Welcome Guest!
 Haunted Places
 Mar 16, 2003 08:14 PST
THE HAUNTED PLACES REPORT

Founded by: Dennis William Hauck
Edited by: Rev. Ronald E. Beach
Email: Edi-@haunted-places.com
Website: http://www.Haunted-Places.com

editor.

03/18/03

_____________

FROM THE EDITOR
_____________

In addition to updating the Haunted Places website
( "http://www.Haunted-Places.com" ) we are also in the process of making
some changes to the newsletter. Hopefully for the better. One change
you’ll notice in this issue is that there is no more listings of
upcoming events. Under this heading you will find the url to the
Website’s upcoming event page. In the next few issues the Tour & Media
Listings will also be moved to the website.
The reason for the changes is the newsletter is starting to become to
long for many subscribers email to handle. This is an attempt to reduce
the size but still maintain access to high quality information.

***
We are in the process of updating our website: Haunted-Places.com The
will be many new features added to the website as well has an update of
the old ones. We are trying to make the site a “one stop” reference for
those interested in ghost hunting. You can help us in the following
ways:

1. If you like your group listed on our site please email a brief
description of your group along with the URL for your website. In order
to be listed your group must have a website. In your description please
include an email address for people to contact. Due to security issues
we will not list snail mail addresses (unless it is a P.O. Box) or phone
numbers.

2. Are you a writer? Do you have any ghostly articles you like to submit
for use on the site? Let us know. Did you write a book on a ghostly
subject? Send us a copy and we’ll review in the newsletter and list it
in the ”Haunted Bookstore”. Books can be sent to us at:
Haunted-Places
P.O. Box 514
Columbiana, Ohio 44408

3. We are adding a section for ghostly photos. Send us your photos along
with a details of the events when the photo was taken. If you can we
would like details such as: Where taken, date/time, type camera & film,
any unusual things that where happening when taken, etc...

4. Is your group having an upcoming event or any meetings this year? Let
us know and we’ll list it in the “Upcoming Events” section.

5. Have you done any interesting investigation? Send us a report and
we’ll post it in the “Investigations” section.

Please visit the site at: Haunted-Places.com and let us know your
thoughts & comments. Anything you like to see added to the site? All
items should be emailed to us at: Webma-@haunted-places.com

_____________

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
_____________

We invite your letters to the editor. Tell us how you feel about things
in the newsletter or in the ghost hunting community. All letters must be
accompanied by an email address so other readers can respond to you.

***
From: rainwo-@hotmail.com

Greetings from Southwest Missouri.
Just got my first newsletter. I love it! Has anyone out there heard of
Ravenswood? Its in central Missouri, near Boonville. An old, declining
mansion, built in the 1880's and inhabited by a lady named Nadine. You
can take tours, if you are lucky enough to catch someone around. Also
worthwhile---the Haunted tour of the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs,
Arkansas.

_________________

ANNOUNCEMENTS
_________________

From: HAUNTED AMERICA UPDATE
OFFICIAL NEWSLETTER OF GHOSTS OF THE PRAIRIE
Website: http://www.prairieghosts.com

INFORMATION ON ANOTHER GREAT TOUR!
Scheduled for June ---
TOURS OF TERROR, who have presented the highly acclaimed Dracula Tour:
Vampire Vacation to Transylvania every Halloween for the past five
years, have announced the dates of the first-ever
GHOSTour. Horror fans who appreciate haunted castles, the world's
scariest places and areas of the unknown, the unexplained, the
paranormal and the supernatural are invited to participate in
this unique vacation to England from June 8-15, 2003
The inaugural GHOSTour will visit Highgate Cemetery in London
(inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula), Hampstead
Heath, the London Dungeon, the Tower of London, the Borley rectory
(known as the most haunted spot in Great Britain), the Crown Inn, Castle
Rising, York Dungeon, Swinton Castle, Whitby and many other haunted
locations. We will do a haunted pub crawl, follow in the footsteps of
Jack The Ripper, enter haunted Churches and Theatres and end the week
with a gala masquerade ball with a chilling and thrilling costume
contest and dance party. There will surely be spirits of all kinds at
this party.
The week-long travel adventure is hosted by paranormal investigator
Kriss Stephens, the official ghost hunter from MTVs FEAR program.
GHOSTour includes airfare to England, deluxe hotel accommodations,
special guest ghost-hunters and mediums, tour-guides, coach transfers,
breakfasts, some meals, plus all admissions-events-attractions.
Whether you believe in ghosts or not, you will have the time of your
life (even if you're sharing space with the undead!). No other tour
offers the scares and fun of this professionally escorted, fully
guided week-long trip, open to all ages, with activities both during the
day and also at night. For a free printed brochure with complete
itinerary and details, call toll-free (866) T-E-R-R-O-R-T-O-U-R
(direct line 203-795-4737),
Email “ToursO-@aol.com"
Website: "http://www.ghostour.com"

***
We are a new ghost hunting group from Central Indiana. We are involved
in investigating the paranormal. We also help with cemetery cleanups,
and try to get as much background info as we can before a hunt or
investigation. Our website is open to the public to peruse and leave
messages or comments. We also accept memberships from all over the world
in our group. In the coming months, we'll be reporting our
investigations on our web site, along with pictures.
Website: GhostHunter-@groups.msn.com

***
From: Kevin at: "spoo-@yahoo.com"

This is just a little correction to one of your sights. The Georgetown
Castle is actually a wooden Victorian mansion, not of stone. It was
built around the turn of the century on the Southside of Seattle in an
area called Georgetown, it isn't a town in and of itself.
The ghost of Sarah is actually the ghost of the wife of the builder of
the house. The builder was a local gambler who killed himself by
drinking Carbolic acid when his luck went bad. Sarah had a child by her
husband, she then asked her sister to come and stay to help with the
baby. It is said that her sister got jealous for some reason of the
baby, and then killed the baby by dropping or throwing the child out of
the top turret window. After her husband killed himself, Sarah went mad,
and for years, until she died, she was always seen in the top turret
room where the baby had been dropped or thrown.
The story of her ghost strangling herself and with the glowing eyes,
was just a local ghost story to scare people. From talking to the people
that live there, she is a very friendly and intuitive spirit. When
guests have been over, she has been seen peeking around corners into the
living room, or has been heard walking around the house. The scent of
old lavender water, like that used at the turn of the century, has been
smelled throughout the house, as if someone is walking through the
rooms.
The house is now being rebuilt, and is in poor condition. The people
that live there, will sometimes give a tour of the house. I hope that
clears it up a little. I used to work right across the street, and have
taken some pictures of it. I got to know several of the people that have
lived in the area, and in the house over the years. I got a couple of
different stories, but what I have sent to you is what most agree upon.

_______________

FEATURE STORY
_______________

Chepachet, Rhode Island’s Most Haunted Landmark
By: Ramt-@aol.com

Chepachet is a small hamlet in the Northwestern part of Rhode Island.
It’s ancient buildings and antique shops along Main Street defy all
traces of progress and time. The village’s lavish history ranges from
the infamous shooting of America’s second Pachyderm, Betty, to the
boasting of the oldest continually running store in the USA. This quaint
community is rich with the strides of yesteryear. It is also alive with
the haunting of yesteryear’s people.
One of the most distinctive, and by far, the most haunted of these
buildings is the Stagecoach Tavern. Built in the early 1700’s, the
tavern served as a stage stop along the Putnam Pike (Route 44) from
Providence, RI to Hartford, Connecticut. Travelers would dine and lodge
while fresh horses were exchanged for the next leg of the route. The
food here is next to none as it has been through the centuries. This
great cuisine, coupled with its historic furnishing makes an
irresistible atmosphere for all. Including those who have passed on.
It first gained its notoriety when a peddler named Acote came to the
inn as he often did to sell his wares. He checked in for the night but
he was never to leave. For the next morning, Acote was found murdered on
the back steps of the tavern. He was buried one mile east of the inn on
a hill which now bears his name. It was also the focus of one of Rhode
Island’s most controversial political battles.
When Thomas Dorr, the newly elected Governor of RI under the People’s
Party attempted to take his seat, the incumbent Governor, Samuel King
refused to step down. A rebellion ensued and King’s troops marched
toward the awaiting Dorr army encamped on Acote’s Hill just down the
street from the tavern. When Dorrsaw he was vastly
outnumbered, he dispersed his troops and fled. King’s troops lodged at
the tavern for the summer nearly bankrupting the owner, Jedediah
Sprague, as he was never compensated from the state for their gluttonous
leisure. The only casualty from the rebellion was when
someone fired shots through the keyhole of the door hitting one Horace
Bordeen in the thigh.
Time went on and the tavern saw much history as many strange events
etched themselves into the walls of the ancient edifice. It is these
events that fuel the fire in the spirits of the tavern.
Along with the possible revenant of Acote is the ghost of a woman who
was killed there on Valentines Day by a jealous lover. On the
anniversary of her death each year, strange happenings let the people
know she is still present. Eva Marie, a long time employee of the
restaurant and tavern has experienced many bizarre things. Every
Valentines Day, the lights will continually switch themselves on and off
with no visible being around to touch them. Items disappear only to be
found in strange places later or are moved within seconds of their
placement on tables.
This past Valentines Day, Eva witnessed the lights in the dining room
flick on so she shut them off. A few minutes later she again noticed
three lights illuminated and dowsed them. When she went back into the
dining room there were five lights on. That is when she realized the
spirit was at play so she left them on until closing the inn.
She has also seen, along with many other patrons, the phantom of a
woman dressed in 19th century clothing sitting in the corner booth
towards the rear of the restaurant. She will appear at any time and
vanish as suddenly as she came.
The spirits of the Stagecoach Tavern seem to use many ways of
communicate with their living counterparts. One night at about 2:30 AM
after closing the bar, Eva-Marie laid out the menus on the tables for
the next morning. Arriving that morning earlier than the owner, she duly
unlocked the door to do the morning tidings when to her shock the menus
were scattered about the room with one face up in the ice bucket behind
the bar. A sconce was missing from one of the tables. It has never been
found.
Even the owner, Eugene Waterman, has many a bizarre tale to tell of the
antiquated structure. One day he brought a box of coasters into the bar
then went to get another box. When he returned, they were gone. Upon
investigation, he found them scattered all over the stairway leading to
the cellar. He was the only occupant (living) in the building at the
time and never heard a sound even though, strangely enough, they
appeared to have been violently thrown down the stairs. He also related
that on many occasions he has heard a soft eerie sobbing from the dining
room only to find, upon checking, the room locked and empty. Other
noises such as the creaking of the archaic wooden dining benches are
more than audible from the kitchen as if someone, or something, is
sliding in and out of them.
On another occasion, Debbie, the other long time employee of the
tavern, came running out of the building after hearing someone calling
her from a few feet away in the otherwise empty lounge area. As she was
cleaning the ladies room one evening, the sink kept turning itself on.
Most recently, her boyfriend brought his daughter there for lunch. When
she needed to use the bathroom, he stood outside the door and waited.
Before long, he asked her if she was all right. She said she was playing
with the little boy that was in there with her. No one had come in or
out of the ladies room. When she emerged from the bathroom she motioned
to the open door and told her daddy to say hello to the boy in the
doorway. He saw nothing but she insisted the boy was there to the point
of irritation on the part of her father ignoring her new friend. That is
when he took the food to go, and went.
Another ghost is thought to be that of Acote who was the peddler found
mysteriously murdered at the back steps of the inn. A few people in the
upstairs apartments have reported seeing a man in ancient, ragged attire
floating around the halls and rooms of some of the apartments.
There is the apparition of a woman who has been seen in the pantry on
numerous occasions by many a hired hand. One night as Eva-Marie was
working in the kitchen, she zipped by who she thought was the cook. He
would be the only other employee in the kitchen at that time of the
evening. A few moments later she breezed by the trap door again and saw
the form out of the corner of her eye. As she moved towards the door,
the chef came in from the outside. Stunned, she turned towards the
figure at the trap door and noticed it was a woman dressed in 19th
century garments. It dwelled there for a few moments more before
vanishing in front of both employees.
I have done two separate investigations of the Tavern. One was
spontaneous due to our arriving in the middle of a “hot” evening and the
other was well planned. Both times we left thoroughly convinced that the
Stagecoach Tavern was unquestionably haunted.
The first was July 3, 2001 when we entered the tavern for some talk and
a bite to eat. Eva-Marie immediately accosted us ranting about the eerie
events of that day. She reported to us about how objects had been moved
around all day despite of the employee’s tidiness and attention to their
work. A candy bowl filled moments before was
found half empty when she turned around. This was before any patrons had
begun shuffling in. Gene also told me that on three separate occasions
that day he heard the sobbing of a woman in the closed dining room. Each
time he checked the room it was empty.
We ate and waited for the room to close then went in when all was
quiet. The period antiques and original ceiling beams cast a copious,
charming, yet foreboding atmosphere about the room. The air was so
thick, you could see it’s yellow hue draping down over the décor. As we
stood in the foyer, the light above the haunted bench began to flicker.
Assuming it was loose, I checked it. It was secured tightly in its
cavity. According to employees and patrons, it had been doing this on
and off all evening. The repetitive sequence of flashes resembled Morse
code so I jotted down the flickers as dots and dashes based on the idea
that nothing should be left unturned during an investigation. I figured
I could decode it later and maybe something would turn up. The light was
one of several attached to the same string lacing the walls of the room
so the chance of it being an isolated electrical problem was slim at
best. We replaced the bulb but the new one acted in the same manner as
its predecessor.
We had a camera I always keep in the car and snapped a few pictures. As
I stood near the silverware tray on the opposite side of the room, the
light above my head began to flash in the same manner as the first one.
As we left the room, the strange shade of yellow still hovered in the
air. They were quite relieved to lock up for the night.
Unfortunately, none of the photos showed anything out of the ordinary
but when I deciphered the sequence of flashes they astonishingly read
the phrase “I am here Sue” over and over. Could it have been an amazing
coincidence or was someone from beyond the grave trying to communicate
with a person they knew in a past life?
The next investigation, in April of 2002, was an official Rhode Island
Paranormal investigation with a four-person crew. Armed with digital
recorder, cameras, EMF meter, gauss meter, thermal scanner, and motion
detectors, we set out to expose any kind of activity and record the
proof. The room, once again, had the same eerie yellow haze looming over
it as before.
The thermal scanner did not pick up any strange temperature changes but
the EMF and gauss meters did. An old barbers chair in one corner set the
needle jumping. I checked all around the chair but the meter reacted
only when pointed at the seat of the chair even after relocating the
chair several times. Thialso was the case with two old dining chairs
even when we moved them to different locations about the room where no
previous readings were evident.
Our cameras, which were in perfect working order before we entered the
dining room, both mysteriously failed after a few shots were taken. I
guess some things just do not want to be photographed. After we left the
room they worked fine.
I sat in the haunted booth with the digital recorder and asked a series
of questions. When I replayed the recorder, a gravely yet very audible
voice asked “WHY?” to the second question, which was asking if the
spirits wanted to talk with us. The sound made everyone’s arm hairs
stand on end. The meters also reacted to the booth but we could not move
the stationary unit from the wall to isolate the meter’s activity. After
a while any activity in the room ceased and all was quiet. Even the
eerie haze had dissipated into the void. We retired to the lounge to
record and discuss our findings.   While in the lounge, Arlene, a team
member, was talking with another member about religion when her glass
exploded into small fragments from the base hitting people as far as
three feet away as if someone slammed it with a sledgehammer. All the
other glasses on the table remained unscathed. Witnesses stared at the
remains of the glass stunned by the enigma.
A crystal expert explained that a certain vibration could cause such an
exploding but all the other glasses in the place of the same make would
have followed the same fate as well. His only other explanation barring
the previous was something unseen had to have shattered it with great
force from above. We soon left the tavern and it’s ghosts behind
mingling surreptitiously with the patrons of the present world.
Although our pictures did not reveal any photographic signs of
apparitions in the tavern, all the other incidents as well as numerous
witness accounts attest to the fact that as you read this article I have
penned, you can be sure that the phantoms residing at the Stagecoach
Tavern have permanently checked in.
How to get there: If you travel down Rte 44 Interstate from
Connecticut, Chepachet center is 6 miles from the border and the tavern
is on your left boldly standing along the street. From Massachusetts it
is about 20 miles into Chepachet village on the right hand side.

____________

SEEKING INFORMATION
___________

email the senders.

***
From: "JCCD-@aol.com"

Hello I was wondering If you could tell me is there any tours of Pierce
County, Washington or the surrounding area?

___________

TRUE STORIES
___________

From: Kristen (email address withheld due to age)

I am 12 years old and I would like to share an encounter with you that
I had almost 3 months ago. I was sitting in my bathroom doing my hair
when I noticed something in the mirror. I turned to see what it was and
there was nothing there. So I went back to doing my hair and a few
seconds later I noticed it again. Once again I turned around and saw a
man standing in the doorway of my house. I got really frightened and
turned around again, hoping that it was all my imagination. As I turned
around slowly hoping not to see any thing it was gone. Almost like I had
thought the whole thing up. I told my mother and I honestly don t think
she believed me. Also to mention I have a cemetery in the back of my
house dated back to the 1860s. I do believe I saw something that day and
will never really forget it.

***
From: "Jmcgh-@aol.com"

Hi, in 1996 I moved in to a cozy rock house in New Braunfels, Texas. I
was told it had recently been moved to the 5 wooded acres from a small
town . I fell in love with the house. My children had an entire upstairs
to themselves. Two bedrooms and a bathroom at the end of the hall. It
was perfect. But night after night my youngest daughter; Chelsea; would
come running downstairs crying, hop into my bed, and fall asleep. I
would try and ask her what was wrong but she would be too much of a
wreck to answer. I asked my oldest daughter; Sierra. She said that she
and Chelsea had talked about it before. That a little boy kept running
by their doors. I didn't know what to say. I didn't believe them. A
friend of mine at work was into the whole paranormal thing, so I asked
her to come over to my house, and just poke around upstairs. Not telling
her about my girls, and their encounter with "the boy". To my
astonishment she was very interested in the house. She told me a small
child or a dog was haunting the upstairs and that it wasn't allowed to
come down. I was speechless. But she continued. A tall man was haunting
the downstairs. I was even more amazed. I had seen the man out of the
corner of my eye, several times. My husband had been having dreams where
he said he saw a man standing over our bed. He would punch at the man,
and slam his fist straight into the wall. And it got worse. I began to
see the man alot. While doing dishes, or just walking down the hall. My
children were afraid to be alone. I loved the house but new I could not
live here. So we began to search for a new house. And we found one, a
nice furnished house in Canyon Lake. It is not my dream house like the
one In NB but it will do. That is my scary encounter with the
paranormal.

___________

UPCOMING EVENTS
___________

For complete details of all events listed in this section please visit:
"http://www.haunted-places.com/tours.htm"

___________
TOURS & SHOWS
___________

Gettysburg Civil War Era Theater is a live, one man show featuring a
Civil War Era Magic Show, an "old timer" who talks about life as a
civilian in Gettysburg at the time of the great battle and shares some
of the more popular ghost stories which have been associated with the
town and concludes with a theatrical recreation of a civil war era
seance.
The program has been skillfully choreographed by magician, actor &
author Joe Kerrigan to be educational as well as entertaining.
Affordably priced for the entire family tickets are $17.95 for Adults,
$10.95 12 and under. Shows nightly at 7:00PM.
Best Inn
301 Steinwehr Ave.
Gettysburg, Pa.
(717) 642-9215
Website: http://civilwartheater.com

***
Downtown Orlando Florida
8pm EVERY Saturday
90 minute lantern lead walking tours of historic downtown Orlando. Cost
is $10 per person. Orlando's ORIGINAL Ghost Tour departs from
Guinevere's Coffeehouse (on the corner of Pine and Magnolia).
Website: http://www.orlandohauntings.com
Email: Webma-@Orlandohauntings.com
Phone: 407-992-1200

***
Simply Spooky! (tm)
200 years in 2 hours!
Join us on this Ghostly Ghost Walk and Tour of the Historic Town of
Burlington, Ontario (Canada) where we explore 200 years of history in 2
hours. Informative, educational and accurate accounts of the history
makers from early 1700's to the present. Conducted by Patrick Cross,
Canada's top ghost researcher.
2003 Season is June 1st - November 10th
Cost: $10.00 for adults, $2.00 for children 10-16 years of age.
Email: sci-@globalserve.net
Website: http://www.globalserve.net/~scifi/latestnews.htm
Phone: 416-201-4670

***
Haunts of the World's Most Famous Beach
Daytona Beach Florida
7:30pm EVERY Thursday-Sunday
We offer three different 90 minute lantern lead walking tours of
historic downtown Daytona Beach and Deland:

The Original Ghost Walk departs from the northwest corner of Main St &
Peninsula Dr. (Friday & Saturday)

The Riverfront Park Walk departs from the northeast corner of Orange
Ave. & Beach St. (Thursday & Sunday)

The Deland Ghost Walk departs from the corner of Woodland Blvd. &
Indiana Ave. (Friday &Saturday)

Cost is$8.00 per person. Proceeds from these tours help benefit our
research and our two cemetery preservation & restoration projects. This
is the first ghost tour in Florida that is owned and operated by a
certified ghost hunter and active certified paranormal researcher.
Website: http://www.hauntsofdaytona.com
Email: hauntsof-@aol.com
Phone: (386) 253-6034

___________

MEDIA LISTINGS
___________

   The media listing mainly cover the 8pm to 10pm time slots. Most
listed times are Eastern Standard Time. Please check your local listings
for the correct viewing times in your area.

____________

INTERNET RADIO PROGRAMS:
____________

The "Exploring Unexplained Phenomena" radio program is on KZUM 89.3 FM,
Lincoln, NE, and has been on-air every Saturday morning since 1984, 10 -
11:30 am Central Time. The station phone number during the program only:
402-474-5086. The host is Scott H. Colborn, Email:
kcol-@inebraska.com
Website is: http://www.thewayhomestore.com

***
Jeff Rense: Listen at : http://www.sightings.com/
Mon. - Fri. at 7pm to 10 pm Pacific time
Sat. at 9pm to 3am Pacific time
Sun. at 8pm to 11pm Pacific time

***
http://www.pawebcast.cc/

Live every Wednesdays from 8 to 9pm EST.
Listen at:
http://www.pawebcast.com/visions/visions_from_the_other_side.htm

***
The Lou Gentile Show