Welcome Guest!
 Graphic Novels
RE: AMVs  Chris Oarr
 Sep 20, 2006 14:20 PDT

Please don't ask us about this stuff. We'll just have to tell you "no."
Likewise the music rights holders---except I think they're accustomed to
using courser language....

Chris Oarr
ADV Films

-----Original Message-----
From: Smith, Nick [mailto:nsm-@cityofpasadena.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:34 PM
To: GNLI-@topica.com
Subject: RE: {GNLIB} AMVs

Anime conventions have been showing this kind of thing, and in that
setting the anime companies seem to view it as free advertising for
their products. I think I would ASK one or more of the anime companies
whether this view would hold in a library setting as well. Similar
productions have been done for TV shows and movies for years, and only a
few very specific companies and creators have ever objected. [At least
one fantasy/horror novelist HAS, in fact, taken legal action against
derivative works done by fans, and it was pretty ugly, even though she
had a legitimate point.]
--Nick Smith
Pasadena Public Library