Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
COLAGE Bay Area Net News, Thursday August 17, 2006  emb-@colage.org
 Aug 17, 2006 17:47 PDT

COLAGE Bay Area Net News
Thursday August 17, 2006
========================

In this edition of Bay Area Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. Ember Cook, Program Coordinator, On Temporary Leave

COLAGE Group Meeting and Events:
2. Sistahs Steppin' in Pride – East Bay Dyke March & Festival
3. End of Summer Picnic- For All Bay Area COLAGEr’s!!!!
4. Be a COLAGE Bay Area Facilitator
5. SAVE THE DATE! 2006-2007 Bay Area Groups Start Soon!

Community Bulletin Board and News:
6. LGBT Family Weekend in Guerneville

===================================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Ember Cook, Program Coordinator, On Temporary Leave

Ember Cook will be on a temporary leave from August 28 starting again as
part time in the beginning of October. Stepping in for her will be
Kelly Densmore. Kelly Densmore has previously interned with COLAGE in
the summers of 2001 and 2003, she worked as COLAGE’s administrative
assistant this past winter and spring, she has participated as staff at
many Family Weeks and is very experienced in working with youth who have
one or more LGBT parent(s).

=====================================
COLAGE Group Meetings and Events:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Sistahs Steppin' in Pride – East Bay Dyke March & Festival

Saturday, August 26
1pm
Oakland
Join Sistahs Steppin' in Pride for a free afternoon of pride,
connection, entertainment, vendors, food, and fun! March participants
will gather at the Lake Merritt pillars at 11 a.m. and march at noon.
The free celebration continues from 1 to 6 p.m. in Snow Park's Sistah
Village. COLAGE and Our Family Pride will host a children’s area with a
jump tent, face painting and art activities!
Location: The celebration takes place at Snow Park on Harrison Street
between 19th & 20th Streets in Oakland. Plenty of street and lot
parking.

**************************************
3. Sizzling End of Summer Picnic

Saturday, September 23
11am-1pm
San Francisco
Golden Gate Park is the perfect location for our Sizzling End of Summer
Picnic and we have the 19th Avenue Park reserved!!! There is a large
grassy area, basketball court, nice little playground for small
children, with a slide, two sets of swings, and a sand pit. Bring sand
toys for young kids, a basketball for the older ones. For all you older
youth don’t worry we are gonna have games and activities that you won’t
want to miss. So bring the entire family and don’t forget your own
picnic food and blankets. Hope to see you there!
Location: 19th Avenue playground at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.
Between California and Lake Streets. Parking is generally available.

**************************************
4. SAVE THE DATE! 2006-2007 Bay Area Groups Start Soon!

The 2006-2007 school year is just around the corner and you don’t wanna
miss out on the amazing line up of COLAGE programming. Here are some
dates to save and more information will be on the way. Feel free to
contact Ember/Kelly at 415-861-5437 for more information. SEE YOU
THERE!!!

*San Francisco COLAGE Crew Kick Off
For youth entering 3-5th grade
Sunday, September 10th

*East Bay COLAGE Crew Kick Off
For youth entering 3-5th grade
Sunday, September 17th

*Youth Leadership in Action Program (YLAP)
For youth in High School
Sunday, September 24th

For more information about Bay Area programming, visit our website at
www.colage.org/bayarea or contact Ember Cook or Kelly Densmore at
415.861.5437 ex. 103

************************************
5. VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Be a Bay Area COLAGE Group Facilitator!

Its not too late to facilitate one of COLAGE’s amazing groups in the Bay
Area
Looking for COLAGE Group Facilitators for the 2006-2007 School Year!

Want to make a difference in the lives of youth with one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent? Want to volunteer just
a few hours a month and get to hang out with really cool kids?

Then be a COLAGE Bay Area Group Facilitator!

We are looking for folks to make a commitment as a facilitator for one
of our many exciting COLAGE Bay Area Groups. Most groups meet for 2-4
hours a month; being a facilitator also requires 2-3 hours of planning
and outreach per month. Most groups have two facilitators that work
together and split the duties. (Total Monthly Commitment 4-6 hours a
month)

Qualifications:
· Experience working with Youth and facilitating groups
· Must be at least 20 years old
· Current CPR and First Aid certification (COLAGE can help you get
certified)
· Adults who have/ had one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual, or
transgendered parent
· Be able to commit to a day long training in August and monthly
volunteer obligation from September 2006- June 2007
· Commitment to COLAGE's mission, vision and values
· People of color especially encouraged to apply

Responsibilities:
· Help plan and facilitate monthly meetings of youth with LGBT parents
(September 2006 – June 2007)
· Help conduct outreach efforts (phone calls, meetings, etc) with COLAGE
Staff to current and potential COLAGE participants
· Help with getting materials and snacks needed for meetings (COLAGE
will cover costs of both)
· Keep track of attendance records
· Stay in communication with COLAGE Staff and co-facilitators
· Help evaluate program

Compensation:
· Possible stipend for Facilitators in good standing (good standing
means meeting the above stated responsibilities)
· COLAGE can work with your school (university, college, etc.) to see if
you can receive credit for your participation as a Facilitator)
· COLAGE will be happy to write letters of recommendation or provide