Welcome Guest!
 BBKN
BBKN #57  Randy Hall
 Jun 02, 2002 21:22 PDT
Bring Back Kirk Newsletter – Issue #57 – June 2002
The OFFICIAL Newsletter of the Official Bring Back Kirk Movement
www.bringbackkirk.com | www.bringbackkirk.com/UK |
www.bringbackkirk.com/germany
Recognized as an Official Movement by: www.shatner.com
And Very Special Accolades to: stgn.strek.com | www.1701b.com

-----------
HAILING FREQUENCIES OPEN
-----------

I realize you’re getting this newsletter a lot later than I’d originally
hoped to send it. I could go on regarding how we’re all busy people and
the enormous difference between writing a column for a newsletter and
putting that whole publication together, but I think you get the
picture.

It was with great sadness that I proposed putting the BBKN out on a
monthly basis, at least for the time being. I realize that time is still
of the essence, and this was the best compromise I could work out. Watch
your e-mailbox in the first few days of the month to get the latest BBK
news.

Finally, I want to especially thank Heron, who supplied several items of
campaign-related news for this issue. Again, any comments regarding the
newsletter can be sent my way via the e-mail address listed below.

Randy Hall
BBKNE-@aol.com
Editor, Bring Back Kirk Newsletter
“Never give up, never surrender!”

-----------
ISSUE OVERVIEW
-----------

~ FEATURES ~
o Bring Back Kirk News
o Editor’s Log
o BBK Calendar
o Letter-Writing and Participation Information
o Notices
o From the Captain’s Chair

-----------
BRING BACK KIRK NEWS
-----------

~ STAR TREK HONORED AT NBC’S 75TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION ~

In early May, NBC celebrated its 75th anniversary with a gala broadcast
from New York City, and William Shatner was one of the night’s many
guests.

Star Trek was one of the milestones featured during the extravaganza,
and Shatner was on hand to celebrate the look back at the best that NBC
aired over its 75 years.

“For me, it was an exercise in nostalgia,” wrote Shatner at his website
(WilliamShatner.com). “I got to see some of the casts from great
television hits of yesteryear--and, alas, I was one of them!”

A clip from the original series was shown, and the audience broke out
into spontaneous applause. There was more laughter as Martin Short sat
on Shatner’s lap in the audience, kissed him passionately, and sang the
Star Trek theme song.

Star Trek first aired on NBC in 1966 but was cancelled three seasons
later in 1969. The fact that NBC cancelled one of the longest-running
and most successful film and television franchises has gone down as one
of the biggest missed opportunities of all time. At the gala, Shatner
couldn’t resist taking a little dig at the executives who made the
decision. “NBC cancelled Star Trek,” Shatner said on stage to the
laughter of the audience. “They thought it wouldn’t last!”

For more of William Shatner’s view of that night’s events, go to
WilliamShatner.com.

~ LETTER CAMPAIGN: JOIN THE EFFORT BY UTILIZING THE BBK FLYER ~

In this current effort, we are utilizing our BBK FLYER! This is a simple
and efficient way to let the powers that be know there is support behind
the idea to return Kirk to the Star Trek universe! By mailing to the
person/address below, we are sending to the individual who has the
greatest control over whether or not this will happen. We need him to
know that this is important to the fans!

PLEASE print out a copy of the BBK flyer and mail it directly to:

Mr. Rick Berman
Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038

If you lack access to a printer you can merely print the words BRING
BACK KIRK on plain paper, sign it, and mail it to the same address! It’s
that simple and easy for us to make an impact! Do it today!!

Thanks for your participation! If we work as a team, WE CAN accomplish
this goal and return our captain!

~ WRATH OF KHAN DIRECTOR’S DVD ANNOUNCED ~

The rumors and release setbacks are finally at an end. Star Trek II: The
Wrath of Khan is officially heading for DVD as a special Director’s
Edition.

Paramount announced recently that a brand new 116-minute cut of the
movie has been prepared for the release by its director, Nicholas Meyer.
The DVD will hit shelves on Tuesday, August 6.

In addition to the new cut, the two-disk DVD set will have over four
hours of extra features--enough trivia, nitpicks, and information to
satisfy the most hard-core Star Trek fans.

Disk 1 will contain the movie, with commentaries by Meyer and Michael
Okuda. The second disk will house the extras. It will contain interviews
from 1982 with the film’s stars, alongside new interviews from William
Shatner, Leonard Nimoy (Spock), Ricardo Montalban (Khan Noonien Singh),
Nicholas Meyer, and more. Other extras include “Designing Khan,” a
comparison of the first two Trek movies, interviews with Trek novelists,
and visual effects features.

The special edition follows a similar release of Star Trek: The Motion
Picture in late 2001. The release was widely acclaimed by fans and
critics alike, and it picked up a 2001 Video Premiere Award.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan will be presented in widescreen format
with Dolby Digital English 5.1 sound. It carries a PG rating in the U.S.
and Canada.

For more information on the forthcoming release, check out the full
story at StarTrek.com.

~ AN ONLINE PETITION? ~

Consideration of the idea of an online petition is, once again, up for
discussion. A recent letter received via the website brought the subject
to the forefront again.

Any opinions from BBK members would be appreciated. One factor is
whether or not a petition that is signed *online* is valid enough.
Another consideration is whether or not we could get the word out
sufficiently to show our numbers. What are your thoughts on this? Please
respond to Bringbackkirk.com and let us know!

~ “LOST ERA” BOOK SERIES ANNOUNCED ~

Ever wonder how the Star Trek universe managed to survive after the
“death” of James T. Kirk on the Enterprise B? Thanks to a new series of
novels, we’re going to find out.

Pocket Books Star Trek Editor Marco Palmieri recently announced that
Star Trek: The Lost Era is set to focus on the 70-year period between
Captain Kirk’s disappearance and the beginning of the Next Generation.
The series will consist of six books from different writers and focus on
the historical events and familiar characters during the time period.

A number of faces familiar to fans of Trek books and science-fiction
writing in general have already agreed to contribute tot he series.
“Readers can look forward to novels focusing on the starship Excelsior,
the Enterprise B, and the Enterprise C,” wrote Palmieri, and the
latter-day adventures of several original characters, as well as early
events in the lives of individuals from later “generations” of Trek.

The Lost Era will follow the pattern of the previous Trek series on
Section 31, which consisted of stand-alone novels that also fit into the
larger Star Trek history. They will bring fans a great insight into a
largely unknown period in the Star Trek time line.

The first book in the series is scheduled to hit shelves in August 2003,
with further books published monthly after that. More information,
including authors who will contribute, can be found in the original
announcement at http://www.PsiPhi.org.

~ NEW FLASH VIDEO COMING! ~

A NEW flash video by Phineasbg (co-author of our trailer) is coming soon
to the Bringbackkirk.com website!! We’re certain that you’ll enjoy it
because it’s FANTASTIC!! Be on the lookout as it should be onsite within
a very short time!

-----------
EDITOR’S LOG: 20 YEARS OF WRATH
By: Randy Hall (BBKNE-@aol.com)
-----------

Friday, June 4, 1982.

To most people, it was just another warn summer day. But to me, it was
the end of a long and anxious wait because Star Trek II: The Wrath of
Khan finally arrived at movie theaters all over America.

You see, I’d caught Star Trek: The Motion Picture when it came out a few
years earlier, and while I liked that film, I couldn’t escape the
feeling that the big splash Star Wars made had caused the Trek people to
spend too much time on special effects and not enough on plot and
characterization. So while ST:TMP did extremely well at the box office,
there didn’t seem to be much interest in another Trek movie.

After several months, I spotted a big poster for The Wrath of Khan in a
theater. Many of the images looked exciting, like the Enterprise in
battle with another starship, but I didn’t know what to make of several
other pictures. Some showed people I didn’t know (like David Marcus),
and another depicted a person wearing some kind of outfit that looked
vaguely like Darth Vader in a desert. (You know what I’m talking about.)

As the release date grew nearer, I started hearing cool things about the
film. One was a radio commercial that had exciting music in the
background, with McCoy saying: “We’re talking about universal
armageddon!” Then Spock stated: “They can outrun us ... and outgun us.”
And the commercial ended with an announcer declaring: “At the end of the
universe lies the beginning of vengeance!” As soon as the local
station’s disc jockey came back on the air, he exclaimed: “Man! I have
GOT to catch that movie!”

On the final Sunday in May, I was listening to a radio news channel when
a reporter broke the following story: “Today, a person near and dear to
the hearts of Star Trek fans everywhere passed away. The stoic Mister
Spock is reported to have perished during a special showing of the
second Trek movie at a fan convention.” That startled me, but I was
somewhat comforted by an interview with a fan who’d seen the film and
said: “Paramount finally got Star Trek right! That’s a terrific movie!”

As it turned out, I wasn’t going to be able to catch TWOK on opening day
because I’d long before made arrangements to fly to Jacksonville,
Florida, and spend a few days visiting a friend from college who’s as
big a Trek fan as myself. While traveling, I did my best not to hear
spoilers about the movie, but everywhere I turned, I heard someone
saying or a headline proclaiming how great the film was.

My friend met me at the airport, and we couldn’t stop talking about how
excited we were to be catching the movie on Saturday night. (My friend’s
wife was NOT a fan of Trek, so she spent most of that time quietly
letting us go on and on about various Classic Trek episodes.) On
Saturday, I read the only negative review of the film I’ve ever seen, as
a local newspaper critic declared that TWOK was just a longer episode of
the TV show. Actually, that was exactly what I wanted to hear, since the
first film had a sweeping epic quality, but I was convinced that Trek
needed to get back to interesting and exciting stories and characters.

We arrived at the biggest theater in Jacksonville more than an hour
ahead of the showing we wanted to attend, but we were discouraged to see
a long line reaching from the front of the theater to a spot almost a
block away. Undaunted, we got in line and, though we were able to catch
that showing, the place was too full for me to sit with my friend and
his wife. Still, I found a seat right in the next row, so we could still
share comments as the need arose.

Finally, after the usual “commercials” about throwing popcorn containers
and candy wrappers in the trash receptacles and previews for several
movies I didn’t care about, the film started. Right off the bat, I heard
the “fanfare” that always began the theme music for the TV episodes.
That was more exciting than anything in the entire previous film!

When Kirstie Alley as Saavik spun around in the captain’s chair, my
friend in the row behind me asked: “Who is THAT? Where’s Captain Kirk?”
“Patience,” I whispered.

As the movie progressed, I came to like the new uniforms. They looked
like pirates’ costumes to me, which are more “swashbuckling” than the
pajamas with the little booties in The Motion Picture.

The story was, to coin a phrase, “fascinating.” Kirk had always been the
“boy wonder” of Starfleet captains, so the concept of him having a
mid-life crisis on a “boatload of children” intrigued me. The
possibility of being promoted past your “first, best destiny” was a
novel idea, given the “get-all-you-can-and-can-all-you-get” attitude of
the 1980s. (And it’s interesting that Picard will have a similar crisis
in the upcoming 10th Trek movie, but that’s a whole ‘nuther story.)

Of course, I finally understood that Khan was deliberately being
portrayed as “the Darth Vader of Star Trek.” Ricardo Montalban did a
magnificent job portraying a man consumed with the desire to get
revenge. If I had any doubts that Khan wouldn’t be a menace worthy of a
movie, they were blown away during his confrontation with Chekov and
Terrell. “Domesticated pets,” my eye!

I was particularly touched by the scene between Kirk and Spock in the
Vulcan’s chambers. “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
... or the one.” “I have been and ever shall be ... your friend.”
Classic lines of dialogue that still resonate two decades later.

When we got to the first confrontation between Kirk and Khan, we dealt
with another aspect of the good captain’s character: Give him any time
at all to think, and he’ll find a way to ram it right down your throat.
I realize there had never been a “prefix code” until that moment, but it
was exactly the kind of solution Kirk would find. When James T. said,
“Here it comes,” the whole audience in the theater laughed and cheered.

This was the first time the Enterprise had been in battle with another
ship using newer, updated effects, and it was magnificent to behold. At
that point, I noticed something about the way the film looked at the
Enterprise. Very rarely did we ever see the whole ship in one shot.
Instead, our favorite starship was made to look huge and powerful by
only showing one section at a time. Very interesting direction.

Well, it was off to Regula 1, and Kirk, McCoy and the rules-quoting
Saavik left the ship wearing really great-looking landing party coats.
Of course, Kirk was the coolest of the three, so he turned his collar up
so you could tell which one was the captain with just a glance.

I loved the part when McCoy was startled by seeing a rat and then took a
really long time turning around into the next chamber. I whispered to my
friend, “If there isn’t a body or something there, I’ll eat my chair.”
After the whole room shrieked when Bones stumbled into the body, I
turned to my friend and he whispered back, “Lucky guess.”

The “hours would seem like days” gag between Kirk and Spock made me
laugh, and the captain’s solution to the Kobayashi Maru test was
quintessential Trek. “I changed the conditions of the test,” Kirk said.
“Got a commendation for original thinking.” No wonder Kirk became such
an excellent strategist. And when Spock told Kirk the Enterprise was
ready to beam the group up, Kirk stood and looked at the befuddled
Saavik. “I don’t like to lose,” he said before taking a big bite out of
an apple or some alien equivalent.

The game of “cat and mouse” in the Mutara Nebula was nerve-wracking, to
say the least. One image I will never forget is the Enterprise rising up
behind the Reliant when the genetic “superman” was about to get his butt
kicked across the quadrant and back. And when one of the Reliant’s
nacelles got blown off, the audience in the theater gasped. We’d never
seen anything like that happen in Trek before.

Of course, Khan armed the Genesis Device, and Spock deduced that their
only chance to escape was for him to go down to Engineering and do what
he had to do. As Spock stood up and left the bridge, a woman a few rows
in front of me yelled out: “No, Spock! Don’t go!” We had a good laugh,
but we all knew what was coming.

It’s interesting to compare how Spock and Kirk approached the final
scenario in Engineering. Spock carefully and deliberately climbed down
the ladder step by step. Kirk slid down the ladder as fast as he could
go. Spock calmly entered the radiation chamber. It took McCoy, Scotty
and a cadet to stop Kirk from going in. When the ship was out of danger,
Spock turned to Kirk and knew he had little time left, so he did most of
the talking. Kirk was so horrified that he could only respond to Spock’s
comments. As one final gesture, the captain ordered Spock’s death not to
happen. And at the end, I saw Kirk in a way I’d never seen before or
since: tired.

As we sat in the theater through those extremely sad moments, many of us
(including me) struggled to hold back the tears. But as always happens,
someone sniffled, and the audience was reduced to a bunch of people
openly sobbing their eyes out.

Those who have no trouble with Kirk’s sloppy death in Generations should
can’t think about those two scenes from Wrath of Khan without getting
all misty-eyed. Spock died saving the lives of his crewmates on the
Enterprise, but Kirk died for beings on some unknown planet who could be
broccoli people for all we know. I know of no better way to point out
the difference between Harve Bennett and Rick Berman.

As far as I’m concerned, TWOK is the best Trek ever made. A local
theater kept showing the film for several weeks, so I ended up watching
the movie a glorious grand total of 13 times on the big screen
(especially on Tuesday, when they charged only “a buck a flick”). It’s
Star Trek as it was meant to be, and now, 20 years later, I can’t wait
for the director’s cut DVD coming out in the next couple of months.

And finally, it didn’t bother me one iota when Spock came back from the
dead in the following movie. I was happy for the Spock fans, who got
their beloved character back. I hope someday soon, people will be able
to say that about Kirk fans!

Randy Hall
BBKNE-@aol.com
Editor, Bring Back Kirk Newsletter
“Never give up, never surrender!”

-----------
BBK CALENDAR
-----------

TV SCHEDULES

Sci-Fi Channel (Cable, USA)
Episodes air most weeknights at 6 p.m.

Monday, June 3
“The Lights of Zetar”
Tuesday, June 4
“Requiem for Methuselah”
Wednesday, June 5
“The Way to Eden”
Thursday, June 6
“The Cloud Minders”

Monday, June 10
“The Savage Curtain”
Tuesday, June 11
“Turnabout Intruder”
Wednesday, June 12
“The Cage”
Thursday, June 13
“Where No Man Has Gone Before”
Friday, June 14
6 p.m.: “Charlie X”
7 p.m.: “The Immunity Syndrome”

Sunday, June 16
8:30 p.m.: “Star Trek Generations”
Monday, June 17
“The Enemy Within”
Tuesday, June 18
“Mudd’s Women”
Wednesday, June 19
“What Are Little Girls Made of?”
Thursday, June 20
“Miri”
Friday, June 21:
“Dagger of the Mind”

Monday, June 24
“The Naked Time”
Tuesday, June 25
“The Corbomite Maneuver”
Wednesday, June 26
“The Menagerie, Part I”
Thursday, June 27
“The Menagerie, Part II”
Friday, June 18
“Balance of Terror”

Space! Channel (Canada)

Monday, June 3
10 a.m.: “Shore Leave”
2 p.m.: “The Man Trap”
Tuesday, June 4
10 a.m.: “Galileo Seven”
2 p.m.: “Charlie X”
Wednesday, June 5
10 a.m.: “The Squire of Gothos”
2 p.m.: “Where No Man Has Gone Before”
Thursday, June 6
10 a.m.: “Arena”
2 p.m.: “The Naked Time”
Friday, June 7
10 a.m.: “Tomorrow Is Yesterday”
(This episodes will be shown again at 10 a.m. Saturday.)
2 p.m.: “The Enemy Within”

Monday, June 10
10 a.m.: “Court Martial”
2 p.m.: “Mudd’s Women”
Tuesday, June 11
10 a.m.: “The Return of the Archons”
2 p.m.: “What Are Little Girls Made of?”
Wednesday, June 12
10 a.m.: “Space Seed”
2 p.m.: “Miri”
Thursday, June 13
10 a.m.: “A Taste of Armageddon”
2 p.m.: “Dagger of the Mind”
Friday, June 14
10 a.m.: “This Side of Paradise”
(This episode will be shown again at 10 a.m. Saturday.)
2 p.m.: “The Corbomite Maneuver”

Monday, June 17
10 a.m.: “Devil in the Dark”
2 p.m.: “The Menagerie, Part I”
Tuesday, June 18
10 a.m.: “Errand of Mercy”
2 p.m.: “The Menagerie, Part II”
Wednesday, June 19
10 a.m.: “The Alternate Factor”
2 p.m.: “The Conscience of the King”
Thursday, June 20
10 a.m.: “City on the Edge of Forever”
2 p.m.: “Balance of Terror”
Friday, June 21:
10 a.m.: “Operation Annihilate”
(This episode will be shown again at 10 a.m. Saturday.)
2 p.m.: “Shore Leave”

Monday, June 24
10 a.m.: “Amok Time”
2 a.m.: “The Galileo Seven”
Tuesday, June 25
10 a.m.: “Who Mourns for Adonais?”
2 p.m.: “The Squire of Gothos”
Wednesday, June 26
10 a.m.: “The Changeling”
2 p.m.: “Arena”
Thursday, June 27
10 a.m.: “Mirror, Mirror”
2 p.m.: “Tomorrow Is Yesterday”
Friday, June 18
10 a.m.: “The Apple”
(This episode will be shown again at 10 a.m. Saturday.)
2 p.m.: “Court Martial”

CONVENTION APPEARANCES

June 8-9
William Shatner will join Ricardo Montalban as a guest at the Slanted
Fedora weekend convention in Boston, Massachusetts. Part of the event
will be a celebration of the 20th anniversary of the release of Star
Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. For more information, check out the Slanted
Fedora website at http://www.sfedora.com.

June 21-23
The commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the release of Star Trek
II: The Wrath of Khan moves to Chicago, Illinois, as Shatner, Montalban,
and other Trek guests will appear at another Slanted Fedora convention.
For more information, check out the Slanted Fedora website at
http://www.sfedora.com..

SPECIAL APPEARANCE

William Shatner will be a guest on the late-night talk show, Politically
Incorrect, as the series, which features comedian Bill Maher as host,
winds down to its final program in late June. For more information,
check out the ABC website at http://www.abc.com.

-----------
LETTER WRITING AND PARTICIPATION INFORMATION
-----------

Instead of including information in every issue, we’ve decided to refer
you to the following pages upon BringBackKirk.com for more comprehensive
information:

Letter-Writing Information:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/letters.html

Letter-Writing Schedule:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/schedule.html

Letter-Writing Addresses:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/lw/addresses.html

Download Flyers:
     http://www.bringbackkirk.com/flyers.html (All Flyers)
     http://www.btinternet.com/~bbkuk/flyer.htm (All Flyers)
     http://www.treknewsletter.com/flyer.doc (English-Version Only)
     http://hometown.aol.com/captapril/flyer.html (Captain April’s
Flyer)

When you mail your letters, we ask that you send a quick, brief note to
us at offic-@bringbackkirk.com to let us know, so that we can keep a
tally of the letters sent in! We do appreciate hearing from you!

-----------
NOTICES
-----------

If you are interested in contacting the campaign directly for any
reason, please do so by mailing offic-@bringbackkirk.com.

“Star Trek”® is a registered trademark of Paramount Pictures, a Viacom
Company. All related properties to the “Star Trek” franchise are owned
by Paramount Pictures, a Viacom Company. All other trademarks and
copyrights mentioned in this newsletter are the property of their
respective holders.

Some of the views expressed in this newsletter are the respective views
of the individual writer, and thus may not be the same as this
newsletter and its representing campaign, The Official Bring Back Kirk
Campaign, holds.

FROM THE CAPTAIN’S CHAIR

“One man cannot summon the future.”
“But one man can change the present.”

–Spock from another universe and “our” Kirk discuss the future during
“Mirror, Mirror.”

Until next issue, hailing frequencies closed!