Welcome Guest!
 BBKN
Bring Back Kirk Newsletter -- Issue #42 -- Monday, April 16, 2001  Joe Beaudoin
 Apr 16, 2001 13:44 PDT
Bring Back Kirk Newsletter -- Issue #42 -- Monday, April 16, 2001
The OFFICIAL Newsletter of the Official Bring Back Kirk Movement
www.bringbackkirk.com | www.bringbackkirk.com/UK |
www.bringbackkirk.com/germany
Recognized as an Official Movement by: www.shatner.com
And Very Special Accolades to: stgn.strek.com | treknation.com/syfyworld
| www.1701b.com

-----------
SOME WORDS FROM THE EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
-----------

As usual, a lot of behind-the-scenes activity is happening within the
effort. With the advent of very supportive articles about William
Shatner from not only two well-known Star Trek magazines, but with the
article in the Washington Post as well, we are finding that we have been
given an opportunity to show Paramount, Viacom, and the
movers-and-shakers within the Hollywood community that Kirk can be
brought back -- and if done correctly, it can most definitely benefit
them.

In this issue, we have provided information on how to get into contact
with the editors of these publications, as well as news from other
fronts as well.

There will definitely be more news next issue, when we unveil our new
letter-writing efforts, flyer, and more!

Regards,

Joe Beaudoin
Editor-In-Chief
BBKNews-@aol.com
http://www.bringbackkirk.com/bbkn/overview.html

-----------
ISSUE OVERVIEW
-----------

~ FRESH FEATURES ~
o Bring Back Kirk News
o Mail-In to Star Trek Magazines!
o Conventional Thinking

~ GENERAL/REGULAR INFORMATION ~
o Letter-Writing Schedule
o TV Movie/Mini-Series Addresses
o Logging Letters
o Flyer Distribution

-----------
BRING BACK KIRK NEWS
-----------

~ WASHINGTONPOST.COM THINKS THEY’VE FOUND THE “REAL FACE OF WILLIAM
SHATNER”~

The Washington Post and its website, WashingtonPost.com, have posted a
new article on William Shatner covering his life, career, and admiring
fans. This is a very good article and a great read that will put a smile
on your face. Go to:

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62461-2001Apr9.html

If you find that you cannot reach that link without getting an error, do
the following:

1. Go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/
2. Go to the Style section
3. Go to the "Week in Style" section and click on the link entitled "The
Real Face of William Shatner."

~ MORE SHATNER COVERAGE IN STAR TREK MAGAZINES ~

The official publication from Viacom, owners of Paramount Studios (who
in turn own Star Trek and its related trademarks), Star Trek: The
Magazine #25 has a cover-featured interview with William Shatner. The
Bring Back Kirk effort is encouraging all supporters to go out and get
the magazine, or at the very least, mail in to the magazine’s editors in
support of the effort.

Also, the new issue of the Star Trek Communicator, which is produced by
the Official Star Trek Fan Club, has a cover-featured interview with
Shatner. You can probably find copies of issue #132 right next to Star
Trek: The Magazine in your local bookstores, including Waldenbooks, B.
Dalton, Borders, or Barnes and Noble.

More information can be located after the news section of this issue.

~ LAST PHASE TO END WITH PUSH TO McCLUGGAGE ~

The last phase of the first letter-writing effort of the year is ending
with a final mail deluge to Kerry McCluggage, which will span from
Sunday, April 15th, to the Saturday, April 28th. Information is located
below Randy Hall’s newest Conventional Thinking!

~ FLYERS DID WELL AT I-CON 20 ~

As subscribers to the newsletter may already be aware, Shawn O’Donnell
and Chris Feehan featured about 100 of our flyers at their table for
their international Battlestar Galactica Fan Club at the recent I-CON 20
convention. O’Donnell, who co-presides the fan club with friend and
fellow fan Feehan, reports that the flyers did quite well at the con
despite the obvious focus to BSG – particularly the news about its
return under the auspices of X-Men partners-in-crime Bryan Singer and
Tom DeSanto.

Also featured at the con was a 30-minute videotaped address regarding
his hopes, dreams, thoughts, and words of support on the new Battlestar
Galactica television series (which is available at BattlestarFanClub.com
in multiple formats and two different versions).

For further information on Battlestar Galactica and the current efforts
of a revival, please go to one or any of the following sites:

www.battlestargalactica.com
www.battlestarfanclub.com
www.bginfosphere.com

-----------
MAIL-IN TO STAR TREK MAGAZINES!
-----------

With all the increased interest in William Shatner and the famous
character of Captain James T. Kirk, we think this is a wonderful
opportunity to mail the editors and fill the mailbags of the two
magazines (and newspaper) that have featured Shatner recently. Below, we
have both the postal and e-mail addresses for both magazines and the
newspaper so you can send in your letters promoting and supporting the
campaign!

Washington Post

E-Mail: webn-@washingtonpost.com
Postal:
Letters to the Editor
The Washington Post
1150 15th Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20071

Star Trek: Communicator

E-Mail: stced-@startrek.com
Postal:
The Official Fan Club, Inc.
3720 Revere St.
Denver, CO 80239 U.S.A.

Star Trek: The Magazine

E-mail: stmag-@aol.com
Postal:
Star Trek: The Magazine
419 North Larchmont Blvd.
Suite 7
Los Angeles, CA 90004

All we ask is that you represent your opinions in a mature and direct
manner! Let the message be spread forth that Kirk CAN still be returned
in some form!

-----------
CONVENTIONAL THINKING: A TRULY “GRAND” SLAM–II
By: Randy Hall (Randy-@aol.com)
-----------

Is this a great time to be involved with BBK or what? Well, I hope you
can take a momentary break from reading all those terrific articles
about William Shatner and writing letters to those publications to join
me in one last look back at the Grand Slam convention put on by Creation
Entertainment in Pasadena, California, March 30-April 1.

As I pointed out last issue, BBK had a significant presence at that con.
Not only did the BBK trailer get shown to hundreds of Star Trek fans,
but 100 flyers got distributed, too. And with Shatner and Ricardo
Montalban on the stage for the convention’s biggest day, it was a great
time for our campaign!

But that’s not to say there weren’t other things of interest to BBK
people. I had a wonderful time in the autograph room getting signatures
from people who were guest stars in Classic Trek episodes. As I finished
obtaining an autograph from Tige Andrews, who played the Klingon Kras in
“Friday’s Child” (the episode in which Julie Newmar called Klingons
“Kling-uns”), I looked down the aisle and saw Michael Dante, the actor
who was Maab, the Capellan leader he killed at the end of that show. And
they were laughing and having a good time together. Nice to see that
after 35 years, neither of them held a grudge!

I later learned that the folks at Creation had gone all out to bring in
people who hadn’t done the autograph thing before. One of those was
Malachi Throne, the distinguished actor who portrayed Commodore Mendez
in “The Menagerie.” As he was signing a picture for me, I told him I
could always tell someone who hadn’t seen that two-parter before because
that person’s jaw always fell to the floor when Mendez disappeared.
(That’s how I reacted the first time I saw it, too.) Throne chuckled and
joked that this role was the most work he ever did while not actually
being there!

By this time, the convention had almost turned into a family reunion for
me. I want to share one other story, which was told to me by Booker
Marshall, who played Doctor M’Benga in two original series episodes. It
seems that filming on “A Private Little War” was humming along smoothly
when it came time to shoot the scene where M’Benga comes into Sickbay
and helps Spock come out of his healing trance by slugging him across
the face a few times. Well, Leonard Nimoy had somewhere to be, so he was
in a hurry to get that scene finished. With this in mind, he told
Marshall to get it done the first time and “give me all you’ve got” when
he punched him. Needless to say, Marshall was concerned, but hey, he was
just a guest star after all.

The director shouted “Action!” Marshall ran up to Nimoy and hit him with
as much strength as he could muster. The resulting impact knocked
Nimoy’s pointed ears right off! Marshall apologized profusely, but the
damage was done. It took two hours to put Spock’s ears back on and after
that, go back and do the scene again. Another day on the set of Star
Trek!

As you can tell, I really enjoyed myself at the Grand Slam, but I do
want to discuss one more thing that happened there. The last speaker to
come up on the stage on the last day of the convention was ... Brannon
Braga. He showed up just after several folks from the Voyager cast had
kept a full auditorium laughing for nearly an hour. However, once those
actors left and Braga appeared, you could practically feel the
temperature in the room drop like a rock. Accounting for part of this
chilly reception was the fact that a lot of the people got up and headed
off to get autographs, cruise the dealers’ room, or leave for home.

Things didn’t get any better when Braga announced that he couldn’t
announce anything since the fifth Trek series was still under wraps
until Paramount did the official announcing. (But he did guarantee us
that the show will be “cool.”) Then he told us he wasn’t involved in the
next Trek movie, so he couldn’t really tell us anything about that,
either. By this time, we had gone from a full house to having less than
one-fourth of the seats still occupied. Some folks went up to the
microphones on either side of the stage and asked him some questions,
but most of those dealt with things he’d already said he couldn’t talk
about.

After a fairly uncomfortable 15 or 20 minutes, Braga thanked those who
remained for watching Voyager and left the stage. I wonder if there’d
have been anyone left in the auditorium at all if the costume call
hadn’t been scheduled as the next and very last event of the three-day
convention.

And yes, I realize that I could have hit Braga with a tough question
about why Captain Kirk (and Classic Trek, for that matter) are so
overlooked during Trek’s 35th anniversary, but I didn’t see the point in
irritating him in front of so few people. We already know where he
stands on this, sadly. It was bad enough that the Excelsior campaign had
been downgraded during that weekend, and I was too happy with all the
good things that had happened regarding BBK to end my good time on such
a sour note.

Nevertheless, the three-day event was a terrific experience, and I hope
the BBK campaign has gotten a real boost from this year’s Grand Slam. I
know I did!

Convention calendar
It looks like putting on the Grand Slam has exhausted the folks at
Creation since they don’t have any Trek conventions slated for the next
few weeks. The same seems to be true of Slanted Fedora, so I guess
everyone is gearing up for the big summer convention season.

Next issue: Back to sci-fi magazines (unless I think of something great
between now and then)

Randy Hall
Randy-@aol.com
BBK Convention Coordinator
“Never give up, never surrender!”
And I’m still working on something witty to go here...

-----------
LETTER-WRITING SCHEDULE
-----------

The new 2001 letter-writing schedule has been released, with the same
purpose as the last one! Let us end this letter-writing initiative with
a strong ending, as we did a strong beginning.

If you wish, you may print this portion of the NL also or note the dates
down on a calendar, schedule or a sheet of paper for future reference.
:-)

-------

LETTER-WRITING PLAN: PHASE I, PART II

Objective: Second Wave of Requests in the year 2001 for a Kirk Return TV
Movie or Mini-Series
Span: Two weeks per person, six weeks total

March 18 - March 31: Mr. Mel Karmazin **COMPLETE**
April 1 - April 14: Mr. Jonathan L. Dolgen **COMPLETE**
April 15 - April 28: Mr. Kerry McCluggage **NOW!!!**

-------

At any time in these six-week periods, you can write to either Mr.
Jonathan L. Dolgen or Mr. Rick Berman. Addresses can be located below
this column.

Please remember to include that Kirk’s return would be financially
beneficial for Paramount and how universal knowledge of the character
can help make Paramount and the faltering, $800-million-dollar
cost-prohibitive United Paramount Network increase its viewership!

-----------
TV MOVIE/MINI-SERIES ADDRESSES
-----------

Listed below are the three primary people who are to be mailed during
the letter-writing phase, as well as a secondary address (for Rick
Berman) that you may use at your own convenience.

PRIMARY ADDRESSES

Mr. Mel Karmazin
CEO Infinity Broadcasting
c/o CBS
51 W. 52nd St.
New York, NY 10019

Jonathan L. Dolgen
Chairman of Viacom Entertainment Group
Viacom, 1515 Broadway, 52nd Floor
New York, NY 10036-5794

~ or ~

Jonathan L. Dolgen
c/o Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Kerry McCluggage
c/o Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038

SECONDARY ADDRESSES:

Mr. Rick Berman
c/o Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038

-----------
LOGGING LETTERS
-----------

To further our awareness of the extent of this campaign, we must be able
to know who mailed letters and how many. In order for us to do so, we
ask that you simply send the officials (offic-@bringbackkirk.com) an
e-mail saying that you've sent a letter or letters to any person whom
you are trying to persuade to bring back James T. Kirk. Simple.

What are you waiting for? The 23rd century? Send us a note on how many
letters you've sent -- today!

-----------
FLYER DISTRIBUTION
-----------

All of our flyers have been recently updated to include the new
letter-writing information and the new links for the Newsletter, and are
available in Portuguese-European dialect, German, and English.

Whether you live in the United Kingdom or the United States of America,
there’s one for your country! Download ‘em and distribute them to
friends and at conventions, give one to someone at your workplace, or
maybe give them to someone who wants to know more! Anyway, the key is
distribution -- and downloading them at the following addresses first.
Pick and choose one location to download them at!

o BringBackKirk.com http://www.bringbackkirk.com
o Bring Back Kirk U.K. http://www.btinternet.com/~bbkuk/flyer.htm
o The Trekker Newsletter: http://www.treknewsletter.com/flyer.doc
o SyFy World: http://www.treknation.com/syfyworld/bbk.shtml
o CaptApril’s Site: http://hometown.aol.com/captapril/flyer.html

Our special thanks go to the Trekker Newsletter & SyFy World for
displaying our official flyers for download.

Again, distribution of these flyers requires ACTIVE CAMPAIGNING, which
includes spreading them around to Trek and sci-fi fan clubs and
conventions -- or wherever else flyers are welcome! Remember: You CAN
make a difference!