Welcome Guest!
 Indaba
Re: [Mwananchi] Coconuts Strike Again in Mali  Jupiter Punungwe
 Mar 24, 2012 02:42 PST
Prof Ayittey

I am not whining over Gadhafi but over the fate of millions of civilians
in Libya and the region who have been plunged into the midst of serious
instability all because of myopic NATO vision. They are totally unable
to see beyond the range of their bombs.

It seems you are totally unable to understand my viewpoint. From the
very beginning my concerns have been about ordinary civilians who would
be left at the mercy of loosely controlled armed young men, which is
what always happens in most conflicts. You Professor Ayittey do not care
about those ordinary Africans.

Why are you also ignoring the fact that the crisis in Mali was directly
precipitated by NATO-led destabilisation of Libya. Here is the chain of
events 1) NATO bombed Gadhafi's 'command and control' structures leaving
Gadhafi's armouries ungaurded. NATO also air-dropped weapons into the
region without knowing who exactly they were dropping weapons to 2)
Taureg rebels (and others) helped themselves to what they could of
Gadhafi's guns leaving them better armed than the Malian army. 2) On
realising that they were now outgunned, the Malian army turned against
the government leading to the current coup.

Now Prof if you fail to see the clear link between NATO actions and the
Malian coup then you must have the vision of a mole. In short there is
no way you can be critical of the Malian coup without being critical of
the events - and players - that led directly to it. Unless of course you
are a hypocrite.

My position from the very beginning was that a negotiated solution
should be sought to avoid instability in Libya. I didn't foresee that
the instability in Libya would lead to instability in Mali (which it
has). But now all of us can see it.

My opposition to gratuitous violence such as that undertaken by NATO has
got nothing to do with Gadhafi, but everything to do with knowing the
effects of that violence on society. I lived my pre-teen and early years
through Zimbabwe's Liberation War. I witnessed what war does to
communities. I am therefore not as naive as you are about war.

Jupiter

On 24/03/2012 05:31, George Ayittey wrote:

Jupiter,

I am really FED UP with your constant whining over NATO bombing of
Libya. Khaddafi is DEAD, get it? No amount of whining will bring him
back. Don't give me this crap about "negotiations." Khaddafi was not
interested, period. He could have saved himself; could have done what
Ben Ali did. But he didn't. Tell us the way FORWARD in Libya.

We have a new crisis in Mali. Whining over NATO bombing solves
nothing. In the struggle for freedom in Africa, you lead, follow or
clear the hell out of the way.

George

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Jupiter Punungwe <punu-@gmail.com
<mailto:punu-@gmail.com>> wrote:

     What you forget to mention is that this was precipitated by the
     actions of NATO coconuts in Libya.

     On 23 March 2012 06:26, George Ayittey <ayit-@gmail.com
     <mailto:ayit-@gmail.com>> wrote:

         Huge setback for democracy in Mali as military coconuts take
         over. They can’t battle rebels; they FLED. Yet, they want to rule.

         We are FED UP with these military vagabonds, who have ruined
         country after country in West Africa. They did a number on
         Nigeria.

         Mali is land-locked and all ECOWAS countries should close
         their borders to Mali. ECOWAS should send ECOMOG troops to
         dislodge them coconuts from power and restore President Toure.

         Head of the civil servants association should call for an
         immediate CIVIL SERVICE STRIKE and demand the restoration of
         Prez Toure.

         Shut down the civil service and any military junta will
         collapse. Not enough soldiers to run the civil service.

         Civil service strike in 1978 brought down the military regime
         of Col Acheampong in Ghana; another in 1979 brought down that
         of Lt.Gen Akuffo.

         A civil service strike in 1989 in Benin paralyzed the
         government, collapsed the banking system, forced Marxist
         military dictator, Matthieu Kerekou, to renounce Marxism and
         call for a national conference, which forced Kérékou to
         release political prisoners and arrange and lose 1991 elections.

     --
     with a Yahoo ID

__._,_.___

Join us at Mwananchi an African Forum at
http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/mwananchi

Mwananchi is now on facebook join us at
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php#/group.php?gid=61997445929
This online initiative is part of an ongoing dialogue among Africans
about how to address the challenges facing the continent.

Change settings via the Web
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mwananchi/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdmp2YWVjBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzI0OTg4NjIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NDQ0NTk1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEzMzI1NTk4OTA->
(Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
<mailto:Mwananch-@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
| Switch to Fully Featured
<mailto:Mwananchi-f-@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Fully%20Featured>

Visit Your Group