Welcome Guest!
 Herb Evans
Atonement Versus Reconciliation  John Henry
 Sep 12, 2003 01:14 PDT

<b>ATONEMENT VERSUS RECONCILIATION<br>
By Herb Evans<br>
"For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the
death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his
life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus
Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement."  -- Rom.
5:10,11<br>
If you have succumbed to concordance type correction of the Bible
(supposing that the Bible can or must be uniformly translated), you, no
doubt, have subscribed to the popular assumption, regarding the word
"atonement," in the King James Bible (Romans 5:11), as being an
error, supposing that it really should or must be translated
"reconciliation."<br>
Since other passages contain the same underlying Greek words
"KATALLAGE" or "KATALLASSO," both translated with
some form of the word "reconcile," you probably feel quite safe
in making such an assumption (especially since Bible Correctors quote
Vine, Spurgeon, and the RV, for support, in this regard). Also, you may
have been impressed by certain psuedo-scholarly nuggets, regarding the
Hebrew words (KAPHAR, KOPHER) underlying "atonement, ransom, and the
‘covered’ or ‘pitched’ ark."<br>
You may have concluded by all this that the O.T. saints were only covered
or atoned for but not reconciled as opposed to NT saints (after the
cross), being "reconciled" rather than being atoned for or
merely "covered." But now, you must address the Old Testament,
in the following passages, and change the words "reconcile" and
"reconciliation" to some form of the word "atonement"
in order to be consistent and to cover the Bible Corrector’s
tracks.<br>
. . .when he goeth in to make an atonement in the holy place  . . .
he shall go out unto the altar that is before the LORD, and make an
atonement for it  . . . And when he hath made an end of reconciling
the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation . .
.           -- Lev.
16:17-20<br>
And one lamb out of the flock . . . to make reconciliation for them,
saith the Lord GOD . . . he shall prepare the  sin offering, and the
meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace  offerings, to
make reconciliation for the house of Israel  . . . so shall ye
reconcile the house.   --Ezek. 45:15-20<br>
After you have changed some form of the word "reconciliation,"
to some form of the word "atonement," in these places, you will
then have to do something about "atonement" in 2 Samuel 21:3,
which refers to reconciling the Gibeonites. “Wherefore David said unto
the Gibeonites, What shall I do for you? and wherewith shall I make the
atonement, that ye may bless the inheritance of the LORD?” – 2 Sam.
21:3<br>
Then you will have to do something about Shakespeare,
"somewhat" of a "small" authority on English words,
who says, "He seeks to make atonement between the Duke of Gloster
and your brothers." But do you know what to do with all this? Are
you not right back where you started?  Of course, you might save
your self some trouble by consulting Webster's Dictionary (1828) and its
definition of "atonement" and "reconciliation"
(which, incidently, does not seem to share the same theological or
etymological "bias" as Bible Correctors).  Webster (1828)
tells us that "reconciliation," in the Scripture,
means   . . . "atonement" and "expiation."
It also tells us that "atonement" means "agreement"
and "concord" and "reconciliation."<br>
You might also give the benefit of the doubt to the translators, who
already translated the Greek word twice, with a form of reconcile, in the
very same verse. You might grant them the sense to choose a shade of
meaning that links NT fulfillment with O.T. types, which demonstrates
that both O.T. and NT saints receive an atonement that really
"covers" (Rom. 4:7), based not on the blood of bulls but on the
precious blood of
Christ.
</b>*</html>