Welcome Guest!
 Herb Evans
What In The Age Is Wrong With Milburn?  John Henry
 Sep 11, 2003 03:01 PDT

<b>WHAT IN THE AGE IS WRONG WITH MILBURN?<br>
By Herb Evans<br>
INTRODUCTION<br>
"The translators of our English version did a very poor job in
translating the Greek word ‘AION.’ It occurs a little more than 100 times
in the Greek New Testament. In our King James Version it is translated
'world' 32 times, 'for ever' 27 times, 'for ever and ever' 20 times, and
by a few other words sometimes. Only two times out of a little more than
100 is it properly translated 'age' (Eph. 2:7; Col. 1:26).  In my
honest opinion, two out of a hundred is a very poor record." --
Berea Baptist Banner (August 5,1998),  page 1, Editor Milburn
Cockrell<br>
Milburn Cockrell, editor of the Berea Baptist Banner (a Sovereign Grace
periodical), is obsessed with finding fault with the King James Bible.
His latest KJB improper word translation is the word "world"
for "aion" instead of "age." Cockrell says,
"Most all Greek scholars agree its primary meaning is ALWAYS age,
unless the context calls for a secondary meaning" (Ibid.). Cockrell
cites his sacred authorities: Young's Concordance (recently updated and
corrected in hundreds of places), J.R. Graves, the Analytical Greek
Lexicon, and "most" of the Greek scholars (who agree on
things), and so on. Apparently, Brother Cockrell does not consider A.J.
Strong to be a scholar, for Strong tells us that "aion" is
"by implication world" and "by extension perpetuity."
Still, Bible Correctors always give the benefit of the doubt to their
sacred, inspired, infallible, inerrant authorities, when and if they
differ with a lowly translation, which is automatically always
wrong.<br>
THIS PRESENT WORLD (AGE OF MAN)<br>
For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world (aiona) . .
.     -- 2 Tim. 4:10<br>
God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world
(aionos) began.  -- Acts 3:21<br>
Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world
(aionos).
-- Acts 15:18<br>
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom,
which God ordained before the world (aionon) . . . -- 1 Cor. 2:7<br>
. . . the mystery, which from the beginning of the world (aionon) hath
been hid in God . . .   -- Eph. 3:9<br>
We do not have to proceed farther than Webster to dismiss Cockrell's
charges of improper translation in 98 out of 100 places. Webster's 1977
Encyclopedic dictionary of the English language tells us that
"world" means the "AGE OF MAN." And that
"world" comes from the old English "Wer" (man) and
"Yldu" (age or aged). (Who doesn't know that a werewolf is a
manwolf?) The German "Welt" (world) comes from Wer and alt (age
or aged - Old High German). (The 1979 Webster's 20th Century Dictionary
gives 12 definitions of the word "world.") Bible Correctors,
with an agenda to advance, allow their preferred primary definition,
while they characterize KJO's with the worst possible secondary
definition, i.e., a planet world.<br>
Many KJB passages attach a time element to the word "world"
(aion), i.e., "this world" or "this present world, before,
since, beginning, and so on." "This present" world is the
"Age of Man" not the stone age nor the bronze age nor the
prehistoric age (sometimes called the prehistoric world). Still, a
good dictionary readily dispels most intimations of mistranslation,
error, or poor or improper translation "in our English
version."<br>
FOR EVER<br>
Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever ('owlam) . . .  -- Psa.
45:6<br>
. . . Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever (aiona tou aionos) . .
.    -- Heb. 1:8<br>
The LORD shall reign for ever and ever ('ad).    -- Exo.
15:18<br>
. . . he shall reign for ever and ever. (aionas ton aionon)
-- Rev. 11:15<br>
. . . the smoke thereof shall go up for ever ('owlam) . . . -- Isa.
34:10<br>
. . . And her smoke rose up for ever and ever (aionas ton
aionon).    -- Rev. 19:3<br>
The God and Father . . . which is blessed for evermore (aionas)  . .
. -- 2 Cor. 11:31<br>
. . . The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever
after the order of Melchisedec . . .  -- Heb. 7:21<br>
The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever
after the order of Melchizedek.   -- Psa. 110:4<br>
. . . the word of the oath, which was since the law, maketh the Son, who
is consecrated for evermore (aiona).    -- Heb. 7:28<br>
. . . behold, I am alive for evermore (aionas ton aionon) . .
.    -- Rev. 1:18<br>
Cockrell has a thorny problem here. How does he make the O.T. "for
ever" quotations match their N.T. counterparts without using the
word "for ever," especially in conjunction with the eternality
of God and the everlasting torment of the damned? According to Cockrell,
47 expressions of "aion" occur as "for ever" and
"for ever and ever" (not counting his omission of the
occurrences of "for evermore"). Will Brother Cockrell, like the
Jehovah's Witnesses, substitute "age of ages" or "era of
eras" or "eon of eons" or “an indefinite period of time or
dispensation?" Or will he force the Hebrew to match the Greek? We
are anxious to hear the editor's own proper translation of the 47 plus
occurrences, so that we can score him as he has scored the KJB (98 to
2).<br>
NEVER<br>
But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never (aiona)
forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal (aioniou) damnation . . . --
Mark 3:29<br>
. . . he shall never (aiona) see death . . . he shall never (aiona) taste
of death.  -- John 8:51, 52<br>
And I give unto them eternal (aionion) life; and they shall never (aiona)
perish . . . -- John 10:28<br>
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never (aiona) die. -- John
11:26<br>
When and if Milburn Cockrell solves his "for ever" and
"for evermore" dilemma, he immediately faces a
"never" problem and an "eternal and everlasting"
problem (the few other word translations  to which Cockrell
objects). The Greek words underlying these English words are all
variations of "aion." Of course, the JW's are anxious to hear
Bible correcting Baptists agree that eternal life and damnation are not
"eternal" or "for ever and ever" or "for
evermore." If “never dying” does not really meaning “never dying,”
what does it mean? Not dying for an age? (Since the initial writing of
this article, Joey Faust, in his quest to prove a Baptist Purgatory,
where Christians are slain at the judgement seat, has messed around with
these words to make his case.) This is the same old JW “for ever does not
mean forever” and “eternal does not mean eternal” and “never does not
mean never,”<br>
OUR ENGLISH VERSIONS<br>
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son,  whom he hath
appointed heir of all things,  by whom also he made the worlds
(aionas) 1:2  . . . Through faith we understand that the worlds
(aionas) were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen
were not made of things which do appear.    -- Heb.
11:3<br>
Are all the OLD English versions guilty of poor or improper translation
in Heb. 1:2; 11:3<br>
Tyndale - he made the worlde . . . the worlde was ordeyned by the worde
of God<br>
Great Bible - he made the worlde . . . the worlde was ordeyned by the
worde of God<br>
Geneva Bible - he made the worldes . . . the worlde was ordeined by the
worde of God<br>
Bishop's Bible - her made the worlds . . . the   worlds were
ordeined by the word of God<br>
RV 1881, 1901 - he made the worlds . . . the   worlds have been
framed by the word of God<br>
RSV - he created the world . . . the world was   created by the
word of God<br>
NKJV - He made the worlds . . . the worlds   were framed by the
word of God<br>
Should we accept Brother Cockrell's charges over both conservative and
even modern English versions (regarding his disputed passages)? Perhaps,
Cockrell really believes all the translators of "our English
versionS" did a very poor job!<br>
THE SEPTUAGINT AND OTHERS<br>
And he shall judge the world in righteousness    -- Psa.
9:8* (KJB O.T.)<br>
And he will judge the world (aiona) in righteousness -- Psa. 7:8*
(English translation of Septuagint  -  *chapter/verse numbers
not the same as KJB)<br>
Lamsda (Eng. Peshitta) - he made the worlds . . . worlds were framed by
the word of God<br>
German Bible - er auch die Welt gemacht hat (he also the world has
made)<br>
German Bible - die Welt durch Gottes Wort fertig ist  (world through
God's word is ready)<br>
Isn't it strange how the Septuagint, the Lamsda /Peshitta, and the German
Bible translators were also guilty of the same poor word translation of
"aion?"<br>
CONCLUSION<br>
We are dealing with "hit and run" anti-KJB brethren, who fancy
themselves to be orthodox. They will not respond, when their KJB charges
and indiscretions are disputed or questioned (we have even caught them
lying in print). We have tried to write them privately in these matters
and they have either ignored or refused dialogue, so we have no choice
but to publicly expose, correct, and rebuke their ongoing Bible
correcting agenda. We would suggest that our Berea Baptist editor allow
the English Bible to correct him rather than him the English Bible.<br>
Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages,
WORLD without end. Amen.    -- Eph. 3:21<br>
</b></html>