Welcome Guest!
 COLAGE NetNews
COLAGE Net News, August 30th, 2006  meredith fenton
 Aug 30, 2006 11:11 PDT

COLAGE Net News
August 30th, 2006
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
===========================

In this issue of COLAGE Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. Get Postcards from Buster and Support COLAGE!
2. COLAGE Welcomes Kelly Densmore as our Interim Bay Area Program
Coordinator
3. Intern at COLAGE This Fall

COLAGE Events:
4. Act OUT: National LGBT Family Conference
5. COLAGE at the Southern Comfort Conference
6. COLAGE Metro DC Event

Actions, Opportunities and News
7. Black LGBT Media Trainings in California
8. Media Opportunity: Families affected by Reparative Therapy
9. OPINION: A Mother Adopts, and Discovers Her Own Racism

============================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
============================
1. Get Postcards from Buster and Support COLAGE!

To support the work of COLAGE and our partner Family Pride, we are
excited to announce the newly available “Buster Bundle,” benefiting
Family Pride and COLAGE. For $49.99 (/including shipping!/) this bundle
contains the DVD and book of the “Sugartime!” episode, as well as an
amazing t-shirt designed by Karen Pike, Gillian Pieper and their
children. All proceeds from the sale of these bundles will be evenly
split between Family Pride and COLAGE. *For more information, check out
the Buster Educational http://www.familypride.org/buster/ .

******************

2. COLAGE Welcomes Kelly Densmore as our Interim Bay Area Program
Coordinator

COLAGE is blessed to once again enjoy the talents of Kelly Densmore who
will be serving as the Interim Bay Area Program Coordinator while Ember
Cook is out for foot surgery. Kelly has worked with COLAGE in a variety
of capacities including summer internships, as our temporary
administrative assistant, a coordinator of COLAGE San Jose and a member
of our Family Week staffs. Originally from Northern California, Kelly is
the daughter of a lesbian mom and a straight dad who graduated last year
from the University of Santa Cruz. Please direct any questions regarding
COLAGE Bay Area or words of welcome to Kel-@colage.org.

Ember Cook will return in early October.

*****************

3. Intern at COLAGE This Fall

COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere) engages, connects and
empowers people to make the world a better place for children of
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender (LGBT) parents and families.
COLAGE is the only national organization serving people with LGBT
parents, therefore presenting a unique perspective on LGBT issues, and
providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for interns. This is a
hands-on job: you won’t just be filing, you’ll get to use your
creativity and initiative. We are looking for team players who are
motivated to learn, share, play, and work hard in support of COLAGE's
mission. Interns will assist the staff on current or new projects, with
both local and national events, and with office management. Fall
internships can range from a full-time 10 week internship to a 20 week
half-time internship. We also offer internships for college credit.

Preferred qualifications
• Computer literate (especially on PC’s), knowledge of Office 2000,
FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.

• Experience and comfort with email and phone-based organizing and
networking.

• Experience and comfort working with youth and families

• Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative

• People with LGBT parent/s

Requirements
Fall interns receive a modest stipend for their internship including
some evenings and weekends.

• Must be 18 or over if not from the Bay Area, 15 or over from the Bay
Area.

• Must be LGBT-friendly

COLAGE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
• People of color, people with disabilities, and people with LGBT
parents especially encouraged to apply.

How to Apply
Please mail or email us the following information to mere-@colage.org
or COLAGE/ 1550 Bryant Street, Suite 830, San Francisco, CA 94103:
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for COLAGE and
qualifications;
3. Contact information for two people who will serve as references and
can attest to your experience and skills.

Select applicants will be invited to participate in an interview.
Internships will begin in September or October in accordance with the
COLAGE’s needs and intern’s availability.

COLAGE also has spring and summer work-study internships; if you are
interested contact us for more information.

Need more info? Want to apply?
COLAGE, www.colage.org
1550 Bryant St. Ste. 830
SF CA 94103
phone: 415-861-5437 fax (415) 255-8345

===============
COLAGE EVENTS:
===============

4. Act OUT: The National LGBT Family Conference- Don’t miss the event
of the year~

Do/did you have at least one lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender
parent?

Have you always wanted to find a community of people with one or more
LGBT parents?
Do you want to meet MORE people with LGBT parents?

AND are you ready for a weekend of activism, education, empowerment, and
community celebration?

Are you ready to ACT OUT!?

Then let’s make it HAPPEN at ACT OUT: The National LGBT Family
Conference 2006!

ACT OUT is brought to you by COLAGE and FAMILY PRIDE.
        www.colage.org
         www.familypride.org

COLAGE, (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere), is a national
organization whose mission is to engage, connect, and empower people to
make the world a better place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and/or transgender parents and families. COLAGE is the only national
organization in the world specifically supporting children, youth and
adults with LGBT parent(s). Using our experiences and creativity, COLAGE
offers a diverse array of support, education and advocacy by and for
folks with LGBT parents.

No matter how politically active or outspoken you have or haven’t been
in the past about the issues that face youth and adults with LGBT
parents ACT OUT promises to offer you workshops, keynote events, panels,
and an invaluable space for community and coalition building in a
conference oriented environment.

ACT OUT is not just for the little ones.

If you are a teen, a young adults, or an adult then ACT OUT is for YOU
and the COLAGE Leadership track is where YOU need to be!

The COLAGE LEADERSHIP TRACK is:

A series of workshops for teens, young adults, and adults with LGBT
parents. These workshops will focus on how WE, as leaders and
activists, can develop our critical social analysis. This development
will allow us to further educate and incite social change in our
communities, in our schools, in the media, in policy, and in politics
about the issues that people with LGBT parents face. This programming
will also highlight the role adults with LGBT parents can play in social
justice and LGBT organizing as community leaders by voicing their
experiences and family backgrounds with new and old friends.

SAVE THE DATE!!        Friday October 27th through Sunday the 29th 2006

Where: THE FAIRMONT HOTEL in DALLAS, TEXAS

REGISTER TODAY at www.familypride.org
Registrations are strongly encouraged no later than September 25th!

And ACT OUT with us!

This will be one of the most transformative social justice gatherings
this year! Hundreds will attend and space is limited.

Ask your school, your college, your academic department, your
organization, or your place of employment to sponsor you. Or contact us
about scholarship information!

It’s time…So GET ON IT! And GET involved in the movement for family
equality!
Register today at www.familypride.org

For more info contact COLAGE! - 415.861-KIDS (5437) 
col-@colage.org  1550 Bryant St. San Francisco, CA. 94103

**************

5. COLAGE at the Southern Comfort Conference

COLAGE is excited to be presenting More than an Ally: The Activism Of
Children of TGs during this year’s Southern Comfort Conference. Monica
Canfield-Lenfest, COLAGE Boston Coordinator and the adult daughter of a
transparent and Christy Hubert, a COLAGE volunteer for both of our 2006
Family Weeks who has two gay, trans parents, will be presenting this
panel.

Southern Comfort prides itself on being an all-inclusive conference.
Whatever your connection to the transgender community-whether you are
transsexual, cross dresser or in between; spouse, partner or family
member; straight, gay, bi or omni sexual; post-op, pre-op or non-op;
young or old; married or single; FtM or MtF; or of any variance — if
transgender is an issue in your life, you are welcome at Southern
Comfort Conference.

This year’s event is September 19th – 24 in Atlanta, Georgia.
To learn more about Monica and Christy’s session or the event as a
whole, visit: http://www.sccatl.org/.

******************

6. COLAGE Metro DC Event

On Saturday, Sept 16th from 3 to 6 PM, COLAGE and Rainbow Families DC is

hosting a family picnic/end of summer celebration at Jequie Park (in
Takoma Park MD near DC and close to Metro). The event will include lots
of food, games and activities for kids (and adults) of all ages, and an
opportunity to meet new families and see old friends.

COLAGE will provide activities for kids 9 and up as well as a spot for
us adult COLAGErs to meet one another and interact.

Please feel free to bring any food or beverages of your liking.

We will also be announcing the next event scheduled for October…..

For more information contact Ryan Lalonde at cola-@yahoo.com.

=========================
Actions, Opportunities, and News
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

7. Black LGBT Media Trainings in California

The NBJC (http://ga4.org/ct/Lp1EZbS1Gm6F/) is partnering with GLAAD
(http://ga4.org/ct/L71EZbS1Gm6G/) in order to conduct a series of
nationwide Black LGBT media trainings. These trainings will be conducted
in every corridor of the country and will provide coaching and other
types of training to every day Black LGBT non-activists and
gay-affirming clergy alike. The focus of the trainings is to teach
individuals on how to tell their own stories and their personal truths
through the media as it relates to the intersection of being both
African American and LGBT.

These informative, interactive, and friendly trainings will also explore
very specific Black LGBT issues and the individual strategies used in
forming a media message around them. In addition, the trainings will
provide a vast array of information concerning important tips, dos and
don’ts in responding to print, television, radio, and online news
media outlets concerning LGBT issues.

Speak Your Own Truth—Tell Your Own Story

The NBJC-GLAAD Black LGBT media trainings are free to the general
public.

Los Angeles:
Wednesday, August 30th from 7pm-9:30pm
Location: Unity Fellowship Church,
5149 W Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016

San Francisco/Oakland:
Saturday, September 30th from 11am-1:30pm?
Location: The Museum of African Diaspora (MOAD),
685 Mission Street (at Third)
San Francisco, California 94105

Additional cities are being scheduled. For more information contact
heda-@nbjc.org or contact Herndon Davis at 202-349-3755.

*****************

8. Media Opportunity: Families affected by Reparative Therapy
For the past few months I have been working on a documentary concerning
homosexuality and the LDS Church. It began strictly as a short subject
on Gay Pride in SLC, but as I began to interview people, I began to hear
the same struggles and heartwrenching stories and the focus shifted. I
am focusing on the issues of reparative therapy, Marriage, what it too
for men and women to come out and leave their families and their faith
and the general issue of coming to terms with your own faith and
sexuality in a predomanantly Christian country.

We are fiscally sponsored through Globalvision and have conducted
interviews with prominent members of both the church and the gay
community. I am constantly looking for people who would like to share
their stories. I am not harboring an attack on either side, but
offering facts. We can also hide identities. If you know of anyone who
might be interested, please give them my Email address.

Thank you,
Mimi A. Broadhead
mimibro-@yahoo.com

************************

9. OPINION: A Mother Adopts, and Discovers Her Own Racism
By Lisa Lerner, ColorLines

When I was trying to decide who and from where to adopt, I had a lot of
questions about transracial adoptions, and most people responded to my
curiosity with a subtle discomfort. I felt embarrassed voicing possible
concerns to my liberal friends, because all of us were adamant that race
made no difference to our choice of friends, lovers, or tiny babies up
for adoption. But in looking around at these friends, they all seemed a
pretty tribal bunch: when it came time to make a family, in nearly every
case, like colors had stuck together.
To read this full piece, visit http://www.alternet.org/story/40531/.

====================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE NetNews!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Haas Jr Fund, Open Society Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San
Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families, American and all
our members and donors.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership
contribution today. Join COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html