Welcome Guest!
 Herb Evans
The Bible Corrector Doth Lisp  John Henry
 Sep 14, 2003 04:59 PDT

By Herb Evans

He that commitETH sin is of the devil . . . 1 John 3:8

Whosoever is born of God DOTH not commit sin. -- 1 John 3:9

Modern Bible Correctors, who have given the world the American Standard
Version, the Good News for Modern Man, and the Living(?) Bible(?) have been
careful not to copy the Revised Version and the Revised Standard Version
with their "th" endings changed to "s" endings in the above passages. Not
liking the A.V. ending, no doubt, fearing accidently LISPING the King James
terminology into their more modern perversions. They decided, instead, on
terms like "continue" to sin and "keep on sinning" and "practicing sin."

If a verb ends in "th," they believe a continued action is intended, but
this gets them into all kinds of trouble. For example, a divorced person is
one that commitETH adultery under certain circumstances, resulting in
PERPETUAL or CONTINUED adultery in some versions and watered down "keeps
on" and "practices" in other versions. A fornicator in 1 Cor. 6:1, who
commitETH fornication, would be guilty of perpetual fornication in some
versions to the dismay of those, who think that fornication is a premarital
affair of a betrothed virgin. Nevertheless, then, other versions would have
her practicing or keeping on breaking her betrothal, also hardly acceptable.

Without regard to the Greek tenses and senses, we need to examine the
English of First John three with some spiritual common SENSES taking note
of those, who would corrupt our English Bibles with nonsense. Imagine 1
John starting out by saying, "the world does not keep on knowing us or
does not practice knowing us instead of "the world knowETH us not." Or the
world does not continue to know us or perpetually know us. How about,
"Whosoever keeps on or continues or practices abiding in him does not keep
on or continue to or practices sin instead of "Whosoever abidETH in him
sinnETH not. Or "whosoever continues to or keeps on or practices sin does
not continue or does not practice to see him (3:6). Or "whosoever is born
of God does not practice sin; for his seed practices remaining in him
instead of "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed
remainETH in him (3:9).

Certainly, to change "God knowETH all things" to "God practices knowing all
things (3:20) would be the height of absurdity. Also, the change of "he
abidETH in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us" to "he practices
abiding in us should raise the stiffest eyebrow (3:24).

So much for modern inconsistency, but what about the annoying proposition
of a child of God not being born again and being of the devil if he sins,
if we allow the KJB reading to stand? For a child of God not only sins, he
keeps on sinning, he continues to sin, and he practices sin. So, watering
down the word will not solve the problem, which does need to be addressed.

Obviously, the same epistle makes provision for a Christian's sins (plural
- 1 John 1:9) and makes deceivers of those, who would deny such sins
(1:8). 1 John 3:9 states plainly that a born of God person CANNOT SIN
without any "doth" or "th" ending. Personally, we do not know of anyone
that is not able to sin, if we are talking about the flesh, the old man, or
the carnal nature. Still, if we do as we are supposed to in counting that
part of us dead, then we can correctly say that the new creature, the new
nature, the seed that remainETH in us, that which is born of God, truly

All this is merely old English old verb conjugation. Older verb forms had
special inflections in both the second and third person singular. The
suffix - est denoted the second person singular. The suffix - eth denoted
the third person singular. Sometimes the "e" is dropped as in doth
versus doeth. The Hebrew and Greek and other languages inflect verbs in
number and person. The capability exists also in the second and third
person in old English. So, what is the big deal, Bible Correctors?