Welcome Guest!
 Herb Evans
The Anvil  John Henry
 Sep 12, 2003 01:03 PDT

By John Clifford  <br>
Last eve I passed beside a blacksmith's door <br>
And heard the anvil sing a vesper chime;<br>
Then, looking in, I saw upon the floor <br>
Old hammers, worn with blasting years of time.<br>
"How many anvils have you had," said I, <br>
"To wear and batter all these hammers so?'<br>
"Just ONE," said he; and then, with twinkling eye,<br>
"The anvil wears the hammers out, you know."<br>
And so I thought, the anvil of God's Word<br>
For ages, skeptic blows have been upon.<br>
Yest tho' noise of falling blows was heard<br>
The anvil is unharmed -- the hammers gone.<br>