Welcome Guest!
 Indaba
Why Zimbabweans won't wed in November  Jupiter Punungwe
 Oct 27, 2011 10:05 PDT
In terms of OUR culture no traditional ceremonies are held in the
month of the goat November. (Mwedzi wembudzi). This does not just end
with marriages but all traditional ceremonies including rites such as
cleansing of the grave (kurova guva) and mabira (spiritual ceremonies).

Marriage taboo: Why Zimbabwean won't wed in November

26 October 2011Last updated at18:07 GMTHelp
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/7277283.stm>

Every society has its own traditions and superstitions, and in Zimbabwe
getting married in the month of November is a taboo.

The belief goes back many, many years, with a fear that a November
wedding will bring bad luck.

"November weddings are a big no-no... I would have had a November
wedding but I think my parents would have a problem with a November
wedding. My parents would have had a heart attack. My grandparents would
not have attended," a bride in Harare, Tinashe, told the BBC.

Our correspondent Steve Vickers sent this report to the BBC's Network
Africa programme.

*For more African news from the BBC download the*Africa Today podcast
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/africa>.