Welcome Guest!
 GospelEUR
01-25-01 GospelEUR: Deleon Richards, Bishop Noel Jones, Vicki Winans  EURmail Man
 Jan 25, 2001 05:52 PST

Welcome to Gospel EUR for Thursday, January 25, 2001

     Gospel EUR is a potpourri of gospel entertainment
news and, well, other kinds of stories and good stuff. :)

      For your FREE subscription, simply send a BLANK email
to: GospelEUR--@topica.com

      To UNSUBSCRIBE, follow the instructions at the end
of this report and you will be taken off this list immediately.

In This Issue:
       * Deleon Richards, Bishop Noel Jones, Vicki Winans
       * The 9th Annual Quartet Convention
       * Rev. Clay Evans Documentary
       * Youth For Christ - CD Review
       * Feedback - Stellars, Stellars and Jesse

                              Now, on with the word!

BIBLE VERSE
Romans 2:1-3

1 Therefore thou art inexcusable. O man,
Whosoever thou art that judges: for wherein
Thou judges another, thou condemnest thyself;
For thou that judges does the same things.
2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is
according to the truth against them which commit
such things.
3 And thinkest thou this, O man that judgest
them which do such things, and doest the same,
that thou shall escape the judgment of God?

===============

BIBLE TRIVIA

QUESTION:
At whose command were 300 pitchers broken?

A. Gideon
B. Joshua
C. David
D. Samson

ANSWER: Keep Reading Today's Report.

***We made an error in last weeks Trivia question. It was
Noah who had an ark not Moses as asked in our question.
We also fall down, but we get up. We would like to thank all
our subscribers who informed us of our error. It was appreciated.

=================
GOSPEL NEWSBITS

*Deleon Richards

Deleon has completed her project entitled, "Straight From
The Heart." The project is scheduled to be release in
May 2001. Deleon performed at the ASCAP luncheon during
the Stellars and will perform at the Super Bowl Gospel Bash
in Tampa this weekend.

*Celebrate with Bishop Noel Jones

Greater Bethany Community Church of Los Angeles, under
the leadership of Bishop Noel Jones presents week 3 of their
month long 61st Church Anniversary Celebration with Evangelist
Jackie McCullough speaking tonight, January 25th and tomorrow,
January 26th. Bishop T.D. Jakes will be the guest speaker Thursday,
February 1. For additional information call (323) 750-0523.

*Vickie Winans Shines Bright!

If you missed the Stellar Awards, you missed an opportunity to
see what a million bucks look like. Vickie Winans was absolutely
gorgeous. She didn't just grace the stage as CO-host, she did it
in three gowns that were to die for. Vickie also was honored at
the BMI luncheon that was held the day before the taping in
Atlanta. Mary Mary sang a tribute to her and wrecked the
place! Vickie is in the studio working on her new project
to be released on Tommy Boy Records, "Kids Love
Jesus Too."

============================

FISH DOES FRY IN THE KITCHEN
Four stars for the 9th Annual Quartet Convention.......

Where can you experience high praise, novice and veteran
gospel artists, southern hospitality and soul food? At the
9th Annual American Gospel Quartet Convention, that's
where!

Founders Rev. George Stewart and wife, Dr. Jacqueline Stewart,
welcomed more than 2,500 registered participants and 120 or
more quartet performers to the four-day confab headquartered
at East Birmingham Church of God in Christ.

Days were filled with classes (e.g., Quartets and Gospel Radio
Professional Promoters, Business Ethics, the Religious Singer,
Emcee and Announcers) and luncheons sponsored by WorldWide
Gospel and Atlanta International Records. The quartet sound
filled the air each night as nearly 30 groups showcased their
talents.

If all that singing made a body hungry, not to worry! The kitchen
was open for soul food business for the folks who stayed as late
as 3:00a.m. to hear each group on the evening's agenda.

"It was a beautiful and informative event," according to St. Louis
KIRL Radio's Ruby Summerville Dixon, convention staff member
and advisor. Our convention theme, 'Let's Agree' was especially
meaningful since the recent death of one of our own (Malaco
recording artist Willie Neal Johnson)," Dixon continued.

On the final night of the convention, the quartets formed a mass
choir (directed by Excelsia Booking CEO Esther Wooten). They
sang Johnson and Keynotes hits in tribute.

The Quartet Convention Awards honorees included Hall of Fame
Inductees The Five Blind Boys of Alabama and the Five Bind
Boys of Mississippi, Quartet Announcers of the Year - Deacon
Shumpert Watts; Network Announcer of the Year -- Rick Joyner
of The Light; Quartet Label of the Year -- Malaco; Quartet Promoter
of the Year -- Rev. Andrew Cheairs; Quartet Producer of the Year
-- Luther Barnes; Female Vocalist of the Year -- Evelyn Turrentine
Agee. Majestic Communications Group CEO James Bullard was
all smiles as MCG artist Lee Williams and the Spiritual QC's
swept every other category.

"This Quartet Convention was one of the best ever," Dixon said.
"The 10th Annual can only get better."

========================

***ADVERT ***
Introducing "There Is Power in Prayer," the inspirational
debut CD of Timothy Griffin that will put you in the mindset
of talking to God. http://www.griffinmultimedia.com/cdorder.html

=========================

REV. CLAY EVANS DOCUMENTARY TO AIR
Sunday, January 28, on WGN at 5pm.

The life of Rev. Clay Evans is being featured in a documentary
entitled "IT IS NO SECRET." You can see it January 28 on
WGN at 5pm. For those outside of Chicago, WGN is usually
part of your basic cable package and many times on channel
99. Check your local TV guide. The documentary will feature
interviews with Rev. Jeanette Wilson, Bill Clinton, Rev Willie
Barrow, Willie Wilson, Rev Charles Jenkins, Dr. Johnnie
Coleman, and Rev Jessie Jackson. Jacqui Whittmon
is the assistant Producer and host of Gospelflight
on Chicago's WOUI 88.9 FM Radio.

=========================

FRED HAMMOND & RADICAL FOR CHRIST HIT GOLD
Purpose By Design Reaches The 500,000 Unit Sold Mark.

"Purpose By Design" Fred Hammond & Radical For
Christ's current hit album has been awarded Gold sales
certification. This mean, at least 500,000 units have been
sold since the project was released on March 22, 2000.

Additionally, Hammond was recently awarded three 2001
Stellar Awards for Best Male Vocalist, Best Contemporary
Male Vocalist and Producer of the Year and is nominated
for Outstanding Contemporary Gospel Artist for a NAACP
Image Award. GEUR says congratulations for a job
well done.

==========================

GREETINGS FROM BISHOP T.D. JAKES
"Loose Your Spirit" coming to your local Hallmark Shop.

Bishop T.D. Jakes will develop a new line of greeting cards
Entitled "Loose Your Spirit" for Mahogany Cards, a division
of Hallmark Cards. Bishop Jakes writings will be featured
in a series of inspirational messages. This is a first of its
kind agreement between a Minister and a greeting card
company.

The unique line of cards will offer consumers a variety
of meaningful sentiments such as Birthday, Wedding,
Sympathy, Cope, Encouragement, and Love. The scheduled
release for the card line to be available in Hallmark Stores is
the summer of 2001. "Hallmark's foray into spiritual/religious
marketing is part of a growing trend among many large
corporations," said Melanie Few, president of Results, Inc.

=========================

CD REVIEW: BY BRO. STEVE
The Georgia Mass Choir Presents
YFC-"Youth For Christ" Savoy Records

When you say Milton Biggham, you say hit...when you say
Elder Kenneth Paden, you say Georgia Mass Choir, when
you "Say My Name, Say My Name," you say somebody's
child, a whole bunch of them.

Oh, my Lord, get the sheet music out of the piano bench and
just let me roll all over the floor, with blessed oil rolling down
my face. When you use the expression "Sing Chil' wen," that's
what they do. I don't know what cereal, biscuit, or juice these
kids ate before this session, but I can tell you one thing, they
need to feed it to some adult choirs before they record.

From the album "Go Higher" this wonderful blend of angelic
young voices is second to none. As I was on the air going
"Higher" I knew "It's My Desire" to give my listeners what they
need to hear with a "Clean Heart." On behalf of all the gospel
announcers "I Just Want to Thank You," (my favorite song) for
producing an album where we can still hear the Hammond B-3
organ and some really churchy church musicians. "What A
Fellowship" of children you have brought to the Gospel music
world, now "I Believe I Could Fly"... forget touch the sky, touch
your neighbor and tell them to go buy this CD. "Come On Lets
Worship Him" and let's turn our bibles to "Psalm 34." Along with
the musical master blend of Troy Sneed, you'll run, scream, jump,
and shout, you'll be so happy you may give a copy to your
landlord to buy extra time on your rent.

Congratulations on your Grammy nomination. Oh, and by the
way, if you see me at the Grammy Awards, I'll tell you now,
I may not have a copy of your CD in my pocket but I sure
will have a fork and a napkin to eat up some chicken
at your victory celebration.

========================
BIBLE TRIVIA

ANSWER: Gideon
Judges 7:16-19
========================

Clare Burrows & Company Proudly Presents Melba Moore
In "Sweet Songs of the Soul." February 8, 9 and 10th at
Pima Community College West Campus, Prosenlus Theatre,
Tucson, AZ. Box Office 520-206-6986 or MelbaM-@aol.com.

========================

THE STELLAR AWARDS AIR DATES
January 25-February 1, 2001

January 26
BATON ROUGE, LA WBTR UPN 8:00 PM

January 27
ALEXANDRIA, LA KALB NBC 11:00 AM
CHICAGO, IL WGN WB 7:00 PM
COLUMBIA/JEFF CITY, MO KNLJ IND 7:00 PM
DETROIT, MI WWJ CBS 11:00 PM
FRESNO/ VISALIA, CA KAIL UPN 8:00 PM
HATTIESBURG/ LAUREL, MS WHLT CBS 11:35PM
JACKSON, MS WJTV CBS 11:35 PM
HONOLULU, HI KWHE IND 4:00 PM
JONESBORO, AR KVTJ IND 10:00 PM
LITTLE ROCK/PINE BLUF, AR KVTN
KVTH IND 10:00 PM
MINNEAPOLIS/ST PAUL, MN KSTP ABC 1:30 AM

January 28
COLUMBIA, SC WQHB UPN 2:00 PM
FRESNO/VISALIA, CA KAIL UPN 2:00 PM

January 30
INDIANAPOLIS, IN WHMB IND         8:00PM

February 1
DALLAS/FT. WORTH, TX KTXA UPN 2:00 AM

             ////////////ADVERT PLEASE READ////////////
Great American Gospel Music @ www.InnovativeMusic.com
Looking for Gospel music and videos from the likes of Edwin
Hawkins, COGIC International Mass Choir or Moses Tyson, Jr.
and want it at a reasonable price? Look no further than:
www.InnovativeMusic.com where CD's are $9.98 and
cassettes are $5.98 everyday.
      Visit www.InnovativeMusic.com today!
           /////////////////////////////////////////////

=============
GEUR/EURweb SALES REPRESENTATIVES NEEDED
                 Email resume and inquiries to: dmc-@aol.com
=============

EYE ON GOSPEL PUBLICATIONS
Lisa Collins, Publisher and Billboard Columnist

Dubbed "the Bible of the Gospel music industry," The Gospel
Music Industry Round-Up 2001 is a one stop resource guide
offering detailed, up-to-date and valuable information that is
referenced daily by industry professionals, musicians,
aspiring artists and fans.

This annual publication has a circulation of 10,000+ and is
sold at all the major gospel music venues. The Round-Up
is now available for the purchase price of $17.95 + $3.55
shipping and handling a total of ($21.50).

Additionally, the Round-Up website is being upgraded and
will be up and running at the end of February. If you'd like to
be listed in the booking and management section online, contact
Chrystal Allen, Marketing/Sales Representative 310-677-6011
(lafo-@aol.com or chrysta-@yahoo.com).

==============

GospelEUR FEEDBACK
      (send mail to: GospelEUR-@eurweb.com)
      Because of the large volume of mail we receive, we CAN'T
personally answer all e-mail. But keep your eye on the GospelEUR.
You never know when your comment or question will turn up.
ALL letters are subject to editing. Also, let us know what
city and state you're from.

***********
*Brotha' Percy (New York City)
I attended the Stellar Gospel Music Awards in ATL and for
the most part, I've returned home unfulfilled.....Can someone
tell me how or why in the world would you open a Gospel
program with a Carl Thomas, a Debra Cox and a Tamar
Braxton? Why, why, why? Honestly, I couldn't care less if a
so called Gospel themed film with Kirk's compositions is soon
to open - big deal! - Yes, Kirk's ministry is wonderful, but the
film itself, will it compel folks to race to the altar? probably
not! It's confusing when you see the Gospel Music industry
patting the world on the back and awarding someone like
Brandy with a Most Notable Achievement Award; Give me a
break - good deeds, very nice, but appearing in a Mary Mary
video is no qualification here; let the R&B industry award
her - we'll continue to pray for her; maybe one day she'll decide
that Christ is worth a song or two on an album...and thanks
Brandy for getting dressed for the occasion! And why didn't one
of the years hottest Gospel duos (Mary Mary) not perform on the
program?.....Ananda, for now sweetheart, stick with MTV - because
as you demonstrated, that Holy Ghost can leave one lost for words,
Uh?.......Hez - Hip Hop - since when?.....Donald Lawrence, I love
ya', you're a great writer and producer, but brotha' please leave
the dancin' to Michael ... Ricky, I loved that Matrix impression
... I'm sorry, Miss Jackson, but please tell your hubby and his
CCP Staff to keep it real and focused on GOSPEL; we of the
Gospel Music Industry don't need Hollywood and/or Artists of
other genres of music to validate us at all;yes, it's true, we've
still got some ways to go, but we're not crawling any
longer - we're standing on solid ground with both feet
and slowly, but surely moving forward...And finally,
to the Gospel records labels and artists, we're supposed
to set the standard for others to follow - don't get it twisted!

*Michael Curtis, No City Given
Praise God for the Gospel EUR report! I have been subscribing
to EUR for years and am glad there is finally an EUR(Gospel)
that speaks to where I am at and what I am most interested in.
It is a great format and I have passed it on to all my friends and
told them to subscribe as well.

As far as the Jesse Jackson situation - " We have all sinned..."
I feel for the man and understand that the enemy is out to destroy
anyone who is willing to stand up for what is right, especially in
the name of Jesus. My prayers go out to him as I am sure there
are many that are laughing and mocking now.

Brandy? As was stated in the GEUR there are many, many
others worthy of this award who publicly (in every area...music
and otherwise) who should have gotten the award. I feel it is
a slap in the face of those who proclaim and live the Word
of God in their every day life.

Keep up the God work, GEUR!

GEUR: Thank you. Subscribers like yourself are the reason
GEUR is published. It is our intention to continue to offer a
potpourri of gospel entertainment news and, other kinds of
stories and good stuff, while keeping God first.

*Sherri M., No City Given
I would like to respond to Brandy's receipt of an award from
the Stellar Gospel Music Award committee. When I first heard
of this I really was appalled that here we have a secular singer
being recognized with this award from the gospel community
as if they could not find 1 gospel artist or non-artist to recognize
with such a prestigious award. I am quite sure that there a many
gospel artists out there providing outreaches or charitable outlets
for those who may be in need and for the Stellars to go outside
the realm of gospel - those actually spreading the good news of
Jesus Christ - is truly a slap in the face. That's like your family
complimenting your neighbor's kids and never giving you accolades
for the same thing.

As far as "Rev" Jessie Jackson is concerned - first we must
pray for him and his family. I know this is hard for his wife and
children to deal with. But my main issue with this situation is
the fact that he has a prefix before his name and that is Reverend.
As a Minister of God there is a level of responsibility placed on
you that is not placed on "lay people" and actions such
as these place a stain on the banner of Christianity. God
is not pleased with such actions, we should not be pleased
with such actions but as God forgives, we too must forgive
and pray that the family can heal from this.

*A.T., No City Given
I too agree with the Brandy situation I feel that there are many
people out there that are working to make a difference and are
tied more to the churches than Brandy. I know of a lot in my
community so I'm sure that they could have found someone
more suited to honor with that award.

*Vena, KCMO
Thomas were a part of the Gospel awards show. Me being
a Christian I wondered that myself. I totally agree with
everything your article entailed.

*S STARKS, No City Given
GEUR you have brought up many good questions, but
I think the most important question is, "Who is behind
the production of the show?" As much as we would like
to think that black executives are behind the black t.v.
shows, radio stations, we know that this is not the case
in most situations. Maybe in this case a Christian was
not behind the creative side of the show. (black or white
is not the issue here...Christian is the issue) Us "spiritual
people" gotta be more careful with who we let represent
us...I won't go into the Jesse Jackson situation...that would
take too long.

Bottom line...when you have the wrong people behind the
scenes making decisions, it's all about money and ratings.
I'm sure they were trying to bring in the secular audience
with Carl and Brandy...maybe they should try advertisement.
They could at least get more of the Christian audience.
I think I've seen the show maybe twice in my life. I never
know when it's coming on. BTW-there's a lot of Christian
rap/soul like R&B....so Carl Thomas opening was crazy.

*Angela Brown, Dublin, Ohio
Regarding Jessie Jackson and his latest testimony, all I
have to say is "...let him who is without sin, cast the first
stone!" Not excusing what he has done, but not judging
him, either. Like everyone else's wrong doings, from
telling lies to jealousy to hate to killing to adultery (and
beyond), this is between Jessie and God, and ONLY
there, will it be handled accordingly.

*ERICA, Pontiac, MI
Don't mean to be a Monday morning quarterback,
BUT I've heard that Jesse was a big time cheater a long
time ago. I'm not at all surprised.

*Matilda Gomes, No City Given
It is sad to hear that the respected Jesse Jackson had an
extramarital affair that produced an illegitimate child, but
he is after all, human. We can forgive him that he is doing
the right thing for the child, but would have made the
revelation had the Inquirer not threaten to go public?

It is also sad that he reveals that he took her to the White
House while he was the spiritual leader for Bill Clinton.
Who knows, maybe he caught a bit of the cheating bug
from William Jefferson Clinton. NOT!!!!!!!!! He did wrong.
He committed adultery and he should know better that
adultery is breaking one of the 10 Commandments since
he is a minister. But I guess it all boils down to the fact
that he is first and foremost a human being and a black
man with an overactive libido. I hope that he and his family
and reconcile and work things out for the sake of his family
and this child. Good luck and God bless them all.

*Karen, Florida
The last thing that any of us should do is condemn him. He
is already suffering from a tarnished image. Though he is an
ordained minister, etc., etc., he is still a human being who
battles sin like the rest of us. Certainly, he is repenting. I'm not
thrilled about what he's done. I don't excuse him. But again,
I don't condemn him. No human being has the right to judge him.
That's God's business. The best position for all of us to take is
to pray for him and his family to get through this ordeal. There
are always blessings to be discovered in the midst of adversity.
Before we start tearing Jesse down, we need to read the Holy
Scriptures guidance on judging (Luke 6:40-42). I think it will
keep a lot of hypocritical tongues from wagging. Let's rise
above this and stay on the Path. Have a great day!

We look forward to hearing from you. Email us at:
GospelEUR-@eurweb.com

               ////////// New Gospel Radio Program! ////////////
         NEW FROM RABERCOM AND BBS RADIO ... GNN
Lee Bailey's Gospel News Now/GNN. Hosted by Queen James,
Gospel News Now is a cutting edge daily radio show delivering daily
testimonies from today's top gospel stars and reports on the latest
issues facing the Christian lifestyle. Call your local Gospel or urban
radio station and request to hear Gospel News Now. For a GNN
station list, send email to: GospelN-@aol.com
                       /////////////////////////////////////

TO ADVERTISE IN GOSPEL EUR, send email to: sal-@eurweb.com
In the subject line, write "advertise in Gospel EUR"

Send your news and announcements to: Gospe-@eurweb.com
or fax them to us at: 213-947-4789

Adverts keep the EUR FREE - Support our advertisers!

SUBSCRIBE YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY
MEMBERS TO GEUR
    Are you one of those people that forwards the GEUR
to someone else? Well, let us do the work and subscribe them.
Send friends and family e-mail addresses to us at:
Gospe-@eurweb.com
    BTW, be sure and tell them that you're sending their
address(es) to us. To UNsubscribe -- if you already receive
GospelEUR -- just scroll down and follow the directions.

TELL THE WORLD WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND
       Now you don't have to wait for the GEUR to print your letter.
Go direct! Go to our message boards NOW:
    http://www.eurweb.com/forums

**************************************
Any information reprinted or broadcast from this report
must be credited to the Gospel Electronic Urban Report.
***************************************

VISIT GEUR ON THE WEB
Just go to our Web site (http://www.EURwebcom).

ADVERTISE IN THE GEUR
      Now, reach more than 260,000 readers per month. For more
information, send email to: Sal-@EURweb.com

GEUR is looking for ambitious, self-motivated, sales reps.
Please forward resume to: dmc-@aol.com
immediately for consideration.

To UNsubscribe from Gospel EUR, send a BLANK email to:
GospelEUR-u-@topica.com and you will be taken OFF
this list immediately.