issue, we’ve decided to refer
you to the following pages upon BringBackKirk.com for more comprehensive
information:

Letter-Writing Information:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/letters.html

Letter-Writing Schedule:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/schedule.html

Letter-Writing Addresses:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/addresses.html

Download Flyers:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/flyers.html (All Flyers)
     http://www.btinternet.com/~bbkuk/flyer.htm (All Flyers)
     http://www.treknewsletter.com/flyer.doc (English-Version Only)
     http://hometown.aol.com/captapril/flyer.html (Captain April’s
Flyer)

When you mail your letters, we ask that you send a quick, brief note to
us at offic-@bringbackkirk.com to let us know, so that we can keep a
tally of the letters sent in! We do appreciate hearing from you!

-----------
NOTICES
-----------

If you are interested in contacting the campaign directly for any
reason, please do so by mailing offic-@bringbackkirk.com.

“Star Trek”® is a registered trademark of Paramount Pictures, a Viacom
Company. All related properties to the “Star Trek” franchise are owned
by Paramount Pictures, a Viacom Company. All other trademarks and
copyrights mentioned in this newsletter are the property of their
respective holders.

Some of the views expressed in this newsletter are the respective views
of the individual writer, and thus may not be the same as this
newsletter and its representing campaign, The Official Bring Back Kirk
Campaign, holds.

FROM THE CAPTAIN’S CHAIR

“What I have done ... I had to do..”
“But at what cost? Your ship ... your son.”
“If I hadn’t tried, the cost would have been my soul.”

–Kirk and Sarek discuss the price of events in “Star Trek III: The
Search for Spock.”

Until next issue, hailing frequencies closed!