Welcome Guest!
 Haunted Places
The haunted Places Report 01/20/06  Rev. Ron Beach
 Jan 20, 2006 08:59 PST

THE HAUNTED PLACES REPORT

Founded by: Dennis William Hauck
Edited by: Rev. Ronald E. Beach
Email: Edi-@haunted-places.com
Website: http://www.Haunted-Places.com

editor.

01/20/06

_____________

FROM THE EDITOR
_____________

Please visit our website at: Haunted-Places.com and let us know your
thoughts & comments. Anything you like to see added to the site? All
items should be emailed to us at: Webma-@haunted-places.com

******
Please let us know about your groups upcoming 2006 ghost hunts / events
so we can post them in the newsletter and on the website.
Information can be sent to: edi-@haunted-places.com

_______________

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
_______________

Hi Ron
Susie Burnett from, "Rescue Mediums" here again! I hope this letter
finds you very well and that 2006 is looking bright and exciting for
you!
We are nearing the end of shooting our first season of Rescue Mediums
having filmed 8 episodes already. Our psychics have successfully
investigated and identified many, many spirits and their histories, as
well as clearing houses when needed. We have 2 more filmings of
hauntings booked in south-eastern Ontario and 3 more firm possibilities
out on the east coast.
I am looking for 1 or 2 more - hopefully in Ontario. Thanks again and
I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Best regards,
Susie Burnett
Researcher - Rescue Mediums
416.461.5680
crazyp-@hotmail.com

Editor’s Note: If anyone knows of any places, please contact Susie at
the above phone number or email address.

_______________

ANNOUNCEMENTS
_______________

From: "BadFi-@aol.com"

There is an old lunatic asylum on the edge of Philadelphia that is now
called Byberry. It is said to be quite haunted. I have been in there
myself and besides all the graffiti and trash from the kids, it has a
very spooky feeling. It is said that the ghosts of over 100 souls are
trapped in the buildings. They were left there when the building was
shut down. They refused to leave the buildings.

_______________

FEATURE STORY
_______________

Tennessee Spirits - The Ghosts of the Volunteer State
By William Uchtman at: aesga-@hotmail.com

When I was a kid, I was heavily into horror movies, and that
fascination turned into an interest for real ghost stories. My first
book on the paranormal was "Haunted Houses" by Richard Winer and Nancy
Osborn-Ishmael, and today, more than seventy percent of the books I buy
are on the supernatural. I read them over and over, learning the
behavior of ghosts and
how they acted and didn't act. Today, when I watch any movie about
ghosts I'm shaking my head. "Ghosts don't do that." "That wouldn't
happen." "Completely unlikely.." mumbles from my lips.
Over the years, I started keeping lists - lists and lists of haunted
houses, haunted sites, haunted locations.. Ghosts no longer were bound
to drafty old houses, but cemeteries, churches, museums, city halls,
museums, restaurants, bars and inns.. It went on forever. I took
locations and descriptions from everywhere: from books I owned and
borrowed, from TV specials being run at Halloween, newspaper articles,
magazines, from people I met and eventually the Internet. My simple pad
was in time replaced by a notebook and in time that was replaced by a
fabric-bound journal. The problem with a journal is every time it
became full, I had to re-write it completely from scratch and before I
would be finished, it would be time to start over again. I also found
myself racing against the updates of the Shadowlands website - even if
I had to do extra research to confirm and add upon their descriptions
and to translate and correct the grammar and inaccuracies of their
haunting locations.
Dennis William Hauck's National Directory of Haunted Places
practically doubled my counts for some of the states in America and was
even amiss on others I knew locally. After all, living so close to
Nashville, I became aware of locally run features on locations no one
would ever become aware of. When I was in high school, everyone knew
that local Hendersonville High School was haunted. It was closed down
for a while, but now it's known as Ellis Middle School. The spirit of a
man whom former students nicknamed "The Colonel" haunts the school,
Witnesses have heard the footsteps as well as seen apparitions. Two
students staying the night recorded footsteps in the upstairs hall. The
TV series, "That's Incredible," might have opened the reputation of the
school to public knowledge, but they dropped it for other subjects.
Today, the modern kids have no idea the school was or is considered
haunted. A custodian once told me the upstairs is overwhelmingly spooky
at night.
Back then, rumors were that there were ghosts at the Rock Castle
landmark down at the end of the road. Old Halloween articles repeating
the stories at the old high school described that curators running this
museum reported things being moved and displays disturbed after the
structure had been locked up tight.
The most popular local haunt is Cragfont near the small community of
Castalian Springs. Once a home, it is now a historical landmark and can
be toured during the day. The museum curators even sell a pamphlet on
the haunted history o0f the place. Witnesses have seen candles burning
inside at night, heard loud screams and breathing and had the feeling of
being followed. Also known as The Winchester House, it was built from
1798 and completed in 1802. General James Winchester was a hero of the
Revolution, a Tennessee pioneer, and one of the founders of Memphis,
Tennessee. Cragfont has since reopened as a museum. Visitors attest to
strong energy levels in the master bedroom and the nursery, as well as
a few other areas of the house. The landmark is registered in the
National Directory of Historical Places
There is also the matter of a forgotten old shed located somewhere
near Deshea Creek. A wall in this house was reputedly supposed to bleed
real blood up until the point when it was knocked down.
One of, I think, the strangest Nashville haunts is that of Gilley's
Warehouse in Nashville. The security guard who worked the old honky-tonk
restaurant here reported the creaking of floorboards and the sounds of
muffles cries and shrieks here at night. Phenomenon also included the
apparitions of long dead Civil War officers, but the old structure with
its mansard roof where this all occurred no longer exists. There is
also the story of Glen Oaks Mansion. The ghost of Reverend Charles
Toomes, the man who built it, haunts his old house here located on
Hillsboro Road in Nashville. Residents have heard strange footsteps and
seen strange coins fall from nowhere. I've held on to the newspaper
article for this place for years!
Stephen King's movie, "Rose Red," made the local WKRN station run a
story on a haunted Dillard's Shoe Store. According to the segment,
salesman Paul Meyers in this store in Green Hills once saw a
frontiersman in a tri-corner hat in the storeroom. He has seen the ghost
holding a rifle almost seven times in a five-month period.
Of course, one of the most interesting local and now former haunts was
the Old Capitol Records Building. Built on the site of the Old Schnell
House, this structure at 1111 Sixteenth Avenue South was said to be
frequented by the ghost of Bertha Schnell almost immediately after the
structure was finished. A very wealthy man for the time, her father was
snubbed by Nashville society in the 1920s and retreated to live above
one of his businesses. He instructed his two daughters to let their
grand home, then one of the grandest in Nashville, to fall into disuse
out of revenge on the elite that had snubbed them. They never repaired
one thing and the house crumbled into neglect. Bertha's sister, Lena,
died in the house and her body stayed in it for more than a week before
it was removed. Finally knocked down in the 1970s after Bertha died,
Capitol Records was built on the site, but today it houses smaller
businesses such as Music City Digital. Immediately after moving in,
Capitol Records employees often came in and discovered things
disturbed. Doors also locked by themselves and wisps of a fog-like smoke
sometimes pervaded the location. Local Psychic Phyllis Moline described
the location as a confusion of emotions. Today, cold spots are
commonplace and phone lines from unused internal offices often ring.
Images of Bertha and her sister Lena have been seen and noises like
sounds falling have been heard.
Sometimes the ghosts do not want to be on TV. When Ann Heywood was
terrorized by a ghost that she called "The Lady " back in the Seventies,
the ghost also threatened two reporters from "The Tennessean" newspaper
and a WSM-TV news reporter who came to document the case. The whole
story was featured in Winer's follow-up book, "More Haunted Houses."
Want to hear about the Old Medical Building? Formerly used to store
cadavers for the medical classes at the University of Nashville, this
building on Second Avenue South is said to be haunted. Owner Bart
Butler has reported slamming doors and creaking floorboards in the
otherwise empty structure.
The movie, "The Green Mile," was filmed partially or mostly at the Old
Tennessee State Penitentiary. Former warden Jim Rose claims that the
ghosts of former convicts and juvenile delinquents haunt this prison.
Strange sounds, inexplicable feelings of dread and cold spots have been
felt in the deserted structure.
Ryman Auditorium is a popular Nashville spot to fans of country music
and the paranormal, but don't believe those crazy tabloid stories of the
place being trashed by the ghosts of dead rockers. Staff and tourists
have heard the voices of their favorite departed country stars here
where those classic stars of yesteryear delighted in entertaining
millions. A construction worker who got locked in while exploring the
building has seen Hank Williams's ghost in the structure. Another singer
was practicing one of Hank's songs when all the lights went out in the
middle of the song. Employees have also heard footsteps and doors
opening and closing under their own power. Doors often slam by
themselves and employees have reported odd noises from the stage when
the building is empty. Captain Thomas Ryman originally built the place
as a church, but it became known locally as the Grand Old Opry. The late
Hank Williams has been heard singing backstage and a figure of a man in
a Confederate uniform dubbed "The Gray Man" has been seen in the same
seat during modern-day rehearsals.
Does anyone recall the old TV series, called " Encounters?" It told me
the story of the old Pepper House near Elvis's Graceland in Memphis,
which is also described as haunted. Gary Pepper was a good friend of
Elvis and the musician often walked over to visit or just play music.
The ghost of Elvis Presley reportedly still visits Pepper in this house
adjacent to the Graceland property. Two Memphis disc jockeys once tried
to broadcast from the house after ridiculing the hauntings, but had
transmission problems from inside the place.
This is just a sampling of the unknown hauntings I have for Tennessee,
so when a local newspaper columnist said he was writing a newspaper
article for Haunted Tennessee, I jumped at the chance to share my
research with him. He instead recommended I get the project published as
a book. Unfortunately, it is now two years later and three disinterested
publishers later. I'm still trying to get it published, but it keeps
returning unopened. Some publishers I've talked to won't even consider
the book worthy unless I pay them an obscene amount of money. So for
now, the manuscript continues collecting
dust and getting fatter with update after update...

____________

SEEKING INFORMATION
___________

email the senders.

******
We are forming a new ghost hunting group in Findlay, Ohio. If
interested in joining please contact me at:
Haunted-@haunted-places.com

******
From: Karen at: "kgray-@yahoo.com"

I live in Burnet County and recently picked up a copy of our local
tourist guide (101 fun Things to do in the Texas Hill Country.) Inside
is an article regarding local ghost stories(there are some great ones.)
In the section devoted to Peyton Colony it mentions a video, taken at
the cemetery, of a robed figure. Have you heard this? If so, would you
know where I can view it? Also, your readers might be interested to know
that the old school and church are public and the church is said to be
haunted as well ("Some intrepid late-nite explorers have reported sounds
of a raucous sermon coming from within the darkened church.")
Other places mentioned in this article include Dead Man's Hole, Blue
Bonnet Cafe, Old Oak Ice House("...they found boot marks in the newly
set concrete...walking from the direction of the hanging tree straight
into the wall of the building. No footprints out."), The Devil's
Backbone in Wimberley.
My husband and I plan on checking these places out. If we have any
experiences, we will be sure to share them.

*****
From: Lizhya-@aol.com

A cousin of mine ( who has no history of seeing paranormal activity)
recently had a very strange experience at a Civil War Memorial in a
small cemetery in Bar Harbor, Maine.
Is there any history of apparitions in any Bar Harbor cemeteries
adjoining churches? Thanks in advance for any information you can give
me.

___________

TRUE EXPERIENCES
___________

From: fiamma-@interfree.it"

12 years ago a very good friend of mine died at 46, leaving a 38 years
old wife and three very young children. I was extremely fond of this
friend and his family so that I felt like helping them as much as I
could, spending a lot of time with them especially with the children.
After a while he was passed away, one night I was lying in my bed. My
husband was already sleeping and I was (I am absolutely sure of that)
awake and relaxed. I opened my eyes and at the bottom of the bed,
standing just over the bed I saw him, full of light. It was just like
seeing a movie on a screen.
He was looking at me smiling then he called my name and said: " I'm
here to thank you for what you are doing for my children". I wasn't
afraid, I was only extremely happy see him once again. Then he
disappeared.
Now, after 12 years I'm still taking care of them. I love them as they
were my children and I know, that he is taking care of us all, wherever
he is now.