Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
COLAGE BAY AREA NET NEWS, Sept. 1, 2006  emb-@colage.org
 Sep 01, 2006 17:37 PDT

COLAGE Bay Area Net News
Friday September 1, 2006
========================

In this edition of Bay Area Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. COLAGE Welcomes Kelly Densmore as our Interim Bay Area Program
Coordinator
2. Intern at COLAGE This Fall

COLAGE Group Meeting and Events:
3. End of Summer Picnic- For All Bay Area COLAGErís!!!!
4. Be a COLAGE Bay Area Facilitator
5. Act OUT: National LGBT Family Conference

SAVE THE DATES! 2006-2007 Bay Area Groups Start Soon!
6. San Francisco COLAGE Crew Kick Off
7.East Bay COLAGE Crew Kick Off
8.Youth Leadership And Action Progam (YLAP) Kick Off
9. San Francisco Middle School Kick Off

Community Bulletin Board and News:
10. Get Active California: Black LGBT Media Trainings Begin

===================================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. COLAGE Welcomes Kelly Densmore as our Interim Bay Area Program
Coordinator

COLAGE is blessed to once again enjoy the talents of Kelly Densmore who
will be serving as the Interim Bay Area Program Coordinator while Ember
Cook is out for foot surgery. Kelly has worked with COLAGE in a variety
of capacities including summer internships, as our temporary
administrative assistant, a coordinator of COLAGE San Jose and a member
of our Family Week staffs. Originally from Northern California, Kelly is
the daughter of a lesbian mom and a straight dad who graduated last year
from the University of Santa Cruz. Please direct any questions regarding
COLAGE Bay Area or words of welcome to Kel-@colage.org.

Ember Cook will return in early October.

=====================================
COLAGE Group Meetings and Events:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Intern at COLAGE This Fall

COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere) engages, connects and
empowers people to make the world a better place for children of
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender (LGBT) parents and families.
COLAGE is the only national organization serving people with LGBT
parents, therefore presenting a unique perspective on LGBT issues, and
providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for interns. This is a
hands-on job: you wonít just be filing, youíll get to use your
creativity and initiative. We are looking for team players who are
motivated to learn, share, play, and work hard in support of COLAGE's
mission. Interns will assist the staff on current or new projects, with
both local and national events, and with office management. Fall
internships can range from a full-time 10 week internship to a 20 week
half-time internship. We also offer internships for college credit.

Preferred qualifications
*Computer literate (especially on PCs), knowledge of Office 2000,
FileMaker Pro, HTML, and desktop publishing programs a plus.

*Experience and comfort with email and phone-based organizing and
networking.

*Experience and comfort working with youth and families

*Self-motivated, flexible, and full of initiative

* People with LGBT parent/s

Requirements
Fall interns receive a modest stipend for their internship including
some evenings and weekends.

*Must be 18 or over if not from the Bay Area, 15 or over from the Bay
Area.

*Must be LGBT-friendly

COLAGE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
*People of color, people with disabilities, and people with LGBT parents
especially encouraged to apply.

How to Apply
Please mail or email us the following information to mere-@colage.org
or COLAGE/ 1550 Bryant Street, Suite 830, San Francisco, CA 94103:
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter sharing your interest in working for COLAGE and
qualifications;
3. Contact information for two people who will serve as references and
can attest to your experience and skills.

Select applicants will be invited to participate in an interview.
Internships will begin in September or October in accordance with the
COLAGEís needs and internís availability.

COLAGE also has spring and summer work-study internships; if you are
interested contact us for more information.

Need more info? Want to apply?
COLAGE, www.colage.org
1550 Bryant St. Ste. 830
SF CA 94103
phone: 415-861-5437 fax (415) 255-8345

**************************************
3. Sizzling End of Summer Picnic
PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE OF DATE AND LOCATION

Saturday, September 30
11am-1pm
San Francisco
Dolores Park is the perfect location for our Sizzling End of Summer
Picnic!!! There is a large grassy area, nice little playgroud for small
children, with a slide and two sets of swings. Bring playground toys
for young kids and a soccer ball and/or frizbees for the older ones.
For all you older youth, donít worry we are gonna have games and
activities that you wonít want to miss. So bring the entire family and
donít forget your own picnic food and blankets. Hope to see you there!
Location: Dolores Park in San Francisco. Between 18th St and Dolores
St.. Parking is generally available.

**************************************

4. VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Be a Bay Area COLAGE Group Facilitator!

Its not too late to facilitate one of COLAGEís amazing groups in the Bay
Area
Looking for COLAGE Group Facilitators for the 2006-2007 School Year!

Want to make a difference in the lives of youth with one or more
lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender parent? Want to volunteer just
a few hours a month and get to hang out with really cool kids?

Then be a COLAGE Bay Area Group Facilitator!

We are looking for folks to make a commitment as a facilitator for one
of our many exciting COLAGE Bay Area Groups. Most groups meet for 2-4
hours a month; being a facilitator also requires 2-3 hours of planning
and outreach per month. Most groups have two facilitators that work
together and split the duties. (Total Monthly Commitment 4-6 hours a
month)

Qualifications:
∑ Experience working with Youth and facilitating groups
∑ Must be at least 20 years old
∑ Current CPR and First Aid certification (COLAGE can help you get
certified)
∑ Adults who have/ had one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual, or
transgendered parent
∑ Be able to commit to a day long training in August and monthly
volunteer obligation from September 2006- June 2007
∑ Commitment to COLAGE's mission, vision and values
∑ People of color especially encouraged to apply

Responsibilities:
∑ Help plan and facilitate monthly meetings of youth with LGBT parents
(September 2006 Ė June 2007)
∑ Help conduct outreach efforts (phone calls, meetings, etc) with COLAGE
Staff to current and potential COLAGE participants
∑ Help with getting materials and snacks needed for meetings (COLAGE
will cover costs of both)
∑ Keep track of attendance records
∑ Stay in communication with COLAGE Staff and co-facilitators
∑ Help evaluate program

Compensation:
∑ Possible stipend for Facilitators in good standing (good standing
means meeting the above stated responsibilities)
∑ COLAGE can work with your school (university, college, etc.) to see if
you can receive credit for your participation as a Facilitator)
∑ COLAGE will be happy to write letters of recommendation or provide
references.

Bay Area Groups:
∑ COLAGE CREW (East Bay and San Francisco)
Our monthly group for youth in 3rd-5th grades. Activities include game
days, movie night, art projects, mountain biking, ice-skating and more.
∑ COLAGE Middle School Group (East Bay and San Francisco)
Our monthly group for 6th-8th graders continues to provide a safe and
fun environment for youth with LGBT parents. Activities include field
trips, sports clinics, art projects, workshops, movie days, discussions,
and more.
∑ COLAGE YLAP Ė Youth Leadership and Action Program (San Francisco)
YLAP is a program for all bay area youth ages 14-20 with LGBT parents
and offers participants a chance to gain skills in activism, media,
public speaking, program development, and more. YLAP includes monthly
meetings, special events and trainings, volunteer activities, and lots
of fun.
∑ COLAGE Adult (East Bay and San Francisco)
Hang out with other adults who have one or more LGBT parent. We do
brunch, potlucks, BBQ's, movie nights, etc.

If you are interested in serving as a COLAGE Group Facilitator, please
fill out the following information and send it with a resume to Kelly
Densmore, COLAGE Interim Bay Area Program Coordinator at
emb-@colage.org, or

Kelly Densmore c/o COLAGE
1550 Bryant St. Suite 830
San Francisco, CA 94103

Please send all applications and resumes by August 11th, 2006. Also feel
free to get in touch with any questions about our Bay Area Groups and
our Facilitator positions.

***Don't have time to be a Facilitator but want to help out? Contact
Ember to find out about other volunteer opportunities. ***

Application to be a COLAGE Group Facilitator:

Name:
Birth date:
Phone (the best way to reach you during the day):
Address:
Email Address:

1. Why are you interested in being a COLAGE Group Facilitator?
2. How do you meet preferred qualifications?
3. What experience(s), both personally and professionally, do you have
that would contribute to your ability to be a COLAGE Group Facilitator?
4. What ideas for activities, discussions or events do you have for a
COLAGE group?
5. Names/Phone/Email for 2 individuals who would serve as a reference
for your work, preferably ones who can speak to your experiences with
youth

***********************************

5. Act OUT: The National LGBT Family Conference- Donít miss the event
of the year~

Do/did you have at least one lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender
parent?

Have you always wanted to find a community of people with one or more
LGBT parents?
Do you want to meet MORE people with LGBT parents?

AND are you ready for a weekend of activism, education, empowerment, and
community celebration?

Are you ready to ACT OUT!?

Then letís make it HAPPEN at ACT OUT: The National LGBT Family
Conference 2006!

ACT OUT is brought to you by COLAGE and FAMILY PRIDE.
www.colage.org          www.familypride.org

COLAGE, (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere), is a national
organization whose mission is to engage, connect, and empower people to
make the world a better place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and/or transgender parents and families. COLAGE is the only national
organization in the world specifically supporting children, youth and
adults with LGBT parent(s). Using our experiences and creativity, COLAGE
offers a diverse array of support, education and advocacy by and for
folks with LGBT parents.

No matter how politically active or outspoken you have or havenít been
in the past about the issues that face youth and adults with LGBT
parents ACT OUT promises to offer you workshops, keynote events, panels,
and an invaluable space for community and coalition building in a
conference oriented environment.

ACT OUT is not just for the little ones.

If you are a teen, a young adults, or an adult then ACT OUT is for YOU
and the COLAGE Leadership track is where YOU need to be!

The COLAGE LEADERSHIP TRACK is:

A series of workshops for teens, young adults, and adults with LGBT
parents. These workshops will focus on how WE, as leaders and activists,
can develop our critical social analysis. This development will allow
us to further educate and incite social change in our communities, in
our schools, in the media, in policy, and in politics about the issues
that people with LGBT parents face. This programming will also highlight
the role adults with LGBT parents can play in social justice and LGBT
organizing as community leaders by voicing their experiences and family
backgrounds with new and old friends.

SAVE THE DATE!! Friday October 27th through Sunday the 29th 2006

Where: THE FAIRMONT HOTEL in DALLAS, TEXAS

REGISTER TODAY at www.familypride.org
Registrations are strongly encouraged no later than September 25th!

And ACT OUT with us!

This will be one of the most transformative social justice gatherings
this year! Hundreds will attend and space is limited.

Ask your school, your college, your academic department, your
organization, or your place of employment to sponsor you. Or contact us
about scholarship information!

Itís time So GET ON IT! And GET involved in the movement for family
equality!
Register today at www.familypride.org

For more info contact COLAGE! - 415.861-KIDS (5437) ÔÉó
col-@colage.org ÔÉó 1550 Bryant St. San Francisco, CA. 94103

**************************************
SAVE THE DATE! 2006-2007 Bay Area Groups Start Soon!

The 2006-2007 school year is just around the corner and you donít wanna
miss out on the amazing line up of COLAGE programming. Here are some
dates to save and more information will be on the way. Feel free to
contact Kelly at 415-861-5437 ex 103 for more information. SEE YOU
THERE!!!

**************************************
6. *San Francisco COLAGE Crew Kick Off
For youth entering 3-5th grade
Sunday, September 10th, 1-4pm
Location: LYRIC. 127 Collingwood St. @ 18th St, San Francisco, CA 94114
**************************************
7. *East Bay COLAGE Crew Kick Off
For youth entering 3-5th grade
Sunday, September 17th, 1-4pm
Location: The Pacific Center, 2712 Telegraph Ave. @ Derby St, Berkeley,
CA 94705

**************************************
8. *Youth Leadership in Action Program (YLAP)
For youth in High School
Sunday, September 24th, 1-4pm
Location: LYRIC. 127 Collingwood St. @ 18th St, San Francisco, CA 94114

**************************************
9. *SF Middle School Group Kick Off
For youth entering 6-8th grade
Sunday, October 1st, 1-4pm
Location: LYRIC. 127 Collingwood St. @ 18th St, San Francisco, CA 94114

For more information about Bay Area programming, visit our website at
www.colage.org/bayarea or contact Kelly Densmore at 415.861.5437 ex. 103

==========================
Community Bulletin Board

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
10. Get Active California: Black LGBT Media Training Begin
Upcoming California Media Trainings
Starting this Wednesday in Los Angeles at 7pm

The NBJC (http://ga4.org/ct/Lp1EZbS1Gm6F/) is partnering with GLAAD
(http://ga4.org/ct/L71EZbS1Gm6G/) in order to conduct a series of
nationwide Black LGBT media trainings. These trainings will be conducted
in every corridor of the country and will provide coaching and other
types of training to every day Black LGBT non-activists and
gay-affirming clergy alike. The focus of the trainings is to teach
individuals on how to tell their own stories and their personal truths
through the media as it relates to the intersection of being both
African American and LGBT.

These informative, interactive, and friendly trainings will also explore
very specific Black LGBT issues and the individual strategies used in
forming a media message around them. In addition, the trainings will
provide a vast array of information concerning important tips, dos and
doníts in responding to print, television, radio, and online news media
outlets concerning LGBT issues.

Speak Your Own TruthóTell Your Own Story

The NBJC-GLAAD Black LGBT media trainings are free to the general
public.

San Francisco/Oakland:
Saturday, September 30th from 11am-1:30pm?
Location: The Museum of African Diaspora (MOAD),
685 Mission Street (at Third)
San Francisco, California 94105

Additional cities are being scheduled. For more information contact
heda-@nbjc.org or contact Herndon Davis at 202-349-3755.

===================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE Bay Area Net News!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, Horizons Foundation, Open Society
Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco Children and Families
Commission, San Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families,
Castro Lions, ACLU, Providian Financial and all our members.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership contribution today. Join
COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html