Welcome Guest!
 COLAGE NetNews
COLAGE Net News * FMA Action Alert  meredith fenton
 May 25, 2006 12:38 PDT

COLAGE Net News
May 25th, 2006
Special FMA Action Alert
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
===========================

Help stop the Federal Marriage Amendment!

A vote is scheduled for the week of June 5th so we need to act quickly
to make sure the FMA fails! The right wing extremists are vigorously
mobilizing their forces on behalf of the Federal Marriage Amendment.
Fair-minded supporters of equality must redouble our efforts to
communicate to our elected officials our opposition to writing
discrimination into the U.S. Constitution!

Some of the points you might want to use in the actions suggested below
include:

Talking to Others about the FMA
• Discrimination has no place in the U.S. Constitution. The Federal
Marriage Amendment would undermine the Constitution, which in more than
200 years has never once been amended to deny rights to a group of
Americans.
• Instead of addressing a health care crisis, the costly war in Iraq and
soaring gas prices, President Bush and the leadership in Congress are
putting politics ahead of real progress by debating this divisive
amendment.
• Many legal experts agree this amendment also would close the door on
civil unions even though 60 percent of Americans support ensuring all
families can protect each other in times of crisis.
• Leading conservatives agree that this amendment goes against the
values we stand for as a country, including former Senator and Rev. John
Danforth, George Will, William Safire and Bob Barr.

Action 1: Get the support of your Pediatrician
Contact your family’s pediatrician/s and ask them to sign the letter to
congress opposing the Federal Marriage Amendment. All they have to do
is to go to www.profamilypediatricians.org and add their name. Then
they can automatically send it on to their friends and colleagues.

Action 2: Call or write to your senators and representatives and let
them know that they object that Congress wasting its time debating this
unnecessary and destructive constitutional amendment when there is so
much more important work that the government should be doing. You can
easily look up your elected officials at
http://colage.org/programs/advocacy/resources.htm.

====================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE NetNews!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Haas Jr Fund, Open Society Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San
Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families, American and all
our members and donors.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership
contribution today. Join COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html