Welcome Guest!
 PickyKids
Re: Getting My kids to eat healthy foods....  Lisa Nutbrown
 Feb 19, 2003 08:28 PST

------=_NextPart_000_1e47_1206_640c

<P><BR>Hi Cindy!</P>
<P>Wow....  your kids will eat applesauce?  LOL</P>
<P>I found some good recipes on <A href="http://www.familyfun.com">www.familyfun.com</A>.  I think they were under "Feeding your picky eater" or something like that.  I made the zucchini cookies, and both of my kids really liked them.  They taste like zucchini bread.  I'm going to try making the muffins next -- there's squash in them.  I don't like squash myself, so hopefully they're good.</P>
<P>I have also made another discovery:  soy milk.  Not the "it's supposed to taste like milk" kind, but in flavours, like tripleberry, orange sherbet, and orange-strawberry-mango.  Both of my kids really like them, and I bet they would make good popsicles in the summer.  It's not exactly inexpensive (I paid $3.99 for 2 litres), but considering how much food I end up throwing out because they won't eat it, it's worth the cost.  I've also bought soy hotdogs, soy bologna and flavoured tofu that has the consistency of mousse.  So far, nobody has noticed the difference.  I'm so glad I can put some nutrition into them without them noticing!  LOL</P>
<P>Try not to feel too badly.  Yes, it drives me nuts too, but hopefully the pickiness won't last forever.  I can accept the boys eating cereal for dinner.  There are worse things they could be having.   I try not to make too much of an issue of it, because I don't want to make it worse.  My younger son (4 1/2 years) is pretty adventurous with trying new food, but my older one (7 1/2) is not.  His school lunches consist of juice, pretzels, cheese strings, yogurt tubes, crackers, carrots and cookies.  At least I know he's getting calcium and one vegetable.</P>
<P>Good luck, and look for websites for cooking for picky kids.  There seems to be a pretty good number of them.  </P>
<P>Lisa.</P>
<P><BR> </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial Black, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif"><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">Visit </FONT><A href="http://www.animalaide.org/">www.animalaide.org</A> <FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">to</FONT> </FONT><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif">make a donation, take a quiz, print colouring pages for the kids, or view the dogs and cats who need a loving home!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: Cindy Newell <GOLDFA-@HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: Cookin4P-@topica.com
<DIV></DIV>>To: Cookin4P-@topica.com
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Getting My kids to eat healthy foods....
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:18:35 +0000
<DIV></DIV>>

------=_NextPart_000_1e47_1206_640c

To: Cookin4P-@topica.com
From: Cindy Newell <goldfa-@hotmail.com>
Subject: Getting My kids to eat healthy foods....
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:18:35 +0000

<DIV></DIV>
<P>Hi Everyone,</P>
<P>    I joined this group several weeks ago and noticed there wasn't much activity - I'm glad to see Connie's posting.</P>
<P>    I'm a single mom of an 8, 9 and 11 year old.  I'm constantly struggling with the 'food thing'.  I'm trying to get my kids to eat more healthy and find it is an uphill battle which I feel like I'm losing more than winning!  There's just so much junk food easily and readily available these days!  </P>
<P>   I bring very little 'junk food' into the house - sometimes you just have to have it though...for example, we celebrated my son's birthday on Saturday - I couldn't imagine not having cake and ice cream for this party!  I only offered the kids cut up fruit and veggies - they barely touched it but did gobble up the cake and ice cream!!</P>
<P>   Recently, I've started my kids taking Juice Plus (a capsule which contains 17 whole, vine ripened fruits and vegetables with the water, sugar and salt removed).  This eases my mind about whether or not they get enough servings of fruits and vegetables on  a daily basis but meanwhile I want to reduce their intake of the high-fat high-sugar foods.  So, any ideas in that area is greatly appreciated!  (I buy low-fat and non-fat whenever possible.  I don't like the sugar substitutes as I feel that I would be adding a potentially harmful chemical to their growing bodies)</P>
<P>   At this time, for snacks, I try to limit my offering to one of the following:  yogurt (drinkable, gogert or Trix), pretzels, fresh fruit such as apples, bananas, oranges, etc.  but only my daughters really eat these, cheese-its, cheese n crackers, Quaker rice cakes, and applesauce.</P>
<P>   If you know of a healthy snack that a picky eater might TRY (and this presents another question:  how do you get your kids to just TRY new food?  I've only found that one of my kid's friends eatting the food in front of my child can get him/her to try whatever it is!).....anyhow, any other healthy snack ideas would be appreciated....please excuse the lengthiness of this posting....</P>
<P>  Cindy<BR><BR></P><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>