Welcome Guest!
 EDline
Re: varsity was (Re: Local flavo(u)r?)  Kersti Wagstaff
 Sep 20, 2003 03:21 PDT

 Anna McCormack wrote:

 'You might add that "To call the university the 'varsity is out of
date, if not precisely narsity." I apologise for the rhyme. 'Varsity
has somehow a flavour of the nineties.'
(So said an Oxford undergraduate in Dorothy L. Sayers, 'Murder at
Pentecost' in Hangman's Holiday, f.p. 1933.)

Amazing. I knew a particularly naff ex-pat Brit living in the south of Spain
in the 70s who clearly thought it was still the word to show that you moved
in the right circles. I had no idea it had gone out of fashion quite so long
ago. Dorothy Sayers is a mine of social information.

Regards

Kersti
kers-@dircon.co.uk