Welcome Guest!
 Haunted Places
 May 04, 2003 15:14 PDT

THE HAUNTED PLACES REPORT

Founded by: Dennis William Hauck
Edited by: Rev. Ronald E. Beach
Email: Edi-@haunted-places.com
Website: http://www.Haunted-Places.com

editor.

05/06/03

_____________

FROM THE EDITOR
_____________

Please visit our website at: Haunted-Places.com and let us know your
thoughts & comments. Anything you like to see added to the site? All
items should be emailed to us at: Webma-@haunted-places.com

***
Sorry about not putting a newsletter out last week. We called to have a
couple movie channels removed from our cable service and they ended up
disconnecting our internet access also. I don’t know why they can
disconnect in a few minutes but it takes several days and a visit from
the tech rep to get reconnected.

_____________

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
_____________

We invite your letters to the editor. Tell us how you feel about things
in the newsletter or in the ghost hunting community. All letters must be
accompanied by an email address so other readers can respond to you.

_________________

ANNOUNCEMENTS
_________________

Author D.B. Lyn will be in the Cincinnati, Ohio area from May 15th to
the 18th looking for true ghost stories from the area for a her next
book. An ad will be running in area newspapers or you can contact her
at: jjfe-@valunet.com

______________

FEATURE STORY
_______________

THE JACKSON, MICHIGAN POLTERGEIST
BY TROY TAYLOR
(C) Copyright 2002 ,All Rights Reserved. Used with permission
Although many researchers today often mistake the work of
"poltergeists" (noisy ghosts) as being nothing more than the unconscious
forces of disturbed persons at the location of the activity, some
happenings might not be so easy to explain away! In the past, all ghost
researchers assumed that the antics of haunted houses were the work of
spirits but as time progressed, it began to be realized that the human
mind was more complex that we ever imagined.
Some scientists and investigators began to show that some of the items
that moved around in houses, glasses that broke, doors that slammed and
other weird events that occurred were actually being controlled by
energy created by living persons. In some cases, disturbed, nervous or
anxious individuals who lived in the "haunted house" were unknowingly
causing outbreaks of activity to erupt.
Soon, this became a common theory in the paranormal field and cases
that seemed to involve ghosts were quickly found to be the work of
psychokinesis (PK) instead. But was this always the case? Were
researchers becoming too quick to jump to the conclusion that violent
and destructive cases were not ghostly in nature? Could some of the
strange and unusual cases that were first thought to involve overly
fraught teenagers actually involve the spirits of the dead instead?
Such was likely the case of a terrifying poltergeist who wreaked havoc
in a Jackson, Michigan home in the early 1960's. At first glance, the
house had all of the makings of a PK poltergeist case as there were two
teenagers living in the house (including a 13-year old girl) and the
makings of a tense situation. Perhaps the first thing that most
researchers noticed to be out of the ordinary though was the length of
time during which the activity occurred.
Author and investigator Nandor Fodor (one of the first paranormal
researcher to draw the links between human "agents" and poltergeist
activity) noted that most poltergeist cases have a lifetime of a few
weeks or even a month or two at the most. The aggressive energies needed
to cause objects to move about, break and be thrown are usually spent in
a short amount of time. It is very rare to hear of a human agent type of
poltergeist outbreak that lasts for very long, which is what makes the
Jackson, Michigan case so unique. The events in the home of the Victor
Lincoln family lasted for more than three years, beginning in 1959!
The events in the Lincoln home began quietly and without much fanfare.
In fact, the strange occurrences had been taking place for more than two
years before the residents realized that they were not simply the
targets of malicious burglars or vandals.
Frequently, they would return home to their empty house and find that
lamps had been overturned, bottles and cans were strewn about the
kitchen, light bulbs were broken, water was running and doors that had
been locked tight were standing open. Not surprisingly, the police were
called into investigate but they could find nothing out of the ordinary
and no signs that anyone had been in the house. The Lincoln's simply put
double locks on the doors and hoped whoever was targeting them would
stop. The locks failed to put an end to it though and they occasionally
returned home to find the place vandalized.
Then in October 1961, the Lincoln's began to realize that there was
something very strange going on in the house. The intruders, they
realized, were not anyone that the police could do anything about.
According to Victor Lincoln, the house was "spooked". The weird
happenings that had been plaguing the house in their absence were now
occurring when the family was home.
According to their later accounts, dishes and bottles were seen
hurtling through the room, moans came from the basement, heavy footsteps
endlessly paced back and forth through the house, doors opened and
closed, water spigots and gas jets turned on without assistance and
books would vanish from a bookcase in the house, only to reappear later
on beds, desks and chairs. This was not simply forgetfulness either -
occasionally, the piles of books would include 10-20 volumes!
As mentioned already, the Lincoln's seemed to have the "typical"
poltergeist outbreak going on, right down to the teenagers living in the
house. In 1962, the family consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln and the
three youngest of their six children. These included two sons, 15 and
22, and their daughter, Georgine, who was 13. As many human agent
poltergeist cases involve young women of this age, it is not surprising
that many wondered if the activity might stem from her. Thomas Lincoln,
age 15, was also in the house and while rare, young men have also been
known to be the unwitting agents of the phenomena. John Lincoln, 22, was
also living in the house. He had been discharged from the army in August
1961 and was still unemployed and still living in the house the
following summer.
Even aside from the length of the haunting though, the activity in the
house would soon no longer be thought of as a typical case. One evening,
John and his mother were seated in the living room reading when they
heard the loud noise of someone walking up the basement steps to the
kitchen. The footsteps came to a halt and were then following by the
terrific pounding of someone on the other side of the door. Thomas ran
in from his bedroom, convinced that someone was trying to break into the
house. Mrs. Lincoln quickly grabbed his shotgun and opened the door to
see who was there. He found no one in the basement! Even after
descending the steps into the cellar, he didn't notice anything
peculiar. Apparently, his dog, who had accompanied him down the steps,
did notice something strange however. The animal immediately began to
whine, his hair stood up and he ran back upstairs.
From that day, until the day they moved out, they knew no more peace in
the house. But what could have changed things from infrequent happenings
to almost constant activity? The Lincoln's came to believe that it was
all connected to their decision to move out of the place. They became
convinced that the activity in the house was caused by a former
resident, likely a Lincoln family member, as the home had been occupied
by several generations of the family, dating back to 1912. At about the
same time the phenomena increased in frequency, the Lincoln's had
decided to put the house on the market and sell it. Could the restless
spirit have been protesting the family's intention to sell the house?
The Lincoln's certainly felt this to be the case and saw the activity
not only increase, but become much worse. Heavy footsteps and moaning
sounds constantly echoed through the house and bottles and glasses
frequently flew from pantry shelves and shattered on the floor. Although
no one was every really hurt by the spirited projectiles, Mrs. Lincoln
was once nicked in the leg by a flying paring knife and was slightly
injured. She stated that the knife had been securely closed away in a
kitchen drawer just before the incident, which took place when she was
home alone one afternoon. She was lying on the couch in the living room
when the knife hurtled from the kitchen (across the dining room) and cut
her leg.
The Christmas holiday that came just before the Lincoln's moved out was
especially harrowing for the family. They managed to keep their tree up
for only two days out of the season. One night they were all in the
living room when the lights suddenly flew off the tree and scattered
about the house. Bulbs and tinsel joined the lights and soon the living
room, and the tree, were wrecked. "That was enough for us," Mrs. Lincoln
later explained, "and the tree came down!"
Harry Kellar, a Jackson County police officer who was not acquainted
with the Lincoln's, came to visit after he heard about the strange
goings-on in their house from other officers. Kellar went to the house
as a skeptic but later told newspaper reporters that something odd was
going on in the place. He admitted that he was still not certain that
there was not a reasonable explanation for what he had seen, but he
described an incident when everyone was sitting in the living room
talking and they heard water suddenly pouring from the tap in the
bathroom. A little while later, they all smelled gas and discovered that
the gas jets had been turned on in the empty kitchen, although there was
no flame. Kellar told reporters: "I do know this... I was keeping track
of everyone and we were all in the living room when the water went on
and the gas jets opened."
Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Gingras, friends of the Lincoln's and soon
acquaintances of Kellar, also recalled water and gas turning on when
they were at the house. On another occasion, they were at the house and
were waiting for Kellar to join them. Mr. Gingras had just talked to
Kellar and he expected to arrive at the Lincoln house in about 15
minutes. However, after only a minute or two, everyone who was present
heard his footsteps as they came up onto the porch. "We heard the steps
at the same instant because we each turned to the other and remarked
that Harry had arrived sooner than we expected," Mrs. Gingras later
explained. "But when Vic and my husband went to the door there was no
one there. And though the porch was covered with new snow, there were no
footprints." When Kellar arrived a short time later, the only footprints
that marked the porch were his own!
Newspaper reporter Raymond Meagher also came to the Lincoln house as a
skeptic. Like many others, he assumed that the Lincoln's "haunted house"
was either a hoax, that they were the victims of cruel pranksters or
that they had been victimized by their overactive imaginations. He
eventually spent about 10 hours (on three separate occasions) in the
house. The first two times, both during the daylight hours, nothing
strange occurred. However, on the third trip, which extended from about
7:30 PM to midnight, he finally realized that there was more going on at
the home than he could have ever expected!
Meagher brought along four people with him that night and along with
the Lincoln's and four of their children, all of them sat in the dining
and living rooms, talking and watching television. Suddenly, Mr. Lincoln
stated that he heard water running and several of them
went into the bathroom, where water was pouring from one of the taps.
Meagher was certain that everyone present was in the other room when the
water began to run. Less than a hour later, one of the observers
reported smelling oil. The group again left the living and dining rooms
and went to the rear bedroom, where the smell of oil was very strong. It
seemed to be coming from a space heater. Meagher had been in the room
just a short time before and, out of curiosity, had checked the heater.
It had not been on and had been letting off no odor. Now, somehow it was
- and Meagher was again sure that no one had left the room they had all
been in.
After this has been investigated (the smell dissipated shortly after
they all crowded into the room), the group began moving back to the
living room. As they passed by a small closet, they all heard something
smash and shatter against the metal closet door. As they walked past,
shards of broken glass tinkled out into the hallway. They discovered
that a small glass bottle had apparently been thrown against the doors
and had shattered into pieces. No one had seen the bottle be thrown and
no one had been standing in the direction from which the bottle came.
While the entire group was investigating the broken bottle, all of the
lights in the house inexplicably turned off! They did not come back on
until Mr. Lincoln replaced a fuse in the basement. Was it merely a
coincidence or simply a blown fuse? Perhaps - or perhaps not. It can't
be ignored that the timing was certainly strange.
As a trained investigator though, Meagher couldn't help but notice that
some of the events were suspicious (as many readers will be undoubtedly
thinking as well). For instance, the bathroom tap that turned on by
itself could have easily been nothing more than a defective faucet.
Several years ago, I lived in a house where the kitchen sink frequently
turned on under its own power. The house wasn't haunted though - when I
replaced the faucet, it never happened again.
Also, each time that something happened during Meagher's investigation
(except when the lights went out), the Lincoln's were always the first
to notice it and reported that something was going on. And each time
that the report was given, a great deal of commotion followed and
everyone milled about, making it almost impossible for the reporter and
his fellow investigators to keep track of everyone. It would have been
possible for one of the Lincoln's to have turned on the gas or the water
as they ran into the room. Also (and perhaps more likely), it's possible
that the water could have been turned on some time before and then the
hoaxer could have waited for someone to notice it. It would have seemed
to have turned on by itself because no one had been in the bathroom for
some time. When no one did, the Lincoln's would call attention to it and
because they had been in the room the entire time, they would never be
suspected as the culprits.
Also, when the bottle had smashed against the closet door, everyone was
in a group, passing through the narrow hallway. No one actually saw the
bottle in the air and it would have been a simple matter for someone to
have tossed it behind their back, unseen by everyone else. Of course,
that's not to say that any of this did happen, but it certainly could
have. But in order for the entire case to have been a hoax, it would
have had to have been a long-running one and for what purpose? According
to police records, calls had been placed by the Lincoln's about unusual
activity in their home for nearly two years before the case ever reached
the national press. With that in mind, it seems hard to believe that
they could have faked the activity for attention. It also seems unusual
that the activity seemed to peak at about the time that they announced
their intentions to sell the house. Having it appear in national
newspapers as a "haunted house" is not usually the best plan to try and
sell unwanted property!
So, what do you think? Do you think the Lincoln home was really
haunted? Apparently the Lincoln family did! They moved out during the
summer of 1962 and never came back. Interestingly though, the subsequent
owners of the place never reported any strange activity, leading us to
wonder what may have been going on here after all.
Was the house infested by a ghost? Was it really a human agent
poltergeist case after all? Or was the house merely "haunted" by bored
family members who were looking for something to occupy their time
during the long Michigan winter? The answers to those questions remain
unsolved.

___________

SEEKING INFORMATION
___________

email the senders.

***
I hope someone out there can help me. I've recently started collecting
"True Ghost Stories" comics (mostly they were made in the 70's). My
favorites so far have been the Ripley's Believe it or Not True Ghost
Stories, and Ripley's Believe it or Not True Demons and Monsters, but I
have discovered some others comics that may or may not be true ghost
stories, and I'm having a hard time finding out the answer.
The ones I have in question are: Grimm's Ghost Stories (I'm pretty sure
these are true), Weird Mystery Tales, Unexpected, Spine-Tingling Tales,
and The Twilight Zone (from what I know of the TV show etc, I'm guessing
this one isn't true). If anyone knows if these are true or not, or knows
of any other comic series of true ghost stories that I missed (or
anything supernatural such as monsters, UFOs), please email me at
“scoob-@yahoo.com".
I'm also interested in any information on haunted places in the Pacific
Northwest (Oregon, Washington, and Idaho) and especially in the Boise,
Idaho area. Thanks!!! P.S...Haunted Places report is AWESOME.

***
I am very interested in finding out if there are any haunted places in
the Winnebago/Rockford, Illinois area. I have found many stories near
and in Chicago but I am not satisfied. I know there has to be some
around here. I have heard bits and pieces of stories but haven't been
able to find anything on the subjects. Rockford is the second largest
city in Illinois and there are no haunted places here....I can't believe
that. If you have any information on any stories or where I can find
some information please e-mail me at "tmosc-@mchsi.com"

___________

TRUE STORIES
___________

From Eric at: troutm-@aol.com

Growing up in the Midwest (Minneapolis) in a house built is 1889 by my
great grandfather (my great-great grandfather built the foundation and a
number of stone arch bridges of which two are still in place in downtown
Minneapolis), I had discovered early in my 38 year old life that the
house was haunted by my great grandmother's ghost.
Not believing in ghosts due to religious reasons, but rather demons, I
can only speak of an eye witness account of an actual sighting of that
of an old woman dressed in white passing through a wall by my second
eldest brother. Placing a name on the entity came from a suspicious
death of my great grandmother in which she fell down a flight of stairs
leading to the up-stairs bedrooms, breaking her neck. Alcoholism has
been a family curse placed on that side of my family ( I myself am
recovered ) with my great grandfather notwithstanding. It was rumored
from a great aunt with whom I spoke with that my great grandparents were
not happily married. Thus the rumor of one drunken night in which she
may have been "helped" down the stairs from a disgruntled, drunken
spouse one night. This is only conjecture, and has been placed in this
article only as at best colorful ruminations from an old eccentric aunt.
I wish not to bring any ill repute upon the non-convicted dead nor bring
disrespect upon my families name and honor.
What I can tell you next is what I have experienced and after this is
through you may conclude that this is not a classic "ghost" haunting but
rather demonic in nature which may or may not have affected the past
death in the home.
I will begin with my earliest recollections of footsteps in the attic
in which there were no door nor steps leading up to it. The Attic was
opened only at Christmas time to retrieve Christmas ornaments. Being the
youngest in a family of two older brothers one of which was 7 years my
senior, the eldest, 10 years my senior. There was a considerable time
between bedtimes for me to be alone upstairs only to listen to inhuman
footsteps above my head and outside my door.
As the years grew, and my brothers moved out, I was left to my own
bedtimes for schooldays and far worse events.
The worst events occurred when my parents were out of town or at a
neighbor's home to play cards. On one such night in my early teens, my
parents were out playing cards 2 blocks away in January; the dead of a
Minnesota winter when outdoor temperatures reached well below zero. It
was time for bed. I had an uneasy feeling about going to bed that night.
I crept up the stairs in darkness to reach my bedroom light switch. As I
opened the bedroom door, I turned on the light to see to my horror the
curtains flying perpendicular to the windows with the windows tightly
shut and locked. It was, after all, winter. It was as if hurricane force
winds were blowing the curtains off of the curtain rods. As quickly as I
saw and had time to react in terror as there was no wind hitting my
face, I was out the front door in my pajamas without shoes or socks
running 2 blocks to where my parents were playing cards that night in
sub-zero weather.
This is only one such story that is true. There are other stories just
as disturbing. You will hear about these in later dates. All real; all
mind bending.

___________

UPCOMING EVENTS
___________

For complete details of all events this year please visit:
"http://www.haunted-places.com/tours.htm"

Upcoming events for May are:

Tales Tombstones Tell
May 8th, Thursday, 2 p.m.
Library, Ocean Pines, Md

With author Ed Okonowicz, photographs and information on tombstone
architecture, inscriptions, history and symbolism.
For more info call the Library at:410 208-4014

***
Special Ghost Hunter's Tour
May 10th

A special edition of the History & Hauntings Tour that includes not only
the ghost tour, but also a one-hour presentation by author Troy Taylor
about the secrets of ghost hunting. The evening lasts approximately 4
hours - $40 per person.

More info at: "http://www.prairieghosts.com/tours.html"

***
Searching for Ghost Stories
May 15th to the 18th
Cincinnati, Ohio area

Author D.B. Lyn will be in the area looking for true, local, ghost
stories for a her next book. An ad will be running in area newspapers or
you can contact her at: "jjfe-@valunet.com"

***
West Virginia State Penitentiary Ghost Hunt
May 16th
Moundsville, West Virginia

For more info contact John or Lisa at: "jo-@majda.net"
or visit their website at: "http://www.majda.net/"

***
Book Signing
May 18th, Sunday from 1-2:30 p.m.
Dockside Gifts, 112 S. Front St., Lewes, Delaware
Author Ed Okonowicz
For more info call: 302 645-9730.

***
Heartland Hauntings - Second Annual Paranormal Places Seminar
Sunday, May 18th from 12:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Best Western Conference Center, Janesville, WI
Hosted by the Southern Wisconsin Paranormal Research Group

This year's theme is centered around the Heartland of America and we are
very pleased to welcome some very exciting heartland speakers such as
Authors, Troy Taylor and Dave Goodwin. Tours, workshops and other
weekend events will be offered as well as great presentations on Haunted
Highways, Haunted Military Bases and a slide show presentation on some
of the most haunted locations in Rock County, WI. Cost is $25.00 per
person (advanced ticket purchase)

For more information or to purchase tickets online, please visit their
website at: "http://www.ParanormalResearchGroup.com"

***
Fort Delaware Ghost Lantern History Tour
May 23rd, Friday, 7 p.m.
Delaware City, Delaware
With author Ed Okonowicz
For more info call: 302 834-7941

***
Candlelight Walking Tour
May 23rd

History & Hauntings Tour of spirited sites in old downtown Alton and
lasts approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Cost is$15 per person.

More info at: "http://www.prairieghosts.com/tours.html"

***
Candlelight Walking Tour
May 24th

History & Hauntings Tour of spirited sites in old downtown Alton and
lasts approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Cost is$15 per person.

More info at: "http://www.prairieghosts.com/tours.html"

___________

TOURS & SHOWS
___________

Gettysburg Civil War Era Theater is a live, one man show featuring a
Civil War Era Magic Show, an "old timer" who talks about life as a
civilian in Gettysburg at the time of the great battle and shares some
of the more popular ghost stories which have been associated with the
town and concludes with a theatrical recreation of a civil war era
seance.
The program has been skillfully choreographed by magician, actor &
author Joe Kerrigan to be educational as well as entertaining.
Affordably priced for the entire family tickets are $17.95 for Adults,
$10.95 12 and under. Shows nightly at 7:00PM.
Best Inn
301 Steinwehr Ave.
Gettysburg, Pa.
(717) 642-9215
Website: http://civilwartheater.com

***
Downtown Orlando Florida
8pm EVERY Saturday
90 minute lantern lead walking tours of historic downtown Orlando. Cost
is $10 per person. Orlando's ORIGINAL Ghost Tour departs from
Guinevere's Coffeehouse (on the corner of Pine and Magnolia).
Website: http://www.orlandohauntings.com
Email: Webma-@Orlandohauntings.com
Phone: 407-992-1200

***
Simply Spooky! (tm)
200 years in 2 hours!
Join us on this Ghostly Ghost Walk and Tour of the Historic Town of
Burlington, Ontario (Canada) where we explore 200 years of history in 2
hours. Informative, educational and accurate accounts of the history
makers from early 1700's to the present. Conducted by Patrick Cross,
Canada's top ghost researcher.
2003 Season is June 1st - November 10th
Cost: $10.00 for adults, $2.00 for children 10-16 years of age.
Email: sci-@globalserve.net
Website: http://www.globalserve.net/~scifi/latestnews.htm
Phone: 416-201-4670

***
Haunts of the World's Most Famous Beach
Daytona Beach Florida
7:30pm EVERY Thursday-Sunday
We offer three different 90 minute lantern lead walking tours of
historic downtown Daytona Beach and Deland:

The Original Ghost Walk departs from the northwest corner of Main St &
Peninsula Dr. (Friday & Saturday)

The Riverfront Park Walk departs from the northeast corner of Orange
Ave. & Beach St. (Thursday & Sunday)

The Deland Ghost Walk departs from the corner of Woodland Blvd. &
Indiana Ave. (Friday &Saturday)

Cost is$8.00 per person. Proceeds from these tours help benefit our
research and our two cemetery preservation & restoration projects. This
is the first ghost tour in Florida that is owned and operated by a
certified ghost hunter and active certified paranormal researcher.
Website: http://www.hauntsofdaytona.com
Email: hauntsof-@aol.com
Phone: (386) 253-6034

____________

INTERNET RADIO PROGRAMS:
____________

The "Exploring Unexplained Phenomena" radio program is on KZUM 89.3 FM,
Lincoln, NE, and has been on-air every Saturday morning since 1984, 10 -
11:30 am Central Time. The station phone number during the program only:
402-474-5086. The host is Scott H. Colborn, Email:
kcol-@inebraska.com
Website is: http://www.thewayhomestore.com

***
Jeff Rense: Listen at : http://www.sightings.com/
Mon. - Fri. at 7pm to 10 pm Pacific time
Sat. at 9pm to 3am Pacific time
Sun. at 8pm to 11pm Pacific time

***
http://www.pawebcast.cc/

Live every Wednesdays from 8 to 9pm EST.
Listen at:
http://www.pawebcast.com/visions/visions_from_the_other_side.htm

***
The Lou Gentile Show