Welcome Guest!
 Herb Evans
The Bible Corrector Cult . . . Again  John Henry
 Sep 14, 2003 04:59 PDT

By Herb Evans

A "fool," it is said, can ask more questions in a day than a wise man can
ask in a lifetime. We have received forty questions, save one, from Gary
Hudson and Chris McHugh to the "King James Cult." Rather than answer my
last letters to them, they sent their most recent "questions only" strategy
(a subtle attack on the A.V. Bible and its defenders). You see. They have
been getting into trouble and losing credibility (even with their sponsors)
by exchanging letters with Bible believers. Now, they have decided to play
it safe.

We could not resist dealing with one question immediately. It was such a
rewarding study and such a blessing to see these Bible Correctors
desperately grunting and straining to build straw dummies to detract from
the A.V. Bible.

The new plan of attack is simple: try to take advantage of the three
hundred plus years that have passed and the changes in English since 1611.
Our friends display an obvious ignorance of Old English or else they are
deliberately distorting its delicate nuances. (A peculiar Book for a
peculiar people!)

"The Question(s) For the king James Cult" by Gary and Chris is as follows:

31. "Did Jesus teach a way for men to be worshiped according to Luke 14:10
in the KJV, contradicting the first commandment and what He said in Luke
4:8? (Remember, you may not go to the Greek for "light" if you are a

Jesus said to Satan, in Luke 4:8, "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and
him only shalt thou serve." (Gary only wishes that the word "only" was
before the word "worship.") Jesus tells a story, in Luke 14:10, "But when
thou are bidden (to a wedding) go and sit in the lowest room; that when he
that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend go up higher: then
shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with
thee." (Note: Jesus did not command nor teach anyone to worship anyone
here. He simply stated a fact (English passive voice and not the active voice).

We won't go to the Greek for "light"; yet, we will show how the Greek puts
Bible Correctors' "lights" out, but, first, we shall show in English that
the only error here is not in the KJB but among its detractors.

According to Webster (1828), the word "worship" comes from the Saxon
"worth--ship" -- the state of worth or worthiness [worthy-ship]. Among the
ways, in which this word may be and is used, Webster (1828) allows "To
respect; to honor; to treat with civil reverence. 'Nor worship'd (Check
that apostrophe, Gary!) with a waxen epitaph' Shakespeare." Webster quotes
Spencer, "Elfin born of noble state and muckle worship in his native land."
Webster (1828) also quotes Luke 14:10 in such a fashion. If we would only
stop here, that would be the end of it, but let us continue.

Tyndale's Bible, The Great Bible, The Geneva Bible, and the Bishop's Bible
all have the word "worship" (or worshippe or worshipp) in Luke 14:10. You
see. Gary would like Luke 14:10 to read like the corrupt R.V., "then shalt
thou have glory in the presence." Nevertheless, Gary has some problems in
both English and the Greek because of his nit-picky nature. In 1 Peter
2:10, the Great Bible reads, "speake evyll of them that excel in worshippe"
the Bishop's Bible reads, "speake evill of them that excell in worship
(worth--ship)." The A.V. reads, "speak evil of dignities." The RSV reads,
"revile the glorius ones," the reading that Gary likes. In Jude 8, also,
the RSV reads "speak evil of dignities," while the Rheims goes with
"blaspheme majestie."

So, what is the point to all this? The point is that the so-called
underlying Greek word, which our friends have on their minds, for all of
these passages, is "DOXA(S)" (from which we get our doxology). W.E. Vine,
our friends' authority and hero, says, under "Dignity . . . an appearance
commanding respect . . ." It sounds like something we just read . . .

If Luke 14:10 contradicts Luke 4:8, then Luke 14:10 ("DOXA") contradicts
John 5:44, "How can you believe, which receive honour ("DOXA") one of
another." Oh, what tangled webs we weave, when we, first, practice to
deceive. The so-called underlying Greek word, which our friends have on
their minds, in Luke 4:8, is "PROSKUNEO." Their authority, W.E. Vine, says,
"List of readings and renderings preferred by the American committee . . .
At the word 'worship' in Matt 2:2, etc., add the marginal note 'the Greek
word denotes an act of reverence, whether paid to man (see chap. 18:26) or
to God . . . '"

Does Matthew 18:26 ("The servant therefore fell down and worshipped him . .
." PROSKUNEO) contradict Luke 4:8 (PROSKUNEO)? We will let Gary and Chris
straighten out the mess that they have made.