Welcome Guest!
 PickyKids
RE: very picky  Lisa Nutbrown
 Apr 14, 2005 06:02 PDT

Hi Ryan!
I had to laugh when I read your post!  My first thought was, "His kid eats potatoes and most fruits and vegetables?!  And he's complaining?!"  Neither of my kids would touch a potato (unless it's french fries) and my oldest likes only a few veggies and fruit and no red meat!
When he was in Junior Kindergarten, I could send my oldest son all kinds of things to eat and he liked them.  Now he's picky.  I think it's probably alot of things.  My husband was -- still is -- a picky eater, so maybe it's partly hereditary.  I decided a long time ago not to force the issue.  As a child who was occasionally forced to eat and is still overcoming food issues, I swore I'd never do that to my kids.  I didn't make a big deal of it, and over time things have improved.  My oldest has recently started eating tuna, which he hasn't eaten for five years.  He's slowly added things like oatmeal, granola bars, and scrambled eggs to his diet.  Just because your son doesn't like something now doesn't mean he won't grow to like it.  It sounds like he's eating healthy foods, so just hang in!  You can offer new food, but
if he doesn't want to try it, don't make a big deal.  Remember also that kids generally like yogurt tubes or yogurt drinks, whole-grain pretzels or crackers, cheese strings, etc..
It sounds like you are doing a great job, so just relax.  Your son will try new things when he's ready.
Hugs,
Lisa in Ontario, Canada
Visit www.animalaide.org to make a donation, take a quiz, print colouring pages for the kids, or view the dogs and cats who need a loving home!>From: Ryan Ramsey <rram-@cocc.edu> >Reply-To: Cookin4P-@topica.com >To: Cookin4P-@topica.com >Subject: very picky >Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 03:41:06 +0000 > >My 6 year old used to eat all kinds of stuff when he was around 2 and 3. > For some unknown reason, he decided that he would only eat mashed >potatoes, cheese sandwiches, spaghetti (without sauce), the occasional >pancake and most fruits and vegetables. Oh, he does