Welcome Guest!
 Haunted Places
 Mar 23, 2003 09:18 PST
THE HAUNTED PLACES REPORT

Founded by: Dennis William Hauck
Edited by: Rev. Ronald E. Beach
Email: Edi-@haunted-places.com
Website: http://www.Haunted-Places.com

editor.

03/25/03

_____________

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
_____________

We invite your letters to the editor. Tell us how you feel about things
in the newsletter or in the ghost hunting community. All letters must be
accompanied by an email address so other readers can respond to you.
***

I like the idea of slimming down the news letter and taking advantage
of a URL bulletin board to announce events. May I suggest that including
a one paragraph summary of all the states where events will be occurring
(followed by the URL link) in the news letter would be a helpful
prompter to get people to click to the URL.
I was interested to see the technique used by the Rhode Island ghost
hunters in which they would isolate a piece of furniture by moving it
and rechecking their meter readings. When a consistency of readings is
found it might well indicate that the item itself is possibly a haunted
artifact. The writer failed to mention whether control readings were
also taken of the empty space from which the item of furniture had just
been moved. If readings between the item and the space were similar, but
different from the ambient readings of the room as a whole, THERE...
would be an interesting point of departure for further research.
In the RI account there was also an example of a glass shattering.
Often such instances could provide unique evidence of a paranormal
event, but the mess is just cleaned up and the pieces tossed away. Here
is my take on that.
Glass is a semi plastic material even though it seems quite solid, to
us. Most people know about the physics of resonant frequencies that
enable a glass to vibrate to the point where it will shatter. Usually
this applies to thin fine crystal being affected by the power of the
human voice rarely do we hear about a repeated piano note or violin note
causing the same effect though the same laws of physics would apply.
There is a theory that there are vibrations associated with a ghostly
presence that could result in the same sort of physical effects.
Now I would like to open up your readers' thinking to some other
possibilities. Glass may be blown or molded into shape. Usually, the
molded glass tends to have thicker walls than the blown glass. During
the process(es) of heating and cooling the glass used to create the
final shape may contain unresolved stresses. At some point as the glass
ages and loses its original plasticity the stresses will be released and
the glass may shatter quite noisily and dramatically. In other instances
the glass will begin to develop small cracks which gradually become
larger and larger or will form a "crazed pattern" on some portion of the
surface. The culprit for these conditions might be that the glass was
cooled too quickly or microscopic bubbles were trapped in the material
as it was formed. In any case there are additional non-paranormal
reasons why a glass would shatter unexpectedly.
There are also some very good reasons why a glass object might be
shattered by psychic forces or some unusual combination of
electromagnetic forces. I will save the examples of those for another
letter. What I would like to suggest is that when your readers become
aware of a case in which a brittle object has shattered, that they treat
it as a paranormal event and take the following investigative steps.

1. Note the location, people present, and circumstances of the
occurrence. Also try to determine the source and age of the glass?

2. Draw a careful picture/diagram of the area showing the point where
the object shattered and the distribution pattern of each of the pieces
including their distance away from the origin point.

3. Note the size of the pieces. ex., Was the object entirely or only
partially destroyed? Were the pieces fairly large or was the object more
or less reduced to pile of small pieces? Did the large pieces fly some
distance from the origin or just drop down over the origin point? Were
the edges and shapes of the pieces quite jagged or mostly rounded or
something in between?
4. Note whether there were any psychics, young people, or emotionally
troubled individuals present at the time of the shattering.

5. Note whether there were any strong emotions being expressed during or
just prior to the event.

6. Note whether there was any evidence of ghostly activity just prior to
the event and what that evidence consisted of, specifically?

7. Carefully collect ALL the pieces and place them in an envelope or
other safe container where they will not be damaged further nor be able
to injure anyone.

8. From that point the glass and the characteristics of the event should
be analyzed from several perspectives and a budget set up to cover the
planned expenses.

Should any of your readers think they have evidence of a shattering
from a case that might deserve an investigation for paranormal causes
please have them contact me at "sol-@hotmail.com".
Regards,
David

_________________

ANNOUNCEMENTS
_________________

From Billy York at: true-@classicnet.net

Paranormal Web Hosting
We would like to offer a new service to the paranormal community.
Quality web hosting at an affordable price. Please stop by and check out
what we have to offer today.
Paranormal Web Hosting at: "http://www.paranormalhosting.com"
***

Paranormal Investigations based is in Mobile, Alabama. However, we
travel and have groups located throughout the country. Our website
offers ghost hunting equipment at the lowest prices, brief description
of paranormal terms used, schedule of events, newsletter, polls, picture
submissions hunt & investigation photo's constantly posted, etc.
Email:
Founder at: “le-@southernalabamaparanormalinvestigations.com"
Membership: va-@southernalabamaparanormalinvestigations.com"
Website: "http://southernalabamaparanormalinvestigations.com"
***

From: History & Hauntings at: ttay-@prairieghosts.com"

Changes are coming to Whitechapel Press and the Ghosts of the Prairie
website in celebration of our tenth anniversary in April. Check out the
information below:

1. HISTORY & HAUNTINGS.COM - You will see a big change when you log onto
the website as we officially become History & Hauntings. Com, the home
of Ghosts of the Prairie and the American Ghost Society. With the
expansions that we have planned, plus the resurrection of the print
magazine, we thought it was time to take things one step further and
expand our name as well. The new website domain of
"http://www.historyandhauntings.com" will still take the browser
directly to GHOSTS OF THE PRAIRIE but for most people, it is (kind of
sadly) easier to spell. And in addition, we have discovered that if you
misspell the current web address by just a little, it take you directly
to a porn site! Lovely thing to find out, huh? So take a look at the
website when you get time and see the changes!

2. GHOSTS OF THE PRAIRIE PRINT MAGAZINE -- As we have already announced,
the resurrection of our print magazine will take place in April as well!
We are very excited about this and have
already lined up authors Rosemary Ellen Guiley, Alan Brown, Dave Goodwin
and others for the first issue. We now have more information about the
print magazine on the website (along with the
first new cover) at "https://www.prairieghosts.com/magazine.html" and we
are still looking for writers and contributors for future issues. If you
would like to get a copy of our writers guidelines, drop me an email at
"ttay-@prairieghosts.com" and I will get them sent
out to you!

3. DOWN IN THE DARKNESS --- The Shadowy History of Americas Haunted
Mines, Tunnels & Caverns - is coming as well! The new book by Troy
Taylor (and the third installment in the History &
Hauntings Series) will take a look at not only legends and lore of this
particularly chilling spots but first hand accounts and real hauntings
too. This is the first book ever written on this subject and it
will be a must-have for anyone's ghost book collection. Signed,
numbered, limited edition copies of the book will be available to order
in early April -- so keep an eye out for that!

AND MORE TO COME -- we are pulling out all of the stops for our landmark
anniversary, so keep an eye out for surprises that are still coming!
***

From: Brandy at: "stark_-@hotmail.com"

The SPIRITS site has been updated for the month. We have a new poll up
with a theory on the affects computers are having on ghosts. You can add
your opinion through a vote by going to the homepage
(Polls are posted at the bottom of the page.).
Also, a new ghost article and investigation is up. Check out the results
from N. Himes Avenue investigation at:
"http://centralflghosts.homestead.com/NHimesAve.html"
***

American Paranormal Pages:
A nation-wide webzine designed for those with an interest in the
paranormal! This paranormal webzine features informative articles,
entertaining stories, regular columns, news items, photo contests,
reader submission stories, spirit photography, paranormal entertainment,
upcoming events, paranormal links and classified ad spaces just to name
a few things!
All paranormal enthusiasts are encouraged to write and share paranormal
experiences and/or photos. Submissions are welcomed and if the writer
would like, credited to his or her name. Have a special event coming up?
If you belong to a ghost-hunting group and have something special you’d
like to announce, write to us and tell us about it. We offer free
courtesy space for paranormal groups to feature conferences or events
that they may want to get the word out about.
View American Paranormal Pages at
"http://www.americanparanormalpages.com/" while you are there, you can
sign yourself up to receive future free issues of the webzine.

______________

FEATURE STORY
_______________

Haunted house?
By Stacy J Braunn,
Staff Writer, Wapakoneta Daily
October 17, 2002
All copyrights acknowledged

Ghosts are said to have roamed the halls of Fryburg¹s old poultry
house. The horse-driven carriages of Sunday church-goers no longer
stroll by to pick up the weekly groceries. There are no maidens in
corsets and lace, nor gentlemen to have their chickens dressed.
But the old poultry house in Fryburg stands erect, fully intact and
structurally sound. And despite conclusions that the house is
paranormally vacant and always has been, many wonder whether the estate,
which was built in 1860 by John P. Brockert, still houses the bitter
spirit of a past ownerwho¹s clutch on the home is everlasting.
Former resident of the house, which was broken into apartments in 194,
and former Wapakoneta Daily News reporter Pam Karbowiak wrote a
first-hand account of the haunting when she accompanied two psychic
investigators to the house more than 15 years ago.
While she lived in the apartment complex, which sits across from the
St. John Catholic Church in Fryburg on Van Buren Street, Karbowiak
experienced some odd occurrences, she said, “I could feel when there
were people in the room who weren¹t supposed to be there,” she said
during a recent interview. “I used to call them gremlins
until I found out what they were.”
“They used to pound or walk, you¹d hear them, or knock things over;
they were children who had been lost and they were playing,” she said.
During her investigation in 1987 with Rich Strong, a retired Air Force
Major and president of Psychic Science International Inc., and Kathleen
Cook, psychic and medium, Karbowiak witnessed dozens of souls in the old
house, who the investigators felt got lost there after dying in the old
underground railroad that leads up to the basement, she said. “We
actually saw a little black boy in purple pantaloons, about 6 or 7 years
old, who had gotten lost,‘ Karbowiak said, explaining that she felt only
those with a psychic inclination could see the spirits in the house.
“Once they knew it was OK, that all the people they knew and loved had
moved on, it was OK for them to go.” The souls were allegedly freed
after the spirit of an Indian girl, who had been on a decades-long
search for the baby that she lost when she died in childbirth, was
reunited with her child in heaven, according to the investigators.
As the story goes, the Indian girl had been a slave, sexually and
manually, to an old man, who had strong ties to the house because he
used to own it. The old man, who was rumored to be a revered member of
the community, a husband and a father, was enraged that the dwelling had
been divided into apartments. He wanted to be in control of the house
and everything in it, Karbowiak said.
“Where¹s my baby? He took my baby. I hunted and hunted and it¹s not
here. Did he kill my baby? I wasn¹t around to see. Where¹s my baby?” the
Indian girl said, according to Karbowiak¹s story, as the girl spoke
through Cook during the investigation years ago.
The psychics felt that the old man had repeatedly raped and beaten the
girl, causing her to become pregnant with a half-bred, illegitimate
child that shamed him. When the girl hemorrhaged during delivery, the
man took the baby, put it in an old flour bag and stuffed it somewhere
in the house, they said.
When Cook allowed the Indian girl to communicate through her mortal
body, the girl was able to understand that her baby had died and that
she was dead as well. Finally, she was freed from the old man and the
brutality she had endured during her living years and in this relentless
purgatory within the house. It also is rumored that the old man abused
many other girls and worked them as prostitutes in the house.
“After she went on, all the spirits who had been held in the house
began to leave in boats,” Karbowiak said, adding that it appeared as
though the boats came down from above, the people loaded in and they
were taken up into the clouds.“ The old man had control of the Indian
girl and of everything in the house. “We took away his power, which
angered the man," she said, “adding that the spirit of the old man was
ranting and raving as the spirits were leaving.”
Karbowiak described him as looking like a ragged, old fur trader. At
5-foot, 5-inches tall, the bitter fellow with a scruffy beard and a
rickety hunch about his stature, was wearing a beat up cowboy hat. “He
was cussing up a storm and had no respect for anybody,” she said. “He
wanted everything his way.”
Laura Meyer, Karbowiak¹s neighbor while living at the apartment
complex, which is now owned by Tim and Ruth Coil of Fryburg, said her
daughter, 3 years old at the time, would wake up in the middle of the
night with soaking-wet sheets, but her pajamas would be completely dry.
“Mom, keep that old man away from me,” Karbowiak said the little girl
would plead to her mother.
Laura Meyer¹s mother witnessed a horse saddle that used to hang on the
banister of the stairs float down to the end of a banister, not just
slide down, Karbowiak said. That same banister, which is housed in the
northwest apartment of the complex, is decorated with a horse saddle by
its current residents, as witnessed by the Wapakoneta Daily News
recently.
The granddaughter of former owner John Gutman, who asked not to be
identified, said she saw the old man several times before selling the
house in the mid 1970s. As the woman walked up the old stairs recently,
remembering where she grew up and where she had raised her children, she
pointed to a full-length window at the end of long hallway, which was
cascaded with mystical sheers that filtered light and brightened the
upstairs. This was where the old man appeared to her and her children.
“We probably only saw him about five or six times the whole time we
lived here,“ she said. “It¹s not like we saw him everyday.“ The woman¹s
family lived in the dwelling for generations, since her
grandfather purchased it in the early 1900s. The sightings of the old
man when she was an adult were the only paranormal activity known to
her. “I’ve never been scared to live here,“ she said. ‘There¹s is
nothing scary about this place.”
Although there have been no reported sightings of any ghostly spirits
in recent years, Karbowiak feels the old man continues to walk the halls
of the apartment.
Some say the old man committed suicide because of his shame of what he
did to the Indian girl, but the former reporter begs to differ.
“Pendleton (a spirit) told Strong that the man could not go because he
had died horribly something about hanging or water and hanging,“
Karbowiak reported in her story years ago. “I never sensed that he hung
himself or committed suicide,“ Karbowiak said. “He didn¹t die
voluntarily because he had no remorse for what he did. I bet with the
creek being right behind the house that a mob found out what
he was doing to those girls and they hung him from a tree by the water;
there¹s water and hanging.”

____________

SEEKING INFORMATION
___________

email the senders.
***
From: Alzhei-@aol.com

What about Phoenix AZ.? Nothing that I can find......Prescott, Az has a
couple of supposed ghosts, but I think Phoenix is to new. Anyone have a
suggestion or a story in this area?
(Editor’s note: Be sure to see next week’s newsletter for a review of
the book “Haunted Arizona” written by: Ellen Robson)
***

From Kristi at: dizzymis-@yahoo.com

I just recently moved to Jackson, Mississippi, and I
was hoping to find a ghosthunting group in the
Jackson/Vicksburg area, or anywhere in this general
part of the state.

___________

TRUE STORIES
___________

Submitted by Nancy, Rahway NJ

I used to live in a 4 family house in Rahway. From the minute you walked
into the apartment, you could feel the hairs on the back of your neck
stand up and knew there was a presence there. My cats used to jump up
and play with unseen strings. I would put things down, walk away, come
back and they would be gone. I would search the apartment only to find
them in the exact same spot I left them in. I was putting on makeup one
day and dropped my brush. I bent down to pick it up. When I stood back
up my eyeshadow was gone. I later found it Behind the dresser drawer in
the back between the drawer and the back of the dresser! One night I was
woken up because the room was so cold. I looked up to find a nurse, in
an old pinafore type uniform and old style nursing cap, holding a candle
and tucking us in! I jumped out of the covers and on top of my husband!
He thought I was crazy! I researched the origins of the house I was
living in and found out it was the original nurses annex for the Rahway
Hospital! They now have on display an old nurses uniform in the hallway
of the hospital- which is exact same uniform "my nurse" was wearing! She
never scared me again. I figured if she was tucking us in, she was
looking out for us! But we always knew the spirits that were in the
house were friendly!

___________

UPCOMING EVENTS
___________

For complete details of all events this year please visit:
"http://www.haunted-places.com/tours.htm"

Upcoming events for April are:

Candlelight Walking Tour
April 4
History & Hauntings Tour of spirited sites in old downtown Alton
Lasts approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Cost is $15 per person.
More info at: "http://www.prairieghosts.com/tours.html"
***
Storytelling from the Brandywine to the Bay
Tuesday, April 8 at 7 p.m.,
Claymont, Del. library
Presented by Ed Okonowicz
For more info call: 302 798-6973
***
Storytelling from the Brandywine to the Bay
Thursday, April 10 at7 p.m.
Bear, Del. library.
Presented by Ed Okonowicz
For more info call:302 838-3300
***
Second Annual Ghost Hunters Conference
Saturday, April 12, 2003
Governors Ballroom, Radison, Penn Harris in Camp Hill, Pa.
If you are interested in attending reserve your seat NOW.
For more info contact Kelly Weaver at: "Weav-@aol.com
***
Spirits of the Civil War
April 15 at 7 pm
Prairie Commons Library, St. Louis, Missouri
With Troy Taylor, including haunted battlefields, prisons and haunts of
Abraham Lincoln.
For more info, send email to: "ttay-@prairieghosts.com"
***
Special Ghost Hunter's Tour
April 26
A special edition of the History & Hauntings Tour that includes not only
the ghost tour, but also a one-hour presentation by author Troy Taylor
about the secrets of ghost hunting. The evening lasts approximately 4
hours. Cost is $40 per person.
More info at: "http://www.prairieghosts.com/tours.html"
***
West Virginia State Penitentiary Ghost Hunt
April 18th
Moundsville, West Virginia
For more info contact John or Lisa at: "jo-@majda.net"
or visit their website at: "http://www.majda.net/"

___________
TOURS & SHOWS
___________

Gettysburg Civil War Era Theater is a live, one man show featuring a
Civil War Era Magic Show, an "old timer" who talks about life as a
civilian in Gettysburg at the time of the great battle and shares some
of the more popular ghost stories which have been associated with the
town and concludes with a theatrical recreation of a civil war era
seance.
The program has been skillfully choreographed by magician, actor &
author Joe Kerrigan to be educational as well as entertaining.
Affordably priced for the entire family tickets are $17.95 for Adults,
$10.95 12 and under. Shows nightly at 7:00PM.
Best Inn
301 Steinwehr Ave.
Gettysburg, Pa.
(717) 642-9215
Website: http://civilwartheater.com

***
Downtown Orlando Florida
8pm EVERY Saturday
90 minute lantern lead walking tours of historic downtown Orlando. Cost
is $10 per person. Orlando's ORIGINAL Ghost Tour departs from
Guinevere's Coffeehouse (on the corner of Pine and Magnolia).
Website: http://www.orlandohauntings.com
Email: Webma-@Orlandohauntings.com
Phone: 407-992-1200

***
Simply Spooky! (tm)
200 years in 2 hours!
Join us on this Ghostly Ghost Walk and Tour of the Historic Town of
Burlington, Ontario (Canada) where we explore 200 years of history in 2
hours. Informative, educational and accurate accounts of the history
makers from early 1700's to the present. Conducted by Patrick Cross,
Canada's top ghost researcher.
2003 Season is June 1st - November 10th
Cost: $10.00 for adults, $2.00 for children 10-16 years of age.
Email: sci-@globalserve.net
Website: http://www.globalserve.net/~scifi/latestnews.htm
Phone: 416-201-4670

***
Haunts of the World's Most Famous Beach
Daytona Beach Florida
7:30pm EVERY Thursday-Sunday
We offer three different 90 minute lantern lead walking tours of
historic downtown Daytona Beach and Deland:

The Original Ghost Walk departs from the northwest corner of Main St &
Peninsula Dr. (Friday & Saturday)

The Riverfront Park Walk departs from the northeast corner of Orange
Ave. & Beach St. (Thursday & Sunday)

The Deland Ghost Walk departs from the corner of Woodland Blvd. &
Indiana Ave. (Friday &Saturday)

Cost is$8.00 per person. Proceeds from these tours help benefit our
research and our two cemetery preservation & restoration projects. This
is the first ghost tour in Florida that is owned and operated by a
certified ghost hunter and active certified paranormal researcher.
Website: http://www.hauntsofdaytona.com
Email: hauntsof-@aol.com
Phone: (386) 253-6034

____________

INTERNET RADIO PROGRAMS:
____________

The "Exploring Unexplained Phenomena" radio program is on KZUM 89.3 FM,
Lincoln, NE, and has been on-air every Saturday morning since 1984, 10 -
11:30 am Central Time. The station phone number during the program only:
402-474-5086. The host is Scott H. Colborn, Email:
kcol-@inebraska.com
Website is: http://www.thewayhomestore.com

***
Jeff Rense: Listen at : http://www.sightings.com/
Mon. - Fri. at 7pm to 10 pm Pacific time
Sat. at 9pm to 3am Pacific time
Sun. at 8pm to 11pm Pacific time

***
http://www.pawebcast.cc/

Live every Wednesdays from 8 to 9pm EST.
Listen at:
http://www.pawebcast.com/visions/visions_from_the_other_side.htm

***
The Lou Gentile Show