Welcome Guest!
 COLAGE NetNews
COLAGE Net News * June 22nd, 2006  meredith fenton
 Jun 21, 2006 16:23 PDT

COLAGE Net News
June 21st, 2006, 2006
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
===========================

In this issue of COLAGE Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. COLAGE Has a New Office!
2. COLAGE Welcomes Summer Interns
3. Participate in the COLAGE Support Our Community Campaign- More than
halfway there!
4. Sponsor a COLAGE Family Week Event
5. COLAGE in the Media

COLAGE Events:
6. COLAGE Hudson Valley Event
7. Register Today! Family Week in Saugatuck, MI
8. Act OUT: the National LGBT Family Conference- Call for Proposals
9. COLAGE NYC: Call for Video Volunteer

Actions, Opportunities and News
10. Action Alert: Urge Governor Schwarzenegger to Support Bias-Free
Curriculum in California
11. Action Alert: Help defeat the Wisconsin Civil Unions and Marriage
Ban
12. Research Opportunity for Individuals with Lesbian Parents!
13. Rainbow Rumpus Updates

============================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
============================
1. COLAGE has a new Office!

Please update your records as COLAGE is moving on to a bigger and better
office space!

The new COLAGE National Headquarters is at:

COLAGE
1550 Bryant Street, Suite 830
San Francisco, CA 94103

Our email, phone and website addresses remain the same.

*****************

2. COLAGE Welcomes Summer Interns

COLAGE is pleased to welcome three interns to our San Francisco office.
Mario, April and Jamon bring diverse backgrounds and skills to share
with COLAGE.

Mario Lio is a fresh high school graduate who is looking forward to
start college in the fall. This Peruvian-Chinese queer seventeen year
old moved to San Francisco in 2001, and since then he has done activism
advocating equal rights to everyone, particularly in the LGBTQQI
community. Mario is a determined and optimistic guy who is ready to face
any obstacle that comes his way. In his leisure time, he enjoys cooking,
reading, sleeping, and looking out his window when it rains.

April Anthony, a mixed-race genderqueer originally from Southern CA,
graduated with honors from the Literature program at UC Santa Cruz in
June 2005. She has lived in San Francisco since September 2005. He has
an extensive background in youth/teen and theater organizing. In
addition to performing and publishing her writing, April also has taught
creative writing to ‘at-risk’ and ‘queer-at-risk’ populations. He is
still looking to find a stronger sense of community in the Bay as well
as folks who are interested in pushing the boundaries of queer
performance spaces in the Bay. Needless to say, April is very excited to
be able to continue her social justice work at COLAGE.

This summer we are also blessed with the talents of Lily Donovan-Seid, a
COLAGE participant who is doing longer-term volunteer work at the COLAGE
Office. Lily recently graduated from high school in Los Altos and will
be going to college in Seattle this fall. Lily has been formerly
featured in the That’s So Gay phototext exhibit, Focus on MY Family: A
Queerspawn Anthology, and as a producer and extra in In My Shoes:
Stories of Youth with LGBT Parents. She is half Chinese and Half Irish
and has a straight mom and gay dad. When not at COLAGE, she plays drums
for an all-girl rock band.

*****************
3. Support Our Community! Become a campaigner, Strengthen COLAGE's
Numbers

The 2nd Annual Support Our Community Campaign still has room for you to
participate. We are more than halfway to our goal of raising $10,000 to
support COLAGE! Last year the first Support Our Community Campaign
celebrated COLAGE's 15th anniversary. This year, our theme is "Strength
in Numbers."

Why is the theme Strength in Numbers?

There are between 8 and 14 million youth and adults with one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender parents in the United States.
We live in every state and more than 95% of U.S. counties.

Yet, 39 states deny us any legal relationship to our parents. 5 states
prohibit our parents from adopting us. Only a small handful of states
protect us from harassment and discrimination in schools.

To combat these and many other injustices we and our families face,
COLAGE needs your help! In order to change the face of family and
family values, we need to Strengthen OUR Numbers.

We would like to invite you to become a campaigner for the 2nd Annual
Support Our Community Campaign. In order to reach our goal of raising
$10,000 to support COLAGE's work, we need 40 campaigners to raise $250
each. Will you be one of the forty leaders who helps us reach our goal?

There are lots of ways you can reach your $250 goal! And of course, if
you want to set your goal higher, please do! Some of you may know two
people who can each give $125. But if not, maybe you know 16 people who
can give $15.

This year, COLAGE will once again have the ability to help you campaign
online. You can easily personalize a website, write a note about why
you support COLAGE (or how COLAGE has supported you) and plug in the
email addresses of everyone you want to ask. Click send and you're well
on the way to meeting your goal!

If you don't want to campaign online, no worries! COLAGE can send you
information and materials to help you campaign with a letter or over the
phone.

Interested in becoming a campaigner? Send an email to jca-@colage.org
and include your:

Name(s):
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Preferred Email:
Preferred Phone:

As soon as we hear from you, we'll send a package to help you get
started on the campaign.

Thank you so much for your support and consideration, and thanks in
advance to all of this year's campaigners!

Have questions? Need more information? Call 415-861-5437 or email
jca-@colage.org

***************
4. Become a Family Sponsor of a Family Week Event

The 11th Annual Celebration of Family Week in Provincetown is only three
months away on July 29-August 5! Once again COLAGE is pleased to be
joining the leadership of Family Pride to offer an exciting line-up of
programming for youth with LGBT parents during this magical week.

Now, more than ever, our youth need opportunities to access safe,
supportive communities through COLAGE, to gain leadership skills to
affect change and to find their voices to speak out their truths and
experiences as youth with LGBT Parents. Help make this community a
reality for hundreds of COLAGE participants by being a family sponsor of
a COLAGE event during Family Week. To learn more about sponsorship
opportunities visit:
http://www.familypride.org/atf/cf/%7b2A2C5E24-92CC-41DF-B4AA-448C71B7ED7D%7d/FAMILY%20SPONSORSHIP%202006%20FINAL.PDF>

To learn more about sponsorship, contact dire-@colage.org.

*****************

5. COLAGErs in the Media

'Let no one rend asunder' — regardless of sex orientation

When my parents married 37 years ago, their wedding vows read, "Let no
one rend asunder" their marriage and, yet, many legislators keep trying.

When my transgendered parent transitioned more than 20 years ago, my
folks stayed together as a same-sex couple. My parents are in a race
against time to stop lawmakers from annulling their marriage.

If people really want to save "traditional marriage," why not outlaw
no-fault divorce laws that make it possible for people to walk away from
marriages even before the ink is dry on their marriage licenses?
Instead, Americans listen complacently to the thrice-married Rush
Limbaugh say we are evil and immoral for fighting for non-traditional
marriages and families.

If people are defined solely by their ability to have children, then
outlaw marriage between anyone incapable of bearing children, such as
senior citizens and infertile couples.

As an adult, let me assure you, I am not worse off for growing up in my
non-traditional family. I have high moral values. I am an upstanding
citizen, and I am an award-winning journalist.

But I guess I'm going to hell simply for honoring my parents. My bad.
Millions of children are much more damaged in so-called traditional
families in which divorce wreaks havoc and where love isn't always
apparent.

Help my parents keep the wedding vow they took so many years ago: "Let
no one rend asunder" their marriage simply because one partner changed.

Laurie Cicotello
Hastings, Neb.
Laurie is a journalist and former member of the COLAGE Board of
Directors that lives in Nebraska.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-06-12-letters-gay_x.htm

===============
COLAGE EVENTS:
===============

6. COLAGE Hudson Valley Summer Event

Summer is definitely in the air and a summer get together BBQ is calling
our names!!!

Come one, come all—gather with old friends and meet new ones!!!!!

When? July 15th at 1:00 PM
Where? Bowdoin Park (directions below)

Let's get together, play some games, share stories while enjoying some
picnic munchies.

We will have hot dogs and burgers, drinks and paper products. Bring
along your favorite spring/summer games and a dish to share if you like.

Looking forward to seeing y'all!!

Directions:
Bowdoin Park
From Route 9 heading north, make a left onto Old Post Road
From Route 9 heading south, make a right onto Old Post Road
Old Post Road is the road north of the Poughkeepsie Gallery Mall)
Left onto Sheafe Road, the park is 1.2 miles down on the right.
We will be by Pavilion 3, near the playground area.

For more information about COLAGE Hudson Valley NY contact:
COLAGE Mid Hudson Valley Region
Li Pipman-Allis
lisa.l-@yahoo.com
(845) 452-2928

*****************
7. Register today! Family Week in Saugatuck, MI

Family Week 2006 is gearing up to be another week of amazing
connections, community and youth programming for COLAGE.   At the same
time, 2006 promises to be a challenging one for our community with more
states introducing legislation targeting and attacking our families than
ever before.

Clearly, it will be more important than ever before for LGBT families to
join together. What better place for you to connect to others with LGBT
parents than at:

Family Week in Saugatuck, MI
July 8th – 13th, 2006

Once again COLAGE is joining with Rainbow Families Great Lakes (an
entirely volunteer- run group of folks dedicated to making Family Week a
success) to plan for Family Week 2006. We’ll be on hand with amazing and
empowering programming for youth in addition to a whole schedule of
family events, meals, beach parties, parent workshops, recreational
activities and more.

Sign up your family to join us at this inspiring and unique event for
LGBT Families today. Go to http://www.rfgl.org/Register.html to make
sure you’ll be a part of Family Week 2006!

**********************

8. Act OUT: The National LGBT Family Conference
Call for Proposals

COLAGE is thrilled to announce our partnership with Family Pride on ACT
OUT: The National LGBT Family Conference. This fall, hundreds of youth
and adults with LGBT parents, LGBT parents and our allies will come
together in Dallas for a weekend of education, empowerment, and
celebration. We are looking for strong, innovative, dynamic, challenging
and fresh proposals for workshops/activities that will engage young
adult and/or adults who have one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or
transgender parent/s.

COLAGE will offer two exciting tracks of programming during act OUT.
COLAGE Crew will be a series of activities and workshops for youth ages
9-13 with one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent
that will use art, games, discussions, movies, and lots of fun to allow
youth to share their experiences and family backgrounds while meeting
new friends. The COLAGE Leadership Track will be a full track of
workshops for young adult and adults with LGBT parents focusing on how
we can use our voices and our actions to make a difference, educate
communities, schools, politicians and the media about people with LGBT
parents, the diversity of issues and experiences of queerspawn, and how
we can strengthen our skills as activists and leaders.

Oct. 27-29, 2006
Fairmont Hotel
Dallas, Texas

COLAGE Leadership Track Call for Proposals

We are looking for strong, innovative, dynamic, challenging and fresh
proposals for workshops/activities that will engage young adult and/or
adults who have one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender
parent/s.   All proposals must clearly have and explicitly state a
connection to queerspawn and related issues and be proposed by people
who themselves have one or more LGBT parent/s. People of color; youth
(under 25); people with disabilities; low-income people and people from
diverse queerspawn family backgrounds are strongly encouraged to submit
proposals.

The deadline for submitting proposals is June 26th, 2006.

We are particularly interested in proposals that look at (in no order):
1. Leadership and Activism Skill Building for Youth and Adults with LGBT
Parents
2. Connections between queerspawn and other issues of social justice and
areas of oppression including but not limited to race, class, family
background, sex, gender identity, transphobia, disability, etc.
3. Movement building and skill building particularly as it relates to
topics of current import to the LGBT and family Movements, ie same-sex
marriage, adoption, safe schools, family formation, reproductive rights,
etc.

We also highly value workshops that are creative in format and
experiential in nature. COLAGE appreciates sessions that use games, art,
drama, video, and other mediums to further the discussion.

Proposals must include:

1. A one page detailed description of presentation, including how it
connects and relates to queerspawn and related issues; the topics and
activities the presentation will include as well as relevant experience
of presenter(s).
2. An abstract/description of your session that is no more than 75
words.
3. Specific format of workshop/presentation (i.e., lecture with question
and answer, discussion group, brief presentation with
discussion/activity, etc.)
4. A list of all resources needed: audio/visual equipment, power point,
spatial requirements, limit of people, etc.
5. A bio and contact information for each presenter, including
information about their family background

Email your proposal to mere-@colage.org.
The deadline for submitting proposals is June 26th, 2006.

NOTE: COLAGE is exploring the possibility of scholarship and other
funding to make participation in this event possible for all COLAGErs.
If you need financial support to participate in Act OUT, please let us
know.

**************

9. COLAGE NYC Call for Video Volunteer

COLAGENYC recently held a variety show, written, directed and performed
by our membership. The event was really incredible, and we filmed the
entire thing, including our rehearsals. We wish to edit the tapes
(HI8,MP), making a cohesive DVD, with some credits, and also to encrypt
it to prevent unauthorized use. We are stuggling to get off the ground
as an organization, and, in fact, we will use this DVD as a tool for
future fundraising and as an educational piece. We need someone to help
us complete the tasks to put this out. Our funds (naturally) are very
limited. Please contact: Martha Walker at: mar-@colagenyc.org if you
can help. Thanks in advance.

=========================
Actions, Opportunities, and News
=========================

10. Action Alert: Urge Governor Schwarzenegger to Support Bias-Free
Curriculum in California

Call Governor Schwarzenegger and pressure him to reconsider his
misguided plan to veto SB 1437, a bill authored by Senator Sheila Kuehl
(D-Santa Monica) and endorsed by COLAGE, to ensure inclusive and
bias-free curriculum in California schools.

All students will suffer at the hands of a governor who is either
uninformed about what the bill does or is pandering to the far right
wing in an election year. The governor needs to hear from thousands of
fair-minded Californians like you who support an inclusive and bias-free
curriculum.

Call the Governor Today!
Governor Schwarzenegger has set up an automated phone system for this
bill, pro and con, and it takes about 15 seconds to record your support.
Here’s how to call:
• CALL the governor's office at (916) 445-2841
• Press 1 for English
• Press 2 for legislation
• Press 1 for SB 1437
• Press 1 to support it

***************

11. Action Alert: Help defeat the Wisconsin Civil Unions and Marriage
Ban

With less than 150 days until the election, families in Wisconsin need
your support and involvement. The civil unions and marriage ban will be
on the ballot!

Fair Wisconsin is the state-wide organization leading the effort to
defeat the amendment. Learn about their Action Network and how you can
get involved and support their critical work at
http://www.fairwisconsin.com/.

If you are a youth or adult with LGBT parents living in Wisconsin, and
are currently doing or are interested in working on efforts to defeat
this ban, please contact Meredith Fenton, COLAGE Program Director at
mere-@colage.org or 415-861-5437.
****************
12. Research Opportunity for Individuals with Lesbian Parents!

If you are between the ages of 18 to 25 years old and grew up with a
lesbian parent or parents, you may be eligible to participate in a
research study. The study is being conducted by Kate Kuvalanka, a
doctoral candidate at the University of Maryland, College Park, and an
active member of COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere) for
the past 10+ years. The purpose of Kate’s dissertation is to explore
participants’ experiences living with lesbian parents during
adolescence. The study also examines the ways in which participants as
adolescents dealt with society’s homophobia – people’s negative
attitudes and beliefs regarding lesbian and gay people. If you are
interested in participating in Kate’s study, please contact her either
by email at kkuv-@umd.edu or by phone at (301) 405-6344.
Participants will be given $25 for their time. All information will be
kept confidential. This study has been approved by the University of
Maryland's Institutional Review Board. If you are not eligible to
participate but know someone who is, please pass this information on to
her/him. Kate really appreciates your help with spreading the word
about her study!

******************
13. Rainbow Rumpus- New features and Stories!

Dear Rainbow Rumpus Supporter,
Flo and I have been waiting to talk with you, and now, thanks to a
generous donation, we can! Log on to Rainbow Rumpus and check out our
new bulletin board section. Kids can post to a bulletin board, write
letters to us, play a game where they put words in the mouths of the
story characters, and more! For a limited time, anyone can write in to
us, whether or not they've subscribed. We can't wait to hear from you!
On the music and video pages you'll see birthday greetings and shout
outs to some of our current subscribers. We'd love to add your name.
Click on the link below to subscribe.

We're also thrilled to share a great new story with you: Best Best
Colors. Told in both English and Spanish, Best Best Colors explores a
young boy's conflicts over favorite colors and best friends. Best Best
Colors is already in print as well. If you don't own it yet, you'll
definitely want to add it to your collection.

In July we'll begin bringing you new content monthly. We're looking to
fill the following volunteer positions: Interactive Features
Coordinator, Non-Fiction Editor, and Music/Video Editor. For more
information visit our site and contact Laura Matanah, publisher. If
you'd like to distribute Rainbow Rumpus bookmarks at your local Pride
Parade, let us know. Our wings are strong, but we can't be everywhere.
Flo and I can't wait to see you at Rainbow Rumpus!
Mo
To go to the site follow this link: www.rainbowrumpus.org

====================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE NetNews!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Haas Jr Fund, Open Society Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San
Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families, American and all
our members and donors.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership
contribution today. Join COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html