Welcome Guest!
 Haunted Places
 Apr 20, 2003 07:26 PDT

THE HAUNTED PLACES REPORT

Founded by: Dennis William Hauck
Edited by: Rev. Ronald E. Beach
Email: Edi-@haunted-places.com
Website: http://www.Haunted-Places.com

editor.

04/22/03

_____________

FROM THE EDITOR
_____________

Please visit our website at: Haunted-Places.com and let us know your
thoughts & comments. Anything you like to see added to the site? All
items should be emailed to us at: Webma-@haunted-places.com

_____________

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
_____________

We invite your letters to the editor. Tell us how you feel about things
in the newsletter or in the ghost hunting community. All letters must be
accompanied by an email address so other readers can respond to you.

***
I just came from the 2nd Annual Independent Ghost Hunter's Conference
in Camp Hill, Pa. hosted by Kelly Weaver. It was outstanding to say the
least. Everyone I talked to had a great time. The night before, I
hosted a ghost walk at the Carlisle Barracks military base in Carlisle,
Pa. The walk went great. Everyone seemed to have a wonderfully fun time.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the ghost walk and special thanks to
Kelly and John Weaver and all the volunteers for putting the conference
together. I can't wait for next year. I am sure it will be just as great
if not better.
Question, does anyone else who attended the conference have any
comments?
Allen Campbell
Author of the book "Ghosts at Carlisle Barracks"
Email: ajrc-@aol.com

Editor’s reply: I’m sorry that I was not able to attend this year’s
conference but certainly plan to be there next year. If you attended
send us your comments (good or bad). We’ll post them here and forward
them on to Kelly & John. I’m sure they’d love to hear your thoughts and
ideas!

_________________

ANNOUNCEMENTS
_________________

From: aya-@hep.hubbell.com

There is a very haunted house in South Bend, Indiana - Raven House.
This building used to be the Conservatory of Music and is a one hundred
year old house. It has rich history of paranormal events.    There are
at least 6 spirits that call Raven House home. Two small child, 2 old
ladies, a young man & older man, a teenager (female). This home was
considered to be turned into a bed and breakfast but that is
questionable due to the activity within the structure.

***
From: Tammy at: phfr-@cablerocket.com

Around last Halloween the Topeka Capital Journal newspaper, in Topeka,
Kansas did a lot of interesting articles on the cemeteries and buildings
in Topeka and the surrounding area that are haunted. Call them or e-mail
them. They are really interesting!

***
RESURRECTED AFTER MORE THAN 3 YEARS!
With the launch of the website -- Ghosts of the Prairie -- back in
1997, we also started a new print magazine to explore the most haunted
places, and the strangest unsolved mysteries, in
American history. Unfortunately though, in late 1999, the magazine
folded due to rising print and postage costs. But now, more than three
years later, we have resurrected the magazine and it's back with all new
stories, new authors, new features and articles and now -- in full color
throughout! Don't miss the new incarnation of the acclaimed magazine --
Available starting in April 2, 2003!

Issue Number 12 -- the first new issue in three years -- will include
authors like Rosemary Ellen Guiley, Troy Taylor, Dale Kaczmarek, David
Goodwin, Alan Brown and others! Delve into the mysteries of the Mad
Gasser of Mattoon, The Flaming Ghost, A night in the Lemp Caverns, the
Blue Man of the St. Louis Arsenal, Mysteries of Mt. Shasta -- and much
more. $4.95

AVAILABLE TO ORDER & SUBSCRIBE NOW!
Individual Issues Available -- $4.95 (plus $1.50 shipping / handling)
One Year (6 Issues) Subscriptions Available -- $35 per year (postage
included)

Call toll-free to order or subscribe at 1-888-446-7859 or online at
"https://www.prairieghosts.com/magazine.html"

(Editors: I just received the April issue. I’m very impressed with the
quality of the magazine and it’s contents. Read it from cover to cover
as soon as I received it!)

***
Author D.B. Lyn will be in the Cincinnati, Ohio area from May 15th to
the 18th looking for true ghost stories from the area for a her next
book. An ad will be running in area newspapers or you can contact her
at: jjfe-@valunet.com

______________

FEATURE STORY
_______________

What to Expect When Visiting a Psychic or Medium
Written by Kelly L. Weaver at: Weav-@aol.com

There are many illusions about readings from Psychics and Mediums.
First let me explain the difference between the two. A Psychic is
someone who is able to read your energy. That energy is your soul. Your
soul is the true energy of you made in the image of God. A Psychic needs
to respect your energy, which means that they respect you as a person. A
Medium is someone who can make a connection with the spirit world and
give you messages from your loved ones, spirit guides or angels. A
Medium is a "secretary" of the spirit world; A "go between" so to speak.
Psychics get a bad name due to the "Psychic Hotlines" which are made up
of telemarketers whose sole purpose is to make money. They are no more
psychic than my doorknob. Yes, there may be one or two that are
legitimate, but I would not waste any of my time or hard earned money
calling these cash traps. You may see late night infomercials touting a
wonderful psychic with flashing phone numbers at the bottom of your
screen and endorsements from C- list celebrities telling you to call now
for your free reading! Infomercials are done entirely from a script and
the audience members are actors. Miss Cleo is perhaps the best example
of these who has been proven a fraud! We really don't wear turbans and
speak with a fake accent or charge outlandish prices by the minute!
If a Psychic tells you they can pick lottery numbers, a big sign saying
FAKE should be flashing across their forehead! If they could, don't you
think they would be picking them for themselves? Any psychic who tells
you they can light candles, burn incense, or perform a spell to bring
back a love to you or to solve any other of your problems is only after
your money. Don't give it to them, and get the heck out of there.
Each of us has what is called "free will." We are free to choose our
thoughts, our life, the people we want to be with, etc. Therefore, no
amount of candles, incense or spells that can make a person go against
their own free will. I'm not criticizing the use of rituals or spells,
but you can work with your own angels, saints, guides and your concept
of God to draw into your life situations that are RIGHT FOR YOU.
Remember that phrase when asking for things -- draw into your life what
is right FOR YOU. When doing this you don't get what you think you want,
you get what you need.
A good psychic will always encourage you to follow your true path. This
is very important to remember. They should not forecast doom and gloom.
Yes, sometimes we do see some negativity ahead of you, however, it
should always be pointed out to the client that things can change and
you do have options in your life.
No psychic is 100% accurate. We have bad days or times when our
energies are low. A good Psychic or Medium will reschedule your
appointment so you can receive the best advice or message from beyond
that you deserve.
Most reputable psychics and mediums do not need to advertise. Word of
mouth is sufficient. That is how I do most of my business. True Psychics
and Mediums should be treated as professionals, and those who genuinely
wish to make a loving connection to the spirit world or have guidance
with their path should try to fit their schedule around the appointment
time allocated by the "reader."
Make sure when you arrive for your appointment that you are comfortable
at the home or office and you feel safe in your surroundings. If the
place is dark, creepy or looks like the Addams family, hit the trail! If
you are feeling uneasy about the lighting, or temperature, ask the
reader to change it and most likely they will. The reader should make
you feel at ease from the moment you enter their place of business. The
lighting should be comfortable and they should look you in the eye.
Avoid people who wear dark glasses or won't look at you at all.
I always tell people to throw the pillows on the floor, take their
shoes off if they want to, curl up and then I tell them how I operate. I
offer them something to drink and ask if they are OK before I even
begin. If you are not comfortable, the reading will be off and you may
leave disappointed. I still laugh when people tell me I'm so "normal
looking." I teasingly warn them that my head will spin later in the
session. It seems to break the ice and is guaranteed to get a good
laugh. I'm sure they were expecting a little dark haired lady wearing a
turban and gaudy jewelry and sporting a hairy lip, so there is a big
sigh of relief!
I read about one lady who went to see a medium and her first encounter
was nerve wracking. As she approached the home she could see that the
grass was overgrown and the grounds very untidy. She felt a cold chill
run down her neck. She tried to ignore her surroundings as she walked to
the front door of the house. She nervously knocked on the door and
thought "Oh my God, this is making me nervous." Just then she heard an
old ladies croaky voice call out "Come in!" This was all too much for
her and she stood shaking, wondering if she should go in or run away.
Just then a black cat crossed her path, and she hightailed it out to her
car and never looked back. Trust your gut I always say!
This is a serious and responsible business. Make sure you do not offer
the Medium or Psychic any personal information. People can pass general
comments when entering new surroundings and body language can easily be
read by a skilled reader. Sometimes un-genuine readers can hold on to
these comments and play on the emotions and vulnerability of a sad
person. I recommend that you are not completely disconnected or
"switched off" from the reader, as a genuine psychic or medium will not
exploit you. It is important for us to hear your voice during the
reading. A simple yes or no will do. Try to be open and receptive. Good
mediums and psychics will sound positive and give you positive and clear
information and you will feel a loving energy radiating from them.
Messages given to you ought to be easily understood and precise, and
the reader should not mind you asking questions throughout the session.
When visiting a Medium, it is crucial that the information given to you
is being gathered from the higher planes where our loved ones reside.
There have been reported incidents where a medium may start a reading
positively, passing on significant messages, and a few moments later
divert or slip onto a negative vibrational plane offering devastating
and upsetting news for the client. Our higher self does not carry an
ego, and mediums should not allow their ego to take over -- to direct
the conversations to themselves. The reader should be expected to act
professionally, realizing that the client has come to seek guidance,
reassurance, and valuable information regarding his or her personal life
pathway and to connect with their loved ones on the other side.
Most readers will offer you a tape recording of your session because
they trust the information they are receiving and relaying to you. This
is a good idea because important messages can be misinterpreted or
missed at the session. It is always helpful to be able to review it at a
later date. I encourage people to listen to the reading a few months
later. I have pages of testimonials from clients and it reinforces that
I am a good at what I do, which is listening to my inner voice and
relaying messages without "Kelly" getting in the way. This does take
quite a bit of practice and you must not edit what comes through. I find
this especially true for the After Death readings. I hear some really
silly things and part of me is telling myself, "you can't say that!" and
when I do, it is the very thing that confirms it is in fact their loved
one communicating through me to them. I have some great stories from
these experiences!
Sometimes a spirit is so eager to make contact with a loved one they
appear to me hours or even days ahead of time. One young man came to me
at four in the morning leaning on my bed. "Hey, I'm off duty" I shouted
to him. When I woke up later, I wrote what he looked like on a piece of
paper. As it turns out, his sister was scheduled for a reading later
that day and after seeing his photos, I brought the paper to her with
the description and it was the spitting image of him.
The Spirits seem to be in charge of my date book. I've had many clients
who I unknowingly scheduled the appointment time during an anniversary
or birthday of the departed. It never ceases to amaze me.
When you leave your appointment with a medium you should walk away with
a lasting and loving memory of an experience that you hold close to your
heart forever - an experience that will leave little doubt that there is
in fact, a life hereafter.
When you leave your appointment with a Psychic you should feel good
about where you are headed and the choices that are out there for you.
Here are some additional tips to use when visiting a Psychic or Medium:

~ Remember, a psychic reading is about your own personal development.
They should be able to help you to see the forest from the trees.

~ If you are struggling with something in your life, then the psychic
should be able to assist you to be able to walk away with thoughts to
ponder.

~ No psychic has all the answers and sometimes cannot see things. If
this is the case, they should be honest with you and say so.

~ Their guidance is telling you what you are doing right in your life
and where you need to make a shift. Then it is up to you as to what you
do with it.

~ A good psychic can only guide you, not direct you.

~ A reader should also be able to tell you of any obstacles that lay
ahead of you by putting things in a more clear perspective. Then your
choices can be made with better information.

~ Remember, only the 10 Commandments are written in stone; we can always
change the outcome of what a psychic tells us. So do not get fearful if
they say something that upsets you. That upset is a great opportunity to
change something in your life.

~ The psychic or medium should be able to provide you with testimonials
from other clients. Remember that word of mouth is a good way to choose
a reader.

~ Since we do read your energy, if you are skeptical, please don't waste
your money on a reading. No matter how good a psychic is, your skeptical
energy will prohibit the psychic from tuning in on you! Then you will
walk away with less money saying "See I knew all psychics were fakes,"
Go in with an open mind. You want your money's worth don't you?

~ If you not comfortable with the reader, say so. This happens. We have
all met people we did not like right from the start. We would be happy
to refer you to someone else.

~ If a psychic says something that is not clear, then ask. It is all
right. If they get upset then ask for a refund and leave.

~ The most important thing is -- if you don't want to hear the truth,
DON'T ASK!

Reliable readers are here to help you along your life's path. It is not
an easy job but it is very rewarding to see the happiness that comes
over a client when we are done. I always ask for a big hug before they
leave. Sometimes that is the only one they have had in a while and it is
a nice way to end our session.
Good luck in selecting your next Psychic or Medium. We should expect
the best, and so, live that the best may become part of our experience.

____________

GHOST HUNTING TIPS
___________

The below questions & answer plus the photo tip come from the Southern
Alabama Paranormal Investigations Newsletter.
Visit their Website and subscribe at:
http://www.southernalabamaparanormalinvestigations.com

Question: I am very interested in Ghosthunting but am scared of the
dark. Any suggestions? huntinginlight-OH
Answer: : This German lady from a restaurant out of Oklahoma City, OK,
called "Haunted House," once told me "There is nothing there in the
dark, that isn't there in the light." This is a great saying and have
found it has helped soothe many people just like yourself. Including one
of our very own ghosthunters! I can offer you a couple of tips that may
also be of some help. Hope this helps! :) 1 Be sure to check out your
surroundings at the location you would like to hunt in the day - each
time you wish to go there! 2 There is nothing that says you cannot add a
little extra light here and there to better adjust your eyes. As long as
it doesn't get in the way of others work, photo's, EMF readings, etc.
And I am not saying that means go set up flood lights! That could cause
some major problems and is another advice column. If you are inside,
leave some lights on. It does not have to be completely dark. That is a
misconception people get when Ghosthunting. However, it will set the
mood. 3 We could strap a headlight on your head in front of your face!
LOL. On a serious note, I hope this helped somewhat.

Question: : I am new to ghost hunting and was wondering if you could
tell me, "where are the best places to start?" Abbylookin-VA
Answer: There are no guarantees in any place as you will surely find.
But if you are looking for a quick hunt that doesn't necessarily entail
a lot of "looking-up" in history class, I would suggest your local
cemetery. Most cemeteries have those that have chosen to stay behind and
I personally have gotten some of my best photo's, EMF readings, and EVP
from one particularly. Kali-Oka. Nevertheless, you are sure to catch at
least an orb or two at some point in time.

***
Shooting Pictures
By: Leya Schindler

Ever wonder why when you are ghost hunting you seem to get so hung up
in taking pictures, you never realize just how dark they can come out?
Yet others come out perfect? Well, for those less experienced with the
photography field, here are a few tips that may get you clearer, deeper,
and brighter pictures most of the time (that is if the ghost you are
trying to shoot doesn't absorb your light!).

~You should set your camera to slow shutter.

~ If you must shoot at a reflective source, try to shoot away from the
object rather than straight forward.

~ Make sure all flashlights, LED lights, thermal scanners, etc. are out
of view when shooting picture. (this can lead to mysterious lights,
orbs, reflections, etc. in your photo's).
~ Make sure, at all times, there is at least one item in your camera
that it can focus on when in darkness. It can be aiming partially
towards the ground, tree, tombstone, etc.
~ If you do not know your camera, get to know it! My personal camera has
so many electronic gadgets on it- it looks very intimidating. Really, it
isn't. Just get to know the basics. Some cameras even have different
color settings, preset, which are very convenient if you are not able to
manually do this.

In any case, all camera users get bad photo's. It's a fact! Practice
makes perfect. What better way to practice, than to take pictures of
something you love to do so much?!?!

___________

SEEKING INFORMATION
___________

email the senders.

***
From Julie at: jaded-@yahoo.com

I am looking for a group near Galesburg, Illinois if there is one I
would love to get involved.

***
From Lynnette at: Alexs-@aol.com

I saw in your newsletter a section for people searching out local
groups. I live in Haverhill, MA. and have been interested in the
paranormal since childhood.
I do have a pretty good assortment of my own psychic photos, but would
love to meet others to learn more about ghost hunting.
So, I'm looking for people in and around my area, which also could
include southern New Hampshire.

___________

TRUE STORIES
___________

From: gschwa-@mail1.myexcel.com

About a year ago I visited the beautiful and historical town of
Charleston, South Carolina. When I entered the town and I felt very at
ease and with a family history of paranormal interest and ability I knew
that this place was full of energy. Soon after arriving my sister and I
went out to look around, it was about 8 pm.
We were walking down a quiet, interesting and very empty street and
,when all of a sudden we heard a distinct whistling. We figured that it
was just someone whistling behind us and paid no mind to it.
We could hear the whistling approaching us. We were slightly freaked
out but we continued. About two minutes later the whistling seemed as if
it was right with us and was ahead of us. This was odd because no one
had passed us.
That night when we were back in the hotel I opened up a book that was
titled “Ghosts of Charleston” only to open to a page about "The
whistling Man" what a coincidence!
After this brief encounter I spent much of the time talking to natives
of Charleston and finding out the history. I got a lot of the same
response from many people. Charleston was and still is a busy place. I
also learned that long ago it was a very large area for pirates and many
of them were burned in the center of town, where now is a large
fountain.

___________

UPCOMING EVENTS
___________

For complete details of all events this year please visit:
"http://www.haunted-places.com/tours.htm"

Upcoming events for April are:

Special Ghost Hunter's Tour
April 26
A special edition of the History & Hauntings Tour that includes not only
the ghost tour, but also a one-hour presentation by author Troy Taylor
about the secrets of ghost hunting. The evening lasts approximately 4
hours. Cost is $40 per person.
More info at: "http://www.prairieghosts.com/tours.html"
***
West Virginia State Penitentiary Ghost Hunt
April 18th
Moundsville, West Virginia
For more info contact John or Lisa at: "jo-@majda.net"
or visit their website at: "http://www.majda.net/"

___________

TOURS & SHOWS
___________

Gettysburg Civil War Era Theater is a live, one man show featuring a
Civil War Era Magic Show, an "old timer" who talks about life as a
civilian in Gettysburg at the time of the great battle and shares some
of the more popular ghost stories which have been associated with the
town and concludes with a theatrical recreation of a civil war era
seance.
The program has been skillfully choreographed by magician, actor &
author Joe Kerrigan to be educational as well as entertaining.
Affordably priced for the entire family tickets are $17.95 for Adults,
$10.95 12 and under. Shows nightly at 7:00PM.
Best Inn
301 Steinwehr Ave.
Gettysburg, Pa.
(717) 642-9215
Website: http://civilwartheater.com

***
Downtown Orlando Florida
8pm EVERY Saturday
90 minute lantern lead walking tours of historic downtown Orlando. Cost
is $10 per person. Orlando's ORIGINAL Ghost Tour departs from
Guinevere's Coffeehouse (on the corner of Pine and Magnolia).
Website: http://www.orlandohauntings.com
Email: Webma-@Orlandohauntings.com
Phone: 407-992-1200

***
Simply Spooky! (tm)
200 years in 2 hours!
Join us on this Ghostly Ghost Walk and Tour of the Historic Town of
Burlington, Ontario (Canada) where we explore 200 years of history in 2
hours. Informative, educational and accurate accounts of the history
makers from early 1700's to the present. Conducted by Patrick Cross,
Canada's top ghost researcher.
2003 Season is June 1st - November 10th
Cost: $10.00 for adults, $2.00 for children 10-16 years of age.
Email: sci-@globalserve.net
Website: http://www.globalserve.net/~scifi/latestnews.htm
Phone: 416-201-4670

***
Haunts of the World's Most Famous Beach
Daytona Beach Florida
7:30pm EVERY Thursday-Sunday
We offer three different 90 minute lantern lead walking tours of
historic downtown Daytona Beach and Deland:

The Original Ghost Walk departs from the northwest corner of Main St &
Peninsula Dr. (Friday & Saturday)

The Riverfront Park Walk departs from the northeast corner of Orange
Ave. & Beach St. (Thursday & Sunday)

The Deland Ghost Walk departs from the corner of Woodland Blvd. &
Indiana Ave. (Friday &Saturday)

Cost is$8.00 per person. Proceeds from these tours help benefit our
research and our two cemetery preservation & restoration projects. This
is the first ghost tour in Florida that is owned and operated by a
certified ghost hunter and active certified paranormal researcher.
Website: http://www.hauntsofdaytona.com
Email: hauntsof-@aol.com
Phone: (386) 253-6034

____________

INTERNET RADIO PROGRAMS:
____________

The "Exploring Unexplained Phenomena" radio program is on KZUM 89.3 FM,
Lincoln, NE, and has been on-air every Saturday morning since 1984, 10 -
11:30 am Central Time. The station phone number during the program only:
402-474-5086. The host is Scott H. Colborn, Email:
kcol-@inebraska.com
Website is: http://www.thewayhomestore.com

***
Jeff Rense: Listen at : http://www.sightings.com/
Mon. - Fri. at 7pm to 10 pm Pacific time
Sat. at 9pm to 3am Pacific time
Sun. at 8pm to 11pm Pacific time

***
http://www.pawebcast.cc/

Live every Wednesdays from 8 to 9pm EST.
Listen at:
http://www.pawebcast.com/visions/visions_from_the_other_side.htm

***
The Lou Gentile Show