Welcome Guest!
 COLAGE NetNews
COLAGE Net News * December 15th, 2006  meredith fenton
 Dec 15, 2006 12:00 PST

COLAGE Net News
December 15th, 2006
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
===========================

Please note that the COLAGE office will be closed December 23rd- January
2nd. We look forward to speaking with you in the New Year and wish a
very happy holiday season to you and yours.

We’ll be back in 2007 with a BRAND NEW FORMAT for COLAGE Net News!

In this issue of COLAGE Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. COLAGE Radio Tour Reaching Millions
2. COLAGE Spring Internships
3. COLAGE Joins No Name Calling Week
4. COLAGErs in the Media

COLAGE Events:
5. COLAGE Speak OUT Trainings in California
6. COLAGE Chicago Ice Skating Event
7. New COLAGE New Orleans group for older Youth
8. COLAGE Boston Bowl-a-thon

============================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
============================

1. COLAGE Radio Tour Reaching Millions

The COLAGE and Freedom to Marry radio tour continues to spread messages
of awareness and equality across the country. By conducting interviews
with regional and national radio programs, COLAGE teens and young
adults, with LGBT parents, have been speaking out to defend justice and
equality for ourselves and our families. Our six radio tour members are
articulate voices representing diverse backgrounds and families who
highlight the actual blessings and challenges that young people with
LGBT parents experience.

In the 2.5 months of the Radio Tour, over 7.8 million listeners have
heard the unique and vital voices of COLAGErs. To date members of the
Radio Tour have spoken out during interviews on:
WMNF-FM in Tampa
WOJB-FM in Duluth, MN
KNON-FM, a national affiliate of the Pacific Stations
WBNW-AM, The Frankie Boyer Show heard in Boston
Lifestyle Talk Radio Network
WFNY-FM in the greater NYC area
WBAI-FM in NY, NJ and CT
WXCE-AM in MN and WI
KCMN-AM, #1 Adult Contemporary in the Colorado Springs Area
WTBQ-AM News/Talk in Albany, NY
The Bev Smith Show on the American Urban Radio Network,
and the Mimi Rosenberg show on WBAI-FM in NYC.

For more information or to schedule a member of the radio tour on your
local radio outlet, contact Meredith Fenton, COLAGE Program Director at
415-861-5437 or mere-@colage.org.

****************

2. COLAGE Spring Internships

Want to make a different in the lives of people with LGBT parents?
Want to learn about working in a grass-roots, non-profit organization?
Come intern at COLAGE!
COLAGE engages, connects and empowers people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender parents
and families.

COLAGE Internship Program
We are looking for interns for Spring 2007 (Anytime between January and
May) to support our ongoing work to engage, connect and empower people
with LGBT parents. Internships are half-time (2o hours per week)
positions for a period of 20 weeks at a time, OR can be full-time for a
period of at least 10 weeks at a time and aim to promote development of
young leadership, allow participants a hands-on look at the non-profit
field, teach interns about LGBT families issues, and promise to be a lot
of fun!

COLAGE is the only national organization serving people with LGBT
parents, therefore presenting a unique perspective on LGBT issues, and
providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for interns. This is a
hands-on job: you won’t just be filing, you’ll get to use your
creativity and initiative. We are looking for team players who are
self-motivated and enjoy working hard. Interns will assist the staff on
current or new projects that fit their interests and skills. COLAGE is
in a small office staffed by a combination of full-time staff, part-time
staff, and a bunch of volunteers where energy, enthusiasm and competence
are abundant.

Preferred qualifications
• Computer literate (especially on PC’s), knowledge of Office 97/2000,
FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.
• Experience and comfort with email and phone-based organizing and
networking.
• Experience and comfort working with youth and families
• Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative.
• People with LGBT parent/s.

Requirements
Interns receive a $1,500-2000 (DOE) stipend for a twenty-week, half
time internship including some evenings and weekends. We will try to
help you find low-cost or free housing if you need it.
• Must make at least a twenty-week, half-time commitment. Or a ten plus,
full-time commitment.
• Must be 18 or over if not from the Bay Area, 15 or over from the Bay
Area.
• Must be LGBT-positive.
• People of color, people with disabilities, and people with LGBT
parents especially encouraged to apply.

How to Apply
Please mail, email, or fax us the following information:
1. Your resume;
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for COLAGE and
qualifications;
3. Contact information for two people who will serve as references and
can attest to your experience and skills.

Interviews will be conducted with select applicants in mid-December or
early January.

Need more info? Want to apply? COLAGE, 1550 Bryant Street, Suite 830,
San Francisco, CA 94103
phone: 415-861-5437    fax (415) 255-8345,      dire-@colage.org
www.colage.org

******************
3. COLAGE Joins the No Name-Calling Week Coalition

January 22 – 26, 2007
www.NoNameCallingWeek.org

COLAGE has joined together with GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight
Education Network) and Simon and Schuster Children’s Publishing in
collaboration with nearly 50 education, mental health, youth advocacy
and social justice organizations to address the problem of name-calling
and verbal bullying in U.S. schools. During the week of January 22 - 26,
2007, schools serving grades five through eight across the nation will
be asked to take part in a week of educational activities aimed at
stopping name-calling and creating safer and more affirming schools for
all students.

Students with LGBT parents often share with COLAGE their experiences
with name-calling and hearing homophobic slurs in the hallways of their
schools. COLAGE hopes that this week of action will continue to develop
safer schools for all students, including those with one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent/s.

No Name-Calling Week was inspired by a young adult novel entitled The
Misfits by popular author James Howe. The novel tells the story of four
best friends trying to survive the seventh grade in the face of all too
frequent taunts based on their weight, height, intelligence and sexual
orientation/gender expression. Motivated by the inequities they see
around them, the "Gang of Five" (as they are known) creates a new
political party during student council elections and runs on a platform
aimed at wiping out name-calling of all kinds. Though they lose the
election, they win the support of the school’s principal for their cause
and their idea for a “No Name Day” at school.

Motivated by this simple, yet powerful, idea, schools across the nation
will again organize No Name-Calling Week during January 22–26, 2007. The
project seeks to focus national attention on the problem of name-calling
and bullying in schools, and to provide students and educators with the
tools and inspiration to launch an on-going dialogue about ways to
eliminate name-calling in their communities. The project is targeted at
grades five through eight—years when the problem of name-calling is
particularly acute—but the concept can be easily adapted by students and
educators at other grade levels. Students age 5-15 are eligible to
participate in the “Creative Expression Contest.”

We hope that you will join us in our efforts to end name-calling in our
schools. Visit www.NoNameCallingWeek.org to register your school,
download and order educational materials and find our more about this
exciting project. Additionally, COLAGE offers several excellent
educational tools that can assist your school or community in addressing
the experiences of youth with LGBT parents specifically.
Visit http://colage.org/resources/visibility.htm to learn more!

If you are a youth with LGBT parents, a teacher or a parent who will be
participating in No Name Calling Week, please let us know! Tell us how
your school will fight name calling and homophobia in January. Email
mere-@colage.org.

*******************

4. COLAGErs in the Media

Adult COLAGEr, Abbie Goldberg has a published piece in the new issue of
the Journal of Families Studies. Abbie who teachers at Clark University
in Worcester, MA has presented about youth and adults with LGBT parents
at the National Council on Family Relations with COLAGE for two years.

Her new article is Talking About Family: Disclosure Practices of Adults
Raised by Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Parents.
Although a growing literature exists on children of lesbian, gay, and
bisexual (LGB) parents, little is known about these children's
experiences as adults. Of interest is how these individuals negotiate
disclosure of their parents' sexual orientation. This qualitative study
of 42 adults raised by LGB parents explores this issue. Participants
grew up in a diverse range of contexts: Some were always aware of their
family's nontraditional status, some were told in childhood, and others
were never explicitly told. As adults, participants described a number
of reasons for coming out about their family, including a desire to
educate, a desire to "screen out" homophobic individuals, and a need for
openness in their relationships. Several participants did not disclose
about their families at all, and several told only when necessary.
Findings are discussed in terms of the diversity inherent among adult
children of LGB parents and implications for practice, policy, and
research.

To read her publication, visit
http://jfi.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/28/1/100?etoc.

===============
COLAGE EVENTS:
===============
5. COLAGE Speak Out and OUTspoken Families Trainings in San Francisco,
San Diego and Los Angeles!

Do you want to impact change for youth and families? Become OUTSPOKEN!
Join over 650 LGBTQ parents, youth and adult children of LGBTQ people,
extended family members and caring allies who have already committed to
making a commitment to speak about the need for full family equality.
Parents will Become a part of Family Pride's national speakers bureau
for family equality, OUTSpoken Families while youth and adults with LGBT
parents will join the COLAGE national network of activists, Speak OUT.

Get comfortable talking about our families: this could be to their
extended family over dinner, in your schools or preschools, in your
faith community, on the weekend or a town hall forum full of seniors.
When we share the true experiences and lives of our families, we impact
change- learn how to use public speaking, informal conversations or the
media to make a difference in the lives of children, youth, adults and
parents in LGBT families. We are committed to taking every opportunity
possible to make our families visible and our needs understood!

Trina Olson Program & Education Manager for Family Pride and Meredith
Fenton, COLAGE Program Director will lead this exciting training with
specific breakouts for parents, allies and youth and adults with LGBT
parents.

COME TO THE TRAINING NEAREST YOU!

Northern California Training
January 27, 2006
10 a.m. -2:00 p.m.

Co-Presented by: Our Family Coalition, Family Pride and COLAGE.
Location: SF LGBT Community Center, 1800 Market Street.
Co-sponsored by PFLAG, the LGBT Early Childhood Education Initiative and
others.
Childcare provided. Please R.S.V.P. for childcare to Yensing at
415-981-1960, or email her at yens-@ourfamily.org.

San Diego Training
Sat. Feb.3rd
Time: 10:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m.

Location: San Diego LGBT Community Center, 3909 Centre Street, San
Diego, CA
Sponsored by San Diego Family Matters, COLAGE, and Family Pride.
Organized by the California Family Unity Network (CalFUN).

Los Angeles Training
Sun. Feb.4th
Time: 1:00 pm-5:00 pm

Location: the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Village at Ed Gould Plaza
1125 N. McCadden Place, Los Angeles, CA
Sponsored by the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Family Services Program,
COLAGE, and Family Pride. Organized by the California Family Unity
Network (CalFUN).

*********************
6. COLAGE Chicago Ice Skating Event

Event: Ice Skating!
Location: Midway Plaisance Park
1130 Midway Plaisance North (east 59th Street at Woodlawn),
312.745.2470

Date: Saturday, December 16, 2006
Time: 1-2:30pm (shorter timeframe so we won’t freeze our tootsies off!)

Cost: $3 skate rental. Admission is $4 for children, and $5 for adults

Items to Bring: Warm clothes, two pair of socks, a hat, scarf and cozy
gloves

Area Attractions for Parents:
The rink is located in Hyde Park on the lovely University of Chicago
campus. Museum of Science & Industry, DuSable Museum, and dozens of
campus cafes and restaurants. After ice skating, you may want to hit
Medici’s on 57th for fantastic hot cocoa!

Age Limit: All ages of youth and adults with one or more lesbian ,gay,
bisexual and/or transgender parent/s.

RSVP: Please RSVP no later than Wednesday afternoon, December 13th to
tinatf-@aol.com or call me at 773-398-2086 to confirm.

Contact: Tina Fakhrid-Deen tinatf-@aol.com
773-548-3349 home 773-398-2086 cell

***************

7. New COLAGE New Orleans Group for Youth

COLAGE NEW ORLEANS gets a new "chapter" to its Chapter!

COLAGE New Orleans events over the past 3 years have focused on kids of
all ages (1month to 15). Events have been very fun and very active over
the past three years. COLAGE New Orleans is now ready to add a new
addition to its monthly events. COLAGErs age 9 to 15 will have their
very first "event/meeting" on Sunday, January 27th, 2007. The pre-teens
and teens will be able to talk about their families in a safe setting,
with licensed social workers and a child psychologist on hand.
Discussions and topics that impact COLAGErs will be introduced in a safe
and fun environment for the youth. The event will end with a movie
appropriate for all age ranges expected to attend and some pizza and
snacks. For more information, please contact COLAGE New Orleans
president Dale Liuzza @ colagene-@aol.com.

******************

8. COLAGE Boston Bowl-a-thon

Join Boston COLAGE at the Milky Way lounge and lanes in Jamaica Plain on
January 27th from 3-5! Boston COLAGE is hosting its first fundraising
event, so bring your family and friends, $25 a person for two hours of
bowling and snacks to support our chapter. Email us at bos-@colage.org
if you have questions. We will be posting more details about ticket
sales shortly.
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE NetNews!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Haas Jr Fund, Open Society Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San
Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families, American and all
our members and donors.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership
contribution today. Join COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html. You
may be able to make your gift go farther if your employer has a matching
program for charitable donations. If it's appropriate, ask about it at
work!