Welcome Guest!
 COLAGE NetNews
COLAGE Net News * September 20th, 2006  meredith fenton
 Sep 20, 2006 16:16 PDT

COLAGE Net News
September 20th, 2006
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
===========================

In this issue of COLAGE Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. Get Postcards from Buster and Support COLAGE!
2. Buy Family Week Photos and Support COLAGE!
3. COLAGE in the Media
4. Sponsorship Opportunities for Act OUT Conference
5. COLAGE Welcomes Jamon Franklin

COLAGE Events:
6. Act OUT: National LGBT Family Conference
7. COLAGE Chicago Event
8. Save the Date: COLAGE Salt Lake City

============================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
============================
1. Get Postcards from Buster and Support COLAGE!

To support the work of COLAGE and our partner Family Pride, we are
excited to announce the newly available “Buster Bundle,” benefiting
Family Pride and COLAGE. For $49.99 (/including shipping!/) this bundle
contains the DVD and book of the “Sugartime!” episode, as well as an
amazing t-shirt designed by Karen Pike, Gillian Pieper and their
children. All proceeds from the sale of these bundles will be evenly
split between Family Pride and COLAGE. *For more information, check out
the Buster Educational http://www.familypride.org/buster/ .

*****************
2. Re-Live Your Happiest Family Week Memories and Support COLAGE!

An opportunity brought to you by Dakota Fine -- 3 year staff veteran of
Family Week, and semi-professional photographer.

Now you can purchase “digital downloads” of Dakota's Family Week photos
for only $15, and in so doing help raise money for COLAGE! Just go to
www.modamowf.smugmug.com, search for the PTown '06 gallery, and choose
which photos you want.

You will be emailed an original copy of the photograph within 24 hours
which can then be printed online, taken to a photo store to be
developed, or kept on the computer for personal use. All originals
are 8.2 megapixels, so you can blow them up really   big without
compromising the quality of the photo. The photographs have been
“watermarked” for protection -- once purchased the mark will disappear.
All proceeds will of course go to your favorite youth organization --
COLAGE!!

Dakota says:
Hello all my lovely COLAGE friends. This idea was suggested t o me by
some of the other staff as an excellent way to raise some money for
COLAGE. I took these pictures with the intention of documenting one of
the most powerful and special weeks of my life, and I am proud to say
that some of the photographs turned out really beautifully! I hope that
you enjoyed browsing the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them. Enjoy
the smiling faces, relive the highlights, participate in social change,
and support your community. Thank you all so much!

If you have any questions for the photographer or are confused by the
website, please feel free to email Dakota at dakot-@gmail.com.
Otherwise please direct all concerns to jca-@colage.org, or call the
COLAGE office at 415-861-5437 and ask for Jesse.

*****************
3. COLAGErs in the Media

A. Being Sixteen

Caroline Cox Orrell, a member of the COLAGE Speak Out program wrote this
article for Time magazine as part of its series on Being Sixteen. To
read her piece about having two lesbian mothers visit:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1535344,00.html.

B. Two Fathers

On a dutch television show, a young teen sings about his two gay
fathers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qf0puHJ-KM

C. Finding schools that strive to be inclusive\

By Lornet Turnbull
Seattle Times
"Ours is a two-mom household."
"To our children, we are Mommy and Mom."
These conversations between parents and educators are becoming
increasingly common as the children of gay and lesbian parents show up
in larger numbers in the school system.
The anxiety parents may feel as they send their children off this time
of year is compounded for many lesbians and gays. They know that the
challenges they face in broader society could be visited upon their
children in one form or another on the playgrounds, in hallways and in
the classroom.
Many say they leave nothing to chance. From selecting a "safe" school to
ensuring language used by teachers, nurses, counselors and principals is
inclusive, of they say they want to ease the way so their children are
not ostracized.

"Tough things happen to all kids," said Carol Achtmeyer, whose
4-year-old daughter will enter kindergarten next fall. "The ideal
setting is a surrounding that supports them completely."

To read the full article, visit:
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=gayparents12m&date=20060912&query=gay+lesbian+schools

*****************

4. Sponsorship Opportunities for Act OUT

Sponsorship of a historic and unprecedented COLAGE plenary will gather
an array of super star role models in the LGBT family community to share
their wisdom and insights with the conference attendees. A first-ever
COLAGE Chapter Institute will bring together leadership from 15 to 30
local and regional chapters based around the country for skill-building,
networking and strategic planning. The special COLAGE
Leadership/Activism Track for youth and adults is designed to expand and
strengthen our national-level leadership pool of youth and adult
activists. A COLAGE Crew Track for youth ages 9-13 offering community
building and peer support, will also be organized at ACT OUT: National
LGBT Family Conference in Dallas, October 27-29, 2006.

We are also looking for businesses, organizations and individuals to
sponsor Youth and Adult Activists with LGBT Parents from around the
country to be able to participate in this historic event.

ACT OUT is being presented and co-coordinated by Family Pride, which
organizes the track for parents and activities for younger children. Act
OUT will give your business or organization an unprecedented opportunity
to reach the $641 billion strong LGBT market.

To receive our full sponsorship packet and learn more about this
exciting opportunity, contact Beth Teper, COLAGE Executive Director at
dire-@colage.org or 415-861-5437 x101.

******************

5. COLAGE Welcomes Jamon Franklin

Please welcome Jamon Franklin, who just successfully completed the
Felicia Park Rogers Summer 2006 Internship with COLAGE, as our new
part-time Operations Assistant. She has been hired on a temporary basis
through the end of 2006.

The primary duty of the Operations Assistant is to support overall
organizational and programmatic operations. Jamon brings her past skills
with book keeping, non-profit work and organization as well as her
experience having gay dads to COLAGE.

Jamon makes another wonderful addition to our staff team. Please give
her a warm welcome by calling or emailing her directly:

Jamon Franklin
415-861-5437 Ext. 111
jam-@colage.org

===============
COLAGE EVENTS:
===============

6. Act OUT: The National LGBT Family Conference- Don’t miss the event of
the year~

Do/did you have at least one lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender
parent?

Have you always wanted to find a community of people with one or more
LGBT parents?
Do you want to meet MORE people with LGBT parents?

AND are you ready for a weekend of activism, education, empowerment, and
community celebration?

Are you ready to ACT OUT!?

Then let’s make it HAPPEN at ACT OUT: The National LGBT Family
Conference 2006!

ACT OUT is brought to you by COLAGE and FAMILY PRIDE.
        www.colage.org
         www.familypride.org

COLAGE, (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere), is a national
organization whose mission is to engage, connect, and empower people to
make the world a better place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and/or transgender parents and families. COLAGE is the only national
organization in the world specifically supporting children, youth and
adults with LGBT parent(s). Using our experiences and creativity, COLAGE
offers a diverse array of support, education and advocacy by and for
folks with LGBT parents.

No matter how politically active or outspoken you have or haven’t been
in the past about the issues that face youth and adults with LGBT
parents ACT OUT promises to offer you workshops, keynote events, panels,
and an invaluable space for community and coalition building in a
conference oriented environment.

ACT OUT is not just for the little ones.

If you are a teen, a young adults, or an adult then ACT OUT is for YOU
and the COLAGE Leadership track is where YOU need to be!

The COLAGE LEADERSHIP TRACK is:

A series of workshops for teens, young adults, and adults with LGBT
parents. These workshops will focus on how WE, as leaders and
activists, can develop our critical social analysis. This development
will allow us to further educate and incite social change in our
communities, in our schools, in the media, in policy, and in politics
about the issues that people with LGBT parents face. This programming
will also highlight the role adults with LGBT parents can play in social
justice and LGBT organizing as community leaders by voicing their
experiences and family backgrounds with new and old friends.

SAVE THE DATE!!        Friday October 27th through Sunday the 29th 2006

Where: THE FAIRMONT HOTEL in DALLAS, TEXAS

REGISTER TODAY at www.familypride.org
Registrations are strongly encouraged no later than September 25th!

And ACT OUT with us!

This will be one of the most transformative social justice gatherings
this year! Hundreds will attend and space is limited.

Ask your school, your college, your academic department, your
organization, or your place of employment to sponsor you. Or contact us
about scholarship information!

It’s time…So GET ON IT! And GET involved in the movement for family
equality!
Register today at www.familypride.org

For more info contact COLAGE! - 415.861-KIDS (5437) 
col-@colage.org  1550 Bryant St. San Francisco, CA. 94103

Can’t decide whether to join us at Act OUT? Want to connect to other
adults with LGBT parents for sharing hotel rooms? Join the a new Yahoo
Group to chat with others and work it all out.

**************
7. COLAGE Chicago Event

September Chicago COLAGE Outing

Event: Miniature Golf (beautiful 18 hole course)

Location: Sports Park Driving Range & Adventure Golf
3459 Oakton St
Skokie, IL 60076
(847) 674-1500 x3100
Go to www.mapquest.com for directions.

Date: Saturday, September 30, 2006 (dress warmly)

Time: 1:00pm-3:00pm

Cost: $6.00 ages 11 and under/$7.00 ages 12 and up for one round. We
will probably play 2 rounds.

Area Attractions: Old Orchard Mall, Lincolnwood Town Center &
Sculpture Park

RSVP: Please RSVP no later than Wednesday, September 27th to
tinatf-@aol.com.

Contact: Tina Fakhrid-Deen tinatf-@aol.com
773-548-3349 home 773-398-2086 cell

Parents can attend outing if they’d like, but we are trying to get back
to pre-teen/teen-centered outings. If you have children under age 10, we
ask that at least one adult family member stay to help chaperone.
Otherwise, parents can use this time to explore the area attractions, go
to lunch or just have a little “free time”.

******************

8. Save the Date: COLAGE Salt Lake City

Have you ever wondered if you were the only one that has a lesbian, gay,
bisexual, or transgender parent? Well, you are not alone. COLAGE
(children of lesbian and gays everywhere) is a nationally recognized
organization that supports and empowers youth that have LGBT parents.

If you are 11-17 years old and have an LGBT parent, we would love for
you to join us for a COLAGE pizza and soda social. This event will take
place October 13th 2006 at 7:00 p.m. and will be held in the middle
meeting room of the LGBT Center of Utah.

This will be a great opportunity to meet others who also face the
everyday challenges and benefits of having a LGBT parent. We will have
a chance get to know each other and to get to know a little bit about
our families. We’ll also discuss the future of COLAGE and the
possibility of upcoming activities. The best part of all: you will be
in a safe and supportive environment where you don’t have to worry about
being judged for loving your LGBT parent. We hope to see you there!

For any questions feel free to call or e-mail Cara Cerise. Phone
number: (801) 487-4649 Email: carac-@hotmail.com.

Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE NetNews!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Haas Jr Fund, Open Society Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San
Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families, American and all
our members and donors.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership
contribution today. Join COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html