Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
Thursday, January 26th, 2006  emb-@colage.org
 Jan 26, 2006 18:11 PST

COLAGE Bay Area Net News
Thursday, January 26th, 2006
========================

In this edition of Bay Area Net News:

COLAGE Announcements:
1. Chinese New Year Parade Float Decorating Activity
2. East Bay Middle School Group Meeting this Sunday!!
3. San Francisco Middle School Group Meeting
4. East Bay COLAGE Crew Pizza Party!!!!
5. DCYF LGBT Family Community Hearing
6. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!
7. The Felicia Park-Rogers Summer Internship Program at COLAGE
8. Do you have extra housing to share with a COLAGE Intern?

Community Bulletin Board and News:
9. LGBT Parent School Support Network
10. Jon C. Cook Scholarship Announced

====================
1. Chinese New Year Parade Float Decorating Activity

Chinese New Year Parade 2006 – Year of the Dog
Join the Gay Asian Pacific Alliance, families and friends & show your
support!

“A Chinese New Year Parade
Family Float Art Activity”

Come join Our Family Coalition for an afternoon of
Child-centered Fun and Creativity!

*** Please RSVP for pre-parade activity and to march in the parade,
verl-@ourfamily.org

Pre-Parade Activity
What: A Chinese New Year Parade Family Float Building Activity

            (Art activity/painting hearts: appropriate for children ages
3 & up)

When: Saturday, January 28th, 11AM – 3PM

Where: South Berkeley Senior Center, 2939 Ellis Street (@ Ashby)

Actual Parade
What: Chinese New Year Parade
When: Saturday, February 11 @ 4PM

This year OFC is partnering with the Gay Asian Pacific Alliance (GAPA)
and others for the Chinese New Year Parade—Year of the Dog (the actual
Parade is on Saturday, Feb. 11). The San Francisco Chinese New Year
Parade is an annual event witnessed by a wide cross-section of people,
both Asian and non-Asian, locally and the world over. Thousands of
spectators line the city streets to watch the Parade “live” while tens
of thousands of viewers watch the Parade on television in the U.S. as
well as in Asia.

THIS YEAR'S FLOAT CONCEPT:

The GAPA float will feature a symbolic "family tree." It's covered with
hundreds of hearts that show the love surrounding lesbian and gay
Asian-American families. We will see two same-sex couples in traditional
wedding attire with their children. Each child will even carry a pet
dog. We will see a white picket-fence encircling the entire float. The
music playing in the background will be a medley of classic TV family
shows, everything from the "Brady Bunch" theme to "The Cosby Show."

GAPA's theme for the Year of the Dog is, "Proud of our marriages; proud
of our families." One of the cornerstones of GAPA's participation in
this year's Chinese New Year parade is to reinforce the notion that
families take many forms. Family ties are very important to the Chinese,
and this year's float showcases how the Chinese can embrace same-sex
couples as part of the larger Chinese-American family. GAPA also wants
to show their Asian brothers and sisters from around the world that gays
and lesbians are just like everybody else-and that everyone, whether
straight or gay, deserves the freedom to marry, build a home, and live a
long happy life.

**** RSVP: Verlena Johnson, Membership and Outreach Coordinator,
verl-@ourfamily.org or 415-981-1960.

***************************************

2. East Bay Middle School Group Meeting this Sunday!!

If you live in the east bay, are in middle school, and have one or more
LGBT parent then have we got a rockin good time for you!

What: East Bay Middle School Group- a peer support group for youth with
one or more lgbt parent. For this meeting we will be talking about
activism and how we are activists. We will also be making buttons to
wear to school to church or where ever that talks about the change that
we want to see in the world. Come hang out, eat snacks and play games
with youth that have families like yours!

When: Sunday January 29th from 1pm-4pm

Where: Pacific Center For Human Growth
2712 Telegraph Ave, Berkeley 94705

For more information or to RSVP contact Ember at emb-@colage.org or
415-861-5437.

******************

3. San Francisco Middle School Group Meeting

IT’S NOT TO LATE TO JOIN THE COOLEST GROUP FOR SAN FRANCISCO MIDDLE
SCHOOLER’S!!

What: Middle School Group- a peer support group for youth with one or
more lgbt parent. Come hang out, eat snacks and play games with youth
that have families like yours!

When: Sunday February 5th from 1pm-4pm

Where: LYRIC
127 Collingwood St at 18th St in the Castro

To RSVP or with any questions feel free to contact Ember at
emb-@colage.org or 415-861-5437 ext 103

******************************
4. East Bay COLAGE Crew Pizza Party!!!!

SAVE THE DATE FOR THIS AWESOME EVENT

If you are in 3rd - 5th grades, live in the east bay and have one or
more LGBT parents then you are invited to a pizza party with your peers.

When: Sunday, February 12th

This pizza party was won by the East Bay COLAGE Crew for their
outstanding fundraising efforts for the 10th Annual Bowl-A-Thon. More
details will be coming but make sure to save the date.

For more information contact Ember at 415-861-5437 ext 103 or
emb-@colage.org

*******************************
5. DCYF LGBT Family Community Hearing
Feb. 16 – Tell the City Why LGBT Families and Youth need Public Support
at the DCYF Community Planning Meeting.

Let the City know why they need to fund LGBT family programs. We are
often invisible in public discussions about SF families. This is the
time to talk about what our needs are and why the city should support
us. DCYF—The San Francisco Department of Children, Youth and Their
Families—is hosting 19 community meetings over the next 2 months to get
a real understanding about how different communities want to spend
Children's Fund money - $33 Million - on children and youth programs
citywide and in their neighborhoods. An LGBT specific meeting is being
held on Feb. 16 from 6-8 at the SF LGBT Community Center.

Please come and support Our Family Coalition, COLAGE, Lyric, the LGBT
Community Center KidSpace, Mamas & Papas, and other services for LGBT
youth and families.

Free childcare and light dinner will be provided. Please R.S.V.P. if you
need childcare to 554-8967.

For more info : www. Dcyf.org.

************************************
6. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!

COLAGE is thrilled to once again be a part of Provincetown Family Week
coming to Ptown, MA in Summer 2006. (July 29th- August 5th, 2006).
During this week, hundreds of LGBT families take over a town for
parties, family events, workshops, dances, beach time, and more. We are
looking for adult COLAGErs (Folks 18 and over who have one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent/s) to serve as
volunteer COLAGE staff for this fun and inspiring event.

Staff are expected to arrive in Provincetown, MA on Friday, July 28th
for staff orientation and training and to stay through Saturday, August
5th.

The COLAGE Family Week Staff team works together to provide social,
educational, and community building activities for youth ages 9 and up.
COLAGE activities will be offered for three groups of youth with LGBT
parents: Camp COLAGE for 3rd-5th graders, COLAGE Crew for Middle School
youth, and the COLAGE High School Program.

Who can apply? To be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Staff you must be
at least 18 years old; we are especially are looking for people who have
one or more LGBT parent(s), people of color and men to join our staff.

What does it mean to be on the Family Week Staff?
If you commit to serve as volunteer staff it means that Family Week
becomes more of a job (albeit a fun and exciting job) than a vacation.
We also do ask that our staff commit to being present for the entire
week starting with staff training on July 28th. In addition to the week
of the event itself, Family Week Staff will help with workshop and
activity planning beginning in May 2006 via email and 1 or 2 phone
conference calls in the month and a half prior to Family Week.

In return, you have the chance to affect the lives of youth with LGBT
parents by sharing your experiences, your enthusiasm, and your energy
with an amazing group of youth. You also have the unique opportunity to
connect with other adults with LGBT parents who are a part of the team.
There will be time to enjoy the queer friendly vacation atmosphere of
Ptown. And lots more!

Room, Board and Travel: COLAGE Volunteer Staff are given the option of
communal COLAGE housing- this summer we are renting two community houses
for our staff who live together and share community meals (At no cost to
Staff). You may also choose to stay with your family or friends on your
own. Staff volunteers are responsible for their own travel arrangements
to and from Family Week but we are happy to assist with travel stipends,
flight vouchers, carpools, etc when possible. COLAGE covers the cost of
housing (if you stay in the COLAGE Staff house) and meals for staff
during Family Week.

To apply:
We are looking for a diverse staff of 20+ adult COLAGErs for this
amazing opportunity. If you are interested, please return the attached
Volunteer Interest Form to Meredith Fenton, COLAGE Program Director at
mere-@colage.org by March 31st, 2006.

To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Meredith at
415-861-5437, ext. 102 or Mere-@colage.org.

*********************************

7. The Felicia Park-Rogers Summer Internship Program at COLAGE

Come work in the national headquarters of COLAGE this summer! COLAGE
engages, connects and empowers people to make the world a better place
for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender (LGBT)
parents and families.

The Felicia Park-Rogers Internship Program

The COLAGE Summer Internship Program is named for our visionary former
director Felicia Park-Rogers who started the summer internship program
during her leadership of COLAGE. We honor her commitment to people with
LGBT parents, creativity, energy and years of leadership through 10-week
internships that promote development of young leadership, allow
participants a hands-on look at the non-profit field, teach interns
about LGBT families issues, and promise to be a lot of fun!

COLAGE is the only national organization serving people with LGBT
parents, therefore presenting a unique perspective on LGBT issues, and
providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for interns. This is a
hands-on job: you won’t just be filing, you’ll get to use your
creativity and initiative. We are looking for team players who are
motivated to learn, share, play, and work hard in support of COLAGE's
mission. Interns will assist the staff on current or new projects, with
both local and national events, and with office management.

Preferred qualifications
·   Computer literate (especially on PC’s), knowledge ofOffice 2000,
FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.
·   Experience and comfort with email and phone-based organizing and
networking.
·   Experience and comfort working with youth and families
·   Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative
·   People with LGBT parent/s

Requirements
Summer interns receive a stipend for a ten-week, full time internship
including some evenings and weekends. We will help you find low-cost or
free housing when possible.
·   Must make at least a ten-week, full-time commitment during the
summer.
·   Must be 18 or over if not from the Bay Area, 15 or over from the Bay
Area.
·   Must be LGBT-positive

COLAGE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
·   People of color, people with disabilities, and people with LGBT
parents especially encouraged to apply.

How to Apply for Summer Internships
Deadline: Friday, April 7th 2006
Postmark by April 7th or fax by midnight on April 7th
Please mail, email, or fax us the following information:
1. Your resume;
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for
COLAGE and qualifications;
3. Contact information for two people who will serve as references and
can attest to your experience and skills.

Select applicants will be invited to participate in an interview during
April. Internships will be offered during May.

COLAGE also has fall/spring work-study internships; if you are
interested contact COLAGE for more information.

Need more info? Want to apply?
COLAGE, 3543 18th St, #1
SF CA 94110
phone: 415-861-5437    fax (415) 255-8345,
www.colage.org

8. Do you have extra housing to share with a COLAGE Intern?

Here is an easy way to make a difference in the lives of children, youth
and adults with LGBT parents.
Each summer, COLAGE hosts 1-3 young adults through our internship
program who hugely impact our ability to continue our programming and
services. Interns receive only a modest stipend for full-time work for
10 weeks.

If you have an extra room, guest room, or other room to rent for free or
cheap to a COLAGE Intern, please let us know! Most internships run from
early June- mid- August. Of course you will get to talk with selected
interns to make sure its a right match for your house. Perhaps you have
a college student, or a child who will be at camp- if you might have a
space in your home for a COLAGE intern please email Meredith Fenton,
COLAGE Program Director at mere-@colage.org to talk about the
possibilities.

Thanks so much in advance!

=====.=====================
Community Bulletin Board
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

9. LGBT Parent School Support Network
San Francisco
It is not too late to join this dynamic group of San Francisco LGBT
parents! Join us to learn about what parents can do to make their
schools friendlier towards LGBT families. These trainings will connect
you with practical resources and help you develop an action plan for
change at your child (ren)'s school. Parents will support each and keep
in communication between meetings by email. Join us for our next meeting
on:

Saturday, March 4
3:00 - 5:30pm
3rd Meeting of the LGBT Parent School Support Network

Free child care in the Center's fabulous KidSpace, RSVP to 415-865-5553.

Location: The SF LGBT Community Center at 1800 Market St. at Octavia.
Take MUNI JKLMN to Van Ness Station or above ground F Line to Octavia

********************************
10. Jon C. Cook Scholarship Announced

The San Francisco Police Officers Pride Alliance is proud to announce
this years application period for the officer Jon C. Cook Scholarship.
This scholarship was named after Officer Jon C. Cook the first openly
Gay officer to be killed in the line of duty in San Francisco. This
scholarship is open to the following individuals:

Students in their senior year of High School with a minumum 3.0 Grade
point average.

Students must be either:

An LGBT Youth
The Child of an LGBT Parent
The Child of a San Francisco Police Officer (Active or Retired)

This year we plan on distributing over $5000.00 in Scholarships, and are
looking forward to helping students in all of our catagories.

An application can be downloaded from our website at
www.sfpopridealliance.org it is available in either adobe acrobat or
Microsoft Word form. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you.

===================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE Bay Area Net News!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, Horizons Foundation, Open Society
Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco Children and Families
Commission, San Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families,
Castro Lions, ACLU, Providian Financial and all our members.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership contribution today. Join
COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html