Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
Wednesday April 12th, 2006  emb-@colage.org
 Apr 13, 2006 10:45 PDT

COLAGE Bay Area Net News
Wednesday April 12th, 2006
========================

In this edition of Bay Area Net News:

COLAGE Announcements:
1. ACT UP ACT OUT WORKSHOP SERIES
2. East Bay Middle School Group Meeting
3. Middle School Group Mountain Biking Trip
4. SF COLAGE Crew Meeting
5. East Bay COLAGE Crew
6. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!
7. The Felicia Park-Rogers Summer Internship Program at COLAGE
8. Do you have extra housing to share with a COLAGE Intern?

Community Bulletin Board and News:
9. LGBT Early Childhood Education Initiative: Parent Leadership Training

====================
1. ACT UP ACT OUT; Activism Through Theater Workshop Series

COLAGE YLAP and Fringe Benefits brings you ACT UP ACT OUT; a workshop
series for teens with queer parents and their allies. Help create a play
that will be used to make change in schools. No theater experience is
necessary.

$$ Teens who participate are eligible for a stipend! $$

Dates and Times:
Thursday, April 20th from 5:30 to 9pm
Saturday, April 22nd from 2 to 5:30pm
Sunday, April 23rd from 2 to 5:30pm
Thursday, April 27th from 5:30 to 9pm
Saturday, April 29th from 2 to 5:30pm

Place: Womenís Building Audre Lorde Room, 3543 18th St (between Guerrero
St and Valencia St), San Francisco

If you are a parent and/or a teacher and would like to participate
contact Ember to find out how you can participate.

To register visit http://www.colage.org/bayarea/actupactout.html
For more information contact Ember at 415-861-5437 ext. 103 or
emb-@colage.org.

************************************
2. East Bay Middle School Group Meeting CANCELED

This months meeting has been canceled but donít miss out on the Middle
School Mountain Biking Trip. See below for all the details.

************************************
3. Middle School Group Mountain Biking Trip

For all bay area Middle School groups. Trips for Kids (in Marin) will be
taking us on a mountain biking trip. This will be the 3rd year in a row
that we have done this amazing event. Reserve your space now!

Save the Date: Sunday May 7th

To reserve a spot or for more information, contact Ember at 415-861-5437
ext. 103 or emb-@colage.org.

*************************************
4. SF COLAGE Crew Meeting

Who: Youth in 3rd-5th grades with one or more LGB and/or T parent.

When: Tuesday May 9th from 6:30-8pm

Where: LGBT Community Center 1800 Market St. San Francisco

To rsvp or for more information, contact Ember at 415-861-5437 ext. 103
or emb-@colage.org.

*************************************
5. East Bay COLAGE Crew

Who: Youth in 3rd-5th grades with one or more LGB and/or T parent.

When: Sunday May 14th from 1-4pm.

Where: The Pacific Center 2712 Telegraph Ave. Berkeley

To rsvp or for more information, contact Ember at 415-861-5437 ext. 103
or emb-@colage.org.

*************************************
6. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!

COLAGE is thrilled to once again be a part of Provincetown Family Week
coming to Ptown, MA in Summer 2006. (July 29th- August 5th, 2006).
During this week, hundreds of LGBT families take over a town for
parties, family events, workshops, dances, beach time, and more. We are
looking for adult COLAGErs (Folks 18 and over who have one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent/s) to serve as
volunteer COLAGE staff for this fun and inspiring event.

Staff are expected to arrive in Provincetown, MA on Friday, July 28th
for staff orientation and training and to stay through Saturday, August
5th.

The COLAGE Family Week Staff team works together to provide social,
educational, and community building activities for youth ages 9 and up.
COLAGE activities will be offered for three groups of youth with LGBT
parents: Camp COLAGE for 3rd-5th graders, COLAGE Crew for Middle School
youth, and the COLAGE High School Program.

Who can apply? To be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Staff you must be
at least 18 years old; we are especially are looking for people who have
one or more LGBT parent(s), people of color and men to join our staff.

What does it mean to be on the Family Week Staff?
If you commit to serve as volunteer staff it means that Family Week
becomes more of a job (albeit a fun and exciting job) than a vacation.
We also do ask that our staff commit to being present for the entire
week starting with staff training on July 28th. In addition to the week
of the event itself, Family Week Staff will help with workshop and
activity planning beginning in May 2006 via email and 1 or 2 phone
conference calls in the month and a half prior to Family Week.

In return, you have the chance to affect the lives of youth with LGBT
parents by sharing your experiences, your enthusiasm, and your energy
with an amazing group of youth. You also have the unique opportunity to
connect with other adults with LGBT parents who are a part of the team.
There will be time to enjoy the queer friendly vacation atmosphere of
Ptown. And lots more!

Room, Board and Travel: COLAGE Volunteer Staff are given the option of
communal COLAGE housing- this summer we are renting two community houses
for our staff who live together and share community meals (At no cost to
Staff). You may also choose to stay with your family or friends on your
own. Staff volunteers are responsible for their own travel arrangements
to and from Family Week but we are happy to assist with travel stipends,
flight vouchers, carpools, etc when possible. COLAGE covers the cost of
housing (if you stay in the COLAGE Staff house) and meals for staff
during Family Week.

To apply:
We are looking for a diverse staff of 20+ adult COLAGErs for this
amazing opportunity. If you are interested, please return the attached
Volunteer Interest Form to Meredith Fenton, COLAGE Program Director at
mere-@colage.org by March 31st, 2006.

To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Meredith at
415-861-5437, ext. 102 or Mere-@colage.org.

*********************************

7. The Felicia Park-Rogers Summer Internship Program at COLAGE

Come work in the national headquarters of COLAGE this summer! COLAGE
engages, connects and empowers people to make the world a better place
for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender (LGBT)
parents and families.

The Felicia Park-Rogers Internship Program

The COLAGE Summer Internship Program is named for our visionary former
director Felicia Park-Rogers who started the summer internship program
during her leadership of COLAGE. We honor her commitment to people with
LGBT parents, creativity, energy and years of leadership through 10-week
internships that promote development of young leadership, allow
participants a hands-on look at the non-profit field, teach interns
about LGBT families issues, and promise to be a lot of fun!

COLAGE is the only national organization serving people with LGBT
parents, therefore presenting a unique perspective on LGBT issues, and
providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for interns. This is a
hands-on job: you wonít just be filing, youíll get to use your
creativity and initiative. We are looking for team players who are
motivated to learn, share, play, and work hard in support of COLAGE's
mission. Interns will assist the staff on current or new projects, with
both local and national events, and with office management.

Preferred qualifications
∑   Computer literate (especially on PCís), knowledge of Office 2000,
FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.
∑   Experience and comfort with email and phone-based organizing and
networking.
∑   Experience and comfort working with youth and families
∑   Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative
∑   People with LGBT parent/s

Requirements
Summer interns receive a stipend for a ten-week, full time internship
including some evenings and weekends. We will help you find low-cost or
free housing when possible.
∑   Must make at least a ten-week, full-time commitment during the
summer.
∑   Must be 18 or over if not from the Bay Area, 15 or over from the Bay
Area.
∑   Must be LGBT-positive

COLAGE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
∑   People of color, people with disabilities, and people with LGBT
parents especially encouraged to apply.

How to Apply for Summer Internships
Deadline: Friday, April 7th 2006
Postmark by April 7th or fax by midnight on April 7th
Please mail, email, or fax us the following information:
1. Your resume;
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for
COLAGE and qualifications;
3. Contact information for two people who will serve as references and
can attest to your experience and skills.

Select applicants will be invited to participate in an interview during
April. Internships will be offered during May.

COLAGE also has fall/spring work-study internships; if you are
interested contact COLAGE for more information.

Need more info? Want to apply?
COLAGE, 3543 18th St, #1
SF CA 94110
phone: 415-861-5437    fax (415) 255-8345,
www.colage.org

8. Do you have extra housing to share with a COLAGE Intern?

Here is an easy way to make a difference in the lives of children, youth
and adults with LGBT parents.
Each summer, COLAGE hosts 1-3 young adults through our internship
program who hugely impact our ability to continue our programming and
services. Interns receive only a modest stipend for full-time work for
10 weeks.

If you have an extra room, guest room, or other room to rent for free or
cheap to a COLAGE Intern, please let us know! Most internships run from
early June- mid- August. Of course you will get to talk with selected
interns to make sure itís a right match for your house. Perhaps you have
a college student, or a child who will be at camp- if you might have a
space in your home for a COLAGE intern please email Meredith Fenton,
COLAGE Program Director at mere-@colage.org to talk about the
possibilities.

Thanks so much in advance!

=====.=====================
Community Bulletin Board

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
9. LGBT Early Childhood Education Initiative: Parent Leadership Training
Saturday, April 29, 1pm 5pm
San Francisco
Educators usually mean well, but could often do more to create a
welcoming and supportive environment for LGBT and other non-traditional
families. Wondering what you can do as a parent?

The LGBT Early Childhood Education Initiative is holding a training for
parents! Become part of an exciting movement of LGBT families!
Participate in a training that will prepare you to:

Advocate on behalf of your child and other Bay Area children; Become
part of a parent speakers' bureau that will speak to parents and
educators; and Impact your school's curriculum, available books,
policies, and staff support of LGBT families!

Location: The San Francisco LGBT Center is located at 1800 Market Street
in San Francisco. Free child care and lunch will be provided.

RSVP to Aimee at Our Family Coalition at 415-981-1960..

===================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE Bay Area Net News!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, Horizons Foundation, Open Society
Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco Children and Families
Commission, San Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families,
Castro Lions, ACLU, Providian Financial and all our members.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership contribution today. Join
COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html