Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
Thursday, February 23th, 2006  emb-@colage.org
 Feb 23, 2006 16:25 PST

COLAGE Bay Area Net News
Thursday, February 23th, 2006
========================

In this edition of Bay Area Net News:

COLAGE Announcements:
1. Chinese New Year Parade TOTAL SUCCESS!
2. ECE Initiative Conference- Marina Gatto Keynote Speaker
3. YLAP Movie Party
4. Slide Ranch LGBT Family Day
5. San Francisco Middle School Group Ally Party!
6. Queer Youth Advocacy Day Ė COLAGErís YOUR VOICE NEEDS TO BE HEARD!!
7. East Bay COLAGE Crew March Meeting
8. San Francisco COLAGE Crew March Meeting
9. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!
10. The Felicia Park-Rogers Summer Internship Program at COLAGE
11. Do you have extra housing to share with a COLAGE Intern?

Community Bulletin Board and News:
12. The Coro Exploring Leadership Program
13. LGBT Parent School Support Network
14. Jon C. Cook Scholarship Announced

====================
1. Chinese New Year Parade TOTAL SUCCESS!

This year the San Francisco COLAGE Crew marched with many other LGBT
groups in the Chinese New Year Parade. Thank you all who helped make
this an amazing event. We had 204 marchers (our goal was 200). We were
covered by the following media outlets: SF Chronicle, KCBS radio, KQED,
KTVU-2, SF Bay Times, Bay Area Reporter, and the international press
service. ***NOTE: This parade is the MOST watched Asian parade outside
of the Asian continent--with nearly one million viewers worldwide!

**********************************
2. ECE Initiative Conference- Marina Gatto Keynote Speaker

Saturday, February 25, 2006
The LGBT Early Childhood Education Initiative presents:
BREAKING BARRIERS~BUILDING PATHWAYS:
Broadening Our Perspectives of Diversity to Include LGBT Families and
Their Children
ē Keynote Speakers
ē Workshops
ē Panel Presentations
For Educators, Providers, Parents, Instructors and Friends
Saturday, February 25, 2006
The San Francisco LGBT Community Center
1800 Market Street, SF, CA 94102
Time: 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Pre-registration: $65
On-Site Registration: $75
Students: $35
For more information call 510.658.9197 or e-mail: band-@earthlink.net
Presented by the LGBT ECE Initiative BANANAS, Inc., BANDTEC: A Network
for Diversity Training, Cross Cultural Family Centers, Pacific Primary,
Our Family Coalition, San Francisco Department of Human Services, City
College of San Francisco, and Parentís Place Funded by San Francisco
Department of Children, Youth and Their Families, Evelyn and Walter Haas
Jr. Fund and The Morris Family Foundation

************************************

3. YLAP Movie Party

Who: Anyone ages 14-22 who have one or more LGBT parent.

What: Youth Leadership and Action Program is a group for youth with
LGBT parents who want to learn about leadership and advocacy while
having fun with their peers. This meeting we will be taking care of some
business with the Theater project and then watching some shows with
queerspawn in them. Including: The OC, Popular, South Park, etc.

When: Sunday February 26th from 1-4pm

Where: LYRIC building at 127 Collingwood St. at 18th St in the Castro.

RSVP to Ember at 415-861-5437 ext 103 or emb-@colage.org

***************************************
4. Slide Ranch LGBT Family Day

LGBT For families with children of all ages
Saturday, March 4th $15 per-person pre-registered
10am-2pm $60 for families of 5 or more.

PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED

Under the guidance of our experienced teachers, you can bake bread, milk
a goat or collect eggs from our chickens. Share in the joys of
community as you explore our farm and trails with other families.
Everyone welcome! Cosponsored with COLAGE, Our Family Coalition and
Spectrum.

*Pack a lunch, water bottle, layered clothing and shoes that can get wet
and dirty!

Additional Information:
Slide Ranch is a non-profit farm-based environmental education center
perched on the continent's edge, just north of San Francisco. Every
bite of food connects us to the soil, sun, water and air, and to the
people who work to feed us. Our mission is to teach respect and
responsibility for sustaining these connections.

Call (415)381-6155 for reservations or visit www.slideranch.org for more
information.

Co-Sponsored By COLAGE

5. San Francisco Middle School Group Ally Party!

Are you in middle school and have one or more LGBT Parent? Do you have a
friend or peer who is or could be and ally to you and your family? Do
you like to party?

Donít miss the one, the only, ALLY PARTY!!!

This months middle school meeting will be about us and our allies. Bring
a friend or donít but come and hang out and have fun. We will be playing
games, listening to music, and talking about how friends can become
allies and how allies become friends.

When: Sunday March 5th from 1-4 pm

Where: LYRIC Building, 127 Collingwood St (at 18th St) in the Castro.

RSVP to Ember at 415-861-5437 ext 103 or emb-@colage.org

******************
6. Queer Youth Advocacy Day Ė COLAGErís YOUR VOICE NEEDS TO BE HEARD!!

GSA Network, Equality California, COLAGE, and hundreds of youth
activists will converge in Sacramento at the capitol on March 6, 2006
for Queer Youth Advocacy Day. Youth will talk to lawmakers about what
it's really like for LGBTQ students in schools and lobby for important
legislation (AB 606) that will make it clearer what schools need to do
to end harassment and discrimination of LGBTQ students.
This event is free & open to all youth age 24 and under.

-Take Action! The CA Assembly is expected to vote on AB 606 this month
before it passes to the state senate. But, your GSA doesn't have to wait
until March to start talking to lawmakers. Organize a letter-writing
party and mail your concerns directly to the office of your
Assemblymember. Writing a letter is a great way of making sure people
are listening. Share your stories and tell them what you need to feel
safer and more supported in your school.

To read about AB 606: http://www.gsanetwork.org/qyad

To find out who your Assemblymember is: http://www.assembly.ca.gov

To download an example of a support letter:
http://www.gsanetwork.org/qyad

- Register for QYAD! You must register online in order to participate in
Queer Youth Advocacy Day. Signing up ensures that we know you're coming
and a space is held for you.

To sign up: http://www.eqca.org/advocacyday

You can download the required permission slip at:
http://www.gsanetwork.org/qyad

If you are interested in participating please contact Ember at
415-861-5437 ext 103 or email at emb-@colage.org .

***************************************

7. East Bay COLAGE Crew March Meeting

Save the Date for the March meeting of the East Bay COLAGE Crew

WE had an awesome Pizza Party in February so donít miss out on whatís
coming up.

When: Sunday, March 12th from 1-4pm

Where: Pacific Center, 2712 Telegraph Ave. Berkeley

RSVP to Ember at 415-861-5437 ext 103 or emb-@colage.org

******************************

8. San Francisco COLAGE Crew March Meeting

Save the Date for the March meeting of the San Francisco COLAGE Crew

When: Tuesday, March 14th from 6:30- 8pm

Where: Pacific Center, 2712 Telegraph Ave. Berkeley

RSVP to Ember at 415-861-5437 ext 103 or emb-@colage.org.

************************************

9. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!

COLAGE is thrilled to once again be a part of Provincetown Family Week
coming to Ptown, MA in Summer 2006. (July 29th- August 5th, 2006).
During this week, hundreds of LGBT families take over a town for
parties, family events, workshops, dances, beach time, and more. We are
looking for adult COLAGErs (Folks 18 and over who have one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent/s) to serve as
volunteer COLAGE staff for this fun and inspiring event.

Staff are expected to arrive in Provincetown, MA on Friday, July 28th
for staff orientation and training and to stay through Saturday, August
5th.

The COLAGE Family Week Staff team works together to provide social,
educational, and community building activities for youth ages 9 and up.
COLAGE activities will be offered for three groups of youth with LGBT
parents: Camp COLAGE for 3rd-5th graders, COLAGE Crew for Middle School
youth, and the COLAGE High School Program.

Who can apply? To be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Staff you must be
at least 18 years old; we are especially are looking for people who have
one or more LGBT parent(s), people of color and men to join our staff.

What does it mean to be on the Family Week Staff?
If you commit to serve as volunteer staff it means that Family Week
becomes more of a job (albeit a fun and exciting job) than a vacation.
We also do ask that our staff commit to being present for the entire
week starting with staff training on July 28th. In addition to the week
of the event itself, Family Week Staff will help with workshop and
activity planning beginning in May 2006 via email and 1 or 2 phone
conference calls in the month and a half prior to Family Week.

In return, you have the chance to affect the lives of youth with LGBT
parents by sharing your experiences, your enthusiasm, and your energy
with an amazing group of youth. You also have the unique opportunity to
connect with other adults with LGBT parents who are a part of the team.
There will be time to enjoy the queer friendly vacation atmosphere of
Ptown. And lots more!

Room, Board and Travel: COLAGE Volunteer Staff are given the option of
communal COLAGE housing- this summer we are renting two community houses
for our staff who live together and share community meals (At no cost to
Staff). You may also choose to stay with your family or friends on your
own. Staff volunteers are responsible for their own travel arrangements
to and from Family Week but we are happy to assist with travel stipends,
flight vouchers, carpools, etc when possible. COLAGE covers the cost of
housing (if you stay in the COLAGE Staff house) and meals for staff
during Family Week.

To apply:
We are looking for a diverse staff of 20+ adult COLAGErs for this
amazing opportunity. If you are interested, please return the attached
Volunteer Interest Form to Meredith Fenton, COLAGE Program Director at
mere-@colage.org by March 31st, 2006.

To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Meredith at
415-861-5437, ext. 102 or Mere-@colage.org.

*********************************

10. The Felicia Park-Rogers Summer Internship Program at COLAGE

Come work in the national headquarters of COLAGE this summer! COLAGE
engages, connects and empowers people to make the world a better place
for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender (LGBT)
parents and families.

The Felicia Park-Rogers Internship Program

The COLAGE Summer Internship Program is named for our visionary former
director Felicia Park-Rogers who started the summer internship program
during her leadership of COLAGE. We honor her commitment to people with
LGBT parents, creativity, energy and years of leadership through 10-week
internships that promote development of young leadership, allow
participants a hands-on look at the non-profit field, teach interns
about LGBT families issues, and promise to be a lot of fun!

COLAGE is the only national organization serving people with LGBT
parents, therefore presenting a unique perspective on LGBT issues, and
providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for interns. This is a
hands-on job: you wonít just be filing, youíll get to use your
creativity and initiative. We are looking for team players who are
motivated to learn, share, play, and work hard in support of COLAGE's
mission. Interns will assist the staff on current or new projects, with
both local and national events, and with office management.

Preferred qualifications
∑   Computer literate (especially on PCís), knowledge of Office 2000,
FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.
∑   Experience and comfort with email and phone-based organizing and
networking.
∑   Experience and comfort working with youth and families
∑   Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative
∑   People with LGBT parent/s

Requirements
Summer interns receive a stipend for a ten-week, full time internship
including some evenings and weekends. We will help you find low-cost or
free housing when possible.
∑   Must make at least a ten-week, full-time commitment during the
summer.
∑   Must be 18 or over if not from the Bay Area, 15 or over from the Bay
Area.
∑   Must be LGBT-positive

COLAGE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
∑   People of color, people with disabilities, and people with LGBT
parents especially encouraged to apply.

How to Apply for Summer Internships
Deadline: Friday, April 7th 2006
Postmark by April 7th or fax by midnight on April 7th
Please mail, email, or fax us the following information:
1. Your resume;
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for
COLAGE and qualifications;
3. Contact information for two people who will serve as references and
can attest to your experience and skills.

Select applicants will be invited to participate in an interview during
April. Internships will be offered during May.

COLAGE also has fall/spring work-study internships; if you are
interested contact COLAGE for more information.

Need more info? Want to apply?
COLAGE, 3543 18th St, #1
SF CA 94110
phone: 415-861-5437    fax (415) 255-8345,
www.colage.org

11. Do you have extra housing to share with a COLAGE Intern?

Here is an easy way to make a difference in the lives of children, youth
and adults with LGBT parents.
Each summer, COLAGE hosts 1-3 young adults through our internship
program who hugely impact our ability to continue our programming and
services. Interns receive only a modest stipend for full-time work for
10 weeks.

If you have an extra room, guest room, or other room to rent for free or
cheap to a COLAGE Intern, please let us know! Most internships run from
early June- mid- August. Of course you will get to talk with selected
interns to make sure itís a right match for your house. Perhaps you have
a college student, or a child who will be at camp- if you might have a
space in your home for a COLAGE intern please email Meredith Fenton,
COLAGE Program Director at mere-@colage.org to talk about the
possibilities.

Thanks so much in advance!

=====.=====================
Community Bulletin Board

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

12. The Coro Exploring Leadership Program
*Application deadline is **Wednesday, March 1, 2006**.*

The Coro Exploring Leadership Program offers Bay Area young people
internships, leadership training, and real-world exposure to the
workplace, contemporary issues, and the inner mechanisms and leaders
shaping our democracy. In this summer/fall program (late-June to
mid-November), participants engage in five-week internships; build new
and stronger skills; interview public leaders; complete group and
individual community service projects; and connect with other youth
across differences in school, neighborhood, background, and belief.
Youth Fellows receive $1,000 for successfully completing the program.

Do you know current high school sophomores who want the opportunity to
change their lives and communities and who live or attend school in San
Francisco and the East Bay? No minimum GPA is required. We are
interested in students who demonstrate leadership potential,
perseverance, commitment, and desire.

To get an application or more information, please visit www.coro.org
<http://www.coro.org/> or contact Amy Chan at (415) 986-0521 x 105 or
_ac-@coro.org_.

*************************

13. LGBT Parent School Support Network
San Francisco
It is not too late to join this dynamic group of San Francisco LGBT
parents! Join us to learn about what parents can do to make their
schools friendlier towards LGBT families. These trainings will connect
you with practical resources and help you develop an action plan for
change at your child (ren)'s school. Parents will support each and keep
in communication between meetings by email. Join us for our next meeting
on:

Saturday, March 4
3:00 - 5:30pm
3rd Meeting of the LGBT Parent School Support Network

Free child care in the Center's fabulous KidSpace, RSVP to 415-865-5553.

Location: The SF LGBT Community Center at 1800 Market St. at Octavia.
Take MUNI JKLMN to Van Ness Station or above ground F Line to Octavia

********************************
14. Jon C. Cook Scholarship Announced

The San Francisco Police Officers Pride Alliance is proud to announce
this years application period for the officer Jon C. Cook Scholarship.
This scholarship was named after Officer Jon C. Cook the first openly
Gay officer to be killed in the line of duty in San Francisco. This
scholarship is open to the following individuals:

Students in their senior year of High School with a minumum 3.0 Grade
point average.

Students must be either:

An LGBT Youth
The Child of an LGBT Parent
The Child of a San Francisco Police Officer (Active or Retired)

This year we plan on distributing over $5000.00 in Scholarships, and are
looking forward to helping students in all of our catagories.

An application can be downloaded from our website at
www.sfpopridealliance.org it is available in either adobe acrobat or
Microsoft Word form. Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you.

===================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE Bay Area Net News!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, Horizons Foundation, Open Society
Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco Children and Families
Commission, San Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families,
Castro Lions, ACLU, Providian Financial and all our members.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership contribution today. Join
COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html