Welcome Guest!
 PickyKids
tess warner  Sexeg-@aol.com
 Oct 05, 2000 05:07 PDT
Tess,
    I had a very similar problem. I had 4 of my own and 2 steps. Before the
steps moved in, I was able to convince my own to eat a fair variety of food,
but once the steps started turning up their noses, (their mother was queen of
take-out), my kids picked up on it too. I didn't exactly solve the problem,
but I was able to introduce a few new things into their dietary repetiore by
getting them to pick out something from the cookbooks that they wanted to
try, sometimes I could even encourage them to help in the preperation. They
were more open to trying new things when it was something they had picked
themselves. (I think initially they were trying to save face, but then
realized that they actually like it! LOL) Once I even took a recipe and
renamed it with my son's initials as RAM soup. It's a vegetable beef soup
made with hamburger and they ALL went for it and and still love it! The 4
older kids are all now grown and gone, but I get phone calls from the girls,
(the steps mind you!), for recipes of things they learned to like while at
home that they claim now, they miss so much. They've even asked for new
recipe ideas to try for their own dinner guests. One of them recently
visited for the weekend and I cooked two of the dishes she had asked for
recipes for and she was absolutely delighted to have a home cooked meal that
she hadn't had since she lived at home. It also gave me a chance to help her
out a little before she tried them at home for her boyfriend. Depending on
their ages, they will gradually start to enjoy trying more and more, but
unfortunately it takes time and you end up having to eat a lot of hot dogs
and mac 'n cheese until then. Good luck!
Pam