Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
Tuesday June 13, 2006  emb-@colage.org
 Jun 13, 2006 15:57 PDT

COLAGE Bay Area Net News
Tuesday June 13, 2006
========================

In this edition of Bay Area Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. COLAGE MOVED!
2. Participate in the COLAGE Support Our Community Campaign

COLAGE Group Meeting and Events:
3. COLAGE YLAP WORLD PREMIER OF MYTHSMASHERS
4. TRANS MARCH and Transgenerations
5. PRIDE PARADE AND FAMILY GARDEN
6. COLAGE co-sponsors Raising Teens Documentary Screening
7. COLAGE & Our Family Coalition Co-Sponsor Frameline Films
8. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!

Community Bulletin Board and News:
9. Our Family Coalition Membership and Outreach Coordinator Position
10. Queer Tactics: A Night of Queer Shorts with the National
11. 2006 Legal update for same sex couples and families

===================================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. COLAGE MOVED!

Please update your records, as COLAGE moved into a bigger and better
office space! As of May 5th the COLAGE National Headquarters will be at:

COLAGE
1550 Bryant Street, Suite 830
San Francisco, CA 94103

Our email, phone and website addresses will remain the same.

*****************

2. Support Our Community! Become a campaigner, Strengthen COLAGE's
Numbers

COLAGE has launched the 2nd Annual Support Our
Community Campaign. A dozen people have already stepped up to lead the
way as campaigners for this important fund drive, but we will need at
least 40 volunteers if we are to meet our goal of raising $10,000 to
support COLAGE. Last year the first Support Our Community Campaign
celebrated COLAGE's 15th anniversary. This year, our theme is "Strength

in Numbers." The campaign will run from Mothers' Day to Fathers' Day
(May 14th - June 18th, 2006).

Why is the theme Strength in Numbers?

There are between 8 and 14 million youth and adults with one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender parents in the United States.

We live in every state and more than 95% of U.S. counties.

Yet, 39 states deny us any legal relationship to our parents. 5 states
prohibit our parents from adopting us. Only a small handful of states
protect us from harassment and discrimination in schools.

To combat these and many other injustices we and our families face,
COLAGE needs your help! In order to change the face of family and
family values, we need to Strengthen OUR Numbers.

We would like to invite you to become a campaigner for the 2nd Annual
Support Our Community Campaign. In order to reach our goal of raising
$10,000 to support COLAGE's work, we need 40 campaigners to raise $250
each. Will you be one of the forty leaders who help us reach our goal?

There are lots of ways you can reach your $250 goal! And of course, if
you want to set your goal higher, please do! Some of you may know two
people who can each give $125. But if not, maybe you know 16 people who

can give $15.

This year, COLAGE will once again have the ability to help you campaign
online. You can easily personalize a website, write a note about why
you support COLAGE (or how COLAGE has supported you) and plug in the
email addresses of everyone you want to ask. Click send and you're well

on the way to meeting your goal!

If you don't want to campaign online, no worries! COLAGE can send you
information and materials to help you campaign with a letter or over the

phone.

Interested in becoming a campaigner? Send an email to jca-@colage.org
and include your:

Name(s):
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Preferred Email:
Preferred Phone:

As soon as we hear from you, we'll send a package to help you get
started on the campaign.

Thank you so much for your support and consideration, and thanks in
advance to all of this year's campaigners!

Have questions? Need more information? Call 415-861-5437 or email
jca-@colage.org

=====================================
COLAGE Group Meetings and Events:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

3. COLAGE YLAP WORLD PREMIER OF MYTHSMASHERS

Thursday, June 15 7:00-9:00pm
Location: Brava Theater at 2781 24th Street in San Francisco.

The members of the COLAGE Youth Leadership and Action Program (YLAP) are
thrilled to invite you to a special event celebrating the premiere of a
new play MYTHSMASHERS. Created by YLAP and Fringe Benefits, this play
will be used in middle schools to bust some common myths and stereotypes
about youth with LGB and/or T parents. There will be a silent auction,
refreshments and enough fun for the entire family. $10-$15 donation
requested at the door.

For more information or to RSVP contact Ember at emb-@colage.org or at
415-861-5437 ext 103.

************************************
4. TRANS MARCH and Transgenerations

Friday, June 23 12ish - 5ish
Location: Dolores Park at 18 and Dolores Street in San Francisco.

Come hang out and march with COLAGE Transgenerations at the Trans March.
We will have fun activities in the park and be marching with our friends
and family.

For more information or to RSVP contact Ember at emb-@colage.org or at
415-861-5437 ext 103.

**************************************
5. PRIDE PARADE AND FAMILY GARDEN

Sunday, June 25 10:30am Ė all day!

Join Our Family Coalition & COLAGE (Children of Lesbians & Gays
Everywhere) to march in the San Francisco Pride Parade! Bring snacks,
water and other goodies to keep the kiddies occupied. Visit
www.ourfamily.org for updates.

OFC and COLAGE are especially proud to announce the ď3rd Annual Family
GardenĒ, sponsored by Kaiser Permanente, located at the south playground
at the corner of Larkin and Grove streets. Last year the playground was
overflowing with families. Parents can meet other LGBT parents, rest
while the children play and receive information about OFC and COLAGE at
our booth that will be located in the Family Garden. information about
OFC and COLAGE at our booth that will be located in the Family Garden.

Volunteers Needed!!! Contact Ember at 415-861-5437 ext 103 or
emb-@colage.org. Lets make this the best Pride ever!!!

**************************************
6. COLAGE co-sponsors Raising Teens Documentary Screening

What will happen when Cooper speaks with his biological father for the
first
time? How will it affect the dynamics of his family?

Cooper has two mothers, Martina and Tanya, who have been together
twenty-five years. Now, because of a contract drawn up by the sperm bank
19 years ago, Cooper can make contact with his sperm donor father. Who
is he? How are they alike? What would life have been like with a father
around?

Raising Teens is a Logo Real Momemtum Original Production.Executive
Produced by: Samantha Kurtzman-Counter, Leisha Hailey and Lara Spotts.

Also has been aired as part of the MTV True Life series.

WHEN:   Wednesday, June 21, 2006
       6:30 PM Doors open, reception
       7:00 PM Screening (1 hour film)
       8:00 PM Guest speaker: Cooper, one of the teens

WHERE: Ellen Driscoll Auditorium
       Frank Havens School
       325 Highland Avenue
       Piedmont, Ca 94611

COST: FREE!

For more info and directions
www.piedmont.k12.ca.us

**************************************
7. COLAGE & Our Family Coalition Co-Sponsor Frameline Films

THE MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH
Sunday, June 18 10:30am
Free for ages 12 and under.
Castro Theatre at 429 Castro in San Francisco.
Itís a family affair at Frameline30ís special screening of a beloved
childrenís classic. Come early for yummy snacks provided by Rainbow
Grocery and surprise giveaways while supplies last!

MOMíS APPLE PIE / QUEER SPAWN
Sunday, June 18 1:15pm
Roxie Film Center at 3117 16th Street (at Valencia Street) in San
Francisco.

Wednesday, June 21 1:15pm
Castro Theatre at 429 Castro in San Francisco.

Momís Apple Pie is an essential herstory about lesbian custody battles
in the í70s and the birth of the lesbian rights movement; in Queer
Spawn, kids from queer households attend the annual Family Week in
Provincetown.

BEYOND CONCEPTION
June 24 11am
Roxie Film Center at 3117 16th Street (at Valencia Street) in San
Francisco.

For more information contact Ember at emb-@colage.org or at
415-861-5437 ext 103.

8. Be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Volunteer Staff Team!

COLAGE is thrilled to once again be a part of Provincetown Family Week
coming to Ptown, MA in Summer 2006. (July 29th- August 5th, 2006).
During this week, hundreds of LGBT families take over a town for
parties, family events, workshops, dances, beach time, and more. We are
looking for adult COLAGErs (Folks 18 and over who have one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent/s) to serve as
volunteer COLAGE staff for this fun and inspiring event.

Staff are expected to arrive in Provincetown, MA on Friday, July 28th
for staff orientation and training and to stay through Saturday, August
5th.

The COLAGE Family Week Staff team works together to provide social,
educational, and community building activities for youth ages 9 and up.
COLAGE activities will be offered for three groups of youth with LGBT
parents: Camp COLAGE for 3rd-5th graders, COLAGE Crew for Middle School
youth, and the COLAGE High School Program.

Who can apply? To be a part of the COLAGE Family Week Staff you must be
at least 18 years old; we are especially are looking for people who have
one or more LGBT parent(s), people of color and men to join our staff.

What does it mean to be on the Family Week Staff?
If you commit to serve as volunteer staff it means that Family Week
becomes more of a job (albeit a fun and exciting job) than a vacation.
We also do ask that our staff commit to being present for the entire
week starting with staff training on July 28th. In addition to the week
of the event itself, Family Week Staff will help with workshop and
activity planning beginning in May 2006 via email and 1 or 2 phone
conference calls in the month and a half prior to Family Week.

In return, you have the chance to affect the lives of youth with LGBT
parents by sharing your experiences, your enthusiasm, and your energy
with an amazing group of youth. You also have the unique opportunity to
connect with other adults with LGBT parents who are a part of the team.
There will be time to enjoy the queer friendly vacation atmosphere of
Ptown. And lots more!

Room, Board and Travel: COLAGE Volunteer Staff are given the option of
communal COLAGE housing- this summer we are renting two community houses
for our staff who live together and share community meals (At no cost to
Staff). You may also choose to stay with your family or friends on your
own. Staff volunteers are responsible for their own travel arrangements
to and from Family Week but we are happy to assist with travel stipends,
flight vouchers, carpools, etc when possible. COLAGE covers the cost of
housing (if you stay in the COLAGE Staff house) and meals for staff
during Family Week.

To apply:
We are looking for a diverse staff of 20+ adult COLAGErs for this
amazing opportunity. If you are interested, please return the attached
Volunteer Interest Form to Meredith Fenton, COLAGE Program Director at
mere-@colage.org by March 31st, 2006.

To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Meredith at
415-861-5437, ext. 102 or Mere-@colage.org.

==========================
Community Bulletin Board

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
9.Our Family Coalition Membership and Outreach Coordinator position
Our Family Coalition promotes the civil rights and well being of Bay
Area lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) families with
children and prospective parents through education, advocacy, social
networking, and grassroots community organizing. Our Family Coalition
is one of the largest LGBT family organizations in the nation, with over
600 member families. Established in 1994 as a group for LGBT parents
with infants, Our Family Coalition (OFC) has grown into an organization
respected throughout the San Francisco Bay Area for its ability to
create a fun and welcoming community for LGBT families, and to be an
active advocate for the equality of LGBT families. (See
www.ourfamily.org for more information.)
OFC currently provides a variety of programming: educational, social,
individual advocacy and working toward social change. OFC is entering
an exciting period of development and are looking for someone to partner
with us to help bring OFC into a new era. The Outreach and Membership
Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director and Program
Director in supporting all of our program areas.

Responsibilities:
∑        Coordinate OFCís outreach activities to LGBT families in the
Bay Area through email, phone, mail and direct contact;
∑        Respond to member inquiries;
∑        Maintain membership database;
∑        Conduct educational, social and advocacy events and activities;
∑        Supervise volunteers;
∑        Generate and send bi-weekly email newsletters to members and
supporters and partner with staff to produce the quarterly print
newsletter;
∑        Build and maintain partnerships with organizations made up of
and/or serving LGBT people;
∑        Work with organizations and community institutions in diverse
communities to help build programmatic and membership bridges between
them and OFC;
∑        Work as a part of a small but dedicated (and fun) staff to
develop OFCís programs that are responsive to our membersí diverse
needs;
∑        Attend and participate in staff meetings; and
∑        Assist with fundraising proposals and reports as needed.

Qualifications:
∑        2-3 years experience in community outreach and/or organizing,
either professionally or as a part of your own community;
∑        Ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds;
∑        Integrity and professional discretion;
∑        Quick learner with initiative;
∑        Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
∑        Familiarity with LGBT issues; and
∑        Creative and strategic thinker who is interested in sharing
their ideas.
∑        Ability to speak a second language (in addition to English)
desired.
∑        Graphic design and layout skills a plus.
This position is a full-time position with health benefits.

Please email cover letter and resume to verl-@ourfamily.org by June
12, 2006.

Our Family Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage
applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities,
members of the LGBT community, or other minority groups. OFC does not
discriminate in its employment practices or policies on the basis of
race, color, creed, ethnic or national origin or ancestry, age, gender,
religious beliefs, sexual orientation, veteran status or disability.

Verlena Johnson
Membership and Outreach Coordinator
Our Family Coalition
870 Market Street, Suite 872
San Francisco, CA 94702
p - (415) 981-1960
f - (415) 981-1962
www.ourfamily.org

*********************

10. Queer Tactics: A Night of Queer Shorts with the National

Queer Arts Festival (NQAF)
When: Tuesday, June 6, 2006, doors at 7pm screening at 7:30pm
Where: SF's LGBT Center, 1800 Market Street at Octavia, www.sfcenter.org
Tickets: $7-15 sliding scale--NO ONE TURNED AWAY
Available online at www.queerculturalcenter.org
Info: for more info on the films, 415-206-9392, for the NQAF
Festival: 415-864-4124
$100 audience award to the winning filmmaker, All Ages. Q&A to follow!
Contains nudity.

The Films:

War! Who needs it? As Queers we can be more subversive and change the
system. Queer Tactics examines the visualization power of the queer
community
for social activism and protest through a series of short film works.
Supporting the festival's theme of "Hope and Healing in Times of War" we
provide Queer Tactics.

No longer limited to the "Coming Out Story" queer filmmaking now
includes all genres and narrative types, Queer Tactics, A Night of Queer
Shorts at the National Queer Arts Festival demonstrates this still
emerging art- form through films ranging from the comedic drag queen
reality TV show, "Pretty Things" by Michael Lucid, to the youth-made,
youth-inspired documentary, "In My Shoes: Stories of Youth with LGBT
Parents" by award-winning filmmaker and BAVC employee, Jen Gilomen.
Every festival needs a bit of spice, and Chris Vargas' "The Drive" heats
up the night by blending nature with passion and not
in the ways you thought; the ever prolific, San Francisco queer
filmmaker, Justin Kelly, jolts us with a music video from San Francisco
punk darlings, Veronica Lipgloss & the Evil Eyes' "Strip Mall Glass" and
"Debris", while Philipe Lonestar makes us squeal and squeam with
Portland Electronic HipHop dyke darlings', Scream Club's "Acnecore". Old
school Super 8 mm film was used to make the delightful puppet film:
"Sigmund Freud: Professional Pyschoanalyst" by Kami Chilsolm & Jen
Gilomen, all our favorite childhood homos are present,Ernie from Bert &
Ernie, G.I. Joe and of course Barbie!

Holding true to our passion for politics and queerness and "Hope in the
Times of War", we have Sally Rubin's "Body Politics" a beautiful
portrait of a day when thousands got naked for peace near the Golden
Gate Bridge. Dara Sklar & Pam Dore, reveal just how passionate woman and
girls can be when it's that time of the month, in "Day One, A Period
Piece". Finally, no queer short festival would be complete without a
voice to the powers of owning our bodies, and building, bodies that
matter, in our quest for Queer Tactics: rounding out the night, in this
regard, is Luke Woodward's powerful piece about an amazing, upcoming
Filipino FTM hip hop artist, Jacub Perez in "Rock the Boat".

****************************
11. 2006 Legal update for same sex couples and families

2006 LEGAL UPDATE FOR SAME SEX COUPLES & FAMILIES: ADOPTION, PARENTAGE,
PROPERTY and ESTATE PLANNING ISSUES FOR LGBT CALIFORNIANS

Wednesday, June 14 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Location: BANANAS at 5232 Claremont Avenue in Oakland, enter from back
of building at second floor. Limited, free, on-site child care.

Join BANANAS, Our Family Coalition and attorneys Deborah Wald
(www.waldlaw.net) and Alma Soongi Beck (www.becklawgroup.com) for a
workshop that will cover LGBT adoption, donor insemination, surrogacy
and co-parenting issues; plus property and estate planning for LGBT
families. Discussion will include the impact of AB 205 and the recent
California Supreme Court decisions on our families. Please RSVP to Our
Family Coalition at aim-@ourfamily.org or 415-981-1960.

===================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE Bay Area Net News!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, Horizons Foundation, Open Society
Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco Children and Families
Commission, San Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families,
Castro Lions, ACLU, Providian Financial and all our members.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership contribution today. Join
COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html