Welcome Guest!
 Indaba
Re: [zimsite] Re: [Mwananchi] Why Zimbabweans won't wed in November  Jupiter Punungwe
 Oct 27, 2011 20:30 PDT

James

I do not recall any specific folklore explaining why traditional
ceremonies are not allowed in November. All I know is that it a taboo we
grew up with.

Prof Simoyi mentions caves that were used to hide from Nguni invaders
raiders. Raiders where not just Nguni and the practice if using caves as
retreat bases while under attack was already well established before the
Nguni came along.

Let me remind him that the so called Shona of today were not a
homogeneous entity. They referred themselves by names such as VaTsunga,
VaHera, VaBarwe and so on. They often raided each other and fought among
themselves to a great extend.

--
"I don't have prejudice against meself. My father was a white and my mother was black. Them call me half-caste or whatever. Me don't dip on nobody's side. Me don't dip on the black man's side nor the white man's side. Me dip on God's side, the one who create me and cause me to come from black and white." -- Nesta Robert Marley, Jamaican Musician