Welcome Guest!
 BA COLAGE NetNws
Monday, October 16th, 2006  emb-@colage.org
 Oct 16, 2006 17:39 PDT

COLAGE Bay Area Net News
Monday, October 16th, 2006
========================

In this edition of Bay Area Net News:

COLAGE Updates & Announcements:
1. Ember Cook, Program Coordinator, Returns from Temporary Leave

COLAGE Group Meetings and Events:
2. Act OUT: National LGBT Family Conference
3. Youth Leadership and Action Program **Oct. 22nd, 1-4pm**
4. Monster Mash Halloween Party ** Oct. 28th, 11-1pm**
5. San Francisco Middle School Event **Nov. 5th, 1-4pm**
6. San Francisco COLAGE Crew **Nov 12th, 1-4pm**
7. East Bay Middle School **Nov 12th, 1-4pm**
8. East Bay COLAGE Crew **Nov 19th, 1-4pm**

Community Bulletin Board and News:
9. School Forum in the East Bay **Oct. 25, 5:30-8:30**
10. SF Elementary School Fair for LGBT Parents
11. Support Group for Native LGBT Community Members

===================================
COLAGE Updates & Announcements
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

**************************************
1.Ember Cook, Program Coordinator, Returns from Temporary Leave

COLAGEís wonderful Program Coordinator has returned to the office!!!
Ember Cook was on temporary leave beginning September 25th, due to a
foot surgery. She is healing well and is back in the COLAGE office, and
is rockiní the Bay Area programs!

**************************************

2. Act OUT: The National LGBT Family Conference- Donít miss the event of
the year~

Do/did you have at least one lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender
parent?

Have you always wanted to find a community of people with one or more
LGBT parents?
Do you want to meet MORE people with LGBT parents?

AND are you ready for a weekend of activism, education, empowerment, and
community celebration?

Are you ready to ACT OUT!?

Then letís make it HAPPEN at ACT OUT: The National LGBT Family
Conference 2006!

ACT OUT is brought to you by COLAGE and FAMILY PRIDE.
www.colage.org          www.familypride.org

COLAGE, (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere), is a national
organization whose mission is to engage, connect, and empower people to
make the world a better place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual,
and/or transgender parents and families. COLAGE is the only national
organization in the world specifically supporting children, youth and
adults with LGBT parent(s). Using our experiences and creativity, COLAGE
offers a diverse array of support, education and advocacy by and for
folks with LGBT parents.

No matter how politically active or outspoken you have or havenít been
in the past about the issues that face youth and adults with LGBT
parents ACT OUT promises to offer you workshops, keynote events, panels,
and an invaluable space for community and coalition building in a
conference oriented environment.

ACT OUT is not just for the little ones.

If you are a teen, a young adults, or an adult then ACT OUT is for YOU
and the COLAGE Leadership track is where YOU need to be!

The COLAGE LEADERSHIP TRACK is:

A series of workshops for teens, young adults, and adults with LGBT
parents. These workshops will focus on how WE, as leaders and activists,
can develop our critical social analysis. This development will allow
us to further educate and incite social change in our communities, in
our schools, in the media, in policy, and in politics about the issues
that people with LGBT parents face. This programming will also highlight
the role adults with LGBT parents can play in social justice and LGBT
organizing as community leaders by voicing their experiences and family
backgrounds with new and old friends.

SAVE THE DATE!! Friday October 27th through Sunday the 29th 2006

Where: THE FAIRMONT HOTEL in DALLAS, TEXAS

REGISTER TODAY at www.familypride.org

And ACT OUT with us!

This will be one of the most transformative social justice gatherings
this year! Hundreds will attend and space is limited.

Ask your school, your college, your academic department, your
organization, or your place of employment to sponsor you. Or contact us
about scholarship information!

Itís time So GET ON IT! And GET involved in the movement for family
equality!
Register today at www.familypride.org

For more info contact COLAGE! - 415.861-KIDS (5437) ó
col-@colage.org ó 1550 Bryant St. San Francisco, CA. 94103

**************************************

The 2006-2007 school year begun and you donít want to miss out on the
amazing line up of COLAGE programming. Feel free to contact Ember at
415-861-5437 ex 103 for more information. SEE YOU THERE!!!

**************************************
3. Youth Leadership and Action Program
Join us for our second meeting!
For youth ages 14-20 years old
Sunday October 22nd, 1-4pm
Location: LYRIC 127 Collingwood St. @ 18th St, San Francisco, CA 94114

**************************************
4. Monster Mash Halloween Party Potluck Oct. 28th, 11am-1pm

Bring your ghosts and goblins to a Halloween Bash in San Francisco.
Bring a dish to share and costumes to dazzle the eye. The SF LGBT
Ceremonial Room will be transformed into a creepy Halloween experience.

Enjoy face painting, an eyeball relay, ring around the pumpkin, and many
other fun games for the family.

Come in Costume! Co-sponsored by the LGBT Family Collaborative.
Volunteers needed to staff activity stations! Call Ember at 415-861-5437
ex 103 for additional information.

Location: The SF LGBT Community Center at 1800 Market St. at Octavia in
San Francisco. Take MUNI JKLMN to Van Ness Station or above ground F
Line to Octavia.
**************************************

5. San Francisco Middle School
Join us for our second meeting!
Sunday, November 5th, 1-4pm
Location: LYRIC 127 Collingwood St @18th St, San Francisco, CA 94114

**************************************

6. San Francisco COLAGE Crew
Donít miss out on the games and fun!
Sunday, November 12th, 1-4pm
Location: LYRIC 127 Collingwood St @18th St, San Francisco, CA 94114

**************************************

7. East Bay Middle School
Come experience the greatness that is COLAGE Middle School NOW in the
East Bay at our Kick Off meeting.
Sunday, November 12th, 1-4pm
Location: The Pacific Center, 2712 Telegraph Ave, Berkeley, CA 94705

**************************************

8. East Bay COLAGE Crew
Our fastest growing group is having itís third meeting and you donít
want to miss it!
Sunday, November 19th, 1-4pm
Location: The Pacific Center, 2712 Telegraph Ave, Berkeley, CA 94705

**************************************

==========================
Community Bulletin Board

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

**************************************
9. School Forum in the East Bay

Oct. 25th , 5:30-8:30pm
James Irvine Conference Center
353 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland

Our Family Coalition and the East Bay Community Foundation are pleased
to invite you to the East Bay Elementary School Forum: Creating
Inclusive Environments for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender
Families. We believe all children deserve the very best in education,
without regard to family composition. Research consistently
demonstrates the importance of diversity education and school
experiences in the formation of self-identity and self-esteem in young
children. We, like you, are committed to helping children of gay,
lesbian, bisexual or transgender parents experience safe and healthy
school environments, and helping all children learn to accept
difference.

This forum is designed to give school administrators, teachers, and
parents an introduction to some of the innovative and groundbreaking
strategies to creating inclusive and welcoming environments for lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents and their children. The
number of LGBT families in the East Bay is on the rise, and this forum
offers a unique opportunity for schools and parents to engage in a safe
dialogue and create partnerships around this increasingly important
work. Participants will also be able to browse informational tables that
provide information about the seven East Bay school districts chosen to
participate in this forum, and other related resources. Invited
districts and parents include: Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, Emeryville,
San Leandro, Piedmont, and Alameda

The East Bay Elementary School Forum will take place at the James Irvine
Conference Center located at 353 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza in Oakland on
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm. A light dinner
will take place at 5:30pm and the program will start promptly at 5:50pm.
Free child care will be available on site, with art programming
provided by the Museum of Childrenís Art (MOCHA).

Please RSVP by phone by calling Aimee at 415-981-1960. If you require
child care, please indicate when you RSVP.   We encourage you to promote
this event to families at your school/district. If you would like
copies of the flyer or electronic promotional materials, or have
questions about participation please contact Aimee at 415-981-1960.

Our Family Coalition and the East Bay Community Foundation look forward
to your participation in what promises to be an informative and valuable
community event.

**************************************
10. SF Elementary School Fair for LGBT Parents
Saturday, Nov. 4, 10am-1:30pm
SF Elementary School Fair for LGBT Parents
Advocating for Our Kids: Helping Primary Schools Welcome LGBT Families
With Three Forums for LGBT Parents and tabling by San Francisco Public &
Private Primary Schools!
Opening Speakers: School Board Members Dr. Dan Kelly and Mr. Mark
Sanchez
10-11am Choosing & Evaluating Schools
11am-12pm Parent Activism: Being an Advocate for Family Diversity
12-12:30pm Information Session and Mixer on Bi-Monthly Support Group
for Parents in SF Elementary Schools
12-1:30pm Tabling by San Francisco Public & Private Primary Schools!
Free! Light snacks provided! Free Child Care! To RSVP for child care
please call Kevin at 415-981-1960.
Location: The SF LGBT Community Center at 1800 Market St. at Octavia.
**************************************
11. Support Group for Native LGBT Community Members
Hello Everyone:

This is Nazbah. I'm starting a support group for Native LGBT Community
Members at the Native American Health Center in San Francisco starting
October 20, from 3:30 to 4:30 pm on Fridays for 10 weeks.

Please pass this flyer along to community members who you think might
benefit from this open, semi-structured, and culturally sensitive group
for men, women, transgendered, and questioning Natives.

I will be running the group, so any questions can be passed on to me at
415/621-4371, ext. 594, or glto-@yahoo.com.

Thank you for passing along this information. This might end up becoming
an on-going group at NAHC in San Francisco.

Best-

Nazbah Tom
Drama Therapist Intern
Native American Health Center
Family & Child Guidance Clinic
415/621-4371, ext. 594

===================================
Thank you for subscribing to COLAGE Bay Area Net News!

COLAGE thrives on the involvement and support of all its members and
funders. We acknowledge the generous support of the Gill Foundation,
Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund, Horizons Foundation, Open Society
Institute, San Francisco Foundation, San Francisco Children and Families
Commission, San Francisco Department of Children, Youth, and Families,
Castro Lions, ACLU, Providian Financial and all our members.

COLAGE engages, connects, and supports people to make the world a better
place for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender parents.
Ensure COLAGE's future with your membership contribution today. Join
COLAGE at: http://www.colage.org/join.html