Welcome Guest!
 COLAGE NetNews
COLAGE Net News * September 8th, 2006  meredith fenton
 Sep 08, 2006 11:35 PDT

COLAGE Net News
September 8th, 2006
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
===========================

In this issue of COLAGE Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. Get Postcards from Buster and Support COLAGE!
2. Buy Family Week Photos and Support COLAGE!
3. Intern at COLAGE This Fall
4. Sponsorship Opportunities for Act OUT Conference

COLAGE Events:
5. Act OUT: National LGBT Family Conference
6. COLAGE New Hampshire/Families First event

Actions, Opportunities and News
7. Donor Sibling Registry
8. ACTION ALERT: Anti-LGBT Adoption Bills in Michigan
9. Call for Submissions: Rainbow Rumpus
10. NEWS: The Closets of Karl and Ken
11. NEWS: Straight Spinster Sisters Sue For Gay Partnership Rights
12. NEWS: Historic Resolution for LGBT Rights Adopted Overwhelmingly at
National Meeting of Latino Organizations

============================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
============================
1. Get Postcards from Buster and Support COLAGE!

To support the work of COLAGE and our partner Family Pride, we are
excited to announce the newly available “Buster Bundle,” benefiting
Family Pride and COLAGE. For $49.99 (/including shipping!/) this bundle
contains the DVD and book of the “Sugartime!” episode, as well as an
amazing t-shirt designed by Karen Pike, Gillian Pieper and their
children. All proceeds from the sale of these bundles will be evenly
split between Family Pride and COLAGE. *For more information, check out
the Buster Educational http://www.familypride.org/buster/ .

*****************
2. Re-Live Your Happiest Family Week Memories and Support COLAGE!

An opportunity brought to you by Dakota Fine -- 3 year staff veteran of
Family Week, and semi-professional photographer.

Now you can purchase “digital downloads” of Dakota's Family Week photos
for only $15, and in so doing help raise money for COLAGE! Just go to
www.modamowf.smugmug.com, search for the PTown '06 gallery, and choose
which photos you want. You will be emailed an original copy of the
photograph within 24 hours which can then be printed online, taken to a
photo store to be developed, or kept on the computer for personal use.
All originals   are 8.2 megapixels, so you can blow them up really   big
without compromising the quality of the photo. The photographs have
been “watermarked” for protection -- once purchased the mark will
disappear. All proceeds will of course go to your favorite youth
organization -- COLAGE!!

Dakota says:
Hello all my lovely COLAGE friends. This idea was suggested t o me by
some of the other staff as an excellent way to raise some money for
COLAGE. I took these pictures with the intention of documenting one of
the most powerful and special weeks of my life, and I am proud to say
that some of the photographs turned out really beautifully! I hope that
you enjoyed browsing the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them. Enjoy
the smiling faces, relive the highlights, participate in social change,
and support your community. Thank you all so much!

If you have any questions for the photographer or are confused by the
website, please feel free to email Dakota at dakot-@gmail.com.
Otherwise please direct all concerns to jca-@colage.org, or call the
COLAGE office at 415-861-5437 and ask for Jesse.

*****************

3. Intern at COLAGE This Fall

Internship
COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere) engages, connects and
empowers people to make the world a better place for children of
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender (LGBT) parents and families.
COLAGE is the only national organization serving people with LGBT
parents, therefore presenting a unique perspective on LGBT issues, and
providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for interns. This is a
hands-on job: you won’t just be filing, you’ll get to use your
creativity and initiative. We are looking for team players who are
motivated to learn, share, play, and work hard in support of COLAGE's
mission. Interns will assist the staff on current or new projects, with
both local and national events, and with office management. Fall
internships can range from a full-time 10 week internship to a 20 week
half-time internship. We also offer internships for college credit.

Preferred qualifications
• Computer literate (especially on PC’s), knowledge of Office 2000,
FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.
• Experience and comfort with email and phone-based organizing and
networking.
• Experience and comfort working with youth and families
• Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative
• People with LGBT parent/s

Requirements
Fall interns receive a modest stipend for their internship including
some evenings and weekends.
• Must be 18 or over if not from the Bay Area, 15 or over from the Bay
Area.
• Must be LGBT-friendly

COLAGE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
• People of color, people with disabilities, and people with LGBT
parents especially encouraged to apply.

How to Apply
Please mail or email us the following information to mere-@colage.org
or COLAGE/ 1550 Bryant Street, Suite 830, San Francisco, CA 94103:
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for COLAGE and
qualifications;
3. Contact information for two people who will serve as references and
can attest to your experience and skills.

Select applicants will be invited to participate in an interview.
Internships will begin in September or October in accordance with the
COLAGE’s needs and intern’s availability.

COLAGE also has spring and summer work-study internships; if you are
interested contact us for more information.

Need more info? Want to apply?
COLAGE, www.colage.org
1550 Bryant St. Ste. 830
SF CA 94103
phone: 415-861-5437 fax (415) 255-8345

*****************

4. Sponsorship Opportunities for Act OUT

Sponsorship of a historic and unprecedented COLAGE plenary will gather
an array of super star role models in the LGBT family community to share
their wisdom and insights with the conference attendees. A first-ever
COLAGE Chapter Institute will bring together leadership from 15 to 30
local and regional chapters based around the country for skill-building,
networking and strategic planning. The special COLAGE
Leadership/Activism Track for youth and adults is designed to expand and
strengthen our national-level leadership pool of youth and adult
activists. A COLAGE Crew Track for youth ages 9-13 offering community
building and peer support, will also be organized at ACT OUT: National
LGBT Family Conference in Dallas, October 27-29, 2006.

We are also looking for businesses, organizations and individuals to
sponsor Youth and Adult Activists with LGBT Parents from around the
country to be able to participate in this historic event.

ACT OUT is being presented and co-coordinated by Family Pride, which
organizes the track for parents and activities for younger children. Act
OUT will give your business or organization an unprecedented opportunity
to reach the $641 billion strong LGBT market.

To receive our full sponsorship packet and learn more about this
exciting opportunity, contact Beth Teper, COLAGE Executive Director at
dire-@colage.org or 415-861-5437 x101.

===============
COLAGE EVENTS:
===============

5. Act OUT: The National LGBT Family Conference- Don’t miss the event of
the year~

Do/did you have at least one lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender
parent?

Have you always wanted to find a community of people with one or more
LGBT parents?
Do you want to meet MORE people with LGBT parents?

AND are you ready for a weekend of activism, education, empowerment, and
community celebration?

Are you ready to ACT OUT!?

Then let’s make it HAPPEN at ACT OUT: The National LGBT Family
Conference 2006!

ACT OUT is brought to you by COLAGE and FAMILY PRIDE.
        www.colage.org
         www.familypride.org

COLAGE, (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere), is a national
organization whose mission is to engage, connect, and empower people to
make the world a better place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and/or transgender parents and families. COLAGE is the only national
organization in the world specifically supporting children, youth and
adults with LGBT parent(s). Using our experiences and creativity, COLAGE
offers a diverse array of support, education and advocacy by and for
folks with LGBT parents.

No matter how politically active or outspoken you have or haven’t been
in the past about the issues that face youth and adults with LGBT
parents ACT OUT promises to offer you workshops, keynote events, panels,
and an invaluable space for community and coalition building in a
conference oriented environment.

ACT OUT is not just for the little ones.

If you are a teen, a young adults, or an adult then ACT OUT is for YOU
and the COLAGE Leadership track is where YOU need to be!

The COLAGE LEADERSHIP TRACK is:

A series of workshops for teens, young adults, and adults with LGBT
parents. These workshops will focus on how WE, as leaders and
activists, can develop our critical social analysis. This development
will allow us to further educate and incite social change in our
communities, in our schools, in the media, in policy, and in politics
about the issues that people with LGBT parents face. This programming
will also highlight the role adults with LGBT parents can play in social
justice and LGBT organizing as community leaders by voicing their
experiences and family backgrounds with new and old friends.

SAVE THE DATE!!        Friday October 27th through Sunday the 29th 2006

Where: THE FAIRMONT HOTEL in DALLAS, TEXAS

REGISTER TODAY at www.familypride.org
Registrations are strongly encouraged no later than September 25th!

And ACT OUT with us!

This will be one of the most transformative social justice gatherings
this year! Hundreds will attend and space is limited.

Ask your school, your college, your academic department, your
organization, or your place of employment to sponsor you. Or contact us
about scholarship information!

It’s time…So GET ON IT! And GET involved in the movement for family
equality!
Register today at www.familypride.org

For more info contact COLAGE! - 415.861-KIDS (5437) 
col-@colage.org  1550 Bryant St. San Francisco, CA. 94103

**************

6. COLAGE New Hampshire/Families First event

Families First Lesbian and Gay Family Social

Details:
Saturday September 9th from 3-5 PM at Families First in Portsmouth NH
603-422-8208 press 2 to register or www.familiesfirstseacoast.org
$5/child includes Pizza, separate parent group and kids group

=========================
Actions, Opportunities, and News

7. Donor Sibling Registry

The Donor Sibling Registry was created in September 2000 by Wendy Kramer
and her son Ryan, a donor child.

Certain that other donor offspring would have the same curiosity as Ryan
about his genetic origins - yet also knowing that that, sadly, no public
outlet exists for mutual consent contact between people born from
anonymous sperm donation, they started this site as the logical next
step to making those connections.

Active membership in the Donor Sibling Registry is currently more than
6700 with matches between more than 2800 half-siblings (and/or donors)
facilitated.

The focus of the Donor Sibling Registry (DSR) is to assist individuals
conceived as a result of sperm, egg or embryo donation who are seeking
to make mutually desired contact with others with whom they share
genetic ties. This may include:
• Their own or their child's half-siblings, or
• their own or their child's genetic father or mother, or
• their own genetic offspring.

www.donorsiblingregistry.com.

******************
8. ACTION ALERT: Anti-LGBT Adoption Bills in Michigan

ACT NOW to stop House Bills 5908 & 5909
Again, we know who these bills are being directed against. With all
that is in dire need of attention, our State Representatives have deemed
it necessary to stop adoptions for GLBT persons.   Write your Michigan
Senator today.
Simply Click
http://www.vote-smart.org/index.htm enter your Zip code to find contact
information for you Senator.

House Bills 5908 & 5909
Two discriminatory adoption bills passed the Michigan House of
Representatives today, September 5. House Bills 5908 & 5909, basically
would allow adoption agencies to officially deny placement of children
with parents of minorities or anyone they have a "moral objection" to.
These bills are discriminatory, unnecessary and will hurt children by
limiting the number of adoptive families who want to provide a loving
safe home.

What's At Stake:
These bills would force taxpayers to subsidize discrimination.
HB 5908 & 5909 state that adoption agencies that discriminate may still
use state funds and resources to run their agency. The bills broadly
state that agencies can deny the placement of a child to parents they
have religious or moral objections to, regardless if the adoptive family
are good parents. Private adoption agencies may have discretion in who
they discriminate against but they should not be rewarded with taxpayer
money when they do so.

***************
9. Call for Submissions: Rainbow Rumpus

Have you ever worked to get someone elected? Have you talked with people
about issues they would vote on?

Rainbow Rumpus seeks youth with LGBT parents who have been active in
electoral politics to write articles for our politics section. Please
answer the following questions in your article:

What candidate did you support or what issue did you work on?

When did you do this work?

Why did you choose to get involved? What exactly did you do?

Did being the child of one or more LGBT parents affect your decision to
do this work? If so, how?

We would also appreciate getting a digital photo of you to run with your
writing.

We look forward to receiving your submissions and sharing them on our
site! Send your submission to the attention of Laura Matanah,
edi-@rainbowrumpus.org and include your name, address, phone number
and email. You can check out our current politics page to see an example
of youth writing by Megan Jacoby, who writes about her school
experiences. Our site address is www.rainbowrumpus.org

Submissions are due by September 25th.
******************
10. NEWS: The Closets of Karl and Ken

Huffington Post
September 4, 2006
By James Moore

In July of 2004, Karl Rove was concluding a trip to Palm Springs,
California and heading off to manage the reelection campaign of George
W. Bush. The president's senior political advisor had settled on a
strategy that he was convinced would increase turnout of the
conservative Republican base as well as appeal to fundamentalist
Christians in the African-American community.

Rove and his lieutenant Ken Mehlman, who ran the Republican National
Committee, had targeted eleven swing states as locales to play out the
wedge issue of gay marriage. Although they would work closely with the
GOP state operations, Rove and Mehlman denied any coordination or
involvement. They were, as they often are, lying.

Rove had left a secret behind in the Southern California desert that
made bizarrely cynical his decision to use gay issues to motivate GOP
voters. His father, who had just died, was gay. Louis Rove had been a
prolific smoker and died of lung diseases but he had loved his son and
was very proud of his achievements. Although he was not Karl's
biological father, Louis was the only father he had ever known because
Karl's mother Reba had divorced very early in her son's life.
In an interview with Wayne Slater and myself after he had guided the
first Bush victory, Rove emphasized that he did not consider Louis his
stepfather. "I don't call him Louis," he explained. "He's my father, my
adopted father."

To read the full story visit:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-moore/the-closets-of-karl-and-k_b_28669.html

(This information is taken from the new book, "The Architect: Karl Rove
and the Master Plan for Absolute Power.")

***************
11. NEWS: Straight Spinster Sisters Sue For Gay Partnership Rights
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

September 4, 2006 - 11:00 am ET

(London) Two elderly sisters who live together say the British
government is discriminating against them because they are not lesbians
and in a same-sex relationship.

The women, who have lived together since birth and have never married
are suing the government in the European Court of Human Rights.
In their lawsuit Joyce Burden and her sister Sybil, both in their 80s,
claim that when one of them dies the other would be required to pay
massive inheritance taxes.

They argue that the taxes would be unfair since unmarried same-sex
couples are exempt from the tax under the civil partnership law.
In court papers the women's lawyer says that when the law, allowing gay
and lesbian couples to register their partnerships and attain all of the
rights of marriage, was passed it should have included cohabitating
family members who are dependant on one another.

The lawsuit says that the women spent their lives looking after their
parents and inherited the family home, but when one of the sisters dies
the other would be required to pay an inheritance tax of about a
half-million dollars.

That, says the lawsuit, would mean the survivor would have to sell the
home in which grew up and leave her with little money on which to live.
"If we were a lesbian couple, we would not be facing massive inheritance
bills," 88 year old Joyce Burden said Monday.

"It's clear we will not get any justice in this country, so we're going
to the European Court of Human Rights."

The lawsuit is based on two sections of the European Human Rights
Convention: the right to enjoy property and the non-discrimination
provision.

The court will hear the case of September 12.
©365Gay.com 2006

****************

12. NEWS: Historic Resolution for LGBT Rights Adopted Overwhelmingly at
National Meeting of Latino Organizations

Put forward by a coalition of Latino LGBT activists and organizations, a
resolution calling for LGBT equality and civil rights protections was
presented at the first Latino Congreso, and overwhelmingly adopted on
the very first day of the meeting being held in Los Angeles. There has
not been such a convening of Latino activists since 1977.

The resolution calls for, among other things,

* The expansion of legal benefits, protections, responsibilities and
privileges for all families and individuals and separate benefits from
the recognition of marital, citizenship, and/or conjugal status;

* Support for national, state, and local legislation and policiesthat
would protect LGBT Latinos/as from discrimination based on their sexual
orientation and/or gender identity;

* Opposition to restrictions on parenting and adoption by LGBT people,
same-sex couples, and unmarried cohabitating couples;

* Support for Latino/a LGBT persons to openly serve their country in the
military;

* Support for legislation and policies that would enable LGBT
Latino same-sex couples to sponsor their loved ones for purposes of
immigrations rights and benefits (such as S. 1278);

* Support for giving Latino/as the choice to legally marry their
partner;

* Opposition to anti-same-sex marriage constitutional amendments; and
finally

* Rejection of efforts to exclude LGBT Latinos/as from the larger
Latino/a US Familia.

The resolution came after a morning panel discussion with Latino/a LGBT
leaders, called "Todos Somos Familia," where issues particular to the
Latino LGBT community were discussed in one of the better attended
morning sessions.

"This kind of collaboration between Latino activists and LGBT
organizations is a long time coming, and way overdue. In this case, LGBT
organizations, notably Lambda Legal and Equality CA, made a significant
commitment to Latino LGBT needs," said Francisco Dueñas, outreach
associate for Proyecto Igualdad, a project of Lambda Legal Defense and
Education Fund. Lambda Legal is a national legal LGBT rights
organization.

Erin Glenn, community organizer for BIENESTAR, the largest Latino human
services organization in Southern California said, "The passing of this
resolution by the National Latino Congreso is a milestone in that it
signifies growing support for full equality in a critical constituency
for LGBT Latinos all over the United States."

Marlon Morales, co-author of the resolution said "passage of this
resolution represents not only a historic moment, but in practical terms
assures that Latino policy makers have a mandate to consider how their
future policies and legislation will contribute to securing full human
and civil rights for LGBT Latinos."

"Feeling the overwhelming, and in some cases emotional, support from a
diverse group of Latino/a grassroots organizers, campesinos, and
national and local leaders, showed once again what I've known all along:
Latinos put familia above all else - and today LGBT Latinos were
publicly embraced and claimed as part of that familia' said longtime
activist for LGBT and Latino rights, Laura Esquivel.

====================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE NetNews!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Haas Jr Fund, Open Society Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San
Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families, American and all
our members and donors.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership
contribution today. Join COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html