Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
COLAGE Announces Grant Program to Support LGBT Families, Children Affect  emb-@colage.org
 Jan 12, 2006 15:26 PST

COLAGE Announces Grant Program to Support LGBT Families, Children
Affected by Hurricane Katrina

Grants Are A First for New Orleans-Area LGBT Families

San Francisco - COLAGE (Children Of Lesbians And Gays Everywhere)
announced the first grant program for Hurricane Katrina-related New
Orleans area lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender-headed households
with children under the age of 18. The program is made possible by a
grant from The National Youth Advocacy Coalition’s Hurricane Katrina
LGBT Relief Fund.

“We awarded COLAGE the grant because they had such a strong connection
to families in New Orleans,” said Craig Bowman. “We created the fund in
order to help the LGBT community, and COLAGE is poised and ready to
support the fund’s goals.”

COLAGE is a non-profit organization run by and for children with
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parents. The organization’s
mission is to engage, connect, and empower people to make the world a
better place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender
parents and families. COLAGE has an active and well-established chapter
in New Orleans.

“Our families were hit just as hard by Katrina, as other families,” said
COLAGE Executive Director Beth Teper. “It is our hope that these grants
will help fill some gaps in services that our LGBT families are
experiencing as they work to recover from this tragic experience.”

The grant application is available to individual families at
www.colage.org or by calling (415) 861-KIDS(5437). A COLAGE committee
will review all of the applications after the Friday, February 10, 2006
deadline. Grants of $500.00 each will be awarded to the first 60
eligible families to submit complete applications.

“No amount is too small for any family at this stage in the
game--anything helps,” stated Dale Liuzza, a gay parent who serves on
the COLAGE Board of Directors and coordinates the New Orleans chapter.
“These grants will help families in many useful ways and show that
COLAGE cares for children with LGBT parents and their families.”

In the wake of Katrina, the COLAGE staff and chapter coordinator
connected New Orleans families with other LGBT families across the
country for temporary housing. In addition to grants to individual
families, the New Orleans chapter will also receive a grant to conduct
family-oriented programming for LGBT families in 2006.

Interviews with LGBT families and COLAGE staff are available upon
request.