Welcome Guest!
 COLAGE NetNews
COLAGE Net News * April 26th, 2006  meredith fenton
 Apr 26, 2006 15:09 PDT

COLAGE Net News
April 26th, 2006
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
===========================

In this issue of COLAGE Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. COLAGE is MOVING!
2. Participate in the COLAGE Support Our Community Campaign
3. COLAGErs in the Media

COLAGE Events:

4. COLAGE at Rainbow Families of Minnesota Conference- THIS WEEKEND
5. Save the Date! Los Angeles Premiere of In My Shoes
6. Register Today! Family Week in Saugatuck, MI
7. Register Today! Act OUT: the National LGBT Family Conference
8. COLAGE House Party in Phoenix, AZ

Actions, Opportunities and News
9. ACLU Freedom files
10. NEWS: Gay Families Growing
11. NEWS: LGBT Family Easter Egg Roll Visibility Event

============================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
============================
1. COLAGE is MOVING!

Please update your records as COLAGE is moving on to a bigger and better
office space!
As of May 5th the COLAGE National Headquarters will be at:

COLAGE
1550 Bryant Street, Suite 830
San Francisco, CA 94103

Our email, phone and website addresses will remain the same.

*****************

2. Support Our Community! Become a campaigner, Strengthen COLAGE's
Numbers

In just two weeks, COLAGE will launch the 2nd Annual Support Our
Community Campaign. A dozen people have already stepped up to lead the
way as campaigners for this important fund drive, but we will need at
least 40 volunteers if we are to meet our goal of raising $10,000 to
support COLAGE. Last year the first Support Our Community Campaign
celebrated COLAGE's 15th anniversary. This year, our theme is "Strength
in Numbers." The campaign will run from Mothers' Day to Fathers' Day
(May 14th - June 18th, 2006).

Why is the theme Strength in Numbers?

There are between 8 and 14 million youth and adults with one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender parents in the United States.
We live in every state and more than 95% of U.S. counties.

Yet, 39 states deny us any legal relationship to our parents. 5 states
prohibit our parents from adopting us. Only a small handful of states
protect us from harassment and discrimination in schools.

To combat these and many other injustices we and our families face,
COLAGE needs your help! In order to change the face of family and
family values, we need to Strengthen OUR Numbers.

We would like to invite you to become a campaigner for the 2nd Annual
Support Our Community Campaign. In order to reach our goal of raising
$10,000 to support COLAGE's work, we need 40 campaigners to raise $250
each. Will you be one of the forty leaders who helps us reach our goal?

There are lots of ways you can reach your $250 goal! And of course, if
you want to set your goal higher, please do! Some of you may know two
people who can each give $125. But if not, maybe you know 16 people who
can give $15.

This year, COLAGE will once again have the ability to help you campaign
online. You can easily personalize a website, write a note about why
you support COLAGE (or how COLAGE has supported you) and plug in the
email addresses of everyone you want to ask. Click send and you're well
on the way to meeting your goal!

If you don't want to campaign online, no worries! COLAGE can send you
information and materials to help you campaign with a letter or over the
phone.

Interested in becoming a campaigner? Send an email to jca-@colage.org
and include your:

Name(s):
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Preferred Email:
Preferred Phone:

As soon as we hear from you, we'll send a package to help you get
started on the campaign.

Thank you so much for your support and consideration, and thanks in
advance to all of this year's campaigners!

Have questions? Need more information? Call 415-861-5437 or email
jca-@colage.org

*********************
3. COLAGErs in the Media

A. Hear Me Out: Florida and Adoption

Written By: Mubarak Dahir

Sixteen states are looking to ban gay adoption. Before they do so, they
should study the state of Florida. Twelve-year-old Michael
Gulliford-Green just wanted lawmakers in the state of Florida, where he
now lives, to know about his family.

That’s why, on the morning of March 9, he got up early, put on a striped
green shirt and docker pants, and flew to the capitol in Tallahassee.

There, he read a letter to legislators about his two dads, Buddy
Gulliford and Jim Green.

Michael’s appearance was a passionate plea for the lawmakers to overturn
the state law that forbids gay or lesbian people from adopting kids.

To read the rest of this story visit:
http://www.gayalliance.org/content/view/341/53/

xxxxxxxxxx

B. Leukemia patient not alone

By Karen Dandurant

EXETER - Thirteen-year old Deanna Makinen and her family are dealing
with illness, something no one should have to face.
They remain positive and that, combined with the obvious love the family
shares, keeps them strong.

Please visit
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/exeter/04252006/news/99499.htm to
read the rest of this story profiling our brave COLAGE New Hampshire
Seacoast Chapter Coordinator and COLAGE Family Week participant Deanna
Makinen and learn how you can support her family during this hard time.

===============
COLAGE EVENTS:
===============

4. COLAGE at Rainbow Families of Minnesota Conference- THIS WEEKEND!

11th Annual Rainbow Families Conference –
Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 8:30 – 4:30 - register early!
Anwatin/Bryn Mawr Schools, 256 Upton Ave S, Minneapolis, MN
Online registration at
http://www.rainbowfamilies.org/strength/conference.htm or call
612-827-7731
Early Bird discounts end April14, 2006.   Fees increase after that date!

Registration for children and youth (ages 6 months through 18) required
by April 14, 2006!
All day programming for the entire family. 55 workshops about
parenting, social justice issues, prospective parenting, legal issues
and more. Special workshops for educators. Keynote speaker, community
gathering, lunch, and a wonderful resource fair. Learn more at

http://www.rainbowfamilies.org/strength/conference.htm

THIS year we are thrilled to be a part of the Rainbow Families
Conference. COLAGE will be presenting two amazing tracks for youth with
LGBT parents in 6-8th grades and High School Aged. Meredith Fenton,
COLAGE Program Director will work with local adult COLAGErs to provide
a unique and exciting array of programming that will engage, connect and
empower youth with LGBT parents in middle school and high school. For
more information, or to volunteer, email mere-@colage.org

*******************
5. Save the Date! Join COLAGE and the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s Family
Services Program for the L.A. Premiere of In My Shoes: Stories of Youth
with LGBT Parents

A youth-produced film by and about youth with lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgender parents

Thursday, May 25 • 7 - 9 pm
The L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s
Village at Ed Gould Plaza
1125 N. McCadden Place
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Co-sponsored by Beth Chayim Congregation.

This is the kick-off event for the Los Angeles COLAGE chapter! Be among
the first in Los Angeles to see this award-winning film and stay after
the screening for parent and youth discussion groups. The film is
appropriate for youth 7 and up and parents of all ages!

For more information about this event, please call 323-860-7320 or email
familys-@LAGayCenter.org.

For more information about COLAGE and the In My Shoes film project,
visit www.COLAGE.org.

MOVIE SYNOPSIS:
In a time when LGBT families are debated and attacked in the media,
courts and congress, from school houses to state houses across the
country, five young people give you a chance to walk in their shoes– to
hear their own views on marriage, making change, and what it means to be
a family. In My Shoes: Stories of Youth with LGBT Parents was produced
by the COLAGE Youth Leadership and Action Program and directed by Jen
Gilomen.

********************

6. Register today! Family Week in Saugatuck, MI

Family Week 2006 is gearing up to be another week of amazing
connections, community and youth programming for COLAGE.   At the same
time, 2006 promises to be a challenging one for our community with more
states introducing legislation targeting and attacking our families than
ever before.

Clearly, it will be more important than ever before for LGBT families to
join together. What better place for you to connect to others with LGBT
parents than at:

Family Week in Saugatuck, MI
July 8th – 13th, 2006

Once again COLAGE is joining with Rainbow Families Great Lakes (an
entirely volunteer- run group of folks dedicated to making Family Week a
success) to plan for Family Week 2006. We’ll be on hand with amazing and
empowering programming for youth in addition to a whole schedule of
family events, meals, beach parties, parent workshops, recreational
activities and more.

Sign up your family to join us at this inspiring and unique event for
LGBT Families today. Go to http://www.rfgl.org/Register.html to make
sure you’ll be a part of Family Week 2006!

**********************
7. Register Today! Act OUT: the National LGBT Family Conference

Oct. 27-29, 2006
Fairmont Hotel
Dallas, Texas

Come one, come all and spend three fun-filled days with Family Pride and
COLAGE this fall! Hundreds of LGBT-headed families and youth and adults
with LGBT Parents from all over the country will be there, making new
friends and re-connecting with old ones. This weekend is going to be a
great mixture of education and celebration!

• Advocacy, Media & Mobilization Workshops
• Grassroots Organizing Education
• Youth and Adult Leadership Training
• Activities for all Children of all Ages
plus

• Family Reception
• Ice Cream Social
• Huge Halloween Party & Family Dance – bring your costumes!

Partnering with Family Pride, this weekend is sure to be a time you will
never forget.
Act OUT will also feature an expo which will be fun for grown ups and
kids alike.

Register today to ensure your family will have a space at one of the
most transformative family gatherings Family Pride and COLAGE will host
this year. Hundreds of other LGBT-headed families will be attending, and
space is limited, so

Register Now for Special Early Bird Rates! Go to
http://www.familypride.org/site/pp.asp?c=bhKPI7PFImE&b=992425 for more
information and Registration!

COLAGE is also pleased to announce the FIRST-EVER COLAGE Chapter
Leadership Institute on Friday, October 27th before the start of Act
OUT. Arrive in Dallas on Thursday night so you do not miss the first
ever national gathering of COLAGE Chapter Leaders.
11AM- 4 PM
Friday, October 27th
For more information get in touch with Meredith Fenton, COLAGE Program
Director at mere-@colage.org

Keep checking www.colage.org for more information!

*****************

8. COLAGE House Party in Arizona

Do you believe in equality for ALL families?

Join us to learn about COLAGE’s national programs and what you can do
locally to support and empower children from LGBT families.

*Saturday, May 6, 2006 *
*6:00 - 8:30pm*
*Phoenix, AZ*

At the home of:
*Dwight Cook & Neil Schneider*
(RSVP for address)

Co-Hosts: Arizona Human Rights Fund, PFLAG Phoenix, Paul Dudek & Larry
Blieden, Conrad Egge & Bob Fernie, Joseph Segal & John Sapero, Steve
Wachs, Christy Quick Wheaton & Andy Wheaton

*Featuring:
**Remarks by COLAGE Program Coordinator, Ember Cook
*Clips from COLAGE’s new award-winning film, In My Shoes
*State & National Legislative and Campaign Updates

* Kids of all ages welcome!*

*Refreshments provided by Zoe’s Kitchen***

*RSVP by May 1:*
Dwight Cook dwight-@cox.net <mailto:dwight-@cox.net> Neil
Schneider * 602-462-9381

If you’re unable to attend, please consider making a tax-deductible gift
of $60, $120, $250 or more to COLAGE. Make your secure donation on-line
at http://colage.org/support/ on behalf of “AZ House Party” or mail your
gift to: COLAGE, Attn: AZ House Party, 3543 18th Street, #1, San
Francisco, CA 94110. *Proceeds to benefit COLAGE and PFLAG Phoenix*.

=========================
Actions, Opportunities, and News
=========================

9. ACLU Freedom files

See the latest episode of the ACLU Freedom Files TV Show on LGBT Rights

Visit www.aclu.tv for more information.

The next episode in the ACLU Freedom Files TV Show, "Gay & Lesbian
Rights", will introduce America to ordinary people who are fighting for
the rights that most Americans take for granted: Alvin and Nigel, who
adopted three children from the foster care system; Heather, who fought
hospital employees to be at the side of her partner who is ill with
cancer; and Sam, an Oklahoma rancher left homeless after his lifelong
partner's will was contested.

Host a screening in your home or community center!

You're invited to host a local premiere of the "Gay & Lesbian Rights"
episode of the ACLU Freedom Files this summer.   We will send you a free
DVD along with a house party hosting kit to help you lead discussion and
make an impact in your community. Email me for your host party DVD and
materials.

Join the movement to bring the truth to every community in America! We
are organizing events across the country, sponsored by LGBT activists,
supportive partners, and the ACLU.

***************

10. NEWS: Gay Families Growing

by Beth Shapiro, 365Gay.com
April 25, 2006

(New York City) The number of gay and lesbian families across the
country is growing at a fast pace a new study finds.

The survey, by Syracuse University's S.I. Newhouse School of Public
Communications for OpusComm Group an LGBT marketing company, shows that
53 percent of female respondents were in relationships and 42 percent of
males are partnered.

The largest proportion of those who are coupled have been together
between 4 – 7 years

The study also found 21 percent of lesbians and 5 percent of gay men
currently have a child living at home. In addition two thirds of
lesbian households said they plan on adding children to their family in
the next three years while only a third of male couples plan on raising
children.

The new statistics are in marked contrast to a similar study in 2002
that found only 15 percent of lesbians and 5 percent of gay men intended
to have children.

Newhouse began studying LGBT families in 2001. This year's survey
involved some 7,500 people. In another surprise the new survey
discovered that 97 percent of respondents said they “out” with more
females than males being “out” to their families, friends and at work .

The survey found a large percentage of gays are employed by one or
another level of government - 12 percent of males and 15 percent of
females. Fifty-seven percent of the men said they live in cities, while
only 45 percent of the women live in municipalities.

The survey also found that the majority of those questioned said they
are Democrats - 67% of males and 72% of females said they are registered
as Democrats. When it comes to voting for a candidate, 77 percent of
respondents feel legal recognition of same-sex marriage for tax, estate
and insurance purposes extremely important in making their choice.

**************
11. NEWS: LGBT Family Easter Egg Roll Visibility Event

COLAGE was pleased to partner with Family Pride and other co-sponsors on
the Easter Egg Roll at the White House. The following headlines are just
a few of the articles covering the participation of LGBT families in the
annual White House Easter Egg Roll. Kudos to Family Pride for their
leadership and all our family participants for helping raise visibility
of our families through this event.

CNN
Gay families among thousands participating in White House egg roll
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/17/eastereggroll.ap/?section=cnn_allpolitics

NPR’s Weekend America
A New Spin on the White House Easter Egg Roll
http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/programs/index_20060415.html

Los AngelesTimes
On a Gray Day, Same-Sex Couples Make Colorful Point at Egg Roll
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-eggroll18apr18,1,2548213.story

ABC’s “World News Tonight”
Brokeback Bunny? Gays Vie for Easter Egg Roll: Some Religious
Conservative See Pro-Gay Marriage Agenda
http://www.abcnews.go.com/WNT/Politics/story?id=1848750&page=1

Metro Weekly
Gay Families on a Roll: Rain and protesters do little to dampen mood at
the annual White House Easter Egg Roll
http://www.metroweekly.com/gauge/?ak=2074&PHPSESSID=6ed9ac701898934e5c92365cfd337faa

Washington Blade
White House snubs gay families at Egg Roll: Bush departs event before
Family Pride contingent allowed in
http://washblade.com/2006/4-20/news/national/snub.cfm

====================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE NetNews!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Haas Jr Fund, Open Society Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San
Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families, American and all
our members and donors.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership
contribution today. Join COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html