Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
Thursday, February 7th, 2006  emb-@colage.org
 Feb 09, 2006 11:55 PST

COLAGE Bay Area Net News
Thursday, February 7th, 2006
========================

In this edition of Bay Area Net News:

COLAGE Announcements:
1. SF COLAGE Crew will march in the Chinese New Year Parade this
SATURDAY
2. East Bay COLAGE Crew Pizza Party!!!!
3. San Mateo County Valentines Day Rally
4. DCYF LGBT Family Community Hearing
5. YLAP Movie Party
6. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!
7. The Felicia Park-Rogers Summer Internship Program at COLAGE
8. Do you have extra housing to share with a COLAGE Intern?

Community Bulletin Board and News:
9. Queer Youth Advocacy Day 2006 -- Here's how to get involved!
10. OFC Perspective Parent Panel
11. ECE Initiative Conference
12. Slide Ranch LGBT Family Day
13. The Coro Exploring Leadership Program
14. LGBT Parent School Support Network
15. Jon C. Cook Scholarship Announced

====================
1. SF COLAGE Crew will march in the Chinese New Year Parade this
SATURDAY

We will be marching with the Gay Asian Pacific Alliance Marriage &
Family Equality Float. COLAGE will be bringing our own sign and we need
as many youth as possible to be apart of this amazing parade. Come and
help represent all queer families and have fun with COLAGE.

Below is the all of the information we have so far. If you are
interested in coming call Ember at 415-861-5437 or emb-@colage.org and
we will work out all the details.

Chinese New Years Parade — Volunteers & Marchers Wanted!
This year OFC and COLAGE is partnering with the Gay Asian Pacific
Alliance (GAPA) and others for the Chinese New Year Parade—Year of the
Dog (the actual Parade is on Saturday, Feb. 11). The San Francisco
Chinese New Year Parade is an annual event witnessed by a wide
cross-section of people, both Asian and non-Asian, locally and the world
over. Thousands of spectators line the city streets to watch the Parade
“live” while tens of thousands of viewers watch the Parade on television
in the U.S. as well as in Asia.

In 2005, GAPA was very successful in getting press coverage for their
float. It was featured on the evening news of all the major San
Francisco TV stations as well as included in the AP newswire of the
Parade.   The press coverage served to increase the reach of our message
to an even wider segment of the public.
For the 2006 Parade, the float will be accompanied by a marching
contingent of 200 supporters. The large contingent of marchers will
make a strong statement about the support by the San Francisco API
community for Marriage & Family Equality. We are very excited that Our
Family Coalition and COLAGE will be included in this contingent!!!

March with us during the day of the parade on
Saturday, February 11, 2006 from 5:30 pm - 9:00 pm
through downtown Chinatown. All volunteer marchers
will receive a COMMEMORATIVE RED, CHINESE NEW YEAR
RAIN PONCHO!

WHERE TO MEET:
Instead of a specific location, our contingent is identified primarily
by the following designation, "Section D, Unit 51A." Our float and
marching contingent is located in the middle of the parade (a great spot
this year) between the Cal Aggie Marching Band and the Lion Dancers! The
general location is on Market Street (between 2nd to Beale Streets).
Don't be surprised to find dozens of large floats.

HOW TO IDENTIFY OUR FLOAT:
Our float is a large, 15-foot tree, covered with red hearts and
encircled by a white-picket fence.

WHAT TO WEAR:
Please wear a warm top (it can get quite chilly at night in downtown
Chinatown), dark-colored slacks, and comfortable walking shoes. When you
arrive, you will be given a FREE, COMMEMORATIVE RED 'NEW YEAR'S' RAIN
PONCHO. Be prepared for rain, if necessary.

WHAT NOT TO BRING:
Do not bring purses, wallets valuables, or flashy jewelry (parades tend
to attract pick-pocketers). Be extra-careful of your cell phones and
cameras as well.

KEY 'SOUND BITE' MESSAGES:
Should a member of the local media/press approach you about this year's
float, be sure to mention that "This marks the first time that children
of gay and lesbian families and church groups have marched
together...It's a historic moment for the Chinese New
Year Parade." All interviews must be coordinated by either Robert
Bernardo or Wilson Fang.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
You will be walking about 15 city blocks, and the entire route will take
about 2 hours. Thousands of people will be cheering you on, some wanting
to take pictures with you (i.e. Last year, a tourist visiting from
Montana wanted several photos of me because he
had never seen a gay Asian before!).

JUDGING: For three years, we have been awarded "Best Community Float,"
and I'm certain that we will win again this year. Judges look for three
things: Overal audience appeal, Alignment of marchers (neatness counts,
spacing & uniformity), and Flashiness.

RULES & REGULATIONS: No materials may be distributed or handed out
during the parade, no alcoholic beverages allowed anywhere near the
float, and absolutely no flags or political signs allowed. However, you
may bring a banner for your organization.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:
Finally, I just want to say that if you have never marched in the
Chinese New Year Parade, you are in for a real treat--and a very
memorable night of fun,
empowerment, and friendship. It's an evening that you will always
remember fondly.

Also, a GREAT BIG thanks to my team that has worked tirelessly as well
as the numerous donors who helped fund the float construction.

***************************************

2. East Bay COLAGE Crew Pizza Party!!!!

Attention all East Bay COLAGE Crew participants!

The time has come for to reap your reward for all the amazing
fundraising you did for the Bowl-A-thon. (even if you didn’t participate
you are still invited to come and share in the rewards)

This Sunday is your pizza party!!!

When: Sunday 2/12 from 1-4pm

Where: The Pacific Center at 2712 Telegraph Ave in Berkeley.

Who: Anyone who is in 3rd through 5th grade and has one or more LGBT
parent. Come hang out, eat pizza, and play games with peers who have
families like yours. If the weather is nice we will be playing games out
side. If not all the fun will happen indoors with board games and
prizes. This is surely going to be one of the most fun meetings all
year!!!

Please RSVP to Ember at 415-861-5437 ext 103 or emb-@colage.org.

******************

3. San Mateo County Valentines Day Rally

Please join COLAGE and youth activist Marina Gatto at a youth-focused
press conference and rally on Valentines Day, Tuesday Feb. 14th at 9:00
a.m. in Redwood City, on the steps of the County Clerk's office in
Redwood City. Gatto, who will be leading other local LGBT families,
couples, and youth in this rally, will be supported by California
Assemblymember, Speaker Pro Tem, Dr. Leland Yee, who will stand
alongside Marina & her mothers in his support of marriage equality.
Assemblymember Yee a co-author of Assembly Bill 849, will make
statements on behalf of the right of all Americans to have equal access
to marriage .

After her mothers were legally married on Feb. 13, 2004 in San
Francisco, Gatto asked her county's board to both pass a resolution
against President Bush's Federal Marriage Ammendment, and to pass a
resolution in favor of Assemblymember Mark Leno's bill, A.B. 19 (changed
later to A.B.849). Both resolutions were passed, and this Valentines
Day, San Mateo County's leaders will stand up to welcome the Gatto
Family, and other LGBT couples, & families, by making public statements
showing their support of FULL marriage equality for every member of
their community. Member of the San Mateo County Board Of Supervisors
Rich Gordon, who is openly gay, will make a public statement, as will
San Mateo County Clerk Warren Slocum,and ex- San Mateo County Supervisor
Tom Nolan.

A large crowd of LGBT people, families, organizations, and supporters
are expected to show up on the steps of Redwood City's county clerk's
office, showing their support of San Mateo County's supportive stance
on full marriage equality and equal rights, Tuesday morning Feb. 14th at
8:45 a.m.

All COLAGErs are invited to speak at the press conference about their
family and why marriage equality matters to them as a child of the LGBT
community.

When Tues. Feb 14th
Where 555 County Center- directly across courtyard from big County Hall
of Justice
When 9:00
Why? Supporting marriage equality for ALL people

******************************
4. DCYF LGBT Family Community Hearing

Thursday Feb. 16 from 6-8pm – Tell the City Why LGBT Families and Youth
need Public Support at the DCYF Community Planning Meeting.

Let the City know why they need to fund LGBT family programs. We are
often invisible in public discussions about SF families. This is the
time to talk about what our needs are and why the city should support
us. DCYF—The San Francisco Department of Children, Youth and Their
Families—is hosting 19 community meetings over the next 2 months to get
a real understanding about how different communities want to spend
Children's Fund money - $33 Million - on children and youth programs
citywide and in their neighborhoods. An LGBT specific meeting is being
held on Feb. 16 from 6-8 at the SF LGBT Community Center.

Please come, share your ideas for what new or expanded programming our
community needs and support Our Family Coalition, COLAGE, LYRIC, the
LGBT Community Center KidSpace and youth programs, Mamas & Papas, and
other services for LGBT youth and families.

Free childcare and light dinner will be provided. Please R.S.V.P. if you
need childcare to 554-8967.

For more info : www. Dcyf.org

*******************************
5. YLAP Movie Party

Who: Anyone ages 14-22 who have one or more LGBT parent.

What: Youth Leadership and Action Program is a group for youth with
LGBT parents who want to learn about leadership and advocacy while
having fun with their peers. This meeting we will be taking care of some
business with the Theater project and then watching some shows with
queerspawn in them. Including: The OC, Popular, South Park, etc.

When: Sunday February 26th from 1-4pm

Where: LYRIC building at 127 Collingwood St. at 18th St in the Castro.

RSVP to Ember at 415-861-5437 ext 103 or emb-@colage.org

************************************
6. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!

COLAGE is thrilled to once again be a part of Provincetown Family Week
coming to Ptown, MA in Summer 2006. (July 29th- August 5th, 2006).
During this week, hundreds of LGBT families take over a town for
parties, family events, workshops, dances, beach time, and more. We are
looking for adult COLAGErs (Folks 18 and over who have one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent/s) to serve as
volunteer COLAGE staff for this fun and inspiring event.

Staff are expected to arrive in Provincetown, MA on Friday, July 28th
for staff orientation and training and to stay through Saturday, August
5th.

The COLAGE Family Week Staff team works together to provide social,
educational, and community building activities for youth ages 9 and up.
COLAGE activities will be offered for three groups of youth with LGBT
parents: Camp COLAGE for 3rd-5th graders, COLAGE Crew for Middle School
youth, and the COLAGE High School Program.

Who can apply? To be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Staff you must be
at least 18 years old; we are especially are looking for people who have
one or more LGBT parent(s), people of color and men to join our staff.

What does it mean to be on the Family Week Staff?
If you commit to serve as volunteer staff it means that Family Week
becomes more of a job (albeit a fun and exciting job) than a vacation.
We also do ask that our staff commit to being present for the entire
week starting with staff training on July 28th. In addition to the week
of the event itself, Family Week Staff will help with workshop and
activity planning beginning in May 2006 via email and 1 or 2 phone
conference calls in the month and a half prior to Family Week.

In return, you have the chance to affect the lives of youth with LGBT
parents by sharing your experiences, your enthusiasm, and your energy
with an amazing group of youth. You also have the unique opportunity to
connect with other adults with LGBT parents who are a part of the team.
There will be time to enjoy the queer friendly vacation atmosphere of
Ptown. And lots more!

Room, Board and Travel: COLAGE Volunteer Staff are given the option of
communal COLAGE housing- this summer we are renting two community houses
for our staff who live together and share community meals (At no cost to
Staff). You may also choose to stay with your family or friends on your
own. Staff volunteers are responsible for their own travel arrangements
to and from Family Week but we are happy to assist with travel stipends,
flight vouchers, carpools, etc when possible. COLAGE covers the cost of
housing (if you stay in the COLAGE Staff house) and meals for staff
during Family Week.

To apply:
We are looking for a diverse staff of 20+ adult COLAGErs for this
amazing opportunity. If you are interested, please return the attached
Volunteer Interest Form to Meredith Fenton, COLAGE Program Director at
mere-@colage.org by March 31st, 2006.

To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Meredith at
415-861-5437, ext. 102 or Mere-@colage.org.

*********************************

7. The Felicia Park-Rogers Summer Internship Program at COLAGE

Come work in the national headquarters of COLAGE this summer! COLAGE
engages, connects and empowers people to make the world a better place
for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender (LGBT)
parents and families.

The Felicia Park-Rogers Internship Program

The COLAGE Summer Internship Program is named for our visionary former
director Felicia Park-Rogers who started the summer internship program
during her leadership of COLAGE. We honor her commitment to people with
LGBT parents, creativity, energy and years of leadership through 10-week
internships that promote development of young leadership, allow
participants a hands-on look at the non-profit field, teach interns
about LGBT families issues, and promise to be a lot of fun!

COLAGE is the only national organization serving people with LGBT
parents, therefore presenting a unique perspective on LGBT issues, and
providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for interns. This is a
hands-on job: you won’t just be filing, you’ll get to use your
creativity and initiative. We are looking for team players who are
motivated to learn, share, play, and work hard in support of COLAGE's
mission. Interns will assist the staff on current or new projects, with
both local and national events, and with office management.

Preferred qualifications
·   Computer literate (especially on PC’s), knowledge ofOffice 2000,
FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.
·   Experience and comfort with email and phone-based organizing and
networking.
·   Experience and comfort working with youth and families
·   Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative
·   People with LGBT parent/s

Requirements
Summer interns receive a stipend for a ten-week, full time internship
including some evenings and weekends. We will help you find low-cost or
free housing when possible.
·   Must make at least a ten-week, full-time commitment during the
summer.
·   Must be 18 or over if not from the Bay Area, 15 or over from the Bay
Area.
·   Must be LGBT-positive

COLAGE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
·   People of color, people with disabilities, and people with LGBT
parents especially encouraged to apply.

How to Apply for Summer Internships
Deadline: Friday, April 7th 2006
Postmark by April 7th or fax by midnight on April 7th
Please mail, email, or fax us the following information:
1. Your resume;
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for
COLAGE and qualifications;
3. Contact information for two people who will serve as references and
can attest to your experience and skills.

Select applicants will be invited to participate in an interview during
April. Internships will be offered during May.

COLAGE also has fall/spring work-study internships; if you are
interested contact COLAGE for more information.

Need more info? Want to apply?
COLAGE, 3543 18th St, #1
SF CA 94110
phone: 415-861-5437    fax (415) 255-8345,
www.colage.org

8. Do you have extra housing to share with a COLAGE Intern?

Here is an easy way to make a difference in the lives of children, youth
and adults with LGBT parents.
Each summer, COLAGE hosts 1-3 young adults through our internship
program who hugely impact our ability to continue our programming and
services. Interns receive only a modest stipend for full-time work for
10 weeks.

If you have an extra room, guest room, or other room to rent for free or
cheap to a COLAGE Intern, please let us know! Most internships run from
early June- mid- August. Of course you will get to talk with selected
interns to make sure it’s a right match for your house. Perhaps you have
a college student, or a child who will be at camp- if you might have a
space in your home for a COLAGE intern please email Meredith Fenton,
COLAGE Program Director at mere-@colage.org to talk about the
possibilities.

Thanks so much in advance!

=====.=====================
Community Bulletin Board

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

9. Queer Youth Advocacy Day 2006 -- Here's how to get involved!

GSA Network, Equality California, and hundreds of youth activists will
converge in Sacramento at the capitol on March 6, 2006 for Queer Youth
Advocacy Day. Youth will talk to lawmakers about what it's really like
for LGBTQ students in schools and lobby for important legislation (AB
606) that will make it clearer what schools need to do to end harassment
and discrimination of LGBTQ students.
This event is free & open to all youth age 24 and under.

1. Take Action! The CA Assembly is expected to vote on AB 606 this month
before it passes to the state senate. But, your GSA doesn't have to wait
until March to start talking to lawmakers. Organize a letter-writing
party and mail your concerns directly to the office of your
Assemblymember. Writing a letter is a great way of making sure people
are listening. Share your stories and tell them what you need to feel
safer and more supported in your school.

To read about AB 606: http://www.gsanetwork.org/qyad

To find out who your Assemblymember is: http://www.assembly.ca.gov

To download an example of a support letter:
http://www.gsanetwork.org/qyad

2. Register for QYAD! You must register online in order to participate
in Queer Youth Advocacy Day. Signing up ensures that we know you're
coming and a space is held for you.

The deadline for registration is February 13.
To sign up: http://www.eqca.org/advocacyday

You can download the required permission slip at:
http://www.gsanetwork.org/qyad

3. Be a Leader! GSA Network is looking for 80 Advocacy Day Leaders to
step up and lead the way on March 6. After receiving a full-day
intensive training in Sacramento on Sunday, March 5, Advocacy Day
Leaders will help teach participants at Queer Youth Advocacy Day on
Monday, March 6th how to advocate for safe schools and lobby lawmakers.
Advocacy Day Leaders will facilitate youth participants during lobbying
visits with Assemblymembers and Senators. By being an Advocacy Day
Leader, you will help facilitate dialogues between elected officials and
youth. You will make sure young people's voices get heard!

Deadline for application is February 3. Everyone will be notified of the
final selection by February 8.

All Advocacy Day Leaders must attend the day-long training on March 5.
Arrangements will be made for Leaders who need assistance with travel
and housing in Sacramento.

To apply to become an Advocacy Day Leader:
http://www.gsanetwork.org/qyad
Or for more information please contact Lai-San @ 415-552-4229 or email
mailto:advo-@gsanetwork.org.

4. Become a QYAD Sponsor and Support Young Activists! If you are a local
organization or community group that wants to help ensure Queer Youth
Advocacy Day is open and accessible to as many youth as possible, please
consider becoming a sponsor for this event and help subsidize meals and
transportation for youth traveling to Sacramento on March 6.

To become a sponsor, please call Lai-San @ 415-552-4229 or email
mailto:advo-@gsanetwork.org. You can download the sponsorship letter
and form by visiting: http://www.gsanetwork.org/qyad.

*******************************
10. OFC Perspective Parent Panel

Am I Ready to be a Parent? A Workshop for Prospective Parents
Tuesday, February 21, 6:30 - 8pm
San Francisco

This workshop will cover resources to support your relationship through
the early challenging years as a parent and will give attendees a safe
space to talk about the pressures of parenthood. This workshop is geared
for prospective parents and new parents.

It's when we're most under pressure and stress that our subconscious
prejudices and assumptions come out - putting pressure on our
relationships and parenting. Whether it's differences with race, class,
parenting style or cultural assumption these differences shape our
perspectives on parenting.

You will hear firsthand from a panel of ³expert² LGBT parents about
their experiences and how they have learned to handle differences with
their partners and co-parents. You will also hear from single parents
about their experiences as queer single parents.

Free child care in the Center's fabulous KidSpace, RSVP to 415-865-5553.

Location: The SF LGBT Community Center at 1800 Market St. at Octavia.
Take MUNI JKLMN to Van Ness Station or above ground F Line to Octavia.
*******************************
11. ECE Initiative Conference

Saturday, February 25, 2006
The LGBT Early Childhood Education Initiative presents:
BREAKING BARRIERS~
BUILDING PATHWAYS:
Broadening Our Perspectives of Diversity
to Include LGBT Families and Their Children
• Keynote Speakers
• Workshops
• Panel Presentations
For Educators, Providers, Parents, Instructors and Friends
Saturday, February 25, 2006
The San Francisco LGBT Community Center
1800 Market Street, SF, CA 94102
Time: 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Pre-registration: $65
On-Site Registration: $75
Students: $35
For more information call 510.658.9197
or e-mail: band-@earthlink.net
Presented by the LGBT ECE Initiative
BANANAS, Inc., BANDTEC: A Network for Diversity Training, Cross Cultural
Family Centers, Pacific Primary,
Our Family Coalition, San Francisco Department of Human Services, City
College of San Francisco, and Parent’s Place
Funded by San Francisco Department of Children, Youth and Their
Families,
Evelyn and Walter Haas Jr. Fund and The Morris Family Foundation

********************************
12. Slide Ranch LGBT Family Day

LGBT For families with children of all ages
Saturday, March 4th $15 per-person pre-registered
10am-2pm $60 for families of 5 or more.

PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED

Under the guidance of our experienced teachers, you can bake bread, milk
a goat or collect eggs from our chickens. Share in the joys of
community as you explore our farm and trails with other families.
Everyone welcome! Cosponsored with COLAGE, Our Family Coalition and
Spectrum.

*Pack a lunch, water bottle, layered clothing and shoes that can get wet
and dirty!

Additional Information:
Slide Ranch is a non-profit farm-based environmental education center
perched on the continent's edge, just north of San Francisco. Every
bite of food connects us to the soil, sun, water and air, and to the
people who work to feed us. Our mission is to teach respect and
responsibility for sustaining these connections.

Call (415)381-6155 for reservations or visit www.slideranch.org for more
information.

*******************************
13. The Coro Exploring Leadership Program
*Application deadline is **Wednesday, March 1, 2006**.*

The Coro Exploring Leadership Program offers Bay Area young people
internships, leadership training, and real-world exposure to the
workplace, contemporary issues, and the inner mechanisms and leaders
shaping our democracy. In this summer/fall program (late-June to
mid-November), participants engage in five-week internships; build new
and stronger skills; interview public leaders; complete group and
individual community service projects; and connect with other youth
across differences in school, neighborhood, background, and belief.
Youth Fellows receive $1,000 for successfully completing the program.

Do you know current high school sophomores who want the opportunity to
change their lives and communities and who live or attend school in San
Francisco and the East Bay? No minimum GPA is required. We are
interested in students who demonstrate leadership potential,
perseverance, commitment, and desire.

To get an application or more information, please visit www.coro.org
<http://www.coro.org/> or contact Amy Chan at (415) 986-0521 x 105 or
_ac-@coro.org_.

*************************

14. LGBT Parent School Support Network
San Francisco
It is not too late to join this dynamic group of San Francisco LGBT
parents! Join us to learn about what parents can do to make their
schools friendlier towards LGBT families. These trainings will connect
you with practical resources and help you develop an action plan for
change at your child (ren)'s school. Parents will support each and keep
in communication between meetings by email. Join us for our next meeting
on:

Saturday, March 4
3:00 - 5:30pm
3rd Meeting of the LGBT Parent School Support Network

Free child care in the Center's fabulous KidSpace, RSVP to 415-865-5553.

Location: The SF LGBT Community Center at 1800 Market St. at Octavia.
Take MUNI JKLMN to Van Ness Station or above ground F Line to Octavia

********************************
15. Jon C. Cook Scholarship Announced

The San Francisco Police Officers Pride Alliance is proud to announce
this years application period for the officer Jon C. Cook Scholarship.
This scholarship was named after Officer Jon C. Cook the first openly
Gay officer to be killed in the line of duty in San Francisco. This
scholarship is open to the following individuals:

Students in their senior year of High School with a minumum 3.0 Grade
point average.

Students must be either:

An LGBT Youth
The Child of an LGBT Parent
The Child of a San Francisco Police Officer (Active or Retired)

This year we plan on distributing over $5000.00 in Scholarships, and are
looking forward to helping students in all of our catagories.

An application can be downloaded from our website at
www.sfpopridealliance.org it is available in either adobe acrobat or
Microsoft Word form. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you.

===================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE Bay Area Net News!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, Horizons Foundation, Open Society
Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco Children and Families
Commission, San Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families,
Castro Lions, ACLU, Providian Financial and all our members.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership contribution today. Join
COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html