Welcome Guest!
 BBKN
BBK Newsletter #55  Randy Hall
 Jan 21, 2002 21:47 PST
Bring Back Kirk Newsletter – Issue #55 – Monday, January 21, 2002
The OFFICIAL Newsletter of the Official Bring Back Kirk Movement
www.bringbackkirk.com | www.bringbackkirk.com/UK |
www.bringbackkirk.com/germany
Recognized as an Official Movement by: www.shatner.com
And Very Special Accolades to: stgn.strek.com | www.1701b.com

-----------
HAILING FREQUENCIES OPEN
-----------

A belated welcome to the new year and the start of what will hopefully
be a great time for the Bring Back Kirk campaign. This is the first
issue of the “upgraded” Bring Back Kirk Newsletter. As you’ll soon see,
I’ve gussied the place up a bit while holding onto what I consider the
essence of our online publication: the desire to have Kirk return in
canon to the Star Trek universe for at least one final, glorious
adventure.

Hopefully, you’ve already seen one change to the BBKN format in the
first Red Alert, something I’d hoped to do in order to get word out to
everyone when something happens that’s too important to wait for another
edition of our bi-weekly publication. I can see that many of you did
indeed receive that missive and have posted in the Trek BBS World Wide
Web site. I hope those of you who are new to that area will stick around
and join in some of the discussions that get going there, particularly
those dealing with our favorite starship captain! And you never know
when another Red Alert will appear in your electronic mailbox, so keep
your phasers on stun and all that good stuff!

While there isn’t a lot of BBK news to share this time around, I think
you’ll find it worth reading and keeping up with. In one of the next
couple of upcoming editions, I’ll start posting an Editor’s Log that
will contain ye editor’s thoughts and observations on anything related
to the effort to Bring Back Kirk. Nevertheless, because of another
BBKer’s desire to let everyone know what happened at the recent Slanted
Fedora convention just outside New York City, there is a special posting
of Conventional Thinking in this issue, as well as an always-special
installment of the Strange New Worlds column.

Speaking of Conventional Thinking, you’ll notice that I’ve pulled the
calendar section out of that and added it to some other items to make a
separate BBK Calendar. I know we all look forward to watching episodes
and movies featuring Kirk and company, so I’ve posted what’s coming in
the U.S. on the Sci-Fi Channel on cable and the Space! Channel in
Canada. If you know where I can find information on Classic Trek
episodes being shown elsewhere, drop me a line and tell me where I can
find that data in advance. I know that after reading Jason’s SNW column
this time, I definitely want to re-watch some of the original series’
classics!

Another thing I felt the need to tinker with was the end of the
newsletter. I don’t know how many of you have been hanging on until the
end of each issue, but I figure that if you made it that far, you
deserve to get something special! Therefore, each edition will end with
“From the Captain’s Chair,” a statement or quote by or about Captain
James T. Kirk.

So I hope everyone will take the time to read through this issue and
share your thoughts or comments with me. Have I dropped something you
think should still be around? Or would you like to see something new
appear in our newsletter? Please let me know what you think by sending
an email to me at BBKNE-@aol.com. I’ll do my best to respond to each
and every missive I get, and if we work together, I hope we can make
each issue as entertaining and informational as possible!

Randy Hall
BBKNE-@aol.com
Editor, Bring Back Kirk Newsletter
“Never give up, never surrender!”

-----------
ISSUE OVERVIEW
-----------

~ FEATURES ~
o Letter-Writing and Participation Information
o Bring Back Kirk News
o Conventional Thinking
o Brave New Worlds
o BBK Calendar
o Notices
o From the Captain’s Chair

-----------
LETTER WRITING AND PARTICIPATION INFORMATION
-----------

Instead of including information in every issue, we’ve decided to refer
you to the following pages upon BringBackKirk.com for more comprehensive
information:

Letter-Writing Information:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/letters.html

Letter-Writing Schedule:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/schedule.html

Letter-Writing Addresses:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/addresses.html

Download Flyers:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/flyers.html (All Flyers)
     http://www.btinternet.com/~bbkuk/flyer.htm (All Flyers)
     http://www.treknewsletter.com/flyer.doc (English-Version Only)
     http://hometown.aol.com/captapril/flyer.html (Captain April’s
Flyer)

When you mail your letters, we ask that you send a quick, brief note to
us at offic-@bringbackkirk.com to let us know, so that we can keep a
tally of the letters sent in! We do appreciate hearing from you!

-----------
BRING BACK KIRK NEWS
-----------

~ UPDATE: SHATNER VISITS TREK BBS ~

Since our first Red Alert went out last week, several people from the
BBK effort have visited the Trek BBS and posted their thoughts and
comments for others to see. Just to show that ye editor doesn’t know
everything (I advised everyone to go slow and be as inconspicuous as
possible), Captain April went right in and started a topic entitled
“BRING BACK KIRK,” and the discussion there has so far been very
positive!

Along with more than 350 posts in Shatner’s original thread, a follow-up
discussion has started as the man who brings Kirk to life responded to
the many messages that had been addressed to him, and the number of
postings in that thread is now climbing rapidly.

If you haven’t had a chance to check out what’s been happening in the
Trek BBS, simply point your World Wide Web browser to the following
site, http://trekbbs.com, and check out the area dedicated to “The
Original Series.”

~ SHATNER “WORKING ON” SCIENCE BOOK ~

Along with collaborating on a number of science-fiction novels
(including the Kirk books he writes with Judith and Garfield
Reeves-Stevens), William Shatner has joined forces with another writer
on a hardcover dealing with science fact, according to information
posted at the PsiPhi Web site (http://www.psiphi.org).

Slated to be released in August of this year, the book is called “I’m
Working on That: A Trek From Science Fiction to Science Fact” and is the
result of Shatner’s work with another writer, William J. Walter.

The title is a quote from Professor Stephen Hawking when he was shown
the warp core on the engineering set of Star Trek: The Next Generation
while he was filming the episode “Descent: Part 1.”

More information on this project, including its price, will be posted
here as details become available.

-----------
CONVENTIONAL THINKING: BBK NEAR THE BIG APPLE
By: Randy Hall (BBKNE-@aol.com)
-----------

Once the holidays were behind me (and for that matter, 2001), I decided
to join some friends in attending a major Slanted Fedora convention held
on the first weekend of the new year in East Rutherford, New Jersey
(just west of New York City).

The guest list was long and impressive, as many actors from the first
four Treks came by to sign autographs and talk with the hundreds of fans
who turned out for what the organizers have stated will be an annual
event.

While I was busily gathering autographs and attending the stars’ talks,
another BBKer was there. This was Steve Dougherty, a physics teacher who
lives in Morris County, New Jersey, who has been a fan of Classic Trek
ever since the days of syndication in the 1970s and credits a certain
pointy-eared bridge officer with encouraging his love for science,
though he assures one and all that Kirk is still his hero! And he
brought along someone from “the next generation” to share his love for
Trek.

By the way, I realize Steve’s report is a tad long, but I think it’s
worth sharing with everyone as a reminder that people from the other
Treks are nice folks, too.

“I have to admit at the beginning of this tale that my daughter, Mary,
and I were unable to make it to the first day of the con, Friday,
January 4, as we both had school. I am a teacher, and she is a student.
I could almost justify my calling in sick, but I couldn’t set that kind
of example for a fourth grader. Unfortunately, we missed Jimmy Doohan
(Scotty), Nichelle Nichols (Uhura), and Kate Mulgrew (Janeway on
Voyager) due to my insistence that we play by the rules. Also, this
convention was supposed to have “the four captains” as guests, but due
to the Next Generation crew’s filming schedule of the upcoming Nemesis
movie and Kate Mulgrew’s involvement with that project, only the
original series and Voyager casts were at hand. We still had a great
time.

“Saturday morning, January 5, 2002

“We arrived just as the show was getting underway. At 11 a.m., we went
to see George Takei and Walter Koenig talk and answer questions onstage.
George was very funny, but he also gave a short speech about September
11 that was very moving. He was going to “Ground Zero” the following
Monday to see the damage for himself. The majority of the questions for
Walter dealt with the Babylon 5 TV series.

“Later in the day, as we returned from lunch, Mary and I met Walter
Koenig in the lobby, and he sat with her and signed her picture: ‘To
Mary: Love, Walter Koenig.’ She was thrilled. What a nice guy, too. He
sat and talked to her for about five minutes.

“We then went upstairs for George Takei’s autograph. At the signature
desk in front of us was a New York City fireman who had 20 or so
Hamilton plates that George signed for all of the guys in his firehouse.
We didn’t mind waiting until that was done because those guys deserve
it. Then it was our turn, and as the line wasn’t that long, he talked to
us for a few minutes, too. I asked him about his recent appearance on
The Chronicle, a new show on the Sci-Fi Channel. He seemed surprised
that I had just seen it since it was filmed over a year ago. We talked
about the way the story was supposed to take place in New York City’s
Chinatown but had actually been filmed in San Diego, California. He
asked if I’d noticed the palm trees in the background. I hadn’t, which
he thought was pretty funny. He was very nice to us, and I took a
picture of him with my daughter. She was very impressed by him, too. He
ended up joking with her about the Vulcan salute.

“After this, my daughter met John de Lancie (Q on Next Gen and Voyager)
in the hallway, and he graciously signed her picture. As my camera
wouldn’t flash at that point, we thought the picture was lost, but I got
the camera working in a few minutes, so she went back to ask him again
for his picture. He was again very gracious, and Mary now has her prized
photo. I have to admit here that Mary is much more of a fan of Voyager
than the original series, so she was thrilled. Later, we ended up having
a drink in the sports bar with Ethan Phillips and his family. I told him
we had his cookbook at home and that the kids and I use it all the time.
Great guy. What a surreal experience it was to have a beer with Neelix,
the Talaxian cook from Voyager.

“We attended a talk by Avery Brooks (Sisko from Deep Space Nine) in the
afternoon. I still can’t get past thinking of him as Hawk in Spencer for
Hire. Later in the day, we met Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris from
Voyager). To bring the day to an end, we each bought ourselves a walking
tribble.

“Sunday, January 6, 2002

“Today was Shatner and Nimoy Day! We got to the hotel about 10:30 a.m.
and were immediately tipped off by one of the convention people (whom my
daughter had befriended the day before) that the limo was on its way. We
went to the lobby to wait and hid our badges, as the lobby was cleared
of anyone who had a convention pass. Fortunately, the members of the
Green Bay Packers football team were also in the hotel that morning
since they were playing the New York Giants at the stadium across the
street, so we went unnoticed in the confusion. I was fixing coffee when
the front door opened, and Leonard Nimoy walked past. I managed to
squeak out a small “hi,” which received a reply of “Good morning” from
Mr. Spock! He passed, and my daughter went to William Shatner as he
walked past to ask for a picture. He replied with a pat on her shoulder
“Not now, dear. We have a schedule to keep.” My daughter was a little
upset, but she talked to her convention friend later in the day and was
told that he couldn’t stop once he was inside the lobby for security
reasons. Once she understood, she thought it was cool that he had
touched her shoulder and actually spoken to her, something she will
never forget.

“After this excitement, we got in line to meet Robert Picardo (the
Doctor from Voyager). I stepped out of line to get a photo and became
separated from my daughter. I tried to get ahead to find her, but the
guards monitoring the line were reluctant to let me pass until I told
them that I had lost my 10-year-old. They immediately let me into the
room where the Voyager cast was signing and there, sitting with Robert
Duncan McNeill, was my daughter, crying. He was trying his best to
console her, but she wouldn’t calm down until I found her. Then she
became embarrassed. God, I felt awful. Even the people in line were
sympathetic. Apparently, she went ahead while I wasn’t paying attention,
and when she couldn’t find me, she went to “Tom Paris.” We had already
met him, and I guess she felt comfortable with him. I went to claim her
and apologize for being such a lame parent. He said: “Don’t feel bad. I
lost my son in Chuckie Cheese’s last week.” He then signed a picture for
her: “To My Good Friend, Mary.” He made her promise to stop crying, and
we went on our way. On our way out, she waved at John de Lancie and said
“Hi, Mr. Q.” He smiled back and waved.

“Later in the day, our convention crew friend (who kept running into us
and asking Mary if she was having a good time) found us coming out of
the Shatner-Nimoy talk and took us to personally meet the rest of the
Voyager cast. When she came to McNeill, he said: “I know Mary. We’re old
friends.” She was so proud. As we left, he asked her if she would be
back next year, and he promised he would see her then. This in itself
was probably one of the high points of her life, and even two weeks
later, she cannot believe that Robert Duncan McNeill is a personal
friend of hers!

“Shatner and Nimoy were magic together onstage. Apparently, the Shatner
family had just returned from a few weeks in Hawaii, so he had a great
tan. The Nimoys were also there, but according to the two of them, their
running into each other was totally unplanned. Even though they were on
the same island together, their schedules would not permit time for the
families to get together.

“Shatner was the king of bad jokes and puns (followed by loud groans and
laughter). He and Nimoy talked about their Mind Meld videotape,
Shatner’s new book coming out in the spring, and the upcoming movie
Groom Lake. Leonard made a reference to retiring, to which Bill replied:
‘You will never retire. I will not let you retire. You and I will die up
here together,’ which brought loud cheers from the crowd. There had to
be about 1,000 people in the auditorium.

“When asked what they thought about Paramount and the direction of Star
Trek, Bill said: ‘They have a little, wormy, strange, nerdy, gnome
guiding Star Trek.’ (Direct quote, I swear! I wrote it down!)

“Someone in the audience asked them to reminisce a little about DeForest
Kelley, and they regaled the audience with a few touching stories about
someone many of us will never get to know but is very much alive in his
friends. Apparently, he was also the butt of many pranks on the Star
Trek set, some of which were related to the attentive crowd. They talked
about his chihuahua, Ethel. Poor Ethel met her fate by lawn sprinkler,
which is tragic, except when told by these two. You just couldn’t help
but laugh at Shatner’s imitation of Kelley walking his chihuahua. During
the story, Bill kept referring to the sprinklers as ‘rain birds,’ which
was finally interpreted by Nimoy for all of us non-Canadians.

“Another story was of the English muffins. Apparently, DeForest Kelley
was a man of habit who did the same things in the same order every day.
Well, Shatner made a habit of observing his behavior and disrupting it
any way he could. One morning, he got the make-up men in on the joke,
and they waited until Kelley had put a muffin in the toaster. On cue,
the make-up man immediately called Kelley away from the toaster and
distracted him so Bill could steal it and return the toaster to the
toast position. Kelley then returned to his original position to wait.
The toaster popped, and nothing was in it! Shatner was out of sight at
this point, eating the evidence. Kelley shook his head, put another
muffin in, and resumed his position to wait. Again on cue, the make-up
man called him over for a minute, and the scenario repeated itself.
However, when the toaster popped this time, Kelley immediately yelled:
‘OK, SHATNER! WHERE ARE YOU, YOU SON OF A–?’ This brought gales of
laughter from the audience. Nimoy then said: “You could tell who ate all
the muffins; you just had to stand Bill and De next to each other,”
which brought more laughter from the people crowded in the auditorium.
They left the stage and the hotel shortly after 2 p.m.

“We stayed to watch the Voyager stage show, but by then, many people in
the crowd and the stars were leaving early since the New York City area
was going to have some serious snow, and many wanted to get to the
airports to make sure they got home.

“I have to get to more conventions. The people, the workers, and the
stars were all so accommodating, friendly, and warm that a Star Trek
convention resembles a family reunion more than just a gathering of
people. We had a great weekend, and we’re looking forward to the
Creation convention this June!”

While Steve and his daughter were getting to know the people at the con,
I was placing BBK flyers at the two places you could enter or leave the
ballroom where Shatner and Nimoy were going to speak to the crowd.
Sadly, a bad bug with a dry cough prevented me from making flyers
myself, but my brother helped out by bringing to the con 50 copies on
bright yellow paper. As usual, every last flyer was gone by the time the
two actors had finished and left the building, and I hope some of the
folks who picked up a copy of our flyer will join our campaign.

Randy Hall
BBKNE-@aol.com
Editor, Bring Back Kirk Newsletter
“Never give up, never surrender!”

-----------
BRAVE NEW WORLDS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY STAR TREK, PART TWO
By: Jason Turner (BBK-@btinternet.com)
-----------

For the benefit of new subscribers and a quick recap for our regulars,
this column is normally a “chatty” feature: pondering, predicting, and
evaluating the possibility of Kirk’s inclusion in current Star Trek
lore. In the past, I have discussed my reactions to the new series and
how easily Kirk could be included. But since this is the second
newsletter since the anniversary of Trek, and Star Trek news, rumblings
and happenings are at a bare minimum until the year starts kicking off
again, I’ll continue where we left off last issue and set course for
celebrating Trek’s birthday.

People’s taste in Star Trek stories is as subjective and personal as
your choice of breakfast and wallpaper. Do you love the epic, wondrous,
and cinematic magic of the first Star Trek movie? Or do you consider it
a tediously dull film, and a waste of celluloid? I’m gambling that we’re
split about 50-50 on that one. We all have our favorite and not-so
favorite Star Trek films. But as Star Trek is now 35 years old, and the
films are but mere siblings of what we are celebrating, let’s go all the
way back to where it began, Classic Trek. And as this is a Bring Back
Kirk newsletter, I’d like to delve into my all-time favorite Captain
Kirk moments.

Join me as I peer through the Guardian of Forever and share my Top 5
classic Kirk moments of all time.

At Number 5 and from the first-season episode “Shore Leave” is arguably
Kirk’s greatest-ever fistfight. In his own words, he “beats the tar out
of” a manufactured imitation of Finnegan, an Irish academy prankster.
While Finnegan bragged that he was physically superior with more
endurance than our “older” captain, Kirk initially struggles to knock
his opponent off his feet for any length of time ... until he realizes
that this imitation is as vulnerable as Kirk wishes him to be. Following
a series of bruises, cuts, and the obligatory torn-shirt trademark, Kirk
pummels Finnegan to submission in an extremely satisfying and
tub-thumping instant.

Next up on the list, at Number 4, is from season two’s “The Doomsday
Machine.” With his ship under the command of the mentally unstable and
questionably fit Commodore Decker, Kirk orders Spock to take command of
the ship, counteracting the orders of a superior officer. This was
perhaps one of the first and most effective times Kirk disobeyed direct
orders, proving that he would never take any crap from anyone when it
came to the safety of his ship and those under his command. I challenge
you not to cheer when Kirk says: “Blast regulations!”

In at Number 3 is another first-season outing, “The Naked Time.” In the
scene where Kirk first contracts the disease, we see our first glimpses
of what it is to be a starship captain and the loneliness of command. We
learn that in this time period, it was not permitted for captains to
have relationships with his crew members. An intoxicated Kirk starts to
stir his emotions by looking at what his life could have been with a
companion, if not for his metaphorical marriage to the ship. A truly
great scene followed by a great character moment in which Kirk composes
himself and faces his crew under the effect.

Coming in at Number 2 is season one’s “This Side of Paradise.” With all
of his crew mutinied due to a symbiotic infection, Kirk is left alone on
the ship, with a sabotaged vessel, no crew and the prospect of being
marooned. Caught off-guard, Kirk gets infected by the spores and agrees
to beam down to the planet. Using sheer will power and his own anger at
deserting his ship and life as a starship captain, Kirk is able to shake
and defeat the influence of the invading life-form, and he formulates
that stirring violent emotions acts as a counter-agent. Many episodes
dealt with intelligent solutions to desperate situations, and here, the
captain’s strength of mind is tested to its finest ability.

Finally, at Number 1 is the second-season fan-favorite, “Mirror,
Mirror,” which was perhaps one of the darkest episodes of the original
series. Kirk really shines in the final act, in which he persuades
Spock’s counterpart into considering a revolt against a tyrannical
terran empire. The speech is dialogue dynamite and converts one of the
episode’s antagonists into changing for the good of the universe, thanks
to Kirk’s flawless inevitability of logic. You rarely see powerful
scenes and episodes like this in science fiction these days.

NEXT ISSUE: Returning from the Guardian of Forever, we’ll look back to
the current Star Trek situation and any recent developments of interest.

-----------
BBK CALENDAR
-----------

TV SCHEDULES

Sci-Fi Channel (Cable, USA)
All episodes are shown at 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Tuesday, January 22: “The Paradise Syndrome”
Wednesday, January 23: “And the Children Shall Lead”
Thursday, January 24: “Is There in Truth No Beauty?”
Friday, January 25: “Spectre of the Gun”

Monday, January 28: “Day of the Dove”
Tuesday, January 29: “For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the
Sky”
Wednesday, January 30: “The Tholian Web”
Thursday, January 31: “Plato’s Stepchildren”
Friday, February 1: “Wink of an Eye”

Space! Channel (Canada)
All episodes are aired at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Eastern Time.

Monday, January 21: “Turnabout Intruder”
Tuesday, January 22: “The Man Trap”
Wednesday, January 23: “Charlie X”
Thursday, January 24: “Where No Man Has Gone Before”
Friday, January 25: “The Naked Time”
(The Friday episode will be rerun Saturday at 10 a.m.)

Monday, January 28: “The Enemy Within”
Tuesday, January 29: “Mudd’s Women”
Wednesday, January 30: “What Are Little Girls Made of?”
Thursday, January 31: “Miri”
Friday, February 1: “Dagger of the Mind”
(The Friday episode will be rerun Saturday at 10 a.m.)

CONVENTIONS

Friday, January 25, through Sunday, January 27: Slanted Fedora con in
Durham, North Carolina. Guests will include William Shatner (Kirk),
George Takei (Sulu), and Walter Koenig (Chekov). For more information,
go to http://www.sfedora.com. (If you’re planning on attending this con
and would be willing to help distribute BBK flyers, please contact me
via email to BBKNE-@aol.com.)

Saturday, February 9, and Sunday, February 10: Creation con in
Sacramento, California. Guests will include all the surviving original
cast: William Shatner (Kirk), Leonard Nimoy (Spock), James Doohan
(Scotty), Nichelle Nichols (Uhura), Walter Koenig (Chekov), George Takei
(Sulu), Majel Barrett Roddenberry (Chapel), and Grace Lee Whitney
(Rand). For more information, go to http://www.creationent.com. (And if
you’re planning on attending this event and wouldn’t mind helping to
distribute BBK flyers, please send me an email at BBKNE-@aol.com.)

-----------
NOTICES
-----------

If you are interested in contacting the campaign directly for any
reason, please do so by mailing offic-@bringbackkirk.com.

Star Trek® is a registered trademark of Paramount Pictures, A Viacom
Company. All related properties to the Star Trek franchise are owned by
Paramount Pictures, a Viacom Company. All other trademarks and
copyrights mentioned in this newsletter are the property of their
respective holders.

Some of the views expressed in this newsletter are the respective views
of the individual writer, and thus may not be the same as this
newsletter and its representing campaign, The Official Bring Back Kirk
Campaign, holds.

-----------
FROM THE CAPTAIN’S CHAIR

“I take it the odds are against us, and the situation is grim?”

“You could say that.”

“You know, if Spock were here, he’d say that I was an irrational,
illogical human being for taking on a mission like that. ... Sounds like
fun!”

--Kirk and Picard in one of the few good moments of Star Trek:
Generations.

Until next issue, hailing frequencies closed!