Welcome Guest!
 Haunted Places
 Jun 23, 2003 21:08 PDT

THE HAUNTED PLACES REPORT

Founded by: Dennis William Hauck
Edited by: Rev. Ronald E. Beach
Email: Edi-@haunted-places.com
Website: http://www.Haunted-Places.com

editor.

06/24//03

_____________

FROM THE EDITOR
_____________

Please visit our website at: Haunted-Places.com and let us know your
thoughts & comments. Anything you like to see added to the site? All
items should be emailed to us at: Webma-@haunted-places.com

_____________

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
_____________

We invite your letters to the editor. Tell us how you feel about things
in the newsletter or in the ghost hunting community. All letters must be
accompanied by an email address so other readers can respond to you.

_________________

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Pennsylvania.
For more information, please contact Kelly L. Weaver
at weav-@aol.com or 717-737-7623

***
The Pennsylvania Ghost Hunters Society has changed its name to the
Paranormal Society of Pennsylvania since most of our investigators
research other areas of the paranormal. The website is still the same
"http://home.supernet.com/~rfisher/pghs.html" or it can be accessed by
going to "http://www.paranormalpa.com".
We are now taking registrations for the 3rd annual Pennsylvania
Paranormal Conference to be held in Gettysburg, PA on March 20th 2004.
Seating will be limited, this past conference drew a crowd of over 175
people. No registrations will be taken at the door unless seating is
available. We will have lectures on the two most famous ufo crashes
Roswell and Kecksburg, history and mystery of talking boards, mysterious
stone chambers, spontaneous human combustion, and bigfoot sightings.
Visit the website to find more information, have a great summer.

***
The Ghost Stalkers of West Tennessee is a nonprofit paranormal research
team based in West Tennessee, investigating areas with reported
hauntings. We investigate homes, businesses and/or cemeteries around
(but not limited to) the Memphis, Tennessee area.
Our main goal is to help people understand, conduct extensive
investigations, provide documentation and ultimately prove that there is
life after death. Please visit our site at:
"http://ghoststalker.topcities.com"

***
Just wanted to let everyone know the site for the Oklahoma Ghost Club
has moved. It is now better than ever and located at
"http://www.okcgc.com"

***
South Jersey Paranormal Research website can be visited at:
"http://www.sjpr.org"

***
Lost Souls Paranormal Investigations website can be visited at:
http://www.lostsoulspi.com

______________

FEATURE STORY
_______________

Ghost Hunting Aboard the Queen Mary with Peter James
By Cheri Sicard

Flashlight beams punch holes through the endless pitch black darkness
before us, dimly illuminating dusty stacks of wooden deck chairs, art
deco style furniture and other accoutrements and accessories that
adorned the interior and decks of the Queen Mary at various times over
the past seven decades. These tangible souvenirs of the historic ocean
liner's glorious past now rest in a storage limbo deep in the bowels of
the ship's hull, all but forgotten by everyone except the somewhat less
tangible ghosts and spirits who make this area one their favorite
haunting grounds.
Our nocturnal tour guide, psychic Peter James, regularly communes with
over 150 separate entities who call the Queen Mary home. On this
evening, like he does on the first and last Fridays of every month, he
hopes the ghosts will make their presence know to the group of
fascinated amateur ghost hunters and history buffs who have joined this
unique expedition in search of irrefutable evidence of the ship's
ghosts. The group will also join James for conversation and questions
over an elegant dinner at Sir Winston's, the Queen Mary's premier
restaurant, featuring gourmet continental cuisine.
Once an historic ocean liner whose passengers included the most
celebrated people of the time, including royalty, top entertainment
figures and important world leaders, like The Duke and Duchess of
Windsor, Clark Gable, George and Ira Gershwin, and Sir Winston
Churchill, the Queen Mary is now permanently docked in Long Beach,
California, where she is enjoying a new life as luxury hotel and meeting
facility and a popular Southern California tourist attraction.
From March, 1940 through September of 1946 the luxurious ocean liner
was transformed into a carrier ship that aided allied forces during
World War II. During this period she carried a total of 765,429 military
personnel and sailed a total of 569,429 miles (916,407 km). Conditions
during this period bore little resemblance to those experienced by the
Queen Mary's paying passengers. During the war, she often carried as
many as 15,000 troops at one time.
The ship's nickname during those years -- "The Gray Ghost," due to the
drab paintjob that helped her remain nearly invisible in misty waters --
in retrospect seems oddly prophetic. And little wonder. Peter James
claims that at the most crowded periods during the war, a death on the
ship could occur about once every seven minutes!
Despite these gruesome statistics, the ship once again metamorphesized
into a luxury liner after the war, and passengers again flocked to her
opulent decks, staterooms and suites (not to mention her more economic
third and 4th class cabins).
Peter James has been conducting ongoing research at the Queen Mary
since 1991, and he claims it is one of the world's most haunted
locations. One of America's most respected psychic investigators and a
regular contributor to TV's popular Sightings show, Peter has dedicated
his life to conducting ghost research. Of the 600 plus ghosts he says
that still roam the Queen Mary, he's made personal contact with about
150.
The ghosts are as diverse as the ship's history, and some are more
vocal and outgoing than others. Some of the spirits that tend be less
shy include Jackie -- a small child who died in what was then the 2nd
class passengers pool, Captain Jones, one of the Queen's past commanders
and John Henry, a worker who regularly roams the ship's engine room.
Throughout the evening, Peter continually called out, attempting to
coach his favorite spirits to come out to play.
"Captain Jones! Are You There?"
"Talk to me Jackie!"
"John Henry, make yourself known."
And in fact, we did hear strange noises -- some were distinct knocks in
response to James's rapping on the ship's metal walls, and others
sounded like a distant high pitched squeal. Were the sounds actually
ghosts? I can't say for sure, but we did hear things.
The management of the Queen Mary has pretty much given Peter James
carte-blanche to go anywhere on the ship that he sees fit, likewise
you're likely to see areas on this tour that have never been accessible
to the general public.
The bi-monthly ghost tour is strictly Peter James' "party" and he is the
consummate host, continually striving to make his guests comfortable and
facilitating social interaction between members of the diverse group of
amateur ghost hunters.
Our evening began in the Observation Bar, an exquisite space restored to
the art deco splendor that served first class passengers during the
ship's sailing days. The twinkling lights of Long Beach, across the bay,
visible through the lounge's panoramic windows, create one of the most
spectacular and romantic views in Southern California. Even if you can't
make it to the ghost tour, it's worth a stop in the Observation Bar for
an after or pre dinner cocktail, for their daily happy hour specials or
anytime you want to have a drink in an impressive setting.
After gathering the group together, Queen Mary employees escorted us to
a small darkened theatre, where dramatically backlit -- his silver hair
almost glowing in the darkness, our guide for the evening, Peter James,
sat on the otherwise bare stage.
James explained how the evening would progress -- a pre-dinner tour that
would take about an hour, dinner at Sir Winston's, followed by
additional ghost hunting for anyone who hadn't gotten enough earlier in
the evening (which turned out to be most of us).
We were told that unlike the Queen Mary's Ghost & Legends attraction,
this was the real deal. We were looking to actually make contact with
genuine ghosts. As such there is no guarantee of the level of activity
that might be experienced on any given night, although James, Queen Mary
staff members, and repeat visitor guests (of whom there were many in the
group) all claim it's a rare evening indeed when the ghosts refuse to
make their presence known at all. (Side Note: In this writer's opinion,
the Ghosts & Legends attraction is a hokey, overpriced psuedo haunted
house walk-through that won't even amuse the kids -- don't waste your
time.)
To be honest, even if our group hadn't experienced anything potentially
"ghostly" I still would have had a marvelous time. Ghosts or no ghosts,
wandering the halls and nether regions of Queen Mary is a unique
experience that evokes an awe-inspiring awareness of history that's hard
to duplicate elsewhere.
Flashlights (conveniently provided by the staff, for those who didn't
bring their own) in hand, we set off to explore. James took us down to
50 feet below the water level to the ship's engine room. Used in the
filming of the Poseidon Adventure, the ship's engine room is also the
scene of a lot of paranormal activity. In fact, the room's infamous
"Door 13" crushed at least two men to death, at different points during
the Queen's history. James believes the men were actually murdered, left
by their co-workers to die painful deaths crushed in the heavy automatic
doors which were designed to seal off sections of the engine room. Both
men regularly make their presences known to James and his guests.
The poolroom is another of the ship's most active areas. Peter James
says that an area in the pool's locker room is the ship's vortex of
energy -- a place where the spirit energy is particularly potent.
Temperature fluctuations, for no apparent reason, are a common
phenomenon experienced here. Jackie, a little girl who James says
drowned in the second class pool also likes to play in the poolroom. One
evening Jackie entertained guests and a camera crew, her voice clearly
audible to the astounded crowd. While Jackie remained quiet the night I
visited, several of the returning guests recalled other nights when she
was significantly more vocal.
Dinner and More Ghosts
After leaving the pool room, we ventured to Sir Winston's, what used to
be the ship's first class dining room and is now the Hotel Queen Mary's
finest restaurant. We dined on an elegant prixe-fixe dinner that
included appetizer, soup or salad, entrée (beef, chicken seafood or
pasta) and dessert.
Peter James is a fascinating dinner companion. He held court, regaling
the enraptured crowd with tales of his ghost hunting adventures around
the world and encouraging his guests to share their own experiences and
ask questions. The ingenious way the Sir Winston's staff had set the
tables allowed everyone in the group a seat with a view of the host, so
that nobody felt left out of the conversation.
After dinner, James gave his guests another chance to return to the
pool area and contact Jackie. We spent a good 20-30 minutes exploring
the pool area and locker room, including the mysterious "vortex," and
listening for sounds of the ghosts.
A surprising number of guests on the tour are multiple return visitors.
There can be no greater testimony to how good a time the ghost tour
evenings are than the fact that people come again and again. Most nights
James is able to capture some sort of paranormal activity including
audible sounds, smells, distinct temperature changes and, occasionally,
visual activity or apparitions.
So did we conclusively experience evidence of ghosts on the night I
attended? If you polled the group, some would say absolutely yes, others
would give a resounding no, and the majority, like me, are not really
sure. We know we heard something, exactly the source of the sounds, who
knows? But nonetheless, it was a fascinating expedition through history,
complemented by a wonderful dinner accompanied by a side order of
mystery. And like most of the people on the tour, I can't wait to do it
again.
The 2003 schedule offers ghost tours with psychic Peter James on the
first and last Friday of each month. Private group tour parties are
available seven days a week, subject to prior arrangement and
availability. The tour meets in the Observation Bar at the Queen Mary
between 6:30 and 7 PM. Group size is limited to no more than 25 people
and is often sold out in advance, so make reservations early by calling
562-499-1657 or visiting "http://www.QueenMary.com".
Price of the ghost tour and dinner package is a reasonable $99.00 per
person. For those who wish to take advantage of the full experience and
spend the night aboard the Queen Mary, tour participants can receive a
special room rate of $89.00 (plus 12% room tax). To make room
reservations, call 562-435-3511 and be sure to mention the Peter James
Ghost Tour.
You can keep up with all of psychic and ghost hunter Peter James'
adventures and investigations by visiting his website at
"http://www.GhostEncounters.com".

____________

SEEKING INFORMATION
___________

email the senders.

___________

TRUE STORIES
___________

From: Gmsga-@aol.com

This event happened to me about a year and a half, almost two years
ago. It was a Friday morning (6 a.m.)I was asleep. Back then my mom was
the one who woke me up every morning, but that morning was very
different.
On my wall I have hung the face of Jesus that was given to me when I
was young. At exactly 6 a.m. that morning the face of Jesus fell off my
wall and I thought it was my mom. Then I woke up and realized that the
lights were off(she turns them on when she wakes me up and leaves the
door open)and the door was closed. It landed next to my books which are
located above the computer. I told my Dad that night and I told him
where it landed. By that time it was hung on the wall, and he gave the
wall 3 bangs and it fell to the floor and not next to my books above my
computer

___________

UPCOMING EVENTS
___________

For complete details of all events this year please visit:
"http://www.haunted-places.com/tours.htm"

Upcoming events for July are:

Fort Delaware Ghost Lantern History Tour
July 11th, Friday, 7 p.m.
Delaware City, Delaware
With author Ed Okonowicz
For more info call: 302 834-7941

***
West Virginia State Penitentiary Ghost Hunt
July 12th
Moundsville, West Virginia
For more info contact John or Lisa at: "mailto:jo-@majda.net"
or visit their website at: "http://www.majda.net/"

***
Sprucevale Campout & All Night Ghost Hunt
July 26th
Ghost town of Sprucevale in Beaver Creek State Park
East Liverpool, Ohio
For members and families only. Children over 9 years old welcome.
For more info contact John or Lisa at: "mailto:jo-@majda.net"
or visit their website at: "http://www.majda.net/"

___________

TOURS & SHOWS
___________

Gettysburg Civil War Era Theater is a live, one man show featuring a
Civil War Era Magic Show, an "old timer" who talks about life as a
civilian in Gettysburg at the time of the great battle and shares some
of the more popular ghost stories which have been associated with the
town and concludes with a theatrical recreation of a civil war era
seance.
The program has been skillfully choreographed by magician, actor &
author Joe Kerrigan to be educational as well as entertaining.
Affordably priced for the entire family tickets are $17.95 for Adults,
$10.95 12 and under. Shows nightly at 7:00PM.
Best Inn
301 Steinwehr Ave.
Gettysburg, Pa.
(717) 642-9215
Website: http://civilwartheater.com

***
Downtown Orlando Florida
8pm EVERY Saturday
90 minute lantern lead walking tours of historic downtown Orlando. Cost
is $10 per person. Orlando's ORIGINAL Ghost Tour departs from
Guinevere's Coffeehouse (on the corner of Pine and Magnolia).
Website: http://www.orlandohauntings.com
Email: Webma-@Orlandohauntings.com
Phone: 407-992-1200

***
Simply Spooky! (tm)
200 years in 2 hours!
Join us on this Ghostly Ghost Walk and Tour of the Historic Town of
Burlington, Ontario (Canada) where we explore 200 years of history in 2
hours. Informative, educational and accurate accounts of the history
makers from early 1700's to the present. Conducted by Patrick Cross,
Canada's top ghost researcher.
2003 Season is June 1st - November 10th
Cost: $10.00 for adults, $2.00 for children 10-16 years of age.
Email: sci-@globalserve.net
Website: http://www.globalserve.net/~scifi/latestnews.htm
Phone: 416-201-4670

***
Haunts of the World's Most Famous Beach
Daytona Beach Florida
7:30pm EVERY Thursday-Sunday
We offer three different 90 minute lantern lead walking tours of
historic downtown Daytona Beach and Deland:

The Original Ghost Walk departs from the northwest corner of Main St &
Peninsula Dr. (Friday & Saturday)

The Riverfront Park Walk departs from the northeast corner of Orange
Ave. & Beach St. (Thursday & Sunday)

The Deland Ghost Walk departs from the corner of Woodland Blvd. &
Indiana Ave. (Friday &Saturday)

Cost is$8.00 per person. Proceeds from these tours help benefit our
research and our two cemetery preservation & restoration projects. This
is the first ghost tour in Florida that is owned and operated by a
certified ghost hunter and active certified paranormal researcher.
Website: http://www.hauntsofdaytona.com
Email: hauntsof-@aol.com
Phone: (386) 253-6034

____________

INTERNET RADIO PROGRAMS:
____________

The "Exploring Unexplained Phenomena" radio program is on KZUM 89.3 FM,
Lincoln, NE, and has been on-air every Saturday morning since 1984, 10 -
11:30 am Central Time. The station phone number during the program only:
402-474-5086. The host is Scott H. Colborn, Email:
kcol-@inebraska.com
Website is: http://www.thewayhomestore.com

***
Jeff Rense: Listen at : http://www.sightings.com/
Mon. - Fri. at 7pm to 10 pm Pacific time
Sat. at 9pm to 3am Pacific time
Sun. at 8pm to 11pm Pacific time

***
http://www.pawebcast.cc/

Live every Wednesdays from 8 to 9pm EST.
Listen at:
http://www.pawebcast.com/visions/visions_from_the_other_side.htm

***
The Lou Gentile Show