Welcome Guest!
 Indaba
Re: [Mwananchi] Dollar shortage bites  Jupiter Punungwe
 Feb 16, 2012 20:09 PST

On 16/02/2012 23:42, Prof. Reuben H Simoyi wrote:
 Three nice things may come out of this:

a) Sense will prevail and we will adopt the Rand as our currency
I do not think South Africa will allow Zimbabwe to join the Rand Union,
especially given the belligerent behaviour of our leadership when it
comes to their spending habits. The Rand would run the risk of taking
hard knocks from spending patterns outside the control of the SA
government by a sizeable economy.

No prof I do not agree, the solution is not what currency we adopt but
what a leaders do. As long as they remain hugely extravagant, greedy, as
long as they overspend on themselves, their cousins, girlfriends, casual
intimate girlfriends, etc, the Zimbabwe economy will NEVER be stable.

Disciplined leadership is the key. Neither Zanu-PF nor the MDC is
showing signs of providing us with that any time soon.

 b) Prices of goods may come down and inflation slowed and
c) The country will make a stronger shift towards plastic money.

Cash leaves little or no trail. Plastic money leaves a very clear trail.
Corruption relies on vague unrecorded transactions. As long as leaders
want to be corrupt, it is very unlikely that they will push for plastic
money.