Welcome Guest!
 PickyKids
Getting My kids to eat healthy foods....  Cindy Newell
 Feb 19, 2003 07:18 PST
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Hi Everyone,</P>
<P>    I joined this group several weeks ago and noticed there wasn't much activity - I'm glad to see Connie's posting.</P>
<P>    I'm a single mom of an 8, 9 and 11 year old.  I'm constantly struggling with the 'food thing'.  I'm trying to get my kids to eat more healthy and find it is an uphill battle which I feel like I'm losing more than winning!  There's just so much junk food easily and readily available these days!  </P>
<P>   I bring very little 'junk food' into the house - sometimes you just have to have it though...for example, we celebrated my son's birthday on Saturday - I couldn't imagine not having cake and ice cream for this party!  I only offered the kids cut up fruit and veggies - they barely touched it but did gobble up the cake and ice cream!!</P>
<P>   Recently, I've started my kids taking Juice Plus (a capsule which contains 17 whole, vine ripened fruits and vegetables with the water, sugar and salt removed).  This eases my mind about whether or not they get enough servings of fruits and vegetables on  a daily basis but meanwhile I want to reduce their intake of the high-fat high-sugar foods.  So, any ideas in that area is greatly appreciated!  (I buy low-fat and non-fat whenever possible.  I don't like the sugar substitutes as I feel that I would be adding a potentially harmful chemical to their growing bodies)</P>
<P>   At this time, for snacks, I try to limit my offering to one of the following:  yogurt (drinkable, gogert or Trix), pretzels, fresh fruit such as apples, bananas, oranges, etc.  but only my daughters really eat these, cheese-its, cheese n crackers, Quaker rice cakes, and applesauce.</P>
<P>   If you know of a healthy snack that a picky eater might TRY (and this presents another question:  how do you get your kids to just TRY new food?  I've only found that one of my kid's friends eatting the food in front of my child can get him/her to try whatever it is!).....anyhow, any other healthy snack ideas would be appreciated....please excuse the lengthiness of this posting....</P>
<P>  Cindy<BR><BR></P><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>